Suvarnabhumi PAD Protest Continues

Jai Dee

the ethnic Thais hate her and her kind. They changed the name to exclude others...from Siam to Thailand favoring the ethnic Thais

:o

The name change from Siam, to Thailand (Muang Thai) was designed to more inclusive, not less. Siam refers specifically to the Ayutthaya central Thailand civilization and peoples that have dominated the region. The change of the name to Thailand was during the irredentist period during the 1930s, when the government wished to reunite all the Tai language speaking peoples in to a single country again. The change was to include everyone in the region that speaks a Tai language, rather than using a name that applied to a minority of people in the central Thailand area.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I don't get is what do the PAD hope to accomplish besides making Thailand look like a banana republic.

IMHO a military dictatorship. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Exactly. You must have been born in NY. My father taught me the same line. Frankly, I didn't grasp it until many years later.

Like...right now. The learning curve is based on fluid dynanmics, which are always changing. As are circumstance.

Welcome to the party.

Enjoy the ride.......................................... :D

Excuse edit: enjoy the view. Plan for the worst, hope for the best. The party(s) will be elsewhere.

:o

Edited by digitele

..... My wife, her region and her family have nothing to do with Thai reputation or what it's become because the ethnic Thais hate her and her kind. They changed the name to exclude others...from Siam to Thailand favoring the ethnic Thais, the yellow shirts, those who feel they deserve their hold on money and power...yes, the same yellow shirts who believe Isaan people are too uneducated and too stupid to be allowed to vote. Amazing they voice this out loud and can look themselves in the mirror that night and claim they are Buddhist people! I've been present when strangers (ethnic BKK Thais) have said horrible things to her and it hurts because she identifies with Thailand but ethnic Thais tell her she's not really Thai but some redheaded stepchild of the country, basically (if you're a farang, you'll understand this term)....

Uh, apart from the class divisions, there is also an obvious ethnic division between the two political sides with the PAD being the party dominated by the Sino-Thai elite of Bangkok who have also convinced some urbanized Thais that there is some sort of shared self-interest in joining the PAD. It is the PAD that spews hatred against the ethnic Tais (Lao/Isaan, Khon Muang, etc) in the outlying provinces from Bangkok. Thus there are far more ominous undercurrents in this current conflict than many are willing to admit.

Wow ! .. I had no idea that Thaksin and almost all of the TRT/PPP folks were actually NOT Sino-Thai! I also had no idea that southerners ARE SinoThai!

Jopha you need to possibly rethink that last post!

Yes and the PAD leaders often criticize Mr T for his lack of 'Thai-ness'. Among the leadership, the Chinese ethnic quotient is about the same on either side.

Just watching TNN live and it looks like the PAD are having a shift change. Truck loads leaving and truck loads arriving. Although i hate to say this they look to be very organised. If the Police were as well organised they would stop the numbers arriving from entering the airport.

Cheers, Rick

Here's some good quotes from Sunai of Human Rights Watch in Bangkok

"The PAD has become an armed group," Sunai said. While the group's guards are armed, most PAD members occupying the airports are not. They are a mix of middle-aged women and men, and some parents with children.

Sunai strongly criticized PAD leaders for not demanding that parents with children leave the airports, as a police move against the protesters was being prepared. "They are getting like Jim Jones," Sunai said, referring to the American religious cult leader who led more than 900 of his followers in a mass suicide in Guyana in 1978.

Sondi says PAD will leave after Dec 2 if PPP is disbanded... then why is PAD doing what they are doing now? Why are they causing this chaos?

After the PPP is disbanded, Sondi will find a new reason to protest.

This domestic terrorist belongs in prison. Nothing less.

Behave :o

Sondi says PAD will leave after Dec 2 if PPP is disbanded... then why is PAD doing what they are doing now? Why are they causing this chaos?

Behave? An armed terrorist and his followers are holding the country hostage.

Lost all hope of the governement freeing up the airport , it will only be free when the PAD decide

This round goes to the PAD

my feeling is that next year Thakisin is going to try all out to reclaim government in Thailand , thats when things will

really get messy , for now thougth the PAD have won,

Back on OT. I suggest in future, nobody reply to the troll posts supporting PAD.

<SNIPPED>

Wow that is bold. So you are saying that people supporting PAD here are trolls? If this is not what you are saying, please clarify. Because this sounds a little elitist on your part.

<edited for bad spelling>

No they are supporting acts of terrorism. Trolls I can deal with. Terrorist and their supporters I can not.

You weren't exactly the poster to which i replied. Nevertheless, perhaps you should look deep into the depths of those you support before you throw around terms like "terrorist" or terrorism.

get da 'ell outa here. go join 'em in swampy if u have the guts. TERRORIST

just shown on BBC and reported that <MONDAY is the earliest the airport will open BUT this is wishful thinking.

No airline will fly in or out till the airport is cleaned and FULLY searched. So your looking at 2 full days before operation. Singapore and United have on their sites that no fllights before the 7th.

To be truthful I dont know how anyone can give a date at all until PAD is gone.

My scenerio;

The pollice will eventually get them out, (Somchai will not quit). The airport will be trashed and whomever Taksin gets to be the next pm PM will spend another $50,000,000 to "repair" the airport so they can all make twice as much as they made before in Profits and prehaps get it right this time.

Who suffers...... that never changes.... the People

Edited by phuketrichard

I don't think that one can (or should) use the word "terrorist" for Sondhi -- I think that his activities are certainly *criminal* and (questionably) "treasonable" ... but they are *not* terror-related.

hmmm no offence but someone is gonna get burned.... i would have so many things to tell you about Thai people that you obviously seem to ignore.... just meditate on this: " never listen to a story from only one side" and check one thing when your new family is referring to you while speaking Thai do they say "farang", "mann" or do they refer to you by your name. if its "farang" or "mann" please, just run away...

good luck with your new family

LOL, another retard newbie who red "Private Dancer" and thinks he knows everything about Thailand.

You obviously don't speak Thai well to make statements like that, otherwise you would know that between close friends and relatives, especially among working class thai peoples, they call each other using the word "man" quite often.

Back on OT. I suggest in future, nobody reply to the troll posts supporting PAD.

<SNIPPED>

Wow that is bold. So you are saying that people supporting PAD here are trolls? If this is not what you are saying, please clarify. Because this sounds a little elitist on your part.

<edited for bad spelling>

No they are supporting acts of terrorism. Trolls I can deal with. Terrorist and their supporters I can not.

You weren't exactly the poster to which i replied. Nevertheless, perhaps you should look deep into the depths of those you support before you throw around terms like "terrorist" or terrorism.

get da 'ell outa here. go join 'em in swampy if u have the guts. TERRORIST

Original and accusational without merit. Now YOU fit the definition of Troll. But even a troll is entitled to an opinion. Have a great night... lol

The name change from Siam, to Thailand (Muang Thai) was designed to more inclusive, not less. Siam refers specifically to the Ayutthaya central Thailand civilization and peoples that have dominated the region. The change of the name to Thailand was during the irredentist period during the 1930s, when the government wished to reunite all the Tai language speaking peoples in to a single country again. The change was to include everyone in the region that speaks a Tai language, rather than using a name that applied to a minority of people in the central Thailand area.

History, history...get the facts right.

Siam changed the name to Thailand - land of the Thais (Tais) in 1939 so as to have a 'Greater Thailand" for all Thais/Tais. "Greater Thailand" - does it ring a bell? refer Europe in 1939 - substitute Thailand with an other country's name..

"Greater Thailand" would include Shan State (Burma) and parts of Laos, Yunnan, and perhaps Northern Vietnam with ethnic Tais.

Here's some good quotes from Sunai of Human Rights Watch in Bangkok

"The PAD has become an armed group," Sunai said. While the group's guards are armed, most PAD members occupying the airports are not. They are a mix of middle-aged women and men, and some parents with children.

Sunai strongly criticized PAD leaders for not demanding that parents with children leave the airports, as a police move against the protesters was being prepared. "They are getting like Jim Jones," Sunai said, referring to the American religious cult leader who led more than 900 of his followers in a mass suicide in Guyana in 1978.

They of course will not even let them go. This doesn't mean the law enforcement should make this hinder their much awaited initiative. These people came at their will at first anyway. Whatever repercussions theyre to suffer is a result of their own stupidity. The sane majority of the country cannot and doesn't need to afford the loss any more.

About parents who dragged their kids, these people shouldn't be parents in the first place! my thoughts are with the kids/infants.

just shown on BBC and reported that <MONDAY is the earliest the airport will open BUT this is wishful thinking.

No airline will fly in or out till the airport is cleaned and FULLY searched. So your looking at 2 full days before operation. Singapore and United have on their sites that no fllights before the 7th.

To be truthful I dont know how anyone can give a date at all until PAD is gone.

My scenerio;

The pollice will eventually get them out, (Somchai will not quit). The airport will be trashed and whomever Taksin gets to be the next pm PM will spend another $50,000,000 to "repair" the airport so they can all make twice as much as they made before in Profits and prehaps get it right this time.

Who suffers...... that never changes.... the People

Well the pictures I have seen in the dozens don't show ANY damage to the airport at all.

Only to the government ego. As to their surroundings they seem pretty well behaved.

No trash thrown around, nothing visably broken.

$50 mil for what graft? Oh yeah what else.

I don't think that one can (or should) use the word "terrorist" for Sondhi -- I think that his activities are certainly *criminal* and (questionably) "treasonable" ... but they are *not* terror-related.

He (and all his followers by sticking by him) is a terrorist by all means. Do you mean to say they haven't inflicted terror on anyone? I don't even want to elaborate.

Looks like the airport won't get freed up until 2 December.

On that day the courts have to decide whether or not to order the PPP to dissolve.

Which means that on that day the PAD will have reached their goal and can leave the airport.

I guess neither the police nor the army is going to risk some serious bloodshed with hope for a more peaceful solution just 3 days away.

Lost all hope of the governement freeing up the airport , it will only be free when the PAD decide

This round goes to the PAD

my feeling is that next year Thakisin is going to try all out to reclaim government in Thailand , thats when things will

really get messy , for now thougth the PAD have won,

Thailand's main airport is closed 'indefinitely'. Where's the army?

The closing of the airport is a total affront to Thai people. How come the PPP is not confronting PAD protesters out at the airport?

Where are the police?

PAD - BIG - BIG - WINNNERS THIS WEEK - ME THINKS -

Edited by bulmercke

Nothing's goin' to happen tonight - nor tomorrow evening -

The authorities will go in - in the early hours of Monday morning -

Thats great news But who are the Authorities ? The ones with the Pink Hats ?

Now they Look impresive. saw them on TV tonight.

He (and all his followers by sticking by him) is a terrorist by all means. Do you mean to say they haven't inflicted terror on anyone? I don't even want to elaborate.

You obviously have no idea what terrorism is... I have to think there is some shred of intelligence in you where you can research terror attacks in history.

What I don't get is what do the PAD hope to accomplish besides making Thailand look like a banana republic.

Money/Control/Power (say so) behind the scenes; not unlike any other entity of this nature in an outdated monetary system.

IMHO a military dictatorship. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Exactly. You must have been born in NY. My father taught me the same line. Frankly, I didn't grasp it until many years later.

Actually originates about 800 years before good ole NY was an itch in the Dutch's pants - wiki :o

On that day the courts have to decide whether or not to order the PPP to dissolve.

Which means that on that day the PAD will have reached their goal and can leave the airport.

I guess neither the police nor the army is going to risk some serious bloodshed with hope for a more peaceful solution just 3 days away.

Them back to Square one , new election PAD will not contest , if democrats win ,all good , if another party ex TRT or PPP win ,( which is a very good chance ) what them?

PAD back in business , going to be a hard 2009 for thailand

Seemingly everybody assumes that the PPP will just follow some court order; but was there not a court order for the PAD to remove themselves days ago? The justice system has been so much perverted and the sense of morality is so run-down in this country now that I would not take it for granted that Dec 2 will not just pass as well without a solution.

If Somchai would not think he has a way past Dec 2, he would have stepped down a good while ago.

You obviously have no idea what terrorism is... I have to think there is some shred of intelligence in you where you can research terror attacks in history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism Apparently you have no idea.

I was just wondering...

when this thing is over, is Sondhi etc. going to be held accountable for the damage they inflicted?

Or is the thai constitution / criminal law so screwed up that they're ganna walk?

btw, I wouldn't mind releasing the air outa some cop car/truck tyres too, if its one of my constitutional rights...sounds fun.