Electrical Sockets/receptacles

longball53098

Hey all,

I wanted to change out some 2 wire ungrounded sockets and run new wire and install 3 wire sockets. I have heard people say that Bticino is a good choice. This was my first experience with this brand of product. So far I'm not impressed.

I bought a box of 10 model M9025G from Global house along with the associated boxes and coverplates needed.

Went back to the site and proceeded to do the install of the sockets.

The install complete. All wiring and voltage checks done its time for the real test.

I reached for the first 3 prong plug I had to try the socket. I had great difficulty inserting the plug. After some manipulating the plug it finally inserted. I tried again on the same socket. Same issue. Moved to the others and found out of 5 duplex sockets at least 3 were very difficult to insert the plug. One was so bad I changed it out with another new one.

Since then I have done some looking at the sockets a little closer here at home under a magnifying glass. I took one apart to see what's up.

The sockets I bought are a version called Majic Advance line model M9025G. This is a duplex 250v 16A grounded socket. It appears in many of their brochures. It shows a "child proof" feature that says only an actual plug can be inserted. It is also called a "universal" socket.

From my investigation at home it appears that the child proofing feature is most to blame for the plugs not inserting easily. I tested various plugs both 2 and 3 prong. Of the remaining sockets I have (5) 3 were not easy to insert a plug. You have to jiggle and play around to get the plug in.

After disassembly I can see the child proof device is a plastic module that is spring loaded and should open when any proper plug is pushed into the socket but if only one side is pushed such as if a kid were to try to push a screwdriver blade into the socket the device is designed to essentially lock the socket preventing the device from opening. A proper plug will push equally on both sides of the device allowing the sliding internal mechanism to open and allow the plug into the socket.

It would seem this device is not foolproof enough and does not open every time a plug is push in. At least on the ones I bought.

So with all of this said and done. I will be building a house soon and buying numerous sockets.

Does anyone out there, especially Crossy or Elkangrito have any input into what is the best choice for sockets?

All input to this question is valuable

Thanks

Hi

i work in a thailand based office (own by Germany) that sell electrical switches. quality and very beautiful. however, price is higher also.. :)

world wide web jung.de or www.jungasia.com

avaiable in Thailand.

let me know if you need any information or help or advise in electrical. i work in this field for about ten years already..

lastly, i don't own this company or do i have any commission.

oh i from Singapore. boss send me here to work.

good luck.

Regards

Derrick Chee

089 7888 660

Email removed per forum rules (spam prevention), I'll let you keep the URLs as it's not your site :D

When I finally build I will more than likely import plugs and power outlets from Aust. - these have very postive plug /socket engagement and even at 30 -40 years old can still be fully functional, plus no little fingers can reach the contacts and only very narrow impliments can gain access to the internals, - even some test screw-drivers can't fit , makes then very safe round kids (and some adults)

A thought, can you buy re-wireable plugs in Oz?? (I have a feeling you cannot). Otherwise you may have issues actually plugging anything in :D

Ideally you should use outlets to TIS166-2549 (2006) the new Thai standard, but I've never seen an outlet of this style on sale :)

IF I was to use a 'foreign' outlet I would be tempted to go with the Euro style 'Schuko', shuttered and very positive in action. The regular round pin plugs also fit so only need adaptors for any appliances with flat pin plugs. Additionally both plugs and outlets are available in Thailand. UK BS1363 would come a close second, but you've got to go to Malaysia to get the plugs and sockets.

Whatever you do, I don't think you'll be able to go all 'foreign', using adaptors for visitors appliances is likely more of a hazard than having the local outlets.

Finally, ALL outlets need to be protected by an ELCB / GFI / RCD / RCCB / Saf-T-Cut device.

EDIT I've just checked our "Haco" brand outlets, local 2 and 3 pin outlets as well as the Schuko ones are shuttered and won't open if a single pin (such as a screwdriver) is inserted, pretty darn safe :D

What does an outlet to TIS166-2549 look like (can't seem to find a photo anywhere)? My outlets look like the standard 3-pin that everyone is talking about that can take 3-pin, 2-pin round or 2-pin flat.

They do accept the nice chunkier thai plugs that can now be bought in Home Pro though. They have really nice solid feel to it when they are inserted that you know isn't easily going to drop out.

Tnx. M.

What does an outlet to TIS166-2549 look like (can't seem to find a photo anywhere)? My outlets look like the standard 3-pin that everyone is talking about that can take 3-pin, 2-pin round or 2-pin flat.

The plugs look like this :-

TIS166-2549.jpg

I've never seen a dedicated outlet for these, they fit in the grounded outlets that take round or flat pins.

The Thai standard is here http://www.tisi.go.th/notices/pdf/TIS166-2549.pdf (in Thai of course) the drawings don't really give an impression of what a dedicated outlet would look like :)

On a related topic. A couple of plugs I picked up recently.

The LeGrand plug is not cheap at 120 baht each but for some of us safety trumps cost. I am kee neow believe me but I tired of roasting plugs on my toaster oven.

The other one is a cheap plug I picked up at the mall. It's a clone of the new "thai standard" which I have yet to see implemented & HAVE NEVER SEEN THESE NEW "THAI STANDARD" plugs for sale. This one is 2 pin - no ground & no polarity.

Morons.

Plugs_Feb_26_2009_s.jpg

HACO 3-pin plugs selling at Home Pro at Bt55 each. 16A 250V with light indicator when plugged into live socket.

post-77843-1248423089_thumb.jpg

post-77843-1248423129_thumb.jpg

post-77843-1248423147_thumb.jpg

Those Haco plugs are pretty nice, compact and side entry so the cable hangs parallel to the wall.

Shame the cable is at the top when I plug them in to my outlets :) Time to turn the outlets over.

Those Haco plugs are pretty nice, compact and side entry so the cable hangs parallel to the wall.

Shame the cable is at the top when I plug them in to my outlets :) Time to turn the outlets over.

The cable is at the top probably because most wall sockets are installed 30cm above the floor, and electrical equipment are placed higher.

• 4 months later...
Good point, all my outlets are horizontal with live at the top (ground right) wheras it would be more sensible to have neutral at the top (ground left) so your knife would only hit neutral and ground.

When I build my house I think I'll install mine vertically, just to be different.

Have you ever tried plugging in an adaptor/transformer type affair into one that is placed horizontally? They will not stay plugged in, due to gravity. By the way, why hasn't the Law of Gravity ever been repealed? Rik