Several Nations Race To Repatriate Nationals Stranded In Thailand

george

Several nations race to repatriate nationals stranded in Thailand

BANGKOK: -- Foreign nations have rushed to evacuate their nationals being stranded in Thailand after anti-government protesters closed down Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang airports.

China had provided seven charter flights to repatriate its stranded nationals, believed to number 2,000-3,000 people, by Saturday and had further flights planned for Sunday, Xinhua news agency said.

The agency said the first of the flights bringing home Chinese citizens arrived in Shanghai early on Sunday.

Meanwhile Philippine President Gloria Arroyo has ordered her foreign department to account for hundreds of Filipinos among those stranded in the Thai capital and asked that they be brought home to Manila from the northern city of Chiang Mai.

Australia's Foreign Minister Stephen Smith said his government was becoming increasingly frustrated by Thai authorities' inability to help evacuate tourists caught up in the demonstrations which have paralysed air traffic.

"It's very frustrating for us and it's very frustrating for those stranded Australians," he said.

"Some are becoming increasingly distressed, and we understand that. We've been working very hard putting pressure on the Thai airlines and on the Thai tourism authorities to try and get some Thai airline flights out.

He said Canberra had urged Thai airlines and tourism authorities to provide extra flights out and accommodation for the hundreds of luckless Australian visitors, but noted that "we can't rely upon... that presenting a conclusion".

Australian airline Qantas would provide extra flights to Thailand, but that is dependent upon getting access to the airports and getting flights in, Smith said.

Japan's two major airlines, Japan Airlines and All Nippon Airways said Sunday they are organising flights from the U-Tapao air base to bring back tourists stranded by mass protests.

Meanwhile Spain will send three planes, two military aircraft and a chartered plane to Thailand to bring back some 300 of its citizens.

"Considering the special circumstances in Thailand, the Spanish government has decided to take action so that Spanish nationals affected by the continuing closure of the Bangkok airports can return home," said a foreign ministry statement.

-- The Nation/Agencies 2008-12-01

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thirty stranded aircraft leave Suvaranbhumi

BANGKOK: -- Stranded aircraft, from both domestic and international airlines, began leaving Suvarnabhumi Airport since last night without any disruption from the anti-government protesters, the People's Alliance for Demcocracy (PAD) who stormed and seized the international airport since Tuesday.

There were 88 aircraft stranded at the airport, 12 belonging to foreign airlines while 76 were Thai-based airlines including Thai Airways International and Thai Air Asia.

Since Sunday night 30 of 88 empty aircraft had already left Suvarnabhumi without runway lights and or light on the aircraft as the authorities were afraid that the move would be disrupted by the protesters.

However, the operation ran smoothly, as the empty aircraft would be used for flights at other airports such as U-Tapao, Chiang Mai, Phuket or other regional airports to help stranded passengers to return home.

There were some 100,000 Thais and foreign passengers stranded in Thailand and abroad due to the closure of the two main airports, Suvarnabhumi last Tuesday and Don Mueang airport last Wednesday.

However, Suvarnabhumi airport will remain closed until 6pm today due to the presence of protesters, making it unsafe to reopen the airport.

-- TNA 2008-12-01

I am surprised as why PAD did not get to the other airports, too much effort?

anyway yesterday evening a lot of planes took off, could hear that, after some noised that sounded like little explosions or gunshots

(kinda live very near suvi)

ahhh, it's kinda quite at night since a week :o who should I thank for that ? PAD or policy that does not do their job to remove those xyzHOLES

"The U.S. embassy in Bangkok said it had asked the Thai foreign ministry to provide "appropriate compensation" to U.S. citizens stranded by the closure of Suvarnabhumi and the older Don Muang airport, a big domestic hub."

http://www.daylife.com/photo/01hU1nuf7adHc

to quote a non famous policeman in Pattaya

If you (falang) werent here then accident would not have happened

can be translated as if you were not here on holidays then you wouldnt be stranded at the airport and need compensation

TIT

"The U.S. embassy in Bangkok said it had asked the Thai foreign ministry to provide "appropriate compensation" to U.S. citizens stranded by the closure of Suvarnabhumi and the older Don Muang airport, a big domestic hub."

do you think this compensation could apply to expats wirking in Thailand who have lost out as well??? .........

It would seem the only answer to this stalemate is to have the army take over again! Not perfect but may save a lot of bloodshed and get the airports open......One thing that does puzzle me is that tourists are comming in still through U-tapai(sorry if spelt wrong).Only in that i had not heard that before..Just read a press release bbc...

Oh when we we get more Baht to the pound?

Not really much of a race to move folks back to their home country. The rich and resourceful can get in and out of Bangkok using a bit of imagination. I think the last place on earth I want to be is U-tapao with the throngs of unhappy travelers.

I empathize with those pasengers but I wonder why most do not simply get on the train to Penang. Get a bus from there to KL and leave from there.

Is the average tourist that hopeless?

On a different tack I hope the Thai travellers to Mecca managed to get out. Some of them may have saved for years for their one ond only trip of a lifetime.

So why is the airport closed? Is it the "knee jerk" "common sense" "this is the thing to do" reaction? Keep the stupid airport open. Work around the crowd. Do the best you can to maintain something normal. (if that's not an oxymoron) Is there a reason why seafood and orchids cannot be flown out of Thailand because of some protesters? I haven't been to the airport, so I don't really know. I know it would be difficult to get to the airport, so maybe there is another way, I don't know. The people in the airport should be able to leave by plane. I have seen the live footage and yes there are alot of people there. I think it would look good if the PAD showed that they can "close" the airport and still have it carry on business in a resonsible manner. Why can't the PAD let the bonafide passengers come and go from the airport? But then again on the other hand. while the PM hides out in Chieng Mai, I'm wondering why he is holding out. What is he waiting for? Why is it so dam_n important that he is th PM when so many around Asia don't want him there. Is he hanging in there so as to pardon someone? Is there a big payoff in the end? :o hmmmm

to quote a non famous policeman in Pattaya

If you (falang) werent here then accident would not have happened

can be translated as if you were not here on holidays then you wouldnt be stranded at the airport and need compensation

TIT

That is a hilarious comment, and an idiotic one too, haha!!!

All the people stranded here will get home soon. They will tell all their fellow citizens about their ordeals. They will do news conferences. Some may even write books about this. All of this will haunt THAILAND forever. Millions of people will never come here because of this selfish move by both PAD and PPP. THAILAND may become listed as a no-travel zone by pissed off nations. I wish all travellers were safe and at home with lots of money for their troubles...paid for by PAD and PPP.

However, Suvarnabhumi airport will remain closed until 6pm today due to the presence of protesters, making it unsafe to reopen the airport.

-- TNA 2008-12-01

Huh? Have I missed something?

When are the Airports opening again?

According to Reuters, it will take at least one week... when sit-in is over

anyone have info on what UK is doing to help Brits stuck here?

:o:D:D:D Sweet F.A.....what do you think ? If the PAD wanted to make everyone happy they should occupy the British Embassy and trash it , for all the good it does U.K. citizens.

Several nations race to repatriate nationals stranded in Thailand

Thread topic above.

Anyone got anything remotely to do with above topic to say?

Anyone know what UK is doing to help Brits? Alternatively, anyone know if Brit airways is flying people from somewhere else? Their website is no use.

I've been stuck down in Phuket wanting to get to BKK (Yes it can be done, but not too bad to be here) I wonder how travel insurrance works with this situation. I just dropped an extra hundred bucks on a one way biz ticket up to BKK using an online travel agency which sells insurrance. Hoping that I would be covered if the flight is canceled.. Thai only charges around 4500 a ticket each way and Orbitz $150 each way plus the insurrance and ticket issue fee. I am hoping the insurrance will cover my hefty hotel expenses here if I am stuck :o

anyone have info on what UK is doing to help Brits stuck here?

:o:D:D:D Sweet F.A.....what do you think ? If the PAD wanted to make everyone happy they should occupy the British Embassy and trash it , for all the good it does U.K. citizens.

My daughter is stranded in Phuket - no one (including the Brit Embassy) seems to acknowledge that the problem goes way beyond Bangkok. Looked in vain for info about Phuket - none that I can find! Anyone know more?

-- TNA 2008-12-01

Huh? Have I missed something?

When are the Airports opening again?

According to Reuters, it will take at least one week... when sit-in is over

Wear black instead of red or yellow to show you are fed up with this stupid rally's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I empathize with those pasengers but I wonder why most do not simply get on the train to Penang. Get a bus from there to KL and leave from there.

Is the average tourist that hopeless?

On a different tack I hope the Thai travellers to Mecca managed to get out. Some of them may have saved for years for their one ond only trip of a lifetime.

I understand what you say about travellers using land transport to a neighbouring country and flying out from there. But the travellers to Mecca I don't think should be top priority- have a mate who's mother had a stroke- unable to visit her and the prognosis is grim. Feel more sorry for people in those sort of situations.

Fingers crossed it will all be resolved soon,

Christian who would love to be home for Xmas (something I can only afford to do every few years!)

I've been stuck down in Phuket wanting to get to BKK (Yes it can be done, but not too bad to be here) I wonder how travel insurrance works with this situation. I just dropped an extra hundred bucks on a one way biz ticket up to BKK using an online travel agency which sells insurrance. Hoping that I would be covered if the flight is canceled.. Thai only charges around 4500 a ticket each way and Orbitz $150 each way plus the insurrance and ticket issue fee. I am hoping the insurrance will cover my hefty hotel expenses here if I am stuck :o

Not think so.

Force Majeure (French for "superior force") is a common clause in contracts which essentially frees both parties from liability or obligation when an extraordinary event or circumstance beyond the control of the parties, such as war, strike, riot, crime, act of God (e.g., flooding, earthquake, volcano), prevents one or both parties from fulfilling their obligations under the contract.

You know you have got to admire the absolute efrontery of the USA asking for compensation? WShat about when I was stranded due to strikes in USA no one came arround offering anything.

The " we rule the world" attitude. Rob the pooer, and the USA has done that well throughout the world. Over 70% of the current finacial problems of the moment,stem from a Banrupt country and they still have the cheek to put their hand out.

Sham, shame, shame.

Not think so.

Force Majeure (French for "superior force") is a common clause in contracts which essentially frees both parties from liability or obligation when an extraordinary event or circumstance beyond the control of the parties, such as war, strike, riot, crime, act of God (e.g., flooding, earthquake, volcano), prevents one or both parties from fulfilling their obligations under the contract.

But surely cannot apply this in retrospect (i.e. it WASN'T the case when you travelled)?

OK OK I know - insurance companies will try anything to avoid their obligations!