Suvarnabhumi PAD Protest Continues

Jai Dee

WOW!!!!!! Everyone please take a deep breath and think before you post. Also please forget the petty semantics over the definition of terrorist versus another word. The point is that PAD has made millions of people scared and disrupted by overtaking major travel throughout the world. The world is watching and this may take over a decade to be forgotten. From hotels to banks to restaurants to bar girls to janitors...many millions of people will lose money and jobs. Investors will take their money out of new projects and many persons who wanted to retire here are changing their plans. Use your brains and just think how bad this would become if all RED SHIRTS and all YELLOW SHIRTS started a war. This has gone beyond the point of debate.

WE need a royal intervention.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tourists are canceling their Christmas holidays. Millions of jobs could be lost.

It already affects the tourist industry in the south of Thailand. Germany started evacuating their citizens from Phuket today. Sounds all very dramatic. Koh Tao is deserted and cancellations won't stop coming. Big losses not only to the diving industry that brings most of the money to the island but to all other businesses on Koh Tao as well. And it won't be over soon.

Koh Tao is deserted like every year at this time, as a little bit of weather-research would have shown you. We have monsoon time here (northwestern it's called I think) until mid of december, read the other news thread about the 19 drowned people. Ever tried diving in a storm? :o

Now I didn't say all this isn't very bad for the tourism and its future in Thailand (incl. my business!), but it's not ours to stop this so let's stay reasonable, hope for a peacful ending and help where we can.

but it is worth destroying the country because Taksin did.....

Not did, Gravelash, he WILL, if they don't stop him.

A week without an airport is nothing compaing to revolution into Republic of Thailand.

Sorry for the delay Plus, had other things on tonight (mind you I rarely revisit old posts anyway). Would tend to disagree as you know already. Mind you the concept of a Republic as you mention is the crux of the matter isn't it? Suspect that prior all this the concept wouldn't have floated anyway, after all this who knows?

The whole corruption thing is just about not saying what it is really all about. And no, I think in the end as countless Thais lose their jobs and companies go bust, I think closing the airport by the rich and powerful who will not feel those effects is far worse than what you allude to.

In the end I would just like to see this end and a stable competent government in place. I don't care for one side or the other, but I believe the damage done was not necessary.

well rainman i suppose if you were concerned about your own physical welfare it would be safer to don a red shirt than a yellow one

Which is what I said :o

I recommend we all get out our red shirts tomorrow and help honest and hard working Thais get their country back from the hands of these domestic terrorists.

Isn't it sad that you now need to fear for your life wearing a yellow shirt? The PAD is abusing the yellow color in Thailand for their terrorist acts. Sad.

Any more up-to-date news anyone? My ASTV stream cuts so frequently that it's impossible to get the jist

The Chief of Police has just announced that Hull City is winning 0-1 against Stoke. Stay tuned for further updates. Something is happening here!

I recommend we all get out our red shirts tomorrow and help honest and hard working Thais get their country back from the hands of these domestic terrorists.

Yes lets claim the country back and give it back to the thieving, stealing, conceiving, lying and killing Shinawatra-clan! What a fantastic idea!

Think more Robin Hood when you think of Thaksin

:o:D :D :D :D :wai: :

Yeah... 100 baht handout for you and 100 billion baht handout for me. Please dont forget to vote for me!

Robin Hood is to Thaksin what a pancake is to a cow pie.

The robin flew away and left just the hood.

Or maybe Thaksin is the Robin Hood who took the billions of baht from the lottery which he controlled (he chaired the 3 man control committee) - took bagfulls of that money and doled it out to the pu yai ban (village heads) who bought the most votes for him.

Joe --- again you are avoiding the whole 'terrorism' thing you claim. There is no way to make a claim that this is 'terrorism'.

Is it good for Thailand? Who knows? It certainly isn't a tactic I would have chosen. Damaging "for years to come" is supposition. It certainly is causing damage right now but is it more or less damage than getting the convicted Thaksin excused by his brother-in-law illegally? Is it like surgery, where you must cause some damage to affect a cure? Right now it sucks ... but it may be that it really was the lesser of two evils.

JD ---again you are avoiding the terrorism claim because no one was hurt by the PAD's irresponsible actions. Seiging an airport and breaking into the control tower during its operations is an act of terrorism plain and clear. The disruption could have caused a 747 to crash and kill 400 tourist. It was lucky no one was hurt. If during 911 the passengers had got control of the airplanes and they landed and no one was hurt would that make it not an act of terrorism?

Actually, it is not factually correct to say noone was hurt (physically). The whole world saw the video on BBC on the first day with PAD thugs shooting on a public road. I am not sure about the casualties there, but they certainly weren't rubber bullets, and criminal intent was evident. Also, yesterday's shooting by a PAD gunman of a few people talking in their private premises inflicted several injuries and one death. I am sure there are more to come very soon, maybe some dead cops tonight.

Say whatever you like about Thaksin, but he tried to make Thailand a modern country, and he never exercised politics by trying to destroy the country.

What is happening now is complete insane, and I follow it with great sadness. Whatever the outcome of this, there will be no winners, only losers. The reputation Thailand has spent decades to build up as a safe destination for tourists and foreign investment, has been destroyed in a few days.

We can only speculate how much damage this will cause to the Thai economy, but the cost will be huge, and ordinary Thai people will start paying the price first when this is over. Businesses are surely already planning how Thailand can be avoided in the future. Tourists are canceling their Christmas holidays. Millions of jobs could be lost.

Arguing that this is only causing some inconveniences to passengers missing their flight is ridiculous. 3% of world cargo passes through Bangkok.

And this is happening in the middle of one of the worlds worst global financial crisis ever. Thailand has never needed a competent and efficient government as much as now.

When countries all over the world spend all their energy on how to avoid economic meltdown, Thailand does whatever it can to create one. If this is not madness...I don't know what is.

Thailand was 14th most dangerous places in the world before this month.Thailand has worked hard to earn the reputation of being dishonest..copyrights, freedom of speech, consistently idiotic politics where overthrowing an government (unheard of in this day and age) is a pastime...Thailand has always had a bad reputation. Only because I''m connected with Thailand do I see things completely different than just last year. Of all countries, Thailand was one of the lowest on my respect list...known for rampant prostitution, scams and lies. People are shocked when I reveal I've got a Thai wife...they ask some interesting questions...then when they ask again, they ask how my Taiwan wife is doing? Not much is known about Thailand in the mainstream except for our little niche here. This could be a forum from Cyprus for all anyone knows and we'd think the news in Cyprus was affecting everyone but in all truth, national news may mention in passing but India is the interested story of the week...India has come a long way from where it has been and actually has a dependable workforce and is trying to step up as a regional world power. Thailand has the money but it is all squandered. My first time there, I was predicting in 5 years, Thailand will be the Hollywood (only referring to wealth, not the real weirdos there) of Asia...but after I saw how deep seated the corruption was from tip top to the lowest of the low, I now realize why I still can get so many baht with the USD and this will continue for some time. Japan, on the other hand has handled things differently, so has Taiwan and South Korea...but there's Thailand making money on sex tourism as a larg percent of GDP...that's what Thailand is known for....lack of morals, ethics and rule of law and rule of international law...the copycat capital of the world (even though China does it more, Thailand has the reputation because of its size and scale of copycats and lack of originality. Anything made worthy of money, Thais will copy and sell for a buck...not a good reputation and it's quite unfortunate. You can see people in stores picking something up, seeing a "made in Thailand" stamp on it, then the value goes down and it sits on the shelf likely being a copycat of an original idea or style. What have Thais historically brought to the world? Famous ingenuity, inventions? Nope, just professional mimics selling their family members for cash. Anything for a buck.

I don't like it now that I love the people there (minus the snooty old money and intolerably prejudice caste system believers)

Unfortunately all our president and most leaders have said is it's unfortunate or a quick one sentence condemnation of what's happening and that's that. "This is bad, they should stop" seems all any big leaders have to say because not many on the world stage care, unfortunately. It would be nice to see Thailand get a reputation--not worried about losing it any more than it already has...never had a good one to start. Think about how you felt, your opinions, your friends before you had the idea to visit (if there are any who had no contact prior to certain later point in life). Thailand likely meant nothing except cool pad thai when you could find a place that made it....Thai food is great...other than that, how's Taiwan?

It is very harsh how you say it but there is more then a hinge of thruth in it . :o . That is also why corruption is on every scale of this society . Wheather you believe it or not , that indeed is what Thailand is known for . Nice beaches and a good nightlife ( or let us say prostitutionnetwork ) together with marvellous temples . They are not known in the world for inventions of any kind and even myself cannot think of any invention being Thailands original . However , this is a 3th world country and things like this are normal for a 3th world country . Thailand is struggling to get out of 3th world country and was succeeding due to all the industries mentioned above .This brought Western people in and together with their money there was a good connection status being build ( export and transport ) . That together with more and more people going there and the effort of a very succesfull businessman ( Thaksin was a very succesfull one ) , who brought in big international companies the country was booming . Now they are being pushed back in and will stay there again for how long ... nobody knows .

I don't mean to sound harsh...I am just frustrated battling opinions similar to my former opinion (nothing irritates you more than your former self). Now I have a soft spot for my new family who happen to be dirt poor and my heart goes out to them. I cannot imagine what they feel and I only wish I made a lot of money to help them all out. I can keep them fed, but I'd like to do so much more than that and I am doing with a lot less in order to change their lives for the better. I can understand why people rob, steal, sell themselves, etc for their family because my feelings are just 1% of what their blood families feel. I eat cheap food because buying something expensive, even any luxury means that's money I don't have to help my new family. I don't like it one bit but I understand why people do what they do. Reputations, it's all so very sad and Thailand by every right should be far more developed than it is...I'm not talking about the pretty buildings and the wealthy people who have likely generations ago gotten wealthy by connections to some corrupt government of the past (seems they pay off all their family and friends, that's how you succeed in Thailand).

Now I see a class warfare where the old money and those who have money to go to nice schools dislike those who had to leave school in 5th grade to work in the rice fields or their families would starve...then comes farang with more money than they've seen in a lifetime throwing it like it's candy! I can understand the desperation and wanting to do SOMETHING to just get a leg up, get ahead...and when it comes to copyrights, ethics, morals, forget it! They want to help their family eat and maybe their children have and education and their children to have maybe a small business...

One reason I love Thai people (not the snooty culture but the real jai dee) is because they have family cohesiveness I've never seen in my country. I love them as my own blood, more than my own family because my own family...well, put it this way; yesterday was Thanksgiving and I was home alone. Thanksgiving is the American #1 family holiday. What did I do? I read and worried about what's happening in Thailand half a world away from the people I love. My family doesn't care so a marriage will benefit me because I get a family again! I HATE the reputation Thailand has and they've done it to themselves. My wife, her region and her family have nothing to do with Thai reputation or what it's become because the ethnic Thais hate her and her kind. They changed the name to exclude others...from Siam to Thailand favoring the ethnic Thais, the yellow shirts, those who feel they deserve their hold on money and power...yes, the same yellow shirts who believe Isaan people are too uneducated and too stupid to be allowed to vote. Amazing they voice this out loud and can look themselves in the mirror that night and claim they are Buddhist people! I've been present when strangers (ethnic BKK Thais) have said horrible things to her and it hurts because she identifies with Thailand but ethnic Thais tell her she's not really Thai but some redheaded stepchild of the country, basically (if you're a farang, you'll understand this term).

My resentment comes from good hearted people just trying to get by and feed their families, keep them out of poverty and they're treated like sh*T. No wonder they want to leave their country! They'll never have any opportunity with such prejudice. I can't even do business with a company because they're busy asking her why she has money and what does she do for money, how she got their number, what is she doing with a phone...when all she wants to do is ask about pricing for wholesale shoes for export to America...she can't even get that far because these people are so horribly nasty and outwardly so...so I can't do any business through her because they give her hel_l and their snobby attitude is more important than making money and doing business. Nice Buddhist people! Now I have to fly there myself just to talk to these stuck up snooty ethnic Thais when she's right there a taxi ride away and can't facilitate some business so I can try to make a little more money to send to her poor family...

It took some pushing to get her to tell me about this (and how it hurts her and seems embarrass her reinforcing society's demand that she feel low and act low) but she had to tell me why she can't go to this business and price some crates of shoes and ship them to me. This, to me is unbelievable but the resentment is deep and horrible from Thai to Thai. She calls herself Thai, they don't consider her truly Thai. Not many will tell you this because it is terribly humiliating. Some of you may be insulated, being married to a Thai with money...or an ethnic Thai. I see things from a different point of view, a different Thailand than some and I don't like what I see. I told her at least in my country she's the same as everyone else...we even elected a black president, so skin color matters less than it ever has. I told her dark skin is beautiful but everyone wants to be white while the farangs want to be dark. Thailand "land of the free" is just another lie of many...put on a good face and treat your brother/sister with disdain. I hope Thailand continues its struggles until something clicks. This is why I feel so harsh about Thailand; it's a different Thailand than many may know.

Congratulations with this excellent posting. I know its the truth, because if you are of Lao or Kmher origin and you have a dark skin your changes in life diminish with 50%. My wife is of ethnic Chinese and she feel upset and angry about it also.

'Inexplicably, at the main expressway entrance where PAD reinforcements

flow in constantly, police have neither the orders, inclination or fire-power to

stop a single vehicle'.

Great job plods keep up the good work. I get the feeling that the police just like the army don't want to get involved in this debacle.

Cheers, Rick

JD ---again you are avoiding the terrorism claim because no one was hurt by the PAD's irresponsible actions. Seiging an airport and breaking into the control tower during its operations is an act of terrorism plain and clear. The disruption could have caused a 747 to crash and kill 400 tourist. It was lucky no one was hurt. If during 911 the passengers had got control of the airplanes and they landed and no one was hurt would that make it not an act of terrorism?

Joe --- 3 people were allowed into the control tower if I remember correctly. The PAD are having a peaceful sit-in at the airport.

Could Could Could ----Joe get real they didn't kill anyone. They didn't beat people. They took a group of people, walked into the airport area .. set up some defenses and sat down ... turned on the music .. chatted with the people they were inconveniencing ...

Terrorist is just a word you are bandying about to to dehumanize them, they have been overall a very calm and polite group when it came to talking with the passengers at the airport.

This is a battle for the future of Thailand and frankly very little else matters to these people (and if anything else mattered to the Gov't other than holding power and protecting their benefactor, they would have called new elections)

By Ed Cropley

BANGKOK, Nov 29 (Reuters) - The assault by the People's Alliance for

Democracy (PAD) was swift and savage, a head-on charge by a convoy of vehicles

speeding down the wrong side of an expressway into scores of unarmed police.

As the terrified officers fled, some of them jumping through the open

door of accelerating police vans, wild-eyed young men burst from the PAD

vehicles, attacking with sling shots, fireworks, iron bars and wooden stakes.

The onslaught lasted no more than 15 seconds but left the five-lane

highway, the main access route to Bangkok's besieged Suvarnabhumi airport,

littered with broken glass and discarded police helmets and truncheons.

Ok all you pro-PAD members who claim "peaceful protest" ad infinitum on here, please give me one reason not to call you're PAD friends TERRORIST SCUM.

Many of you cried over this terminology ealier today and yesterday so I imagine you have some explanation or excuse for PAD's terroristic activities.

Joe --- 3 people were allowed into the control tower if I remember correctly. The PAD are having a peaceful sit-in at the airport.

Could Could Could ----Joe get real they didn't kill anyone. They didn't beat people. They took a group of people, walked into the airport area .. set up some defenses and sat down ... turned on the music .. chatted with the people they were inconveniencing ...

Terrorist is just a word you are bandying about to to dehumanize them, they have been overall a very calm and polite group when it came to talking with the passengers at the airport.

This is a battle for the future of Thailand and frankly very little else matters to these people (and if anything else mattered to the Gov't other than holding power and protecting their benefactor, they would have called new elections)

allowed into the control tower? are you kidding me?? they went to do sightseeing?? would I be allowed to get in there next time I fly? at least I pay the airport tax mind u.

While I can't see anything wrong in any govt wanting to hold power (actually, isn't it part of the responsibility of being elected?), protecting the name of democracy just might matter to them as well. (Not that I believe so for a fact)

By Ed Cropley

BANGKOK, Nov 29 (Reuters) - The assault by the People's Alliance for

Democracy (PAD) was swift and savage, a head-on charge by a convoy of vehicles

speeding down the wrong side of an expressway into scores of unarmed police.

As the terrified officers fled, some of them jumping through the open

door of accelerating police vans, wild-eyed young men burst from the PAD

vehicles, attacking with sling shots, fireworks, iron bars and wooden stakes.

The onslaught lasted no more than 15 seconds but left the five-lane

highway, the main access route to Bangkok's besieged Suvarnabhumi airport,

littered with broken glass and discarded police helmets and truncheons.

Ok all you pro-PAD members who claim "peaceful protest" ad infinitum on here, please give me one reason not to call you're PAD friends TERRORIST SCUM.

Many of you cried over this terminology ealier today and yesterday so I imagine you have some explanation or excuse for PAD's terroristic activities.

Here goes...did anyone count the police heads?

The PAD has used violence according to some of the posted news reports. Also the Government would be re elected (under the current rules) if they did call new elections. They have nothing to lose.

Cheers, Rick.

The PAD has used violence according to some of the posted news reports. Also the Government would be re elected (under the current rules) if they did call new elections. They have nothing to lose.

Cheers, Rick.

Rick ... in response to being attacked it seems ....

As for the government being re-elected? that is incredibly doubtful! They are a coalition government made up of parties that promised their constituents NOT to form a government with the PPP (and yes the Demos got more votes overall)

Tropo ... any injuries? or just 'vibrant writing'?

I'm not sure. I wasn't there and I'm getting my info from reports just as the rest of us are.

Whether or not there were injuries doesn't change PAD's intent to terrorize anyone standing in the way of their goals.