Credit Cards

Oked

I seem to have used all or at least most of them at some time or the other and no problems (well minimun)

Some banks will sometimes take one and not the other and vice versa.

Also time elements have a habit of coming into it.

ie Bangkok Bank ATM @12-30 am might say "contact your bank"where as you try another machine,not neccessary another bank and it OK...TIT

Visa,Mastercard,Cirrus,AMEX,Link,Visa Electron,(Bangkok Be first card)Delta,Switch and a there a local one that operates under the Plus sign. :o:D

OK - All Visa/Mastercards work fine

If however you plan on withdrawing from an ATM - and you live in the UK then open a flex account with the nationwode, and ask for a cash card only.

This allows you to put sterling in the account and withdraw it anywhere on the globe in any ATM free of charge by NATIONWIDE, and 90% of the time free from charges at the ATM as well.

Has worked for me in all the time I have been travelling, never leave home without it. Beats carrying a credit card to get nicked, and I always take travellers cheques as an emergency backup.

HTH

What credit cards are more commonly accepted in Thailand? Visa or MasterCard? Is it possible to withdraw money from the ATM with Cirrus card?

Sorry if this question has been raised before.

I use Amex but at some places it's not accepted. For example, a pharmacy within the Lotus Tesco at On Nut and Rama 4. Where CCs are ok, Visa never fails.

You can withdraw cash from any Cirrus labelled ATM. In fact, having both ATM and Visa card in one I was charged "Cash Advance" interest rate when taking money out. I was unaware that it was not ATM card I was using, but Visa CC. With same PIN number you can easilly confuse what is what.

The bank told me that's how it works and after that, via Internet banking, I would move money into my Visa account before using it in BKK.

Check with your bank.

Used to some problems about 15 years or so ago with Diners Card.

They dont seem to be so popular now and I believe as a charge card their annual fee and repayments requirements are a bit stiff-read high.

As said long time ago so things may have changed. :o