Thai Political Parties Dissolved

PoorSucker

Thai protesters to leave Bangkok airport

From correspondents in Bangkok

December 02, 2008 08:20pm

ANTI-GOVERNMENT demonstrators have agreed to allow flights to resume from Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi international airport after a week-long blockade, a protest leader said.

"As of this moment the PAD (People's Alliance for Democracy) has allowed flights to take off and land immediately, both passenger and cargo flights," senior alliance member Somkiat Pongpaiboon said.

The PAD occupied Suvarnabhumi and the smaller Don Mueang domestic airport last week, stranding 350,000 passengers and causing massive damage to the Thai economy.

Thailand's airport authority confirmed there was an agreement with protesters, saying flights may be able to resume if there are no "technical problems".

"We have reached an agreement with PAD to start clearing protesters from the passenger zone to reopen Suvarnabhumi Airport," said Vudhihaandhu Vichairatama, chairman of the board of Airports of Thailand.

"But how soon depends on technical issues. If there is no technical problem the first flights would resume within 24 hours."\

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24741988-23109,00.html

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ANTI-GOVERNMENT demonstrators have agreed to allow flights to resume from Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi international airport after a week-long blockade, a protest leader said.

"As of this moment the PAD (People's Alliance for Democracy) has allowed flights to take off and land immediately, both passenger and cargo flights," senior alliance member Somkiat Pongpaiboon said.

The PAD occupied Suvarnabhumi and the smaller Don Mueang domestic airport last week, stranding 350,000 passengers and causing massive damage to the Thai economy.

Thailand's airport authority confirmed there was an agreement with protesters, saying flights may be able to resume if there are no "technical problems".

"We have reached an agreement with PAD to start clearing protesters from the passenger zone to reopen Suvarnabhumi Airport," said Vudhihaandhu Vichairatama, chairman of the board of Airports of Thailand.

"But how soon depends on technical issues. If there is no technical problem the first flights would resume within 24 hours."\

Interesting, because PAD's own thailandoutlook.tv site still says this:

The People's Alliance for Democracy has cheered and clapped wildly after the Constitution Court had ruled this morning to disband the People Power party. The leaders are scheduled to meet tonight to discuss the PAD's next move.

The People's Alliance for Democracy protesters are to remain at Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi airports even after the court has ruled to disband the People Power party. The PAD hosts have told the protesters that their fight isn't over even after the brief victory this morning.

The next step is for the MPs to convene to nominate a new premier. With most People Power party MPs escaping the political ban, they will most likely vote for another People Power party sponsored candidate. Some of the names which could be nominated to replace former PM Somchai Wongsawat are Chalerm Yoobamrung and Mingkwan Saengsuwan.

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/toc/ViewData...?DataID=1010967

Good news if true.

Honestly, I think the reds murderous tactics and threats are more terroristic than the yellows. I don't like either side, but I think throwing out incendiary labels is just throwing more fuel on the fire.

http://www.upiasia.com/Politics/2008/07/25...hai_style/3854/

In as much as nobody has been charged with any of these bombings; the police were not allowed to enter the gov't building compound to investigate the bomb site, and the PAD has not stuck to anything that they have said they would do yet. I think the charge of that the "Red" shirts are responsible is a little premature. I would not put it past PAD to inflict this on themselves for tha sake of instigating a coupe.

However we do know that the PAD, has caused millions of dollars in damage to the Government House, the Airports, the Economy and are know to carry guns (including Uzi's, last weeks arrests) and bombs. Let's wait and see who is actually prosecuted for these blatant and provable crimes.

IMHO

December 02, 2008 08:20pm???

Now is 4.59pm...they see in the future?

Edited by oceano

great so now we swap yellow terrorists for red terrorists ?

Indeed, and it will be interesting to see if those posters calling for PADs blood will continue with their hard line towards the Red...as they all clame to not the pro-PPP.

(Besides what, 2 users that are madly in-love with Thaksin. Even thought he...ehh...has nothing to do with PPP...or so they say...it all gets very confusing when they try to justify their irrational postings. :o )

If the yellows move out of the airport and reds move in, You will hear me calling for the police or army to go in and end the occupation. Red, Yellow, White, Black, Brown, Purple, Pink.... Does not matter the color of the shirt it matters their actions.

What will be interesting is if YOU will say the reds taking over the airport is ok in light of them trying to accomplish something as you have for the yellow shirt??? Hopefully we don't find out, as I would hate to see the airport occupation continue

But there you make a logical fallacy my friend, for I have never defended the occupation of the airports. But I have neither called for blood, neither yellow nor red. Unlike so many PAD-haters here (but they are not Thaksin/PPP-supporters they say), hence the interest what they say when the reds do anything, apart from always saying 'yellows deserve it' when yellows get killed...

So far the red team is playing by the rules. You can not say that about the yellow team.

The estimated cost for their actions in the last week is now getting close to 100 billion US dollars (3,500,000,000,000 Thai Baht). In another topic someone told 50 million $US, we proved that this was an ridiculous amount, but you even claim its already 100 billion $US. please don't makee a fool of yourself.

For this money you could build 25 new Suvarnabhumi airports. You could buy back the part of Shin Corporation that Thaksin sold to Singapore 100 times. You could build countless new skytrain and subway lines...

Now is 4.59...the see in the future?

Australia time. Australia source

This article in BKK Post today doesn't make it look like passenger flights will be resuming straight away, even if PAD do leave tonight:

Airports cannot be reopened quickly

Must pass checks, get standards certification

There will be inevitable delays in bringing Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports back into operation when the anti-government demonstrators eventually disperse.

Anemptyairliner takes off from Suvarnabhumi airport after the People’s Alliance for Democracy agreed to let all 88 stranded planes fly out. SOMCHAI POOMLARD

Neither the government nor officials of Airports of Thailand (AoT) really know how badly the airports have been affected by the occupation by thousands of People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) supporters.

"We cannot say anything for now because we have no idea how much damage has been done," AoT acting president Serirat Pasutanond said yesterday.

However, it was unlikely the process would be quick, because staff would have to go through complicated and stringent checks, make repairs if needed and get re-certification, he said.

"Even the complex IT systems at the two airports will have to be rebooted and calibrated, just like when you start-up a new airport," he said.

Ground handling equipment and other support facilities which were moved out from Suvarnabhumi to U-tapao airport would also have to be moved back to Suvarnabhumi.

"It could take days, weeks or even months, only God knows how long," a frustrated Mr Serirat said.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/021208_News/02Dec2008_news03.php

maybe cause they are in australia? :o

Big surprise, the P.A.D. won't be leaving! :o

Ever wondered why most civilized countries don't negotiate with terrorists?

Now you get your answer.

PAD are not terrorists. Save that word for real terrorists such as in Mumbai.

Redshirts murdering people with bombs, what would you call them?

There was no negotiation with the courts. The courts ruled how they were going to rule. What was negotiated exactly?

The PAD have not achieved what they want. The Thaksin forces are just going to rebrand and install another Thaksin puppet/relative.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/terrorist

they fit the definition

Let's say a Muslim group peacefully took over the international airport in Mumbay tomorrow. To leave the airport, they demand that the Indian government step down and hold new elections. In these elections, only muslims can vote, as the judgement of hindus can not be trusted. They are not hurting anybody, but if someone attacks them they will fight to death.

What would you call this? A legitimate protest, terrorism, or something else?

Let's say my cat was a cow, than I could milk her in front the television set.

The PAD are domestic terrorists. Even though they are not a political party, they are becoming a proxy government themselves. How come airplanes now need approval of the PAD to leave the airport? How come the PAD needs to approve the next government? This is nothing short of a terrorist organization.

Before everybody said taksin was a criminal.

When someone try to send him and him relative out the politics you said are terrorist.

So what you want?

When they talk and said we dont want criminal(who is not a criminal?) nobody listen them.

So after 6 month of talk for nothings they do the only thing that hurt the power and the big rich people: take the airport.

They wrong? Are you sure?

Pls think whit a thai mind not farang mind, and for all that talk about europe and usa...i can find 1000s acts from people tired about politicians that go on the road and make milions of dollar of damage for notings(my country first).

ciao

Ciao, Since I was not born and raised in Thailand I cannot think with a Thai mind, but many Thai's don't agree with the airport taking.

And since you can find 1,000's of acts that caused millions of dollars of damage for nothings in US and Europe, please show me 10 in the US that compare to the airport taking...

I can show you fairly peaceful protests that gave blacks equal rights that did not take down the US economy while doing so. (that came later with stupid home buyers)

Sorry for my english...

The usa are not born whit civil war?

How many civil war they do in last past 200 yr?

How many milion of people die in usa for the civil war?

How many milions of dollars they lose when tha black people fight...i remenber something like Martin lutherking and klu klux clan...

Ok is the past not 2008 but dont forget that, for some things here they are same europe 50 yrs ago.

Your English is allot better than my Thai!

We only had one civil war. The 60's we had the black rights issues, and they were murdered and were treated horribly, but THEY the black protestors did not overtake national interests, and they won their protest and the rights for them and their children.

The point is that in my mind I cannot think of anything in USA as you stated that compares to the PAD overtaking the airport.

My Opinion:

Was Thaksin bad? Yes

Did Thaksin break laws? Yes

Did his party buy votes? Yes I think all did

Did those things give PAD the right to take over the government house, the Phuket Airport, The Krabi airport, the rail ways, the port, and most recently the two airports in Bangkok? NO

lol. I imagine it must be later in Australia...time zones are strange like that...

maybe cause they are in australia? :o

Think I will wait 24-48hrs before I start doing the happy dance but still can't help having the 'ol Ren & Stimpy song go through my head...."Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy..." :D

The PAD are domestic terrorists. Even though they are not a political party, they are becoming a proxy government themselves. How come airplanes now need approval of the PAD to leave the airport? How come the PAD needs to approve the next government? This is nothing short of a terrorist organization.

When someone try to send him and him relative out the politics you said are terrorist.

So what you want?

When they talk and said we dont want criminal(who is not a criminal?) nobody listen them.

So after 6 month of talk for nothings they do the only thing that hurt the power and the big rich people: take the airport.

Pls think whit a thai mind not farang mind, and for all that talk about europe and usa...i can find 1000s acts from people tired about politicians that go on the road and make milions of dollar of damage for notings(my country first).

ciao

Ciao, Since I was not born and raised in Thailand I cannot think with a Thai mind, but many Thai's don't agree with the airport taking.

And since you can find 1,000's of acts that caused millions of dollars of damage for nothings in US and Europe, please show me 10 in the US that compare to the airport taking... We can't, because most of US terrorist actions are made by the US government outside the country who caused trillions US$ and many thousands human lifes. . If you like I can give you the list. BTW this is a topic about Thailand.

I can show you fairly peaceful protests that gave blacks equal rights that did not take down the US economy while doing so.

great so now we swap yellow terrorists for red terrorists ?

Indeed, and it will be interesting to see if those posters calling for PADs blood will continue with their hard line towards the Red...as they all clame to not the pro-PPP.

(Besides what, 2 users that are madly in-love with Thaksin. Even thought he...ehh...has nothing to do with PPP...or so they say...it all gets very confusing when they try to justify their irrational postings. :o )

If the yellows move out of the airport and reds move in, You will hear me calling for the police or army to go in and end the occupation. Red, Yellow, White, Black, Brown, Purple, Pink.... Does not matter the color of the shirt it matters their actions.

What will be interesting is if YOU will say the reds taking over the airport is ok in light of them trying to accomplish something as you have for the yellow shirt??? Hopefully we don't find out, as I would hate to see the airport occupation continue

But there you make a logical fallacy my friend, for I have never defended the occupation of the airports. But I have neither called for blood, neither yellow nor red. Unlike so many PAD-haters here (but they are not Thaksin/PPP-supporters they say), hence the interest what they say when the reds do anything, apart from always saying 'yellows deserve it' when yellows get killed...

So far the red team is playing by the rules. You can not say that about the yellow team.

The estimated cost for their actions in the last week is now getting close to 100 billion US dollars (3,500,000,000,000 Thai Baht).

For this money you could build 25 new Suvarnabhumi airports. You could buy back the part of Shin Corporation that Thaksin sold to Singapore 100 times. You could build countless new skytrain and subway lines...

Hi chrislarsson,

Interesting amount you come too. I am not saying it's wrong but do you have a link or something to back up the 100 billion US?

Regards,

LiveSteam

You are right...it's not correct. It should be 10 billion dollars. My apologies.

It's based on that GDP growth goes down from 4.5% to 4% this year, and from 4% to 1% next year.

I never said Thaksin wasn't a criminal. But he's not the only criminal. I said many times, Thailand never had a choice of Democracy, but only a choice between one corrupt leader or the other.

That true not only in Thailand but in most other Democratic countries too :o

But there you make a logical fallacy my friend, for I have never defended the occupation of the airports...
... No-one was stopped from leaving the country. It was airplanes that was canceled by the airlines. The PAD didn't stop them...

Ah! It is so clear now. The airport workers ran home and left the airport deserted because those nasty foreign airlines cancelled their flights.

Fair enough, nothing to do with the PAD storming the airport then.

This is just round 2 of the fight.

Funny that the elite think this will work.

The elite won round 2 using its own hand picked court again. Maybe you do not remember but this court was picked out by the last Coup government. HAAA HAAA

Problem is that it must again have a fair election and then the same people will elect their favorites again.

If it does not hold elections it will face world trade sanctions from most modern nations.

if it does hold elections, it will lose again.

Then we have the possibility of a split in the military.

Chaos.

Meltdown to continue

AFP are reporting:

"As of this moment the PAD has allowed flights to take off and land immediately, both passenger and cargo flights," senior PAD member Somkiat Pongpaiboon told reporters at the airport.

Vudhihaandhu Vichairatama, chairman of the board of Airports of Thailand, said flights may be able to resume within 24 hours if there were no "technical problems".

"They're going to leave now," he told AFP-TV.

All equipment at the airport would have to be checked over before full airport operations could resume, he said.

http://www.france24.com/en/20081202-Somcha...itutional-court

AsiaOne as well:

http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews...202-104997.html

Thailand's SET Index Falls After Court Decision Ousts Premier

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...amp;refer=asia#By Saeromi Shin and Liza Lin Dec. 2 (Bloomberg) -- Thailand's main stock index fell, erasing earlier gains, after the country's Constitutional Court dissolved the ruling People Power Party, forcing Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat to step down.

The SET Index fell 4.39, or 1.1 percent, to 386.53 at 3:08 p.m. in Bangkok, headed for its lowest close in more than a week. Advanced Info Services Pcl and Siam Commercial Bank Pcl led the decline. The index rose as much as 0.8 percent before the court ruling.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=asia

better you look straight to the SET online

http://marketdata.set.or.th/mkt/sectoriali...&country=US

But the Thai baht is still stronger towards the EURO

http://www.scb.co.th/exchange/bk-pvsexchange.htm

So what you want?

ciao

And since you can find 1,000's of acts that caused millions of dollars of damage for nothings in US and Europe, please show me 10 in the US that compare to the airport taking... We can't, because most of US terrorist actions are made by the US government outside the country who caused trillions US$ and many thousands human lifes. . If you like I can give you the list. BTW this is a topic about Thailand.

I can show you fairly peaceful protests that gave blacks equal rights that did not take down the US economy while doing so.

Give me a break, the OP stated he could name examples of the same happing in europe and US, so I asked for said examples.

And your example is US military actions against other countries, not the same... so again this is all off topic, but even when off topic you can't stick to the point instead when the off topic point gets called out, you try to blurr it.

And why are you even commenting you don't even live in thailand.

Suvarnabhumi to welcome incoming flights

Bangkok Post http://www.bangkokpost.com/021208_News/02D..._breaking05.php

The People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) on Tuesday accepted the Airports of Thailand (AOT)’s demand to allow incoming flights to use Suvarnabhumi airport after the Constitution Court dissolved the People Power, Chart Thai and Matchimathipataya parties on charges of electoral fraud.

The first incoming flight to the international airport is expected to be within 24 hours.

The estimated cost for their actions in the last week is now getting close to 100 billion US dollars (3,500,000,000,000 Thai Baht).

Where do people keep getting these ridiculous numbers from ? Oh....nevermind.......I think I can tell by the smell. :o

I just did the research on another thread and guess what. Thailand's total Gross Domestic Product for all of 2007 (that is the entire year) was only

$245,585,500,000 USD. (That is the average from the 4 different websites I culled for factual information)

Are you trying to tell us that in one week, PAD has cost the country 40.7% of it's entire GDP for all of last year ? :D

Wow. 100 billion in one week would equal about 5.2 trillion over a year, which would have been an increase of 2,100% over the previous years GDP !!! :D

dam_n those PAD ! 5.2 trillion would have ranked Thailand #2 in the world (behind the US) for GDP !! :D

Ho can it be any worse than now ?

I hope you will never find out how much worse its possible to get. You're living in one of the most civilized countries in the world. You have relative freedom of speech and press. You have a functioning educational system and health care system that include mostly everyone and all layers of society. You have a relative uniform and strong sense of nationalism. You have water and electricity. If you want to know how much worse its possible to get, hope for your 10 years of military rule.

:o Well put, "xminator"! Thailand is MORE civilized than most Western countries, IMHO, especially the 'Homeland Securitized' U.S.A. I applaud the restraint of the police (mostly) and the military of Thailand in dealing with a peaceful protest of unarmed citizens with legitimate grievances against the government. BushCo would have sent in the jack-booted riot police, beaten them, handcuffed them, hauled them off to unannounce confinement areas without any specific charges, access to lawyers or bail, and granted no court appearance for as long as it could be kept quiet from the "free" press or general populace.

I see a lot of the visiting fascists are taking this "kinder, gentler" approach as a personal slap in the face. Hope it stings!

Congratulations, Thailand. This is a victory for all of you! :D