Cycle Masks To Filter Out City's Poisonous Pollutants?

Drew Aitch

As someone who walks up the Doi Suthep a fair bit and rides pretty fast on a bicycle through the cities’ roads, I really do think it would be a good idea to have some kind of filter to reduce the amount of pollutants entering the ole lungs.

It’s not too common to see folks walking or riding through Chiang Mai’s polluted streets wearing a protective face mask, and those that do all seem to have the little cheap cotton jobs with straps that loop over the ears. They’re better than nowt, but not the easiest things to breathe through when doing vigorously exercise..

I did manage to find what looked like a better quality job in Tesco Lotus. It was made from protruding plastic and housed a disposable filter at the front to protect the mouth and snot box, but the problem with this model was that the front lid wouldn’t stay clipped down. Thinking I’d perhaps bought a duff item, I purchased another, but same defect!

So, if anyone knows of a lightweight face mask that can be bought locally, please let me know. I’ve noticed a constant irritation at the back of my throat now which is a result of breathing in too many harmful pollutants over time, and as you’ll all know, many of these airborne contaminants can be linked to things such as heart and lung diseases, including asthma, and ozone, which causes sore throats, breathing difficulties and watery eyes.

Much obliged

Aitch

As someone who walks up the Doi Suthep a fair bit and rides pretty fast on a bicycle through the cities' roads, I really do think it would be a good idea to have some kind of filter to reduce the amount of pollutants entering the ole lungs.

It's not too common to see folks walking or riding through Chiang Mai's polluted streets wearing a protective face mask, and those that do all seem to have the little cheap cotton jobs with straps that loop over the ears. They're better than nowt, but not the easiest things to breathe through when doing vigorously exercise..

I did manage to find what looked like a better quality job in Tesco Lotus. It was made from protruding plastic and housed a disposable filter at the front to protect the mouth and snot box, but the problem with this model was that the front lid wouldn't stay clipped down. Thinking I'd perhaps bought a duff item, I purchased another, but same defect!

So, if anyone knows of a lightweight face mask that can be bought locally, please let me know. I've noticed a constant irritation at the back of my throat now which is a result of breathing in too many harmful pollutants over time, and as you'll all know, many of these airborne contaminants can be linked to things such as heart and lung diseases, including asthma, and ozone, which causes sore throats, breathing difficulties and watery eyes.

Much obliged

Aitch

Any hardware store that sells masks, but look for a N95 rating on it, as that is the standard that is needed to filter out the fine particles. The cotton jobbies do nothing. But there is NO mask that will stop the carbon monoxide from entering your system, this was confirmed when I contacted 3M. Best to limit your exposure as much as possible, IE. during rush our.

The pharmacy a few houses next to Black Canyon Tapae Gate in Rachadamnoen Street used to sell the "good ones"

Thanks for the feedback guys

Any hardware store that sells masks, but look for a N95 rating on it, as that is the standard that is needed to filter out the fine particles. The cotton jobbies do nothing. But there is NO mask that will stop the carbon monoxide from entering your system, this was confirmed when I contacted 3M. Best to limit your exposure as much as possible, IE. during rush our.

VIBE Thanks for the tips, that’s useful to know. I have to say that although I agree the cotton jobbies are probably pretty useless for filtering out pollutants, they do do something. I mean, if I get caught at lights in dense traffic and have black smoke spewing out the back of a vehicle, without the cotton mask I can taste it in my mouth, and feel my throat become irritated, and as I neither taste the waste or get a throat irritation with the cotton mask on, something must be working, however insignificant.

Alas, rush hour is when I go out on the bike most as it’s the time I meet mates for dinner. The journey home some 2 or 3 hours later is less of an ordeal though.

The pharmacy a few houses next to Black Canyon Tapae Gate in Rachadamnoen Street used to sell the "good ones"

Thanks for the tip Khun Vee. I think that’s the shop I bought the cotton ones from as it was all they had last time I looked. 20 Baht washables a few doors up from the post office. Think that’s the one!

Aitch

As someone who walks up the Doi Suthep a fair bit and rides pretty fast on a bicycle through the cities' roads, I really do think it would be a good idea to have some kind of filter to reduce the amount of pollutants entering the ole lungs.

It's not too common to see folks walking or riding through Chiang Mai's polluted streets wearing a protective face mask, and those that do all seem to have the little cheap cotton jobs with straps that loop over the ears. They're better than nowt, but not the easiest things to breathe through when doing vigorously exercise..

I did manage to find what looked like a better quality job in Tesco Lotus. It was made from protruding plastic and housed a disposable filter at the front to protect the mouth and snot box, but the problem with this model was that the front lid wouldn't stay clipped down. Thinking I'd perhaps bought a duff item, I purchased another, but same defect!

So, if anyone knows of a lightweight face mask that can be bought locally, please let me know. I've noticed a constant irritation at the back of my throat now which is a result of breathing in too many harmful pollutants over time, and as you'll all know, many of these airborne contaminants can be linked to things such as heart and lung diseases, including asthma, and ozone, which causes sore throats, breathing difficulties and watery eyes.

Much obliged

Aitch

Good answer. There is a 3M contact in Thailand if you wish. Google it. 3M makes several models of face masks, some very sophisticated. Local stores can order them for you.

Otherwise, do something other than going around looking like Darth Vader. It's bad for tourism! There are numerous threads on this site regarding air pollution in Chiang Mai, which can really get serious seasonally from late February - early April. If you are uncomfortable now, you will not enjoy it here then. Find the threads and join the effort to ameliorate it.

In the meantime, you are right. The traffic cops here don't wear face masks to keep from getting chapped lips.

Edited by Mapguy

Wouldn't any mask that's good enough to filter our fine particles be also good enough to make it much harder to suck air through? That could be an issue when cycling up-hill.

BTW, to pre-empt anyone from having a good air related whine: The air in Chiang Mai is among the best in Thailand. Saraburi and Chonburi being among the ones that are much worse. (See the PCD site.) (Yes I know this will change in March; for most of the year the air in Chiang Mai is really quite good. Of course around traffic and on a bike you will inhale exhaust fumes.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Wouldn't any mask that's good enough to filter our fine particles be also good enough to make it much harder to suck air through? That could be an issue when cycling up-hill.

BTW, to pre-empt anyone from having a good air related whine: The air in Chiang Mai is among the best in Thailand. Saraburi and Chonburi being among the ones that are much worse. (See the PCD site.) (Yes I know this will change in March; for most of the year the air in Chiang Mai is really quite good. Of course around traffic and on a bike you will inhale exhaust fumes.)

You know Winnie, I'm one of the great defenders of Chiang Mai and tend to pooh pooh these sensationalists that get upset about the air in March. The thing is, I don't live in the city.

Have made a few trips there recently, and the air is absolutely noxious, everyday. I had no idea. Every moment spent there was worse than any moment I've spent outside the city, even in March. I think those people need to get busy on some pollution regs for vehicles and stop getting upset so much about field and forest burning, which they won't be able to change anyway.

Have made a few trips there recently, and the air is absolutely noxious, everyday. I had no idea. Every moment spent there was worse than any moment I've spent outside the city, even in March. I think those people need to get busy on some pollution regs for vehicles and stop getting upset so much about field and forest burning, which they won't be able to change anyway.

I lived in central Bkk for 3 years and never suffered with traffic polution like i do in CM. But that said, when i lived in Bkk, I either drove, or took my condo boat direct to Skytrain station, and skytrain straight into meter taxi if the journey needed to be continued to destination. So my exposure was more limited and i certainly wasn't cycling amid the traffic. I love it up here, and the poor air quality is my only gripe with the old city. Even walking up the Doi Suthep can be a choking experience when convoys of trucks and tourist coaches strain their way up the hill.

So if i can get a decnet mask to reduce exposure to these pollutants before the kill me, i'll be one happy camper :o

Aitch

Since I don't own a moto, I use my bicycle to get around town so I spend a lot of time around traffic averaging 20 to 30k a day. Even though I realize the cloth face mask has limited benefits, it is much better than nothing. I notice the difference when I ride without it. I would love to find a soft face mask that would filter more of the air pollutants. I ride up to Phuping Palace 1 to 2 times a week but try to leave no later than 6AM when there is a lot less traffic going up.

Since I don't own a moto, I use my bicycle to get around town so I spend a lot of time around traffic averaging 20 to 30k a day. Even though I realize the cloth face mask has limited benefits, it is much better than nothing. I notice the difference when I ride without it. I would love to find a soft face mask that would filter more of the air pollutants. I ride up to Phuping Palace 1 to 2 times a week but try to leave no later than 6AM when there is a lot less traffic going up.

Probably one or more of the local bike shops carry something like this:

http://www.awcycles.co.uk/category/Cycle_C.../p_1/index.aspx