Thai Political Parties Dissolved

PoorSucker

It seems to me that the 30-day stamps in passports have now been automatically converted into retirement visas. No overstay as long as the airport is closed and you have a ticket showing you were supposed to fly out of that airport. And some people are getting room and board for free too.

I believe the next thing you need to get out of TAT is free medical care.

:o

kenk3z

They've beaten you to it mate....

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/12/02...es_30090021.php

Stranded foreigners can receive free medical treatment

Stranded foreign tourists or businessmen can receive free medical treatment at either state or private hospitals in Thailand, according to the Public Health Ministry.

"We will pay for that," the ministry's secretary general Dr Prat Boonyawongvirot said Monday.

According to him, if the foreign tourists and businessmen fall ill while waiting for a flight back home, they are entitled to free medical treatment.

"We are very concerned about the stranded visitors," Prat said.

The Nation

(Better than a 30THB scheme????)

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

According to TNN seems like the vast majority of the PAD will be vacating Suvarnabhumi at 10am tomorrow.

NBT reporting the same. So... let me get this straight. What happened today was already planed for a while correct? And it was expected that they would disolve the party this whole time correct? So, not that I'm sad the protestors are leaving, but what exactly did they accomplish by creating all the problems? I mean, was the verdict giong to go a different way had they not taken over Suvarnabhumi? Was it because of the takeover that they are guilty and now forced out of office?

Just seems like a waste if its like I'm understanding and PPP was giong to be disolved anyway. i.e. alot of people suffered for nothing. Someone correct me if I understand things incorrectly.

-Jim

Good to see that, having started yesterday dismantling at Government House, the PAD are now pulling out of the airports at last, and things will be getting back to normal, whatever that is !

What would have happened, if the PAD had not done this ?

Last Monday the Parliament would have passed ammendments to the Constitution, such as it is, which would have made the vote-buying & corruption legal, resulting in the court not dissolving the PPP today. So the PAD-actions, agree with them or not as you might, did prevent a government white-wash !

Remember the good old days, when Thaksin would change a law, to his own benefit just a few days later ? The PAD do !

Who are the members of the Constitution Court and how are they appointed? It seems to me that every decision they have made in recent months has been against the interests of the PPP and in support of the interests of the PAD. Could there be some monkey business going on here?

I would say the opposite.

I would say that the courts have recently been doing what they should have been doing since the beginning. Their job.

Whereas before they seemed to be either bribeable or easy to intimidate, now they seem to feel they have the backing (and protection) to do their job properly.

Thaksin found that out the hard way, when his wife was convicted, and his 2 million baht bribe was turned down (and his lawyers thrown in jail). It was the shock of finding out that his money and power didn't have any influence at the court any more that caused him to seek a hasty escape.

Conveniently, he was able to get his passport back :o and get out of the country before he was found guilty in his own case (one of many), and sent to prison.

Remember when he was in power, he used the courts as his own personal enforcement agency. Filing lawsuits and criminal charges against almost anyone that disagreed with him. Back then he loved the courts, because he could control them and make them do his bidding (more or less).

When they (the courts) finally had the opportunity to think for themselves, suddenly Mr Thaksin wasn't so "golden". Suddenly his past started catching up to him.

Got to remember, he was found guilty in one case so far. Plenty more cases pending, but by law, he has to appear (at least once). He lands in Thailand and wham ! Into cuffs he goes.

No bail this time. And as soon as they can, they'll have him in chains at court to start facing some of those other charges. Once he's been arraigned on those other charges, it wouldn't really matter if he got out on bail, because the cases could proceed without him.

If he fled the country again, they could continue and try him in absentia on all the cases they had arraigned him for.

If they found him guilty on some of those other charges, he'd never be able to return. Multiple charges. Multiple prison terms. No hope of ever getting a pardon or amnesty.

I just hope the courts can maintain the sense of integrity they've been showing recently.

My comments don't hurt anyone. But PAD's actions in the past 7 days have ruined Thailand's economy and image...

The troubling thing is that your comments are shortsighted and improvident. You're unable or unwilling to see the real source behind the current events.

At the least, you should say, PAD's re-actions.

Actually we should watch for the Thaksin's next move - he seems to have lost big time here.

Now there's absolutely nothing to stop civil suit in which ALL his money could be confiscated. Even if he wins the new elections - it will be too late.

My comments don't hurt anyone. But PAD's actions in the past 7 days have ruined Thailand's economy and image...

The troubling thing is that your comments are shortsighted and improvident. You're unable or unwilling to see the real source behind the current events.

How about "the fools who took over the airport"... :o

To lighten the mood a little, doesn't Rainman ( or at least his avatar ), look like the lead singer of Frankie Goes To Hollywood ? So, if his posts get a little touchy, just say "Relax!"

By the way, Somchai et al "banned" for 5 years only to keep their seats as long as they rename their party... how crass !

So, PAD are happy he's out but all he needs do is rename his party, get voted in by either fair means or foul and we're off again... baffling....

At the least, you should say, PAD's re-actions.

Agreed. A dramatic one-eyed view with emotive words:-

"ruined Thailand's economy.."

"damaged" would have been a reasonable assertion, "ruined" is fallacious.

Sorry for a daft post but what is everyone celebrating? Its my understanding that:

1) PPP will re-group and be called Puea Thai.

2) A new prime minister from the Puea Thai to be announced by the 8th December. He/ She will be proxy to Thaksin.

3) 6 people murdered and no one to take responsibility.

4) PAD scott free for tacking over an international airport, government house et al.

5) Court seems biased in enforcing some decisions and not others.

6) Military did nothing under emergency decree.

7) Police did nothing under emergency decree.

8) Country lost billions in revenue

9) Possibility of more conflicts higher now than they were yesterday.

10) If number 2 above is correct, we will have situations 3 to 9 back merrily all over again.

So should we be celebrating or did I miss something?

To lighten the mood a little, doesn't Rainman ( or at least his avatar ), look like the lead singer of Frankie Goes To Hollywood ? So, if his posts get a little touchy, just say "Relax!"

:o Yes, he does look like Holly Johnson - spitting image.

As one who has recently had a go at some of his posts I must say I take my hat off to anyone who is prepared to post their own photo.

By the way, Somchai et al "banned" for 5 years only to keep their seats as long as they rename their party... how crass !

I think you missed something there.

The people who got banned can not keep their seats. The ones who did not get banned have to switch to a new party in order to keep their seats.

They expected this and already had a "shadow" party formed (as there are laws about having to have a party formed and registered for a certain period before an election, in order for that party to be eligible to run in the election).

great so now we swap yellow terrorists for red terrorists ?

Indeed, and it will be interesting to see if those posters calling for PADs blood will continue with their hard line towards the Red...as they all clame to not the pro-PPP.

(Besides what, 2 users that are madly in-love with Thaksin. Even thought he...ehh...has nothing to do with PPP...or so they say...it all gets very confusing when they try to justify their irrational postings. :o )

From my view it dosen't matter who loves who, everyone is wrong in this mess. A government that has no clue what to do to be a Goverment. Protesters, not really they are terrorist. Thailand is not anywhere I want to be anytime soon, I know no one will miss me. Seems like a good time for the Muslims to do some damage somewhere.

I think you missed something there.

The people who got banned can not keep their seats. The ones who did not get banned have to switch to a new party in order to keep their seats.

They expected this and already had a "shadow" party formed (as there are laws about having to have a party formed and registered for a certain period before an election, in order for that party to be eligible to run in the election).

I see.. but would I be right in assuming that it leads to the same thing. i.e same people / group / puppets back in power ?

Got to remember, he was found guilty in one case so far. Plenty more cases pending, but by law, he has to appear (at least once).

This is very important, because it answers the common complaint, that he was only found guilty once !

Had Thaksin not been delaying his several other court cases, by refusing to return voluntarily to Thailand, these other cases would also have progressed to the judgement-stage, presumably to his expected detriment, otherwise why would he have been fighting so hard to avoid or delay them ?

Hardly the actions of someone who expects to be found Not Guilty, and he can hardly complain that the courts were biased, when his own brother-in-law was PM at the time ! :o

I see.. but would I be right in assuming that it leads to the same thing. i.e same people / group / puppets back in power ?

Sadly, I think so. One just has to look at how many banned TRT party members are still involved in the PPP party affairs. They don't even try to hide it.

About the only thing that this will do, is add to SriRacha John's long list of banned politicians !

hey rainman You are really standing in the rain with your comments

My comments don't hurt anyone. But PAD's actions in the past 7 days have ruined Thailand's economy and image. Who's really standing in the rain? The millions of Thai people who have already or will lose their jobs.

Releasing the airports that were never theirs does not justify PAD's actions.

Millions of Thais will lose their jobs because of the closure of the airports for a week?

My comments don't hurt anyone. But PAD's actions in the past 7 days have ruined Thailand's economy and image. Who's really standing in the rain? The millions of Thai people who have already or will lose their jobs.

Millions of Thais will lose their jobs because of the closure of the airports for a week?

Of course, Rainman knows all, just accept it and move on

Edited by Onyxia

Within a few hours after the Constitution Court dissolved People Power Party, People's Alliance for Democracy, which had led seizures of the Government House and two Bangkok airports, declared an end to their demonstrations.

"We have won a victory and achieved our aims," media mogul and PAD founder Sondhi Limthongkul said, reading a statement to reporters.

"All protests will stop as of December 3 at 10am. We have gained our victory already. If there is something wrong, we will mobilize people and stage another protest," Sondhi told the cheering crowds.

Other PAD's co-leaders said they decided to end the protests because they won over what they called Thaksin's nominees.

of course they've Got a real party go attend on 5th !...... I just won a fiver off my wife :o

Question is why should anyone follow the judgement at court today. After all the last few rulings about the Demos being illegal etc etc was totally ignored

Anyone who is saying the rule of law will prevail here has a screw loose. Nothing will change in Thailand as laws are only followed if it is considered convenient and acceptable by certain people. This farce has shown the world how unstable and immature the country realy is politically and lawfully. None can be trusted nor justice be relied on, either to be respected or enforced.

I have always been cautious of investment in Thailand but this confirms it. I am sure many others have scratched thailand off the list of options.

May be in 10 years or so it will be worth re-assessing or mabe not.

Of course, Rainman knows all, just accept it and move on

Millions of Thais would lost their jobs just as Rainman mentioned. Whether he is 20,30 or 50 years of age. Does it really matter? The fact that rainman expresses his opinions in a realistic manner does not make him a kid!

A week's action can last for years. Didn't September 11 last for years and years? How many trillion of dollars were lost because of one hour's worth of airplane flying? Come on wake up!

I'd ignore the courts they simply are not impartial. Come on reds don't accept the BS. Dems should have been tossed too.

This again prevents nothing - same reincarnation party will result and we will see same shi*e again in a year or so. Anyone believe any different???

A week's action can last for years. Didn't September 11 last for years and years? How many trillion of dollars were lost because of one hour's worth of airplane flying? Come on wake up!

<deleted> ! Comparisons with 911 ?????

Sadly, I think so. One just has to look at how many banned TRT party members are still involved in the PPP party affairs. They don't even try to hide it.

I'd ignore the courts they simply are not impartial. Come on reds don't accept the BS. Dems should have been tossed too.

This again prevents nothing - same reincarnation party will result and we will see same shi*e again in a year or so. Anyone believe any different???

I agree with both above posts. TRT / PPP / Peua Thai party ilk will find ways to control Thai politics - either directly or indirectly for the foreseeable future. It sure doesn't hurt to have fat wallets funding things.

The PAD are domestic terrorists. Even though they are not a political party, they are becoming a proxy government themselves. How come airplanes now need approval of the PAD to leave the airport? How come the PAD needs to approve the next government? This is nothing short of a terrorist organization.

Before everybody said taksin was a criminal.

When someone try to send him and him relative out the politics you said are terrorist.

So what you want?

When they talk and said we dont want criminal(who is not a criminal?) nobody listen them.

So after 6 month of talk for nothings they do the only thing that hurt the power and the big rich people: take the airport.

They wrong? Are you sure?

Pls think whit a thai mind not farang mind, and for all that talk about europe and usa...i can find 1000s acts from people tired about politicians that go on the road and make milions of dollar of damage for notings(my country first).

ciao

Ciao, Since I was not born and raised in Thailand I cannot think with a Thai mind, but many Thai's don't agree with the airport taking.

And since you can find 1,000's of acts that caused millions of dollars of damage for nothings in US and Europe, please show me 10 in the US that compare to the airport taking... We can't, because most of US terrorist actions are made by the US government outside the country who caused trillions US$ and many thousands human lifes. . If you like I can give you the list. BTW this is a topic about Thailand.

I can show you fairly peaceful protests that gave blacks equal rights that did not take down the US economy while doing so.

Give me a break, the OP stated he could name examples of the same happing in europe and US, so I asked for said examples.

And your example is US military actions against other countries, not the same... so again this is all off topic, but even when off topic you can't stick to the point instead when the off topic point gets called out, you try to blurr it.

And why are you even commenting you don't even live in thailand. You are a real democrat.

btw has Thaksin a convicted criminal, the right to stir up the country from abroad.

I think now we see the true face of the PAD. They clearly stated they would immediately leave the airport if the PPP and its allies were disbanded. Sondhi and Chamlong said that themselves on several occasions. This happened and they're not leaving.

Why don't you just admit your were wrong about the PPP being democratically elected..

Instead you attack the PAD to the very end, if you read the news you would already know they're leaving..

The core leaders of the PAD held a press conference this evening stating that since Somchai Wongsawat is now dismissed from the premier post, the PAD has achieved its rally goal. Therefore, the protesters will disperse peacefully from its rally sites at Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi Airports tomorrow morning at 10 am.

A ceremony to mourn the deaths of protesters will be held before the rally disperses.

There, I hope that answers your question. Oh wait, you didn't ask a question you accuse just like you have been doing from the very beginning and just like every single time, you've been wrong.

You and wrecker continue to attack and attack, even if it makes no sense at all.

Ed: spelling

Edited by hungryhippo

Question is why should anyone follow the judgement at court today. After all the last few rulings about the Demos being illegal etc etc was totally ignored

Because PPP have nothing to lose from following them. While PAD is celebrating like they won, the political reality is that the last legal card was played against the former PPP today. Now its named PTP, and they actually have a real chance of gaining the 241 seats they need to dominate the Parliament once the by-elections are held.

The ruling against the PAD holding Suvarnabhumi was one that could be appealed. The ruling on PPP can not. Its also a diffrent court. Some say PPP will try to discredit judges and that way cancel the verdict, but I doubt it. PTP have nothing to gain from such actions.

Of course the court where not impartial. Still it wasnt enough to change anything. Somchai where expendalbe, and been so from he accepted office, and he knew it. He also think about more then tomorrow. His done a lot of powerfull people a favour, and its the people that most likely will be in power in 5 years. Let PAD celebrate, the people behind PPP is the winners and they know it.