University Graduate As A Tutor, How Much Should I Pay?

yongli

Hi,

A fresh university graduate in Thai language will help me with my Thai. She doesn't have teaching experience yet.

I would like to offer her a good hourly pay, but also avoid overpaying.

How much do you think per hour would be fair/the going rate for tutoring?

Thank you very much in advance!

Yongli

yeh 300b per hor

@madjbs and @thithi

Thank you very much for your advice.

In the meantime, I have also found a language school, that charges 10000 Bht for 30 hours (4-6/hrs per week) or 10000 for 40 hours (10 hours per week) for private tuition.

So that would work out at 250 Baht per hour, respectively 333 Baht per hour for a tutor from the school.

Edited by yongli

make some thai friends and learn for free.......

well i did make my friends buy me drinks ... so it was not free lol

Actually, I prefer this to a teaching environment.

This is the whole point for me about learning Thai. Communicating with people and having another option of doing so. I sure hope to make good friends.

At the same time, I want to get the pronounciation right and not pester friends with constant requests to correct any pronounciation mistakes I might make.

A remark on the side: I used to believe, that children (the younger the faster) can learn a language much faster than an adult. A lot of the programs these days seem to try to emulate the way children learn. However, I recently read an article in which the author

claims, that an adult can master a new language faster than a child by directing his efforts:

Learn the pronounciation well.

Compile a list of the most frequently used words - learn them. A few hundred at most.

Start reading and communicating about stuff that really interests you, a topic you always wanted to know more about - Buddhism, drinking, martial art, whatever...

Have a good day, yongli