Marvalous

bartender100

Just changed my hotel to move into one provided by TAT in Pattaya, accommodation and food for free, all well so far,its the least Thailand can do to stranded guest in their country.

Now the hotel want to charge me B900 a DAY to use the internet in my room.

I tried explaining to the manager that its needed urgently for my work and business, and that Thailand has already cost me and thousands others a lot of money, and they should assist as much as they can

Its just like they are trying to make money out of my predicament, the image of Thailand already damaged badly has not gone up in my opinion when you get treated like this, and i will make my feelings well and truly known to the hotel when i get back home .

I am just a hard working guy and it took me a long time to save to come on this trip, and I've already had to draw on emergency money i cannot afford

Just changed my hotel to move into one provided by TAT in Pattaya, accommodation and food for free, all well so far,its the least Thailand can do to stranded guest in their country.

I tried explaining to the manager that its needed urgently for my work and business, and that Thailand has already cost me and thousands others a lot of money, and they should assist as much as they can

Its just like they are trying to make money out of my predicament, the image of Thailand already damaged badly has not gone up in my opinion when you get treated like this, and i will make my feelings well and truly known to the hotel when i get back home .

I am just a hard working guy and it took me a long time to save to come on this trip, and I've already had to draw on emergency money i cannot afford

900 baht a day!!!! dam_n I pay less than that for the entire month.....

Use a cheaper internet cafe in town. There are lots of them. If they have put you in a posh hotel with free food, you can't complain too much (look at the events in Mumbai if you wish to feel grateful). It's not the manager's fault and nor his job to underwite the sins of PAD. Sorry.

Out of curiosity, how much does this particular hotel normally charge for internet service in the room? Some hotels give it free as a perk. It would be really, really bad if internet was normally a free service but out of greed, they decided to charge you...

Use a cheaper internet cafe in town. There are lots of them. If they have put you in a posh hotel with free food, you can't complain too much (look at the events in Mumbai if you wish to feel grateful). It's not the manager's fault and nor his job to underwite the sins of PAD. Sorry.

I do appreciate being given a nice hotel, but program's on my laptop are need for work, i was supposed to be back yesterday. I just think B900 is taking the piss

Its normally B900, B5000!!!! for the week.

Its the Sunbeam

Edited by bartender100

Weather or not there is a 1 baht/min cafe even across the street is incidental. The fact of the matter is they are attempting to gouge him through circumstances that are WAY beyond his control. Perhaps he needs round-the-clock access to internet for some reason (work, family issues) or perhaps he is travelling with small children that can not spend all day in an internet café.

To use a situation like this to extract money from someone (if that is their intent) is ethically wrong...plain and simple.

I do appreciate being given a nice hotel, but program's on my laptop are need for work, i was supposed to be back yesterday. I just think B900 is taking the piss

Its the Sunbeam

Well, if they normally charge 900THB for service you can't fault them too much for wanting to charge you in this case. Personally, if I were in that situation as a hotel manager, I would give free internet to guests who are displaced by the airport fiasco.

BTW - I have history with the Sunbeam. I kid you not, one of their employees saved my life five years ago. Without their assistance, I would have died. When in the hospital, the manager(s) came to visit me. I think that hotel is top-notch.

All of you who are stranded have my sympathies.

Why look a gift horse in the mouth?

It's mighty good of TAT to provide you with a free room and free food.

Next you'll be complaining because they haven't provided free daily Thai massage.

If you really want to leave Thailand it's not all that hard. All land borders are open and some aiports. My landlord just "escaped" Pattaya through Cambodia.

Its the Sunbeam

Well, if they normally charge 900THB for service you can't fault them too much for wanting to charge you in this case. Personally, if I were in that situation as a hotel manager, I would give free internet to guests who are displaced by the airport fiasco.

BTW - I have history with the Sunbeam. I kid you not, one of their employees saved my life five years ago. Without their assistance, I would have died. When in the hospital, the manager(s) came to visit me. I think that hotel is top-notch.

I find it difficult to believe that utter Thai strangers saved your life once as I find they so not stop in the worst of traffic accidents to tend to their own. Not to side-track this thread but pray tell briefly describe the situation in which your life was saved. Thanks!

Its the Sunbeam

I find it difficult to believe that utter Thai strangers saved your life once as I find they so not stop in the worst of traffic accidents to tend to their own. Not to side-track this thread but pray tell briefly describe the situation in which your life was saved. Thanks!

The hotel next to the Sunbeam is the High Five hotel. On X-mas eve day, 2003 I fell from the fire escape (during a fire in the High Five hotel) and landed on the Sunbeam hotel pool deck. In addition to the 18 other broken bones, I had a compound fracture of my tibia and fibia through which I would have lost a lot of blood. The kid behind the Sunbeam's poolside bar saw me fall and fashioned a tournaquet around my leg - preventing blood loss. He then went and got the paramedics/rescue workers.

With the damage to my body (broken bones: Pelvis x 4, right leg x 4, left foot x 9, etc.,etc.) any severe blood loss would have had probably killed me with the shock of the event and all - this, according to my orthopedic surgeon(s) in America who were stunned I lived anyway. They were certain massive amounts of bloodloss would have finished me.

This is all verifiable in Pattaya Mail...Google search it if you don't believe me.

Its the Sunbeam

The hotel next to the Sunbeam is the High Five hotel. On X-mas eve day, 2003 I fell from the fire escape (during a fire in the High Five hotel) and landed on the Sunbeam hotel pool deck. In addition to the 18 other broken bones, I had a compound fracture of my tibia and fibia through which I would have lost a lot of blood. The kid behind the Sunbeam's poolside bar saw me fall and fashioned a tournaquet around my leg - preventing blood loss. He then went and got the paramedics/rescue workers.

With the damage to my body (broken bones: Pelvis x 4, right leg x 4, left foot x 9, etc.,etc.) any severe blood loss would have had probably killed me with the shock of the event and all - this, according to my orthopedic surgeon(s) in America who were stunned I lived anyway. They were certain massive amounts of bloodloss would have finished me.

This is all verifiable in Pattaya Mail...Google search it if you don't believe me.

Thanks for sharing and I am happy to hear you survived. Not that I didn't believe you I wanted to see the details so I did 'Google' it and one article I read stated that you "jumped".... and yet another from the same Pattaya newspaper stated you "fell"..... Anyway, I hope you had a full recovery and I am sure in the future you will be looking for all fire exits upon checking into your room as I tend to do this with unfamiliar hotels I stay at. It is always a wise safety precaution. By the way, after hearing your 'first hand' story and reading two different accounts by the same Pattaya newspaper I really wonder about all those so called 'jumpers' they write about down there in Pattaya.

Its the Sunbeam

Thanks for sharing and I am happy to hear you survived. Not that I didn't believe you I wanted to see the details so I did 'Google' it and one article I read stated that you "jumped".... and yet another from the same Pattaya newspaper stated you "fell"..... Anyway, I hope you had a full recovery and I am sure in the future you will be looking for all fire exits upon checking into your room as I tend to do this with unfamiliar hotels I stay at. It is always a wise safety precaution. By the way, after hearing your 'first hand' story and reading two different accounts by the same Pattaya newspaper I really wonder about all those so called 'jumpers' they write about down there in Pattaya.

Like you say, I have first hand knowledge of this. I went to speak with a few lawyers in Pattaya after the incident and spoke with almost everyone on Soi 8 over the following two years (or so) during my recuperation. Every single Thai that I spoke with in Pattaya, regardless of their background (lawyer, bargirl, store/bar owner) all asked me: "why did you jump?" Well, I fell. I didn't jump. I would assume that the local media said that I jumped because it puts the onus of the situation back on me (it's my fault I'm hurt because I jumped) and saves face for the hotel. It was always funny because the Thai girls would ask me why I jumped. I would respond: "Do you think I'm stupid? If I jump - I die. I have accident not jump". The funny part about that is their confused/bewildered answer to their question.

The interview in the Pattaya Mail took place on 12/26 immediatly after my second 12 hour surgery in two days. I barely remember the interview and it isn't accurate...I wasn't my normal self.

Life is good now. My foot and part of my leg are both paralyzed but I don't have much pain. I still see people in Patt/Jomtien who recognise me and ask me how I"m doing. They acutally can't believe how well I walk...

I have a good job and get to come to Pattaya every four months on holiday. I NEVER stay above the second floor of ANY hotel...

I have heard that immigration are "waiving" overstay fees for the affected passengers. Now there is the question you raise that you are using the Internet for work. Are you being provided with a work permit for this work you are doing whilst stranded here? or are all immigration rules out the window.

Perhaps he needs round-the-clock access to internet

best not to get too dependant on the internet/mobile phones etc. especially in third world/developing countries.

but program's on my laptop are need for work, i was supposed to be back yesterday. I just think B900 is taking the piss

sounds like pampered western whinging .

do a cost benefit analysis and then either pay up or shut up.

but program's on my laptop are need for work, i was supposed to be back yesterday. I just think B900 is taking the piss

sounds like pampered western whinging .

do a cost benefit analysis and then either pay up or shut up.

Wouldnt even need the cost benefit analysis...if its for legitmate work he is suppose to be doing then can claim it a business expense from his company as well as his salary....

So I am going with pampered western whinging on this one... :o:D

900 baht for internet seems a bit extreme!

Seems like they are trying to make money back for the free room and food.

Maybe you could try taking your laptop to an internet shop and asking if you could use your own computer and let them connect it to their network. Ive seen it been done a few times before. (Customer using their own laptop) ... Just a thought.

Agree with Meg_2003, if you go over to Pattaya central road, across from soi buakow is the

"chat internet shop". Nice place and they do have an empty desk w'hookups for people with

laptops. It's unfortunate that but the demonstrators seem to be holding tourists hostage. :o

Problem with that statement...its not a free room and food, although the OP may not be paying for it, somebody will be and I ll bet they are being gouged by the hotel on the room and food rate as well.. :o

Problem with that statement...its not a free room and food, although the OP may not be paying for it, somebody will be and I ll bet they are being gouged by the hotel on the room and food rate as well.. :o

Yep... nothings free in Thailand :D

My guess is that the hotel has had temporary guests foisted on it by the TOT, with a promise of payment (At a much reduced rate) to be made later... much later...

So the hotel manager is trying to make some money in the short term... not very fair... but what is these days?

Its the Sunbeam

Do you not have wifi ? :o

My guess is that the hotel has had temporary guests foisted on it by the TOT, with a promise of payment (At a much reduced rate) to be made later... much later...

So the hotel manager is trying to make some money in the short term... not very fair... but what is these days?

If you all would/could read the 2nd post by the OP (#5) you will see that the 900 baht per day for Internet service is not higher than the normal rate.... It appears to be the normal rate for that hotel..... So, even I agree it's high, the hotel does not appear to be gorging anyone over the current situation in LOS.

To those how think I'm whinging fine your opinion is what you ask for I post on an internet forum, but actually I'm not, I could not be more happy, you cant wipe the smile of my face, I don't care if they not open the airport till after Christmas.

My job is open for now, without pay I might add, and the weather is great.

But I also run a small internet based business which needs a lot of time, and is my only source of income right now.

Thanks to all those that replied and also thought B900 a day was high in these circumstances

I've just had a look at the Sunbeam's website which proudly advertises FREE WiFi 24 hours. Methinks the OP is being shafted!

To the OP, do you have wireless internet on your computer?

If so, If I were in your shoes, Id confront them about the 'FREE WiFi' displayed on their website!!

Edited by Meg_2003

To those how think I'm whinging fine your opinion is what you ask for I post on an internet forum, but actually I'm not, I could not be more happy, you cant wipe the smile of my face, I don't care if they not open the airport till after Christmas.

My job is open for now, without pay I might add, and the weather is great.

But I also run a small internet based business which needs a lot of time, and is my only source of income right now.

Thanks to all those that replied and also thought B900 a day was high in these circumstances

And you have a work permit to carry on this Internet business while you are holed up in Thailand?

I am not getting at you - but here especially on this forum we are constantly bombarded by the politacally correct brigade who would never dream of working in Thailand without a work permit, would never dream of dropping a slip of paper on the sidewalk and God forbid never ever ever dream about participating in any aspect of the prostitution business in Pattaya

Just be warned

You have declared your location

You have declared your status

You have declared you are working

There are some PC tozzers out there who will stiff you - believe me I know

I've just had a look at the Sunbeam's website which proudly advertises FREE WiFi 24 hours. Methinks the OP is being shafted!

To the OP, do you have wireless internet on your computer?

If so, If I were in your shoes, Id confront them about the 'FREE WiFi' displayed on their website!!

Yes I asked them about that as I had looked at the website before i moved here, the manager told me its not included, as only an internet special,Oh well.

And to the guy that mentioned working here, i am not, i came for a two week holiday, but need to closely monitor

internet site i run, in no shape or form could that be considered working.

I've been coming to Thailand for over 20 years and know the rules. Thanks for the warning anyway

The phone idea is good but might be very slow. Thanks anyway

Yep... nothings free in Thailand :o

Really? I thought the room and food was being given to the OP free of charge. It's his choice if he wishes to avail himself of the inroom internet. I don't think anyone is forcing him to.

There's no obligation for TAT to be so generous. Shit happens in Asia quite often and it's one of the risks of visiting 3rd world countries. If anyone has a job which requires guaranteed 24 hour internet connectivity they have no business being in Asia in the first place.

Apart from that, if the hotel is charging their normal rate, no matter how high that is, it has nothing to do with price gouging.

Edited by tropo