Getting To U-tapao

nightgoat

After reading the reports on the Nation and Bangkok Post, it appears Thai Airways and Malaysia Air will fly some more flights from U-Tapao. Information about U-Tapao is very limited here, but I was able to book online for Dec 2 getting to Seoul on TG 634. However, there is no information on Thai's website about this flight re-routing to U-Tapao, as indeed my ticket still shows Suvarhnaphumi. Has anyone got out to this flight from U-Tapao? TV is showing numbers for hotlines but nobody answers. The TAT advised me to go to Centara Hotel at Central World to check in, but this is inconsistent with other news reports indicating Thai is requiring people to check in at one of their three offices in BKK, which are naturally unreachable by phone. I have also heard BITEC will open tomorrow (Monday) for checking in. This would save me a lot of headache, as I am in Bangna and do not wish to trudge all the way across town to Centara with loads of luggage and the possibility of bombs and gunfire. Can anyone please provide straight information on how to get to U-Tapao, and if the airlines are carting people there by bus?

Hi, I live nearby, and had a look at the UTP terminal. It is very small, and cannot handle the volume of people going through there now, most of the people were waiting outside in the parking lot. There are lines out the door to board flights, and long lines to get to a makeshift desk to talk to anyone. I think they are handling only one flight at a time as there is only one x-ray machine.

I can't say whether it is a good idea to go there or not it may be up to luck whether you get onto a flight. they are doing their best, but this airport terminal is not made for this kind of volume. If you go make sure you bring water, a hat, and some food, it won't be quick.

Taxi normally about 1400-1600 baht from BKK (a guess)

Do not bother going to U-Tapao unless you have a confirmed seat on a flight out of there. The 3-hour trip will take at least five hours, and if you do finally reach the terminal, you will find that they are not equipped to handle unbooked passengers. Actually, they can barely handle the ones that are confirmed for the flights, which is why most of the outbound departures have been delayed, sometimes by hours.

If you arrive without a reservation, they will only send you back. Line up at a Thai ticket office in Bangkok, or go to the counters they're setting up at BITEC before you even think about going to UTP.

Best of luck to you.