Expats: How Worried Are You That Thailand Is Falling Apart?

Jingthing

Expats: How worried are you that Thailand is falling apart?  

460 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well I'm not exactly an expat. I lived in Thailand from May 2005 to May 2006 as a transfer student. I currently live and work in Dubai. I however am considering doing my MBA in two years, I haven't thought about specific universities yet, but I know I want to do it in South East Asia. Sasin English MBA program at Chulalongkorn University is supposedly amongst the best in that region. Now although I'm not after getting an MBA from necessarily the best university, primarily for the education, the cultural experience in the east and to perhaps learn a language, but most of you folks know how much an impact it can make when one has an MBA from a good university. My question to you guys is, if I do my MBA in Thailand, do you think employers will react negatively, say if I end up going back to the EU or US for a job? Negatively, due to the situation currently ensuing in Thailand or for any other reason you might come up with? Of course if I want the name, I could do Harvard or Stanford, (I would never get in to those unis, but you get my drift! :o) but I feel its more important that one learns and gains personal/life experience. I plan, well rather I hope to live and work in East Asia one day, trying to make way there step by step. I've conquered the EU and the Middle East, but now I want to go further east.

I'd like to hear some opinions. I'm sure this would be interesting for anyone primarily interested in getting an MBA/Masters from Thailand and those worried the current situation and the so-called "Thailand is Falling Apart" may have on their decisions.

Regards,

Martin

Edited by doczenith83

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a bit worried about the current situation. The unpredictability of life is my favorite part of living. I think that all countries are far closer to imploding than we would ever believe and the miracle is that somehow we all muddle through. I see no benefit in worrying about things I have no control over. Thailand is where life has put me and so I will make the best of things.

As my Brit friends quaintly say: "SPOT ON!"

I'm with you, Garro.

Agreed. For me also, its uncertainty that makes it interesting. Its a sad fact, but whilst the country is arguing amongst itself, it won't have time to start coming up with new laws for visa/housing etc.. to give me more hassle. Its not good for the Thai people, especially those involved in the tourist industry in Pattaya. Lets hope there is a sensible resolution to this.

If this gets much worse (it is already bad) expats here have a lot more to lose if this turns south than a ruined holiday.

So how worried are you that is going to happen?

I remember when I was about 9 years old I spent one night at a friend's home. It was the first time I had ever been away from my family. My friend's family routine seemed very foreign to me. It was difficult sleeping in a strange bed. I missed my dog. Everyone was very nice to me, but the next morning I wanted to go home where everything seemed familiar.

Apparently some people who moved to Thailand are experiencing similar feelings.

If this gets much worse (it is already bad) expats here have a lot more to lose if this turns south than a ruined holiday.

I remember when I was about 9 years old I spent one night at a friend's home. It was the first time I had ever been away from my family. My friend's family routine seemed very foreign to me. It was difficult sleeping in a strange bed. I missed my dog. Everyone was very nice to me, but the next morning I wanted to go home where everything seemed familiar.

Apparently some people who moved to Thailand are experiencing similar feelings.

Sorry, but that's a ridiculous analogy.

You are talking about garden variety culture shock. The topic is about a severe and yet to be resolved political crisis evidenced by the recent actions at the Bangkok airports.

Edited by Jingthing

Im much more worried that the whole world is falling apart and a huge world war is about to ensue!!

The biggest problem as I see it is the complete breakdown of Law and Order around these airport incidents.

Looking from afar in another country at the time, it appeared that either no-one was in-charge of a critical situation, thus no-one seemed to know what to do, or was afraid to take some meaningful steps, whatever that should have been.

It makes one wonder if when the next big incident happens, perhaps with a lot more violence, many innocent people may get hurt or worse.

How ever a group of citizens can take over a country's major airports and dictate what is what in regard to connections with the outside world amazes me!

I wonder just how many of the then assembled mass's can even imagine the damage they have done to Thailand in the eye's of the rest of the world.

Perhaps the food on their tables from day to day is a tad more plentiful with the related help of the Tourist dollars coming in.

Will be interesting to see the amount of Tourists in and around Silom and Sukhumvit in a few weeks time and of course Phuket?

I voted for 'a tiny bit worried' as I feel that my work and business life have been only moderately affected when compared with what my friends and family back home tell me they are going through. I've only lived in Bangkok for 5 years and I can't proffess to know that much at all about Thailand in the scheme of things. I was happy to see the protests pass but it never concerned me that the country was going to collapse.