Looking For Prague Powder #1

SlackJawChef

Hi I have been making my own sausages, ham's and bacon's, for many years.

I am getting ready to move to Thailand, and would like to keep my hand in.

Will be doing most of my curing Nitrate free, but for some things you just have to have it..... Can anyone tell me if they know where to buy Prague powder #1?

I could use saltpeter but I don't know if I can buy that at the pharmacy's, as it is also one of the mane ingredients in some non-culinary recipes that the government might be restricting....

Any info would be great ... I will try looking in Chinatown in BKK, when (If) I get there in a few week's, as the Chines use some sort of preservative "nitrates" in there sausages and dried meats, hence the distinctive pink/red colour...... thanks James

Hi I have been making my own sausages, ham's and bacon's, for many years.

I am getting ready to move to Thailand, and would like to keep my hand in.

Will be doing most of my curing Nitrate free, but for some things you just have to have it..... Can anyone tell me if they know where to buy Prague powder #1?

I could use saltpeter but I don't know if I can buy that at the pharmacy's, as it is also one of the mane ingredients in some non-culinary recipes that the government might be restricting....

Any info would be great ... I will try looking in Chinatown in BKK, when (If) I get there in a few week's, as the Chines use some sort of preservative "nitrates" in there sausages and dried meats, hence the distinctive pink/red colour...... thanks James

Saltpetre is easy to find in Thailand - they utlizing it to make naem just about everywhere.

My wife even bought some a local talat.

Sodium Nitrate and Nitrite can be bought as well from food additive suppliers here, but I'm not sure where to find a small qty. Maybe someone else can help with that...