How To Escape Thailand

ChiangMaiThai

Can everyone stop posting about being stranded in Bangkok?! Take a bus/van/taxi/limo to Chiang Mai. It takes 7 to 8 hours and you will then be able to fly to Taiwan and Singapore. Alternatively, a few more hours and you will reach Phuket with flights to Australia, Singapore, KL, Hong Kong etc.

Is that really so complicated?

Yes its inconvenient. The whole thing is incredibly inconvenient for me too. But you are not "trapped" or "stranded"!

Can everyone stop posting about being stranded in Bangkok?! Take a bus/van/taxi/limo to Chiang Mai. It takes 7 to 8 hours and you will then be able to fly to Taiwan and Singapore. Alternatively, a few more hours and you will reach Phuket with flights to Australia, Singapore, KL, Hong Kong etc.

Yes its inconvenient. The whole thing is incredibly inconvenient for me too. But you are not "trapped" or "stranded"!

You make this seem so easy.

What about visas to enter these countries, how easy are they to obtain for tourists who are not nationals of the above mentioned countries?

For a Brit or an American especially that have families with them, who has to travel to Australia so as to get home, will cost them thousands of dollars extra in travelling costs.

I guess its more convenient to get rescued, and maybe it makes you feel a bit more special.

Obviously, resourcefulness is not the strong side of these posters.

/bbp

I guess its more convenient to get rescued, and maybe it makes you feel a bit more special.

/bbp

It is a great story at home: "I was hold hostage at the airport!!!"

Just don't mention that they weren't angry Muslim Terrorists, but instead elderly women with hand-clapper.

Considering that the cost of a one way ticket is similar to that of a return and that some people might not have a spare 60 - 70,000 or more baht on hand its a pretty expensive escape route.

I think the major problem is that it is hard to find flight details and seat availability. Its a long drive for a family with young children only to find that there are no flights available.

I do agree that people could make the efforts if so need be as my friend did yesterday, hired a car to Hat Yai and has a ticket for the noon bus to KL. He however is the MD of one of UK's major fire truck manufacturers so cash is not an issue and he is not laden down with a wife and ankle biters

You make this seem so easy.

What about visas to enter these countries, how easy are they to obtain for tourists who are not nationals of the above mentioned countries?

For a Brit or an American especially that have families with them, who has to travel to Australia so as to get home, will cost them thousands of dollars extra in travelling costs.

It is easy. You can check flight availability online. You purchase the ongoing flight from the country you fly to from Chiang Mai/Phuket. You don't leave the airport, thus you don't require a visa. You are transiting.

Yes, it's extra money. But if you had enough to come here for a holiday, then you or a friend/relative has enough to get you back. If you don't, then and only then do I have some sympathy for you. Contact your embassy and airline.

People are talking about being held hostage and being stranded, like this is Iran or Beirut or something. This is absolute BS. It's going to take a van/limo/taxi/bus trip and it's going to take some extra money. That's it.

I have been in Thailand for a little over 2 years now. I did not know Changmia had flights to Taiwan...

The point is, if I have been here that long, oblivious to that fact, I imagine a lot of tourists are also (?)

But I do thank the OP, it is nice to know I can leave to Taiwan from CM, I may just do that some day.

Yes, but come on.

I do feel sorry for those poor chaps with their families stuck out here. Imagine getting it in the ear from the wife and kids 24/7. Moaning and telling you it was all you fault to decide to go to Thailand etc etc etc.

Bloody nightmare.

Yes, not pleasant I'm sure. But people need a reality check. They are not hostages. Bangkok is not an island.

Agree with that.

Yesterday there was a Thai businessman complaining that he was stuck the HongKong airport,

he was on live tv in the news(by phone).

In the news they asked the man, "why you don't buy another ticket and fly to ChiangMai?"..

Then he answered that he did not have the money to buy another ticket.....

:o

Yes, but come on.

I do feel sorry for those poor chaps with their families stuck out here. Imagine getting it in the ear from the wife and kids 24/7. Moaning and telling you it was all you fault to decide to go to Thailand etc etc etc.

Bloody nightmare.

Yes, not pleasant I'm sure. But people need a reality check. They are not hostages. Bangkok is not an island.

Let's not forget that a lot of these folks are in a Asian foreign country, perhaps for the first time, and probably on package holidays - where everything is arranged for you. When you haven't travelled independantly before it could seem daunting, and the first thing to do is panic. It's natural. Give em a break. Let them think they are hostages. so what?

If I were in that situation, would simply check into a hotel call the boss and wait for the next flight from BKK.

If I had to get back, then alternative travel is easy to arrange, as shown above.

But I agree that it's all the flapping around and panicing that is not worth while - jai yen yen dii-gwaa.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

I think the major problem is that it is hard to find flight details and seat availability. Its a long drive for a family with young children only to find that there are no flights available.

I do agree that people could make the efforts if so need be as my friend did yesterday, hired a car to Hat Yai and has a ticket for the noon bus to KL. He however is the MD of one of UK's major fire truck manufacturers so cash is not an issue and he is not laden down with a wife and ankle biters

Erm the big problem I see there is WHY do people bring children to a third-world country or one that is unstable?

It's like taking kids to the jungle in many ways, albeit a usually friendly one :o

Parents should be more responsible and stick to Europe or the states, leave Thailand to people who can cope with this.

Too many people see LOS as the spain of the east and need to remember that Thailand comes with its own unique problems.

Inconvenient ? LOL

Ever been on a bus tour with , say 45 people? Remember what a logistical bore it was? Now times that by 5000 and you've got the nightmare of trying to get out of Thailand today . Tomoorow , 2- 3 - 4 HUNDRED THOUSAND people trying to leave

The board's Thai apologists are really in a denial haze today - defending the indefensible is hard work .

Erm the big problem I see there is WHY do people bring children to a third-world country or one that is unstable?

It's like taking kids to the jungle in many ways, albeit a usually friendly one :o

Parents should be more responsible and stick to Europe or the states, leave Thailand to people who can cope with this.

Too many people see LOS as the spain of the east and need to remember that Thailand comes with its own unique problems.

Living in Australia the choice of overseas holiday destinations is restricted to SE Asia for those on a limited budget. Resorts in Thailand offer cheap and safe accommodation for families. Any travel arrangements can go wrong anywhere anytime without warning. Baggage handlers or other staff go on strike. Perhaps we should always stay home - just in case!

maybe because they are mislead by TAT in league with their own govts. that this is a "family" destination as T land is trying to upgrade from the usual sex tourists.

(Guess that plan just got set back .)

Man I wouldl LOVE to say something but CENSORED !!!

That's a bit narrow-minded Jim.

Thailand is usually a great place to bring kids on holiday.

Many tourists were from Asia - should they take their children to europe or the states?.

No tourist had a crystal ball, no one could predict that this was going to happen. I didn't see any of the TV posters warning that the airport was going to be held.

There's a certain smugness, bordering on know-it-all arrogence that is not helpful on this thread.

there is a 2-3 week waiting list for flights from phuket..

Kulala Lumpur is a train ride away, and for Europeans no visa, so no.. there is no excuse for staying in Bangkok and whining about being trapped. But it must be exciting for them nevertheless, just think of all the stories when they get back home. And if you can squeeze a few extra days from your annual holiday ration, then why not.

Kulala Lumpur is a train ride away, and for Europeans no visa, so no.. there is no excuse for staying in Bangkok and whining about being trapped. But it must be exciting for them nevertheless, just think of all the stories when they get back home. And if you can squeeze a few extra days from your annual holiday ration, then why not.

THis post is beyond the usual Thai defender , it is downright stupid, calloused and delusional .

Uh maybe 100,000 people or more are trying to get out of Bangkok , how many busses or trains to MY are there? To Phuket with its 2 week flight waiting list?

What if you're low on money, plenty of people on the end of their holidays are running low on cash . I bet ATMS are running out of money .. Give me a break , I mean some people are just socio-pathetic when it come to defending TLand ..

A mob has taken over the airports- get it? A mob that fires guns into crowds . JHFC!

Edited by HorseDoctor

Personally I would not take the train to the south at the moment..

post-71865-1228041779_thumb.jpg

I have one friend who is "TRAPPED" in Jomtien. He was grinning and told me that it was a great place to be trapped. Another friend just got in from New York. He WASN'T happy having to fly into Phnom Penh. He said the bus ride from there to Jomtien was a nightmare.

/bbp

It is a great story at home: "I was hold hostage at the airport!!!"

Just don't mention that they weren't angry Muslim Terrorists, but instead elderly women with hand-clapper.

YOU must be relying on CNN that hasnt updated the Thai page in 2 days. I saw on Thai news PAD Security firing pistols into a crowd, a mob with covered faces setting up razor wire and blocking roads and wntrances with vandalized vehicles . looks like terrorists hi jacking an airport .

BBC has a guy with marbles in his mouth and pics of Grand ma and toddlers ..

If Mumbai hadn't happened ther'd be plenty more information .

THis post is beyond the usual Thai defender , it is downright stupid, calloused and delusional .

Uh maybe 100,000 people or more are trying to get out of Bangkok , how many busses or trains to MY are there? To Phuket with its 2 week flight waiting list?

I am escaping Thailand tomorrow, here's how:

* We originally had a direct flight booked to Vietnam (cancelled due to obvious reasons).

* We didn't like our chances of getting a seat on a bus, so we rented a minivan and are driving from Bangkok to Phuket leaving in the morning.

* We booked a flight from Phuket to Kuala Lumpur. There are three of us, two got economy tickets straight away and the third is waitlisted (so I don't think there's a 2 week waiting list).

* We have flights from Kuala Lumpur to Ho Chi Minh no problem.

* We arranged all of this yesterday.

So if you think you're stuck, have a look at renting a car to an operating airport (or even a taxi, remember anything is possible in LOS if you are patient, smile and are prepared to pay a bit extra).