Suvarnabhumi PAD Protest Continues

Jai Dee

The name change from Siam, to Thailand (Muang Thai) was designed to more inclusive, not less. Siam refers specifically to the Ayutthaya central Thailand civilization and peoples that have dominated the region. The change of the name to Thailand was during the irredentist period during the 1930s, when the government wished to reunite all the Tai language speaking peoples in to a single country again. The change was to include everyone in the region that speaks a Tai language, rather than using a name that applied to a minority of people in the central Thailand area.

History, history...get the facts right.

Siam changed the name to Thailand - land of the Thais (Tais) in 1939 so as to have a 'Greater Thailand" for all Thais/Tais. "Greater Thailand" - does it ring a bell? refer Europe in 1939 - substitute Thailand with an other country's name..

"Greater Thailand" would include Shan State (Burma) and parts of Laos, Yunnan, and perhaps Northern Vietnam with ethnic Tais.

Maybe they should now rename it PADLAND in memory of the land of smiles.

Cheer, Rick

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sondi says PAD will leave after Dec 2 if PPP is disbanded... then why is PAD doing what they are doing now? Why are they causing this chaos?

After the PPP is disbanded, Sondi will find a new reason to protest.

This domestic terrorist belongs in prison. Nothing less.

Behave :o

I don't think that one can (or should) use the word "terrorist" for Sondhi -- I think that his activities are certainly *criminal* and (questionably) "treasonable" ... but they are *not* terror-related.

He (and all his followers by sticking by him) is a terrorist by all means. Do you mean to say they haven't inflicted terror on anyone? I don't even want to elaborate.

You obviously have no idea what terrorism is... I have to think there is some shred of intelligence in you where you can research terror attacks in history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism Apparently you have no idea.

LOL I have seen it... sorry... nothing new to me and nothing to convince me this is terroristic. But keep trying...

BANGKOK, Nov. 29 (UPI) -- Thai police say they will use force to eject thousands of anti-government protesters from Bangkok's two major airports if they don't disperse. A state of emergency at the Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports declared by Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat has raised the stakes in the struggle against the People's Alliance for Democracy protesters, who are seeking the ouster of the Thai government and have effectively choked off the country's lucrative tourist trade with the airport seizures, the Bangkok Post reported Saturday.

"All of those who violate law will be prosecuted both in criminal and civil cases," an officer using a megaphone told protesters at Don Mueang airport late Friday.

Protest leaders, however, have vowed to fight police "to the death" if they attempt to clear the airports, sparking fears a possibly bloody confrontation.

After police said Thursday they would attempt to negotiate with the protesters, Somchai fired the national police chief Gen. Patcharawat Wongsuwanbut, moving him to an inactive post, and replaced him with the police inspector-general, Maj. Gen. Prateep Tanprasert, the Post said.

© 2008 United Press International, Inc.

I hope nobody gets hurt. Thaksin's brother in-law? Give me a freakin break. The PM really needs to just step down, since it really IS a proxy government in power.

it's not about a "proxy" government, why would this party listen to someone who is politically finished?

the phrase "proxy government" is the same phrase "...evidence of WMD in Iraq..."

This is about securing power for the friends of PAD for the rest of eternity, not about 1 man who is living in Exile with his thai assets frozen.

Why else would the PAD reject Gen Anupong's suggestion to disperse once the house is dissolved? they are not "Anti-government protesters", they are "PRO PAD protesters"

Suggest you read through some of the other info on here such as this from yesterday:

Govt to enlist help from Thaksin if coups staged

The government will enlist help from former prime minister Thasksin Shinawatra if a coup is staged against the administration, government Spokesman Natthawut Saikua said Friday.

He said thaksin would make phone calls to direct the resistance against the coup on around-the-clock basis.

"If a coup is staged, thaksin will fight against it along side with Thais. He can make phone calls to us 24 hours a day," Natthawut said.

The nation

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30089700

This prove again that the main reason for all the problems in Thailand is Thaksin; he is the bad genius in the back. Hes an convicted criminal who is pulling the ropes of his puppets. His TRT party was convicted for corruption, his new PPP must stand trial, again for vote buying and corruption.

How its possible that one man can take an whole country hostage, and control a government is beyond my comprehension. How a government can pardon his wife who was convicted for corruption just because she divorced him. How a government can give a suspect who must attend court the permission to leave the country. Why this government don't file an international arrest warrant against an convicted criminal who sture op the situation by given interviews abroad and eventreathens allied states like the UK. And his only goal is to protect or regain his financial assets gained by corruption.

"If a coup is staged, thaksin will fight against it along side with Thais. He can make phone calls to us 24 hours a day," Natthawut said."

this statement prove very clearly that it is Tahksin who is controlling the present government. A government who hide themselves like weasels. A government who's orders are denied by their own police and army. In any democracy such kind of government would step down, and their political career will be over.

It is not the PAD who create the present situation, but its themselves because their lack of determination and political courage. They are all tributary to an convicted criminal who did make their career. And all of the country knows it. The only decent thing they can do is step down and join Thaksin in exile, or disappear in the Northern mist.

And why the PAD should not protest. There is just an new constitution( I wonder how many people read it) who already has a great democratic deficit, and now they like to change it again with the only purpose to take thaksin back to power.

Am I defender of PAD? Not at all, because I have my doubts about them also. But I do understand there motives to demonstrate. And NO they are no terrorist and there way of conduct is not so uncommon in democracies. They only doing this because a corrupt government of weasels who are powerless because lack of support of the population allow them to do so.

If the government took actions in the first 48 hours of the demonstrations by using waterspraying armoured truck it will never go this far. And now its too late to change the situation, they just prove their incompetence over and over again. So I don't blame the PAD but this corrupt puppet government of Thaksin who let everything out of control. And it can only be stopped by bloodshed (no one with some common sense will aprove this) or resign. The only sensible way is to form a temporary governemt of National unity who must organize new corruotion free election. But TIT and its very unlikely this will happend.

So the only thing we can do is sitting in front our PC or laptop and try to follow the events, and give useless comments in TV.

My wife who is a senior citizen like me, said she do miss a man like Srit Tanarut, who's ideas where folowed and implemented by Singapore, and we all know that it is now one of the most properous country in the world.

Tourists are canceling their Christmas holidays. Millions of jobs could be lost.

It already affects the tourist industry in the south of Thailand. Germany started evacuating their citizens from Phuket today. Sounds all very dramatic. Koh Tao is deserted and cancellations won't stop coming. Big losses not only to the diving industry that brings most of the money to the island but to all other businesses on Koh Tao as well. And it won't be over soon.

Somchai fired the national police chief Gen. Patcharawat Wongsuwanbut, moving him to an inactive post, and replaced him with the police inspector-general, Maj. Gen. Prateep Tanprasert...

As far as I can tell, National Police Chief is an inactive post. :o

Sondi says PAD will leave after Dec 2 if PPP is disbanded... then why is PAD doing what they are doing now? Why are they causing this chaos?

I don't think that one can (or should) use the word "terrorist" for Sondhi -- I think that his activities are certainly *criminal* and (questionably) "treasonable" ... but they are *not* terror-related.

He (and all his followers by sticking by him) is a terrorist by all means. Do you mean to say they haven't inflicted terror on anyone? I don't even want to elaborate.

You obviously have no idea what terrorism is... I have to think there is some shred of intelligence in you where you can research terror attacks in history.

LOL I have seen it... sorry... nothing new to me and nothing to convince me this is terroristic. But keep trying...

It would not be anything new to someone that would support terrorism. I will never be able to convince Al Qaida that 911 is justifiyed. And I will never convince you that seiging the airport is justifiyed. Radicals have their aggenda and the civilized world has to deal with them with force.

For those who wants to know what's happening, this blog is doing a "Saturday Live Blogging" with updates from various news sources including the Matichon, a Thai language newspaper. http://bangkokpundit.blogspot.com/

BangkokPundit.Blogsot.com

Thank you :o

For those who are interested, the interview of Thaksin is the last video at this post:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Chaos-Bangkok-t225194.html

wxp: you have no idea, I've lived with terror(ism) all my childhood. sitting behind your monitor, punching at your keyboard, the closest you could get to is some videogame i suppose? I bet you rarely even heard the word before 9/11 eh?

I don't have to research by googling when I have experienced it first hand.

Joe: I am not sure if you refer to me or not, but your wiki link goes:

Terrorism is the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion.[1] There is no internationally agreed definition of terrorism.[2][3] Most common definitions of terrorism include only those acts which are intended to create fear (terror), are perpetrated for an ideological goal (as opposed to a lone attack), and deliberately target or disregard the safety of non-combatants.

Obviously, it is difficult to define it as it comes in different forms. Sondhi has created fear (terror) in more people than you imagine...nobody who followed the events would argue with that. The "coercion" part is satisfied by definition.

With all the threads on TV re all the PAD's shenanigans the past few months it's become quite clear that the vast majority of posters here, despite priding themselves on their percieved in depth knowledge of Thailand, have seemingly no clue of what is playing out here, and why. I for one am very surprised, I would've expected that many would have learned to adjust the angle of view when looking at events here. The western angle simply produces reflections from the surface.

Maybe the Thai are right, farang don't understand Thai politics or culture at all, even after they've spent decades here.

I've noticed a precious few posters who seem to have a grasp on the underlying issues, most are scratching around on the surface, fooled and confused by the smoke and mirrors.

The threads remind me of people running around in a maze, babbling incoherently. :D

How to win friends and influence people :o

Edited by OlRedEyes

Lost all hope of the governement freeing up the airport , it will only be free when the PAD decide

This round goes to the PAD

my feeling is that next year Thakisin is going to try all out to reclaim government in Thailand , thats when things will

really get messy , for now thougth the PAD have won,

Thailand's main airport is closed 'indefinitely'. Where's the army?

The closing of the airport is a total affront to Thai people. How come the PPP is not confronting PAD protesters out at the airport?

Where are the police?

PAD - BIG - BIG - WINNNERS THIS WEEK - ME THINKS -

PAD will win in the long run and Thaksin will lose. Money behind them and the military supports them. Hard combo to beat methinks.

With all the threads on TV re all the PAD's shenanigans the past few months it's become quite clear that the vast majority of posters here, despite priding themselves on their percieved in depth knowledge of Thailand, have seemingly no clue of what is playing out here, and why. I for one am very surprised, I would've expected that many would have learned to adjust the angle of view when looking at events here. The western angle simply produces reflections from the surface.

Care to enlighten us with your version of the events as they've played out?

It would not be anything new to someone that would support terrorism. I will never be able to convince Al Qaida that 911 is justifiyed. And I will never convince you that seiging the airport is justifiyed. Radicals have their aggenda and the civilized world has to deal with them with force.

Pretty easy for you to make an accusation like that hiding behind the anonymity of the Internet. Sadly I think you may be that shallow to actually believe what you just spewed... You sound more like a radical extremist considering it is your view or no view. I am not a radical; I am not a terrorist and certainly do not support. I am actually a US Citizen and would bleed on my flag to keep it red. Would you?

Siam changed the name to Thailand - land of the Thais (Tais) in 1939 so as to have a 'Greater Thailand" for all Thais/Tais. "Greater Thailand" - does it ring a bell? refer Europe in 1939 - substitute Thailand with an other country's name..

"Greater Thailand" would include Shan State (Burma) and parts of Laos, Yunnan, and perhaps Northern Vietnam with ethnic Tais.

I guess you have some problems understanding, but that was what I said. Muang Thai was considered more inclusive to people in Shan State and the various other Tai language speakers in the region, than Siam was, which is why they changed it. Look up the word 'irredentism' that I used in my post, I don't think you understand what it means.

wxp: you have no idea, I've lived with terror(ism) all my childhood. sitting behind your monitor, punching at your keyboard, the closest you could get to is some videogame i suppose? I bet you rarely even heard the word before 9/11 eh?

I don't have to research by googling when I have experienced it first hand.

Joe: I am not sure if you refer to me or not, but your wiki link goes:

Terrorism is the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion.[1] There is no internationally agreed definition of terrorism.[2][3] Most common definitions of terrorism include only those acts which are intended to create fear (terror), are perpetrated for an ideological goal (as opposed to a lone attack), and deliberately target or disregard the safety of non-combatants.

Obviously, it is difficult to define it as it comes in different forms. Sondhi has created fear (terror) in more people than you imagine...nobody who followed the events would argue with that. The "coercion" part is satisfied by definition.

Pretty shallow and stupid for you to presume to know what my experience is.

Don't worry PPP/TRT Fanboy Joe is on your side. It was directed at me... and rolled right off thank you.

taxsin,split the country and he and his fellows are convicted criminals. now its like centralthailand against issani and taxsini country.

the situation is critical, their maust be a national roundtable of all. and all nust give up on their way of doing ploitics . the problem in thaialnd is not corruption ) cashmoney) the main problem is abusing power, by advantage taking,what means somebody sit in power and give advantages to somebody in form of new laws what profit some,or whatver as well their is no SUBSTAINABILITY

i am not happy with the situation,but i am happy taxsin is out, and PAD still has my favour, bcs i am a foreigner and the situation under taxsin gotten worse for us, and under a democratic goverment it could go only better in the longrun. we need a person like chaun likpai before.

Care to enlighten us with your version of the events as they've played out?

No. Some things are best left unsaid.

I drop into these threads to check on news. Mostly I keep quiet, but sometimes the itch to say something gets too much :o Must be my old age or something.

Edited by OlRedEyes

did anybody else see the bbc report about the reporter inside swampy terminal ,

he and his film crew was totaly alone they walked through the empty passport control into the departuer lounge ,

the whole place was void of any people , all the shops were left open,

the spooky thing was AOT had left the music playing .

only in Thailand

ps I was at future Rangsit today for 6 hours , and i could count on one hand how many farangs i saw there ,

Edited by colino

Joe --- are you seriously quoting Wiki? It isn't terrorism. It is certainly civil disobedience! I am sure that the PAD has struck fear in the hearts of the PPP (soon to be dissolved) and into TRT and Thaksin (dissolved party and ex-PM convicted for abuse of power) but that doesn't make them terrorists. THEY (the PAD) haven't lobbed grenades and hurt innocents, that would be those opposed to them.

Maybe the Thai are right, farang don't understand Thai politics or culture at all, even after they've spent decades here.

I've noticed a precious few posters who seem to have a grasp on the underlying issues, most are scratching around on the surface, fooled and confused by the smoke and mirrors.

The threads remind me of people running around in a maze, babbling incoherently. :D

How to win friends and influence people :o

im with you redeyes! In a former post like this i was vertually called a terrorist myself for citing the same views as you posted.Its true that no foreighner has the right to take the moral highground in someone elses country about issues they know nothing about.These "yellowshirts" whom are being portrayed as terrorists are in fact ordinary bread and butter citizens taking part in a protest,much like other countries would hold a demonstration on wars,industrial relations,gay rights or logging..the only difference is that these people are a bit sick and tired of corruption on such a massive scale as we have never seen.

Three lanes of traffic were clogged today and it took 2 hours to get to a supermarket normally 20 minutes away.These people were going to "join the cause".Are they all terrorists?

I say at least the've got the balls to stand up and take on a system that makes a mockery of democracy.

taxsin,split the country and he and his fellows are convicted criminals. now its like centralthailand against issani and taxsini country.

the situation is critical, their maust be a national roundtable of all. and all nust give up on their way of doing ploitics . the problem in thaialnd is not corruption ) cashmoney) the main problem is abusing power, by advantage taking,what means somebody sit in power and give advantages to somebody in form of new laws what profit some,or whatver as well their is no SUBSTAINABILITY

i am not happy with the situation,but i am happy taxsin is out, and PAD still has my favour, bcs i am a foreigner and the situation under taxsin gotten worse for us, and under a democratic goverment it could go only better in the longrun. we need a person like chaun likpai before.

sorry the correct word in english is

Acceptance of benefit by a public official and advantage grant

this is the main problem of TRT and PPP and the taxsineconomics

im with you redeyes! In a former post like this i was vertually called a terrorist myself for citing the same views as you posted.Its true that no foreighner has the right to take the moral highground in someone elses country about issues they know nothing about.These "yellowshirts" whom are being portrayed as terrorists are in fact ordinary bread and butter citizens taking part in a protest,much like other countries would hold a demonstration on wars,industrial relations,gay rights or logging..the only difference is that these people are a bit sick and tired of corruption on such a massive scale as we have never seen.

Three lanes of traffic were clogged today and it took 2 hours to get to a supermarket normally 20 minutes away.These people were going to "join the cause".Are they all terrorists?

I say at least the've got the balls to stand up and take on a system that makes a mockery of democracy.

That may be your opinion, it's not mine.....

I guess you have some problems understanding, but that was what I said. Muang Thai was considered more inclusive to people in Shan State and the various other Tai language speakers in the region, than Siam was, which is why they changed it. Look up the word 'irredentism' that I used in my post, I don't think you understand what it means.

If "more inclusive" is the same as "take over' then we agree. 1939 was the time of expansion and war.

Tourists are canceling their Christmas holidays. Millions of jobs could be lost.

It already affects the tourist industry in the south of Thailand. Germany started evacuating their citizens from Phuket today. Sounds all very dramatic. Koh Tao is deserted and cancellations won't stop coming. Big losses not only to the diving industry that brings most of the money to the island but to all other businesses on Koh Tao as well. And it won't be over soon.

I would be very interested to hear a source for that, as I am German and in Phuket.

However, contrary to your statement, there is neither panic here nor is anybody evacuated, on the contrary. It might however be true that people who would have flown out via Bangkok can now use alternative planes going from Phuket International Airport.

Somchai fired the national police chief Gen. Patcharawat Wongsuwanbut, moving him to an inactive post, and replaced him with the police inspector-general, Maj. Gen. Prateep Tanprasert...

As far as I can tell, National Police Chief is an inactive post. :angry:

this is terrorism:

ASTV Anchor Rutthawut Mitrmak takes cover as he hears gunshots and explosions outside the ASTV studios.

The ASTV studios were attacked at around 2 A.M. last night. M-79 bombs, which were followed by gunfire, were launched at ASTV headquarters while ASTV News1 was broadcasting live from its studio.

Anchor Nutthawut Mitrmak took cover under the desk as assailants opened fire into the studio and several other sections of the building. He was slightly injured by broken glass.

M-79 bombs were found to have caused extensive damage to the first and second floors of the building.

Assailants also gunned down windows and balconies on the third and fourth floors, where TOC's studios and editorial staff are housed. Minor damage was found in TOC's studio as well.

[video on thailandoutlook.tv]

Declaration of the European Unionon the situation in Thailand(Bangkok, 29 November 2008)

The European Union Ambassadors in Bangkok reiterate their serious concerns about the siege of the Bangkok airports, resulting in the disruption of international air traffic and already over 100 000 passengers being stranded. While respecting the right of protesting and without interfering in any way with the internal political debate in Thailand, the EU considers that these actions are totally inappropriate. They are seriously damaging the international image of Thailand.

We urge the protesters to evacuate the airports peacefully without delay in order to avoid a major consular crisis and its economic consequences for Thailand.

We call all parties in Thailand to takes steps to resolve the crisis and restore public order, respecting the rule of law and country’s democratic institutions.

finish quote.

Never mind, its only the EU saying this so they can ignore it, not that they will ever read it in PADland. Not like Sondhi has spoken or anything is it!