Bangkok To Hanoi By Road

rak sa_ngop

I have a friend who needs to get back to Hanoi on the cheap (he is a teacher).

I know that a train/bus up to Vientiane followed by a bus is one option but I suppose going through Mukdahan/Savannaket would be a shorter trip. How well organised are buses from Savannaket to Hanoi?

Is it better to buy a through trip all the way from BKK to Hanoi from Khao San road, or buy the sectors individually?

What recommendations can other TV members give.

Thanks

This site only seems to cover overland travel to HCMC and Nha Trang through Cambodia and was last updated in 2002.

try the thorntree forum on LP=lonelyplanet

in fact oin Khao Sarn No tickets at all further as Vientiane are sold-is that enough? not even to either Mukdaharn on Savannalhet either. also AFAIK also need to chande somewhere in VietNam for going north-and then train the better alternative

Didnt realise it was that old.I am presently in Hong Kong and this morning booked tickets for 3 of us, on the 4th Dec to fly to Phnom Pehn, and was going to do that trip. Less than 1 hr later Cathay Pacific rang me in my motel room to tell me I was booked on a flight to U Tapao tomorrow morning, leaving HK at 10am. So cancelling that flight just cost me $750HKD.

btw, just before I left Australia, was talking to a girlfriend of my son who I knew had been to Cambodia last year, and she told me she had taken the one bus from PH to Bangkok, none of this taxi,bus,boat trip mucking around, so if I was going that way, thats what I,d be looking to do.

Well, got to UTapao this morning and went in a Boeing777/300 with about 35 people in it,everyone could have a window seat.Didnt take long to unload the plane,took about 2mins to go thru immigration, my suitecase was 1st out on the carousell, and no customs at all.Wouldnt want to be going the other way though, long waits there, but thats probably moot by now.

Fastest I've ever been thru an airport