P A D -bkk Protesters Aim To ‘re-educate’ Rural Thais

LaoPo

I again state that to believe "they haven't evolved much" decries the possibility that any of them believe in what they are doing.

You missed my point - yes, they beleive in their cause, the problem is they don't know how uncivilised and primitive their "protests" are. Basically they don't know what they are doing, same as in that Jesus quote. They deserve forgiveness, but not their masters, who are the primary beneficiaries of these protests.

As for the majority of PPP voters - I don't think they support red's violent activism and I don't think they believe in it and I doubt reds would have numbers to sustain their protests, even though they plan a three day sit-in at Sanam Luang now.

And, of course, there's cynical Newin with his "you give them 100 billion they'd love you more than Thaksin" policy proposal. Straight out of the horse's mouth.

When PAD has been reportedly using soiled sanitary pads, I am not sure anyone can claim a more civilised or more or less primitive form of protest. Neither side has proven above primitive or violent protest.

This also begs the question which majority of anyone supported the PAD? Never once did they manage to muster more than maybe 150k (and I may be exaggerating just to acknowledge they had more than Man United can muster for a premiership game, but considerably less than the Rolling Stones at Knebworth) people in the centre of Bangkok on weekends. It was the length and places of their protest that enabled them to prevail, not an overwhelming majority of the populous or a million man march.

I am all for giving them 100bn, but how and in what form is the nub of the question, not the principle. I notice when policies are aimed at the poor it is populist, but changes to corporation taxes or income taxes are in some way proposed as sophisticated, necessary economic reform.

The rural population and the poor are the majority of the country irrespective of who they vote for. Policies need to be aimed at helping the country economically, but if their benefits never reach the poor, the country will become polarised as it is today.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sanitary pads were used once in a kind of "black magic" ritual, and they didn't harm anybody.

I don't know what to think of Koo's support for firing grenades at sleeping people, or hurling bags of shit at their opponents, or flashing their genitals.

The next protest in Bangkok will be led by the same thugs who directed Ubon's lynching mob, btw. The same guys who offered ten thousand for heads of killed PAD leaders via loudspeakers while the goons were bashing anything that moved with flagpoles.

Previously I set one condition for reds to be taken politically seriously - drop Thaksin off their banners. I didn't mean that the likes of Kwanchai should be allowed to stay either.

Re post 3451, where ' Thai at Heart' says:

"...I notice when policies are aimed at the poor it is populist, but changes to corporation taxes or income taxes are in some way proposed as sophisticated, necessary economic reform. ..."

So true.

It reminds me of something that was pointed out to me long, long ago about us humans being more able to see a speck in someone else's eye than a great big lump in our own!

I am not going to get involved in the game of quoting numbers from tables of statistics, because I have no faith in the way that they are tabulated. For instance, they list 'employed in agriculure', but don't say how many of these are partly-employed in agriculture and partly-employed in something else like so many of my neighbours.

But my gut feeling is that 'Lao Po' is right: we see small minorities struggling between themselves to get power to exploit the large majority.

I await with trepidation the time when the big 'it' happens. If there is any poster that doesn't know to what I refer, they are referred to some overseas forums where 'it' is allowed to be discussed.

Looking back at the OP and some of the simplistic images of their country that some of the Bangkokians reveal, there seems to be more of a need for some primary education in some products of the higher-education industry than of 're-education' up here.

OK LaoPo

My questions

the 38 million you state as being included in the labor force--- does that include all people that include all wages?

the 50% in agriculture --- does that include all the folks in agriculture like rubber plantations etc?

and you fail to address who is this mysterious "the xxxx"?

Numbers from CIA World Fact Book:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/th...eos/th.html#top

Thailand Population: 65,493,296

note: estimates for this country explicitly take into account the effects of excess mortality due to AIDS; this can result in lower life expectancy, higher infant mortality, higher death rates, lower population growth rates, and changes in the distribution of population by age and sex than would otherwise be expected (July 2008 est.)

Labor force: 36.9 million (2007 est.)

Labor force - by occupation: agriculture: 49% (=18.08 Million work foce in agriculture)

Agricultural wage of employed persons as of Q4 - 2007:

1. agriculture, hunting and forestry Baht 3.420

2. Fishing Baht 4.734

post-13995-1229975555_thumb.png Thai labour wages agriculture (blue line) versus non-agriculture (red line)

http://thaicrisis.wordpress.com/2008/04/03...m-2002-to-2007/

whilst writing this post I found more -interesting- details about the wages in Q1 and Q2 in 2008:

the wages for Q1 and #1 (above) rose to Baht 5.286/month and dropped again to Baht 3,732/month in Q2. Quite a heavy drop if you ask me.

post-13995-1229975642_thumb.jpg Average monthly wage of employees, per quarter, from Q1 2002 to Q4 2007

http://thaicrisis.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/wagesdatas.jpg

You are trying to catch me asking more detailed information, knowing that I am not able to have answers to that, like asking if workers in rubber plantations are included in agriculture. The same for your question: "the wages --- are those wages based upon anything other than crop sales of rice"

Those questions are childish and you know it and not worthy from an adult, taking part in a discussion.

You are always very very good in delivering counter messages whereby you always claim to know the truth, WITHOUT ever giving evidence or quoting official sources yourself.

Well, you asked for information and I gave it to you but I have no expectations that you will accept those numbers, will you ?

Oh, about your question: "and you fail to address who is this mysterious "the xxxx"?: answer: click on Forum rules, third sentence.

Now, Jdinasia, what about YOUR sources that will prove I'm mistaken ?

If you are up to asking more questions about numbers and percentages, I suggest you write to the official departments in Thailand, responsible for those numbers.

I did that myself recently about tourism numbers, and guess what ?

I got an answer within 24 hours and was quite satisfied.

Now, try to be a MAN and give me a plausible intellectual answer, not bs.

Do you still remember WHY I posted my message...? the Topic is about rural Thai..... :D

LaoPo

:D ...7 days ago an jdinasia has not answered yet...

It certainly says something about your credibility jdinasia... :o

After all it was YOU who asked questions and I politely answered.

LaoPo

OK LaoPo

My questions

the 38 million you state as being included in the labor force--- does that include all people that include all wages?

the 50% in agriculture --- does that include all the folks in agriculture like rubber plantations etc?

note: estimates for this country explicitly take into account the effects of excess mortality due to AIDS; this can result in lower life expectancy, higher infant mortality, higher death rates, lower population growth rates, and changes in the distribution of population by age and sex than would otherwise be expected (July 2008 est.)

Labor force - by occupation: agriculture: 49% (=18.08 Million work foce in agriculture)

2. Fishing Baht 4.734

post-13995-1229975555_thumb.png Thai labour wages agriculture (blue line) versus non-agriculture (red line)

whilst writing this post I found more -interesting- details about the wages in Q1 and Q2 in 2008:

the wages for Q1 and #1 (above) rose to Baht 5.286/month and dropped again to Baht 3,732/month in Q2. Quite a heavy drop if you ask me.

post-13995-1229975642_thumb.jpg Average monthly wage of employees, per quarter, from Q1 2002 to Q4 2007

You are trying to catch me asking more detailed information, knowing that I am not able to have answers to that, like asking if workers in rubber plantations are included in agriculture. The same for your question: "the wages --- are those wages based upon anything other than crop sales of rice"

Those questions are childish and you know it and not worthy from an adult, taking part in a discussion.

You are always very very good in delivering counter messages whereby you always claim to know the truth, WITHOUT ever giving evidence or quoting official sources yourself.

Well, you asked for information and I gave it to you but I have no expectations that you will accept those numbers, will you ?

Oh, about your question: "and you fail to address who is this mysterious "the xxxx"?: answer: click on Forum rules, third sentence.

If you are up to asking more questions about numbers and percentages, I suggest you write to the official departments in Thailand, responsible for those numbers.

Do you still remember WHY I posted my message...? the Topic is about rural Thai..... :D

LaoPo

LaoPo

Still no word? Maybe you've been added to his ever-growing "ignore" list. Seems quite the fashion when faced with inconvenient truths. Anyway, perhaps this will serve as a *BUMP* :D

Memo to self - complete and post replies to Plus........... someone who does at least maintain a discussion (however wrong I think he/she is).

OK LaoPo

My questions

2. Fishing Baht 4.734

LaoPo

LaoPo

Still no word? Maybe you've been added to his ever-growing "ignore" list. Seems quite the fashion when faced with inconvenient truths. Anyway, perhaps this will serve as a *BUMP* :D

Memo to self - complete and post replies to Plus........... someone who does at least maintain a discussion (however wrong I think he/she is).

I have to agree with people's use of "ignore", this is cyber discussion not a private members club.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Looking at the hits for thai visa... http://truehits.net/stat.php?login=thaivisa

1)mfa.go.th 8.62%

2)nationmultimedia.com 8.05%

3)bangkokpost.com 7.47%

4)tourism.go.th 5.75%

5)thaisecondhand.com 4.02%

6)one2car.com 3.45%

7)homedd.com 2.87%

8)rubberthai.com

Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Kingdom of Thailand is number 1 in the rank... what does this mean, are they the top outgoing link? or the top 'visitor' ?

ta

Edited by SomNamNah

Inconvenient truths maybe in some cases,

but aggravating punters also fits well in many cases.

I would rather know when some one is slagging me,

than be oblivious, then I can ignore them the old fashioned way.

Don't read'm.

Not in this case. Member jdinasia asked me specific questions and I answered into detail.

It could have been he didn't read my answers but why ask questions and than disappear (for 9 days now, whilst being prominent posting elsewhere on this forum) or ignore (which I can't be sure of, of course) ?

In both cases it's impolite NOT to answer.

LaoPo

I was commenting on the use of 'Ignore Member' feature.

Maybe he was off somewhere and has limited time at internet cafes to respond.

I know I HATE using those cheesy keyboards to comment on anything.

it IS the holiday season. Man doesn't live by TVF alone.

In fact I am on the road in 24 hours too, no internet at all for some time.

You should feel relieved.

I was commenting on the use of 'Ignore Member' feature.

2.. Maybe he was off somewhere and has limited time at internet cafes to respond.

3. I know I HATE using those cheesy keyboards to comment on anything.

it IS the holiday season. Man doesn't live by TVF alone.

In fact I am on the road in 24 hours too, no internet at all for some time.

4. You should feel relieved.

1. Happy New year to you and your beloved ones

2. he was not off somewhere...he was ON the forum News Years' Eve.

3. :D you HATE those keyboards...??? I thought you were glued to them...

4. Have a good trip and.....I will be relieved not to have to see that eye for a while.... :o

LaoPo