Suvarnabhumi PAD Protest Continues

Jai Dee

It seems to be that holding guns in public is now acceptable in Thailand? Even shooting someone first and then ask questions later? Isn't there a law that police should be following to arrest these guys?

Nothing wrong with a little show of arms. Whenever I get slow service at a restaurant I usually stand up and fire a few rounds into the kitchen (without killing anyone of course, I reserve that for big misunderstandings such as bad tasting dishes). Speeds up the service tremendously every time. :o

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things are moving along at a frightfully slow pace. Who would have thought that the airport/s would still be closed after a full week?

I'm starting to question whether or not I'll be able to take a December 19 flight out.

Yep..same here. I am due to fly out same day with Eva Air. I heard a rumour that the airport will not be open by Christmas. Just a rumour of course and without any substance, but unnerving none-the-less.

It seems to be that holding guns in public is now acceptable in Thailand? Even shooting someone first and then ask questions later? Isn't there a law that police should be following to arrest these guys?

Holding guns and on a shooting spree laready happened during Thaksin's time for the reason of 'enforcing laws' on drugs dealing. :o

It did not happen overnight now.

good to see reports on the Nation that the thai stock market has opened up today. it closed lower in Australia today, and we have fully functioning transportation system.

Amazing Thailand

Even the Thai Bath is up against the EURO (70 Satang) since closing time friday

Amazing country indeed

Perhaps the moving out of GH is to do with Chamlongs talks with the police chief. He agrees to move them out at night, police agree not to step in and take over while they are gone? (even though it would be the PERFECT opportunity to take back this government building to the government)

Does it also follow that if they arrive at the airport,they also have an agreement with the police,which would allow them to enter?

Don't be so naive. PAD control who gets in and out. Not the police.

If the protest continue, I guess that they will abandon Don Muang as well, as their supporter number are falling. Of cause Chamlong will say something like: "We take pity of the Thai people, hence we will allow one airport to be open", jus to save face.

However, Swampy is a prize. Hold on to it at all cost.

Interior Minister: PAD-Police Negotiation Paves Way for Reconciliation

UPDATE : 1 December 2008

The Interior minister is hopeful that the negotiation between the police and the People’s Alliance for Democracy on Sunday is signaling that the two sides can work together to pave the way for the end of the current political crisis.

Interior Minister Kowit Watana said today that the Sunday meeting between PAD leader Chamlong Srimuang and Metropolitan Police Chief, Police Major General Suchart Muankaew, is a good omen for the ongoing political crisis, which intensified after the closure of Suvarnahumi International last Tuesday.

He also brushed aside worries that the presence of a large number of Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship members in Bangkok will worsen the already-tense standoff.

Kowit refused to comment on the Constitution Court’s much-anticipated disbandment ruling for People Power, Chart Thai and Matchima Thipataya parties on Tuesday, saying the matter is the responsibility of Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat, who is also the PPP leader.

When reporters asked if the police would not launch any move to disperse the protesters, the Interior minister simply declined to answer the question and

As far as your assumption that protester numbers are falling....they fluctuate regularly, and we have what is called "the weekend factor"

After all these weeks of occupying the Government House, the "enemy" has found out how to really hurt the protesters...

The firing of a M79 grenade last night and wounding over 50 sitting/sleeping people (mostly women) was not a high mark in courage, but it showed that the PAD could not defend against it either. So it turns into a win/win. Protect the people and cooperate with the police to wind down the protest...

Rainman.

You heard about the 60 year old man who was dragged from his car and brutally beaten up and shot in the head in Chiang Mai then? Eye witnesses say they cannot recognise anyone but they were all dressed in RED, so that clears everyone dressed in yellow at the airports,I think your terrorist theory is seriously flawed.

phupaman

good to see reports on the Nation that the thai stock market has opened up today. it closed lower in Australia today, and we have fully functioning transportation system.

Amazing Thailand

Amazing country indeed

Expectable since euro/$ rate went down on friday . If you keep a very close eye on euro/$ then you can see when you can change money ( if there are major changes that is ) . THB and $ are more or less coupled , so if the $ get's stronger , so does THB .

Restarting Bangkok airport to take at least a week

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Restarting Bangkok's $4 billion Suvarnabhumi airport will take at least a week from the end of the current sit-in by protesters because of security and IT system checks, its general manager said on Monday.

Anti-government protesters have ignored a police order to end their blockade of Bangkok's main airport, which entered its seventh day Monday.

"Normally, checking the IT systems takes one week. We have to check, recheck, check, recheck," Serirat Prasutanond told Reuters, adding that the delay would probably be even longer as some of complex's massive computers might need repair.

"I think some systems are damaged," he said, but declined to give further details.

The closure of the 125,000 passenger-a-day airport by the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) movement has stranded thousands of foreigners and is threatening Thailand's tourism- and export-driven economy with billions of dollars of damage.

With the army refusing to get involved and police reluctant to use force against the 3,000 protesters, many of whom are women and who include children and babies, attention is on a court decision this week that is likely to dissolve the ruling party.

Even if the dissolution, expected on Tuesday or Wednesday, is enough to convince the PAD to pack its bags, Serirat's timeline suggests the airport will be closed until at least December 11, eating into the key Christmas tourist season.

It is also likely to be factor in Thailand's decision whether or not to postpone an Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN) summit scheduled for December 13-17, even though the venue has already been shifted to the northern city of Chiang Mai.

Source: http://uk.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUKTRE4B00MG20081201

Amazing Thailand

Amazing country indeed

Expectable since euro/$ rate went down on friday . If you keep a very close eye on euro/$ then you can see when you can change money ( if there are major changes that is ) . THB and $ are more or less coupled , so if the $ get's stronger , so does THB .

And what the f*** has any of this got to do with what is happening at the airports. Please update with relevent information on the current status at Suvarnabhumi not drivel like this :o

Amazing Thailand

Amazing country indeed

Just noticed that aswell, you just can't predict anything here :o

www.bangkokpost.com 14:02:

PM ready to take King's advice

BangkokPost.com) – Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat on Monday said he is ready to take His Majesty the King’s advice on ways to end the national crisis.

Earlier, independent writer Sulak Siwarak suggested Mr Somchai ask for solutions to national problems from His Majesty the King.

The prime minister briefly said it is the duty of relevant officials to take legal actions against the protesters who have taken over the country’s two main airports in Bangkok.

The premier arrived in Chiang Mai province on Monday morning after he paid his respects at Phra That Phanom temple in Nakhon Phanom after spending the weekend in Udon Thani.

Well, not my favorite solution, but it would be a solution. And a solution is urgently required...

Edited by GizmoBKK

Amazing Thailand

Amazing country indeed

Just noticed that aswell, you just can't predict anything here :o

BangkokPost.com) – Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat on Monday said he is ready to take His Majesty the King’s advice on ways to end the national crisis.

Earlier, independent writer Sulak Siwarak suggested Mr Somchai ask for solutions to national problems from His Majesty the King.

The prime minister briefly said it is the duty of relevant officials to take legal actions against the protesters who have taken over the country’s two main airports in Bangkok.

The premier arrived in Chiang Mai province on Monday morning after he paid his respects at Phra That Phanom temple in Nakhon Phanom after spending the weekend in Udon Thani

Just a small misunderstanding. No one gets hurt. Bullet holes on the van can be patched. If the PAD guards intend to kill the driver, he would not live to tell the tale. Sleep over it.

I think that clears it up if they are just "peaceful protesters sitting around" as some have claimed yesterday.

These are armed terrorists who are holding 2 airports hostage.

Nice picture of the peaceful acts of the red shirts against the pad. Oh yea, forgot you think these MONKEYS get what they deserve since there just terrorist.

551000014802401.JPEG

551000011178317.JPEG

551000011195901.JPEG

Photos of tear gas cannisters and grenade fragments which werent used during the oct 7th debacle.

bom.jpg

Picture of police firing the tear gas, and throwing grenades which never happened.

551000012852903.JPEG

boms5.jpg

551000012966101.JPEG

Try hard to open your eyes and see both sides arent innocent in this. I know it might be hard for someone that is an open racist and advocates violence used against those that dont agree. I hope the lose of life on both sides is minimal. Just cause someone doesnt agree with me, i dont wish for them to be murdered or executed..................................

Interesting article on the pro government gang of changmai.

http://thaiinsider.info/space/content/view/12114/12/

Sorry for posting in wrong section. On break and wasnt paying attention. Mod feel free to delete or move.

Edited by Onyxia

Amazing Thailand

Amazing country indeed

And what the f*** has any of this got to do with what is happening at the airports. Please update with relevent information on the current status at Suvarnabhumi not drivel like this :o

Well , easy ... for the moment PAD is reinforcing it's allready very strong grip on the airport so nothing is happening . It is rocksteady blocked and will remain that way since police and army aren't doing anything ( and show no sign of willing to move ) . The only thing which might happen is that at 1 point Somchai will resign since it is very clear that he doesn't have any forcefull backup behind him and he is like a head without arm and legs .

The euro/$/THB and market discussion is not completely off-topic since everybody knows this has impact on the economy of Thailand . If you are only willing to talk about situation at the airport , well i can very well understand .. i want to know to but if you followed the news ... there is nothing happening all week allready and there is no sign of anything moving in a direction . The release of the aircrafts empty is no such big thing because PAD allready stated that the blockade of the airport has nothing to do with holding people . It is holding the building and by doing so , AOT and IATA cannot control safety measures recuired to operate the airport .

Just a small misunderstanding. No one gets hurt. Bullet holes on the van can be patched. If the PAD guards intend to kill the driver, he would not live to tell the tale. Sleep over it.

I think that clears it up if they are just "peaceful protesters sitting around" as some have claimed yesterday.

Nice picture of the peaceful acts of the red shirts against the pad. Oh yea, forgot you think these MONKEYS get what they deserve since there just terrorist.

551000014802401.JPEG

Are you sure thats a PAD member? Looks like a red shirt to me

This will make things worse (14:04):

Govt House protesters move to Don Mueang, Suvarnabhumi

(BangkokPost.com) – One of the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) leaders, Maj-Gen Chamlong Srimuang, on Monday told protesters at Government House to move to Don Mueang and Suvarnabhumi airports.

According to Maj-Gen Chamlong, anti-government demonstrators will no longer be allowed to spend a night at Government House for their own safety, following repeated grenade and gun attacks at the compound previously.

He said the daily demonstration at Government House will now be held until evening, and only the PAD guards will station at the site during the night.

Edited by GizmoBKK

551000014802401.JPEG

Are you sure thats a PAD member? Looks like a red shirt to me

Does it matter?... They all should be expecting that.. It's easy to say - we are ready to die. First, they shoud ask themselves - to die for what? For the money in somebody's pocket? Please name even one country around the world where the government is not corrupted!

Does it matter?... They all should be expecting that.. It's easy to say - we are ready to die. First, they shoud ask themselves - to die for what? For the money in somebody's pocket? Please name even one country around the world where the government is not corrupted!

I can't, I agree 100% they are all corrupted, some worse than others but they are all corrupted and plagued with scandals.

PAD ends Government House occupation

The People's Alliance For Democracy Monday ended its occupation of the Government House.

Suchart Srisai, an official of the Dharma Army of the Santi Asoke Buddhist sect, announced on the stage inside Government House at 2 pm that the PAD would end it occupation of the complex.

He urged protesters to post for photos as souvenirs and pack their belongings and move to join their peers either at the Suvarnabhumi International Airport or the Don Mueng Airport.

The Nation

Edited by MKAsok

The People's Alliance For Democracy Monday ended its occupation of the Government House.

Suchart Srisai, an official of the Dharma Army of the Santi Asoke Buddhist sect, announced on the stage inside Government House at 2 pm that the PAD would end it occupation of the complex.

He urged protesters to post for photos as souvenirs and pack their belongings and move to join their peers either at the Suvarnabhumi International Airport or the Don Mueng Airport.

The Nation

It's too bad they did not end the occupation of the airports and move those people to the government house.... With the Thai image being damaged internationally by the airport occupation, I wonder if PAD is really fighting for the countries future as they claim.... They seem to be causing more damage than "fixing"..... Their approach to me is like cutting off a leg because of a splinter rather than using tweezers to remove said splinter....

From AFP:

Thai protesters leave PM's office after attacks

BANGKOK (AFP) — Thai protesters Monday began leaving the prime minister's offices after a three-month sit-in, moving instead to reinforce a paralysing anti-government blockade of Bangkok's two airports.Leaders of an alliance trying to force premier Somchai Wongsawat to resign said they were worried by recent grenade attacks which have killed two protesters and wounded dozens more at Government House in the capital.

In another apparent climbdown, the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) allowed 37 empty aircraft to fly out of Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi international airport in the past two days.

"It's too risky to stay at Government House because of repeated attacks against us," PAD spokeswoman Anchalee Paireerak said. "All of us have started to move now. We expect to complete the movement this evening."

An AFP reporter saw dozens of supporters carrying plastic bags and sleeping mats leaving the compound, which protesters had heavily fortified with razor wire and tyres.

The PAD seized the cabinet offices in late August, as part of a campaign they launched in May to topple an elected government they accuse of running the country on behalf of former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, ousted in a 2006 coup.

They took that campaign to unexpected heights last week, storming the main international airport on Tuesday and then occupying the older Don Mueang domestic airport the next day.

The abandonment of the premier's offices will likely ease the risk of clashes with a rival pro-government group who camped out in Bangkok for a second day a few kilometres (miles) from Government House.

About 15,000 red-shirted pro-government activists had converged on city hall in downtown Bangkok on Sunday night, and around 1,500 of them remained there on Monday morning, police said.

"We will rally again this afternoon at the same place," Chinawat Haboonpard, a leader of the pro-government group, told AFP.

Chinawat said the group had not yet decided whether to launch a blockade of the Constitutional Court, which is due Tuesday to wrap up a case that could see the ruling party disbanded for vote fraud and Somchai banned from politics.

Over the last three months the PAD turned the compound around the Venetian-style Government House into a sprawling tented city, complete with portable toilets, food stalls, stages and massive television screens.

But unknown groups have launched grenade attacks at the site. On Sunday, 49 protesters were injured in a blast.

Government spokesman Nattawut Saikuar said Prime Minister Somchai had been notified about the end of the siege.

"I expected the protesters to gradually abandon the site because it's clear they will not achieve victory. After they occupied the airports, the rest of society is against them," he told AFP.

Continued here

Edited by MKAsok

The Nation

If this is accurate, and reports do conflict over whether it is a complete withdrawl or just for safety at night when guarsds will remain, then something has changed. What:

1. PAD to vacate so a new PAD approved government can come in

2. A deal has been worked out. This could fit with Somchai's statement that he will accept Royal Advice

3. PAD instructed to leave by powerful backers

4. Some combination of the above

5. To prepare for a massive grenade assault after the dissolution of PPP tomorrow if the diso happens. The airports are much harder to target.

6. .............

If of course the report is accurate which remains to be confrimed.

Edited by hammered

There's no point in holding GH anymore - they've got a real big fish, the airport.

There's also a big security issue with almost daily grenade attacks, it's safer to be at SW or DM.

The man in the photo was injured in a bomb/grenade blast - that's what real terrorists do - kill and maim people in their sleep to force them to succumb to fear.

Rainman.

You heard about the 60 year old man who was dragged from his car and brutally beaten up and shot in the head in Chiang Mai then? Eye witnesses say they cannot recognise anyone but they were all dressed in RED, so that clears everyone dressed in yellow at the airports,I think your terrorist theory is seriously flawed.

phupaman

Yesterday I saw someone on the news buying drugs. Does that make it OK for me to buy drugs? Some weeks ago a finnish kid shot several students at school, does that make it ok for someone else to do the same?

Your logic is seriously flawed, whatever someone dressed in red do, doesent justify any yellow from shooting wildly. The pictures of the gunman and the guy holding the painting behind him from day 1 is so alien it could be taken straight from any madman anarchy in the world. No matter how many people in red fighting someone doesnt make the armed yellow "guards" any less armed. No matter how many shots get fired from unknowns toward ASTV doesnt make shots taken from PAD "guards" any more justified.

Things are moving along at a frightfully slow pace. Who would have thought that the airport/s would still be closed after a full week?

I'm starting to question whether or not I'll be able to take a December 19 flight out.

I've also got a flight out the 19th and becoming genuinely concerned. Up to now my Thai friends have laughed off my concern when pondering the possibility that Swampy wouldn't be up and running by 3 weeks into December. Not so funny now.

There's no point in holding GH anymore - they've got a real big fish, the airport.

There's also a big security issue with almost daily grenade attacks, it's safer to be at SW or DM.

The man in the photo was injured in a bomb/grenade blast - that's what real terrorists do - kill and maim people in their sleep to force them to succumb to fear.

look up terrorism...... THE PAD ACTIONS MAKE THEM TERRORISTS. Are whoever is throwing bombs at the YELLOW TERRORIST's also to be called “terrorists”, I guess so by you, but that just means that one group of terrorists (red shirts) is attacking another group of terrorists (the yellow shirts), I don't sympathize with terrorists being attacked .

I've also got a flight out the 19th and becoming genuinely concerned. Up to now my Thai friends have laughed off my concern when pondering the possibility that Swampy wouldn't be up and running by 3 weeks into December. Not so funny now.

Same here, we are supposed to be flying out on the 15th to London, doesnt look like that will be happenening. Still no word from thai airways on rescheduling or just cancelling.

look up terrorism...... THE PAD ACTIONS MAKE THEM TERRORISTS. Are whoever is throwing bombs at the YELLOW TERRORIST's also to be called “terrorists”, I guess so by you, but that just means that one group of terrorists (red shirts) is attacking another group of terrorists (the yellow shirts), I don't sympathize with terrorists being attacked .

Maybe if you repeat yourself another 30 times and do it in ALL CAPS it will make your assertions true?

Nope .. not even then. They are still just protesters!