Flights To Resume At Suvarnabhumi

McLovin

just saw on BBC that Airport will officially re-open 4th December, midnight ie in time for King's Birthday and that all PAD protests will stop then

Which would make a lot more sense then the 15th december date, I mean why would they need 13 days to ensure the airport's security, surely that can be done a whole lot quicker.

If they are doing it right, no, it should'nt be done quickly.

The airport has been semicontrolled by a 1000+ mob for over a week.

From a security standpoint, the entire airport should be searched completely (every nook and cranny) with bomb sniffer devices and dogs. This should take quite a long time to accomplish. This also shouldn't proceed until ALL PAD are out of the airport.

Think how easy it is/was for a southern separatist/ other angry terrorist/fringe Militaristic PAD member to just don yellow gear and getinto wherever they wanted in the airport undeterred and unsupervised. There could be lots of well and poorly hidden suprises in the airport now set for delayed activation by any of the parties. Also, how about the same people creating hidden weapons cahches for future use?

Do people really want to start boarding flights in this environment?

Do other countries really want these planes with unknown amounts of bonus surprises landing in their own airports?

Agree fully Mellow Yellow! I cannot understand what this big rush is to start up flights a couple days after the PAD leave. OK, I understand 100's of thousands have/are inconvenienced...but...I sure would be uncomfortable boarding a flight in the next few days.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they are doing it right, no, it should'nt be done quickly.

The airport has been semicontrolled by a 1000+ mob for over a week.

From a security standpoint, the entire airport should be searched completely (every nook and cranny) with bomb sniffer devices and dogs. This should take quite a long time to accomplish. This also shouldn't proceed until ALL PAD are out of the airport.

Think how easy it is/was for a southern separatist/ other angry terrorist/fringe Militaristic PAD member to just don yellow gear and getinto wherever they wanted in the airport undeterred and unsupervised. There could be lots of well and poorly hidden suprises in the airport now set for delayed activation by any of the parties. Also, how about the same people creating hidden weapons cahches for future use?

Do people really want to start boarding flights in this environment?

Do other countries really want these planes with unknown amounts of bonus surprises landing in their own airports?

Your points are correct.

International airlines will also be worried about a future closure in the near future - I can't see them being too keen on transporting passengers into Thailand if they suspect they may have the cost/inconvenience of trying to getting them out again in a week or so. Emirates website is still saying that there'll be no flights up to & including the 12th December.

The EU & other authorities ought to temporarily ban flights from BKK, until it's confirmed & independently (non-Thai) verified that the proper safety & security checks have been conducted.

Some people are losing their jobs, others are losing millions of Baht in business. I guess you should tell them yourself that they should go to the beach for another 2 weeks to relax and see how they answer. :o

Those people are called losers.

Definitely, it's time to relax and enjoy the show.

If your intention is to be the poster child for dumbshit ignorance- you won already. You know that some of these tourists who should be kicking back on the beach are in need of medical attention- many are losing wages- others are forced to be away from needs more pressing than sitting on the beach. You might welcome being stranded in Thailand- but how incredibly stupid to assume that other people have your airhead approach to life.

Please tell me how I'm wrong?

Life doesn't have fixed rules. Situations change.

One minute you're doing OK, on some tropical holiday in some foreign land. Or your business is doing well. Then something unexpected happens.

Winners are those who can adjust and adapt. Those who lost millions made their gains under the old rules.

Some people are losing their jobs, others are losing millions of Baht in business. I guess you should tell them yourself that they should go to the beach for another 2 weeks to relax and see how they answer. :o

Those people are called losers.

Definitely, it's time to relax and enjoy the show.

If your intention is to be the poster child for dumbshit ignorance- you won already. You know that some of these tourists who should be kicking back on the beach are in need of medical attention- many are losing wages- others are forced to be away from needs more pressing than sitting on the beach. You might welcome being stranded in Thailand- but how incredibly stupid to assume that other people have your airhead approach to life.

Please tell me how I'm wrong?

Life doesn't have fixed rules. Situations change.

One minute you're doing OK, on some tropical holiday in some foreign land. Or your business is doing well. Then something unexpected happens.

Winners are those who can adjust and adapt. Those who lost millions made their gains under the old rules.

you would have had to be pretty shwerd to have pridicted this crap, in fact if you where that smart i would say you would have eliminted Thailand as a place to own nothing more than a hobby business

Hi,

From last AOT conference on Thai TV :

About Suvarnabhumi international airport :

- should be able to receive passagers in 48 h (04th dec, midnight)

- no departure of passagers before 1 week (about 9th dec)

- return to normal traffic before the 15th of december, 6pm.

Pattaya46

you would have had to be pretty shwerd to have pridicted this crap, in fact if you where that smart i would say you would have eliminted Thailand as a place to own nothing more than a hobby business

In Thailand, if anyone expects anything more than a life-style (hobby) business the must be:-

Airheads

Deluded

Very rich

Very clever (& lucky, to boot)

The country was, is and will be for the forseeable future:-

Unstable

Unwelcoming to foreign business

Inward looking and self-protectionist when there are problems

Unwilling to let you own assets (that may afford future security if problems crop up)

Hi,

Pattaya46

Now that makes a lot of sense, of course the airlines will jump at the chance to bring a plane full of passengers into Thailand and then depart with an empty plane for the first 5 days of the grand reopening. Perhaps they will charge double for the inbound to cover the loses.

Edited by DDay

Hi,

Pattaya46

Now that makes a lot of sense, of course the airlines will jump at the chance to bring a plane full of passengers into Thailand and then depart with an empty plane for the first 5 days of the grand reopening. Perhaps they will charge double for the inbound to cover the loses.

Saw on the news that the airports were to begin normal operations on Friday, 5 December 2008. Just in time to honour the Kings birthday.........by exiting the country and many never to return as well as telling theor friends to stay clear of Thailand.

<h1 class="headline">Bangkok feeling the pain of isolation</h1><h1 class="headline">

BANGKOK: The Four Seasons hotel has taken French oysters and artichokes off the menu. Frustrated orchid growers cannot export their flowers, so they are selling them on the local market for one-third the price. And FedEx is no longer the world on time, not when the package is stuck in crisis-struck Thailand...</h1>Press article

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/12/01/asia/baht.php

Hi,

Pattaya46

I do agree, a quite ridiculous statement. Especially when there are so many people here that need to return home.

Hi,

Pattaya46

Highly unlikely that airlines will double charge. Most flights from the Middle East are entirely booked until mid/end December. My flight was supposed to leave the 26th of November with Gulf Air, I can't get a single seat, not even business class until the 30th of December. Most passengers have already paid for their tickets. Those who fly out once the airport reopens will to my guess stay at least a week. That will cover the first 5 days. Anyone who had a flight booked from the 26th of Nov to the 4th/5th of December are practically screwed and can basically only opt out for a refund, since I'm guessing most people can't wait so long because of work or other commitments. As for me, I'm on a waiting list up until the 7th of December. I also think the airline agent just made up the waiting list so I would stop calling him, lol.

Im really pissed off right now... I wish i had flown out one day before the protests... :o Now I have to wait until May.

Hi,

Pattaya46

Highly unlikely that airlines will double charge. Most flights from the Middle East are entirely booked until mid/end December. My flight was supposed to leave the 26th of November with Gulf Air, I can't get a single seat, not even business class until the 30th of December. Most passengers have already paid for their tickets. Those who fly out once the airport reopens will to my guess stay at least a week. That will cover the first 5 days. Anyone who had a flight booked from the 26th of Nov to the 4th/5th of December are practically screwed and can basically only opt out for a refund, since I'm guessing most people can't wait so long because of work or other commitments. As for me, I'm on a waiting list up until the 7th of December. I also think the airline agent just made up the waiting list so I would stop calling him, lol.

Im really pissed off right now... I wish i had flown out one day before the protests... :o Now I have to wait until May.

It may surprise some people (It surprised me) that the fares have gone up dramatically on Priceline. I actually purchased our January tickets on Priceline and went on the page just to see if they had any word on bookings/cancellations and they have a little text box titled "Fares you may like" which they compile based on what I have searched before. Well yesterday Priceline had flights from Chicago to Bangkok up 74% to almost 3,000 USD! I about fell over when I saw that. Needless to say they were mistaken if Pricline thought it was a "Fare I might like" :D

I was at the Freezone yesterday and we had to be screened by the pipe wielding thugs.

We were in a 6 wheeler to pick up cargo.

I was more concerned about the moronic "fixers" that inhabit the cargo areas.

Happy to say they were not a problem, neither was Customs, but it took a whole day to clear my goods.

I'd hate to go there when they were busy! :o

I actually saw an aircraft take off. :D

I think it borders on idiocy, that a group like PAD would be allowed to do what it do to an international airport. What is even more ludicrious is that PAD now wants to "educate" the rural poor of Thailand. Their mentality all along has been one of an elitist group whose opinion and wisdom exceeds that of the normal Thai. I think that what should be done if PAD decides to seize the airports again is that the "ignorant" rural Thais should stop sending food to Bangkok. Cut off the food. The only people who have the time and the money to take off work to protest are the very wealthy, their wives, grandparents, or their children.

I hope QF1 returns to BKK soon for its stopover. The mother-in-law's visa ends on the 15th, we have her booked to leave on the 8th, but that can be deferred. If it does not open until midnight on the 15th that will suck because she will have to leave here on the 15th and the last QF flight out on the 15th arrives in BKK just before midnight. An overstay might be on the cards because I won't pay $240 for a visa extension if it will only be for 1 day :o

What date is it most likely that normal operations will resume and the planes flying between Australia and Europe will return via BKK instead of Sing? Any ideas?

I hope QF1 returns to BKK soon for its stopover. The mother-in-law's visa ends on the 15th, we have her booked to leave on the 8th, but that can be deferred. If it does not open until midnight on the 15th that will suck because she will have to leave here on the 15th and the last QF flight out on the 15th arrives in BKK just before midnight. An overstay might be on the cards because I won't pay $240 for a visa extension if it will only be for 1 day :o

What date is it most likely that normal operations will resume and the planes flying between Australia and Europe will return via BKK instead of Sing? Any ideas?

Sorry to disappoint you but Qantas has said that they will not resume any flights to Thailand for at least two weeks!

Heard that on the news this morning.

TWO THINGS

ONE: The airport was left totally without any security,until they get those departures areas cleared,no country will allow a single flight into that country. SECURITY must be maintained.

TWO: I still have a package awaiting to go to Chaing Mai. I t is with UPS and still sits in the Philippines.There is no word as when cargo flights will risk or not risk thier planes going into Thailand. If their is the slightest chance something will happen or delay thier plane,no go.One could only guess how much frieght is backed up and awaiting to come the country.

Hi,

Pattaya46

Hmmm... my wife and I were due to fly on the 1st of December. I'm fully expecting to fly out on the 6th from U-Tapao as we were told by our airline.

Do you know something I don't?

Edited by fudoshinanzan

There is no charge for an overstay of one day.

AOT president ready to arrange special zone for PAD rallies at airportsPublished on December 2, 2008

He added that if the PAD wants to remain at the airports, AOT is ready to arrange a special area so that the protest would not affect the operations.

This guy who's probably been on the verge of a stress induced coronary is pretty smart. He's taken a page from the countries that hold G-7, APEC type meetings where they set up areas for protestors. Respects the right to voice an opinion and lets people get on with their lives. Big :o to the prez.

Saw on the news that the airports were to begin normal operations on Friday, 5 December 2008. Just in time to honour the Kings birthday.........by exiting the country and many never to return as well as telling theor friends to stay clear of Thailand.

Maybe now they'll start to realise that they need foriegners in this country when businesses close down and people start loosing their jobs because the amount of tourists has halved next year.

Hmmm... my wife and I were due to fly on the 1st of December. I'm fully expecting to fly out on the 6th from U-Tapao as we were told by our airline.

Do you know something I don't?

Perhaps airlines still not wanting to use Suvh on the 6th will have the option of using U-Tapao. Just guessing.

AOT chief says commercial flights from Suvarnabhumi to resume Friday noon

Airports of Thailand Plc Acting President Serirat Prasutanond said Wednesday commercial flights may be resumed at the Suvarnabhumi International Airport at noon on Friday although it will take at least a week before the airport could resume full operations.

Serirat said passengers would still be required to check in at Bitec exhibition centre on Friday but the first passenger flight could be resumed at the Suvarnabhumi Airport at noon Friday.

He said all the systems would have to be checked before the airport could resume the full opertions.

The checking would be completed in one week at the soonest or would take no more than two weeks, he said.

Source: The Nation - 03 December 2008

AOT chief says commercial flights from Suvarnabhumi to resume Friday noon

Airports of Thailand Plc Acting President Serirat Prasutanond said Wednesday commercial flights may be resumed at the Suvarnabhumi International Airport at noon on Friday although it will take at least a week before the airport could resume full operations.

Serirat said passengers would still be required to check in at Bitec exhibition centre on Friday but the first passenger flight could be resumed at the Suvarnabhumi Airport at noon Friday.

He said all the systems would have to be checked before the airport could resume the full opertions.

The checking would be completed in one week at the soonest or would take no more than two weeks, he said.

Source: The Nation - 03 December 2008

Has there been any such similarly "reliable" statement regarding DM? I've got a domestic departure on Friday.

12 airlines request using of Suvarnabhumi airport's runway

12 freight airlines have already requested using of the Suvarnabhumi international airport's air strip after the airport declared it would re-open for cargo planes from December 2 to 15.

General Manager of Suvarnabhumi Airport and acting president of the Airports of Thailand Public Company Limited Mr. Serirat Prasutanond (เสรีรัตน์ ประสุตานนท์) stated today (December 3) the airport has opened its runways to cargo planes from now until 6 PM on December 15 to aid the transportation of goods for trade.

The western runway of the airport would be used for this purpose as it is closest to the airport's free zone cargo holding. Up to 12 airlines have requested use of the runway with three flights already landing in the airport on Tuesday night with nine other airliners expected to land today. Information about the free zone and runway can be found by calling 02-134-1619-23.

Source: National News Bureau of Thailand - 03 December 2008

This topic continue here:

BREAKING NEWS:

Suvarnabhumi to partly open Friday, Protesters leave Airports, Govt House

Full story:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Suvarnabhumi...-O-t227152.html

Thaivisa Flight Services:

Find a flight in or out of Thailand today - We have them!:

http://www.thaivisa.com/latest/thaivisa-ex...assistance.html