The Avenue. Hidden 100 Baht Carpark Surcharge After Midnight

grahamhc

The Avenue. Hidden 100 Baht carpark surcharge after midnight

Tonight I used the Avenue Carpark on Second Road, arriving at 11:02 pm when the carpark was emptying with many clear spaces. I did some shopping at Villa Supermarket and then decided to take a Baht Bus into town.

I returned at 3:05am and was prepared to pay the extra 40 Baht parking fee.

On leaving, they demanded 140 Baht saying that there is now a 100 Baht surcharge for using the carpark AFTER MIDNIGHT. (Villa is advertised as a 24 hour supermarket). This is new as I have used the carpark often and never been asked for this surcharge before.

When I pointed out that no such surcharge was on the pricing notices affixed to the Entry/Exit booths, the cashier pointed to small writing on the back on the ticket saying it listed the fee. The writing was so small that I could not read it even with reading glasses.

When said I wanted the Tourist Police to come and sort it out, as the 100 Baht fee was not on the price notices, they called a supervisor and after about 5 minutes deep discussion, they let me out the carpark for 60 Baht, which was still over the 40 Baht fee as defined on the Carpark Fee Notice.

<br />
Did you get your ticket stamped at Villa Market.....if not there is your problem. If you did get it stamped then this is terrible!!!
<br />Yes, it was stamped, and they took my "Shopping time" into consideration !!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

The Avenue is the worst place to park and shop in all Pattaya. They are constantly trying to rip off customers. I parked there to go to Mc Donald's. I was in Mickey D's less than a half hour and was charged 20 baht, even with the stamp! Clearly, they are trying to make up for the fact that nobody shops there.

Yes, and all these parking fee shinanigans really helps to drum-up business.

I still predict that soon after the new Central Mall opens the Avenue is toast and will be redeveloped at an "entertainment" complex. It has the perfect layout for a bunch of gogos and beer bars and a great location for such. Micky Ds, the market, movies, and bowling will all stay and do well as places for punters and their new friends to eat and have fun.

<br />
Did you get your ticket stamped at Villa Market.....if not there is your problem. If you did get it stamped then this is terrible!!!
<br />Yes, it was stamped, and they took my "Shopping time" into consideration !!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

The Avenue is the worst place to park and shop in all Pattaya. They are constantly trying to rip off customers. I parked there to go to Mc Donald's. I was in Mickey D's less than a half hour and was charged 20 baht, even with the stamp! Clearly, they are trying to make up for the fact that nobody shops there.

I think the worst is the inappropriately named "Friendship" supermarket car park on South Pattaya Road. I used to always shop there but now I prefer elsewhere as there is always some hassle or I am left feeling somehow compromised by their parking regime as they scrutinise my ticket and time and how much I spent. Just a feeling, but a strong one. They lost my custom over it.

Friendship charges you for doing a u-turn through their car park ! Bt10 or Bt20. Then, no matter how much you spend, you only get an hour shopping on your ticket or charges start to rack up.

Yes, but they POST THE CHARGES so it is your choice if you use the Car Park. It never takes me a hour to do my shopping there, and I always spend over 200 Baht so get the free parking allocation.

The Avenue DID NOT POST THE AFTER MIDNIGHT SURCHARGE CHARGE.

BTW, My complaint was about The Avenue management, Not Villa Supermarket, who are just tenants

The Avenue is already on life-support. probably the most successful business over there

is california wow and i've never even been inside, just guaging from the traffic flow. the

villa market is it's own worst enemy. i've tried shopping in there, some staff polite, others

downright rude and surly, who's managing the place? you can't run a business like this?

And nobody cares and it will fold up and go away in the next 6 months guaranteed. :o

The only thing I do like about the Avenue is the Major Cineplex. I much prefer it to Big C's SF Cinema..

Im surprised they don't charge motorbikes for parking there!

The bowling place looks unusual too, has anyone tried it?

I only used the carpark once.. Had a struggle getting out of their stupid little exit after paying a fee to walk around their boring mall. Now if we go in the car, we just park up the road and use the side or front entrance. Much faster. Not as safe as parking in the car park but then again Ive seen so many cars getting broken into in Mall carparks :o

I think the Avenue is going dowwwnnnnn once the new Central Mall opens.. Lets hope that one isn't going to be a failure just like this one.

The only thing I do like about the Avenue is the Major Cineplex. I much prefer it to Big C's SF Cinema..

Im surprised they don't charge motorbikes for parking there!

The bowling place looks unusual too, has anyone tried it?

I only used the carpark once.. Had a struggle getting out of their stupid little exit after paying a fee to walk around their boring mall. Now if we go in the car, we just park up the road and use the side or front entrance. Much faster. Not as safe as parking in the car park but then again Ive seen so many cars getting broken into in Mall carparks :D

I think the Avenue is going dowwwnnnnn once the new Central Mall opens.. Lets hope that one isn't going to be a failure just like this one.

They wouldn't dare! Still laughing at the Big C bike park which remains almost empty since charging started while the road outside is jam-packed! Seem to remember they had a 500BAHT after midnight charge at one time, don't know if that is still current - probably not as no-one parks there anyway!

As for car parking, most scratches and scrapes happen in the car parks, you're far better off parking on the road, if you can find a space in among the taxis. rental bikes and motorbike taxi stands, oh yes, and yellow/white painted bus stops for the non existent buses!! :o:D

They wouldn't dare! Still laughing at the Big C bike park which remains almost empty since charging started while the road outside is jam-packed! Seem to remember they had a 500BAHT after midnight charge at one time, don't know if that is still current - probably not as no-one parks there anyway!

As for car parking, most scratches and scrapes happen in the car parks, you're far better off parking on the road, if you can find a space in among the taxis. rental bikes and motorbike taxi stands, oh yes, and yellow/white painted bus stops for the non existent buses!! :o:D

Yes, its true.. Most places we just park on the road instead of paying to park in a carpark when we are shopping in their mall. (Big C)

If you use Big C SF Cinema, then you can get a stamp on your ticket and get free 4 hours.

Lets think ourselves lucky that Carrefour and Foodland don't charge..

the villa market is it's own worst enemy. i've tried shopping in there, some staff polite, others downright rude and surly...and it will fold up and go away in the next 6 months guaranteed.

My experience has been different...I have found all the staff to be very pleasant and helpful. Also, it seems to be a little more crowded now when I shop there than 6 months ago so my feeling is it is starting to find its place in the Pattaya shopping scene. It is convient and has a nice selection of products and it would be a loss if it closed. The main threat would be if there was a gourmet market at the new Central Mall...that would be a threat to their business.

Friendship charges you for doing a u-turn through their car park ! Bt10 or Bt20. Then, no matter how much you spend, you only get an hour shopping on your ticket or charges start to rack up.

Yes, but they POST THE CHARGES so it is your choice if you use the Car Park. It never takes me a hour to do my shopping there, and I always spend over 200 Baht so get the free parking allocation.

BTW, My complaint was about The Avenue management, Not Villa Supermarket, who are just tenants

Well i wont be going there again to eat, i had a turkey lunch 288 baht and it was awful,. :o .i will say though we were there 40 mins, had the ticket stamped and paid no fee to park,.

the villa market is it's own worst enemy. i've tried shopping in there, some staff polite, others downright rude and surly...and it will fold up and go away in the next 6 months guaranteed.

My experience has been different...I have found all the staff to be very pleasant and helpful. Also, it seems to be a little more crowded now when I shop there than 6 months ago so my feeling is it is starting to find its place in the Pattaya shopping scene. It is convient and has a nice selection of products and it would be a loss if it closed. The main threat would be if there was a gourmet market at the new Central Mall...that would be a threat to their business.

If there's a supermarket and gourmet market in the new Central anywhere as good as the one in Siam Paragon, my life will change here, as will my already-bulging waistline.

Tonight I used the Avenue Carpark on Second Road, arriving at 11:02 pm when the carpark was emptying with many clear spaces. I did some shopping at Villa Supermarket and then decided to take a Baht Bus into town.

So you've used it for free/cheap parking for 4 hours !

Seems fair that you should pay extra.

I have stopped shopping at Friendship because of this very thing. It leaves a very bad taste in the mouth.

I've lived here a long time but I really get tired of the nickel 'n diming that goes on.

Soon 7-11 will be charging for plastic straws!

I was asked to pay 5 baht extra for a fill-up of ice for my drink the other day.

It's not the money, it is the constant gimme gimme that gets up my nose.

I don't care whether the demand comes with a smile or not!

I have stopped shopping at Friendship because of this very thing. It leaves a very bad taste in the mouth.

I've lived here a long time but I really get tired of the nickel 'n diming that goes on.

I was asked to pay 5 baht extra for a fill-up of ice for my drink the other day.

and if you look at it with the shoe on the other foot you will see that they are sick of people taking taking taking .....

natural reaction really.

Why should you be allowed to do a free U turn theough their private property! ?

What really annoys me is Big C Pattaya Nua charging people who are shopping in their mall to park in their carpark. There doesn't seem to be (or I am unaware of) any of the shops in Big C giving stamps on parking tickets?

So no matter how much you spend in there, you still gotta pay to park in their car park..

So you've used it for free/cheap parking for 4 hours !

Seems fair that you should pay extra.

You have lost the point of the post. It is the HIDDEN CHARGE. Had it been on the sign, I would have accepted it and paid. But it was not shown.

Anyway, they got 40 Baht more by me paying, then to park at the end of Soi 15 Mercure which also would have saved me the 2 baht bus fares as well. Normally I use VC Hotel car park which is 40 Baht and on the edge of Walking Street area.

I was one of 3 cars in the carpark, so I deprived no-one of a space, as I would have down had it been daytime. In fact, I HELPED their income..

OK, if it about staffing, why not close the back entrance as they used to do. Or do as Central Centre / Big C*, and close the park altogether at midnight (*Except for late movie Cinema goers, who they let out) and let the few customers park on the street, as mention by Big C customers above.

What really annoys me is Big C Pattaya Nua charging people who are shopping in their mall to park in their carpark. There doesn't seem to be (or I am unaware of) any of the shops in Big C giving stamps on parking tickets?

So no matter how much you spend in there, you still gotta pay to park in their car park..

10 Baht for FOUR HOURS. That is cheaper than driving round the block several times looking for a parking space.

10 Baht for FOUR HOURS. That is cheaper than driving round the block several times looking for a parking space.

So?? Its not the PRICE of the carpark which is annoying, but the fact that you have to pay to park in their carpark to spend your money in their mall. And there is no stamp facility (that I know of) in any of the shops. No matter how much money you spend..

Friendship used to allow you more than an hour, but too many people were taking the piss.

Have you ever been there on a Tuesday or Friday? You can't get in the car park, as it is full of cars owned by people who go to the open air market. Then there are all those who park there and go to Tuk Com and other places in South Pattaya.

I don't blame Friendship at all on their charging policy, and am happy to pay if I stay more than the allowed hour, and I have always found the parking attendants professional, helpful and friendly.

As for the Avenue? What a dreadful place - the soon it implodes, the better.

So?? Its not the PRICE of the carpark which is annoying, but the fact that you have to pay to park in their carpark to spend your money in their mall. And there is no stamp facility (that I know of) in any of the shops. No matter how much money you spend..

VERY FAIR COMMENT - I do agree with you .... I also wonder how many 10 Bahts they need to pay back the cost of the Toll Booths, the computer equipment and the staffing. Payback must be in years.....

I've only parked there once and didn't pay as I shopped at the supermarket but I did note the late night charge which I thought was Bt300 but could well have been Bt500. Whatever it was, it was way OTT and a piss take. I was looking at off street options to the temple which charges Bt10 for a visit no matter how long !

I agree about the penny pinching. I'll happily pay the full price but it is the "gimme gimme" attitude which pisses me off as well. It is even more annoying when it is not an official charge but just someone trying to extract another few coins out of people for nothing or next to nothing.

I can remember parking there a few months back. I drov in off the road and recieved a ticket and when I drove around the corner and went up the ramp they took the ticket of me and when I got to the top of the ramp they presented a new ticket to me.

on leaving

they took the ticket off me as I left the ramp and of course when I went to drive out of the carpark and onto the road again they wanted a ticket that I did not have :D

I had no choice, I just drove off and left them staning there scratching there heads.

I know reading this it may sound confusing but you should of been there, now that was confusing. :o

So you spend your Bt200 and get your free parking, fair enough. So how much free parking should I get if I spend Bt10,000 or more and take 90 minutes ? I should be allowed to park for hours I think.