Question For Long Term Expats

totlanh

This question has probably been asked before but reading Garro,s latest topic regarding whether you are happy to spend the rest of your life in Thailand he stated that despite living there for 6 years it still does not feel like home and it got me wondering if others feel the same.So if you have lived in Thailand or anywhere else,i myself,am emigrating too Vietnam for good on Saturday with my family,for say a period of over 2 years do you feel truly at home or do you feel still like you are a foreigner?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm originally from Northern Ireland where I grew up and lived for a couple of decades before moving to England for quite a few years. Strangely enough I feel more at home in Thailand now after 9/10 years than I ever did in England and certainly can't imagine ever living back in NI again. Having a Thai wife and kids though may well play a big part in "feeling at home"

I have never really had a "home", per se, as I moved about every 6 months my whole life. Thailand is the longest I have ever stayed anywhere! I do feel very at home here but I am still a foreigner and will never be accepted into the Thai circle. I am okay with that for now, but eventually I will probably go back to my own people.

I spent 7 years in Thailand and always felt happy to be there , but i never felt 'At home' , because there was never a general welcome mat , if you get my drift . Always had to chase a visa out of the country , the rules often being changed etc/ made up as each officer had his own interpetation , special 'tea money'for foreigners because "Thais have no money "i was told by one BIB , so i eventually moved to a country that i find welcomes me for whom i am instead of just a convenient ATM card , if you let them .

I'm originally from Northern Ireland where I grew up and lived for a couple of decades before moving to England for quite a few years. Strangely enough I feel more at home in Thailand now after 9/10 years than I ever did in England and certainly can't imagine ever living back in NI again. Having a Thai wife and kids though may well play a big part in "feeling at home"

Hey Judas

Im from Northern Ireland as well,Belfast,were do you hail from originally?

"But, that is about how I feel when I am in USA now."

For me you've hot the nail on the head - nowhere is that magical 'home' place after a certain amount of time here. You ain't at 'home' her - you ain't at home there. Maybe we just better lchange our expectations.. ?

I have felt good about being here since very early on, BUT that has to be qualified with having a partner that is fully fluent in English as well having a very adventurous personality. I think it helps that I was a practicing Theravedan Buddhist before moving here and balanced my early time in Thailand between other foreigners that were here to study and ranging around exploring temples and meeting other Buddhists.

I have lived outside of tourist areas and spent time almost exclusively with Thais since I was here about 6 months. I use the internet and the BF for my English language needs and the rest of the time speaking Thai and finding new places to explore.

I know I will never be Thai even if I go the PR route to citizenship but i pretty much do feel 'at home' here.

Strange question. I actually felt more at home living here the first few years. Ignorance is bliss...After a few more years the reality began to set in. I will never be part of Thai society. I can call this country my home. But the country will never be my home. The social fabric just will not allow it. I am more of an oddity, a curiosity that is accepted and pigion-holed within a certain section outside of the Thai social system. This is fine with me. I can live with it. But the farang who thinks he has actually become part of the strict social system is suffering from mild delusions.

7 years here as a comfortable foreigner - no more than that. In my opinion the majority of Thais who have never stepped foot outside Thailand will never accept the foreigner apart from as someone to get money from - for as little as possible in return. I will not be staying here forever, I will be moving on. Perhaps I have tunnel vision... but I do not think so.

Being honest!! for many people living thailand starts with the first holiday there, and slowly the visits increase and relationships and dreams start,everything seen through rosecoloured glasses, savings get used up in the first couple of years and the reality of having to live on an uncertain valued pension sets in, apart from thai family members, the attitude towards you is still farang money machine, as many know I was bitten by the isaan bug 45 years ago, tried the retire in thailand bit even bought a house , but always kept our second home in queensland as well, was lucky enough to sell our thai home in march his year, but we still spend months in thailand every year , but home is where we feel at home at the time!! whether it be a beach house on Bribie Island, a block out in the sticks, a cottage on the Rhein or even a mill house in warrington or wigan!!I think its each persons own choice and ability to put down roots where ever they feel at home, As for me everywhere is home,I whinge were ever I am :o

Without family and until recently most of my business here I would have moved about 2 years ago. I would not have gone back to the UK but the continual grind of a system which thinks making you jump through stupid hoops is logical wears you down.

I know why they do this. Some clown has a "bright" idea and because he only has 2 years or so with his head at the front of the trough, all his underlings just agree with his potty plans because they do not want to jeopardise their chances of getting to the head of the line and filling their boots.

The comment above saying that most people want to extract as much as possible with the least amount of effort is totally true in the bigger cities and tourist areas and it is getting harder to find places where the Thais retain some of their previous good nature.

It is not all doom and gloom and there are many benefits but I have gotten sick of making excuses for lame decisions and pretending it is paradise when it really is not.

If I had made the move, I would not rule out returning at some future date but it is going to take something special to make me re-invest in the country and thus continue to make my life here. Family commitments mean I will retain some part of Thailand within my life but the party is over and at the moment, the reality is like a dead fish on a cold slab in the morning.

I'm happy enough here, especially at this time of year when the weather is so good.

I still keep a bolthole in the UK......one just never knows?

I'm also going home for Christmas...hope I can say that for certain now the troubles appear to be over. I agree that Christmas's are not the same as back home...it will be my first cold one in 7 years...although I think my Wife is in for a bit of a shock ...she has only been twice in the summer before ...and it was cold for her then !!!

again

Comfortable Foreigner...great phrase and sums it up perfectly I think

Hey Judas

Im from Northern Ireland as well,Belfast,were do you hail from originally?

Actually from Carrickfergus, just down the road. Small world :o

Each of the last four Xmases I've promised myself that it'd be my last in this place, this year I won't bother making that promise...

Christmas' are never the same here..

Thats why Im going back to the UK this christmas. :o

So essentially you are saying that without Christmas, you would never go back to the UK. Understandable.

I may be only a guest here, but it is the only home I have or want. Infrequent trips back to the US are not comfortable. I feel like a stranger there even though I still have family there. I would be totally devastated if I had to leave Thailand. Life would go on, but I would feel like I was uprooted from my home. I first moved to Thailand in 1991.

I have been living and working in Thailand permanently since 1982.But if I would not be married I would probably only come to Thailand during the winter time.Noise and especially pollution have gone up a lot and thus the quality of living has gone down.Formerly beautiful and quiet beaches are now surrounded by real estate.

Edited by bunnaag

Being honest!! for many people living thailand starts with the first holiday there, and slowly the visits increase and relationships and dreams start,everything seen through rosecoloured glasses, savings get used up in the first couple of years and the reality of having to live on an uncertain valued pension sets in, apart from thai family members, the attitude towards you is still farang money machine, as many know I was bitten by the isaan bug 45 years ago, tried the retire in thailand bit even bought a house , but always kept our second home in queensland as well, was lucky enough to sell our thai home in march his year, but we still spend months in thailand every year , but home is where we feel at home at the time!! whether it be a beach house on Bribie Island, a block out in the sticks, a cottage on the Rhein or even a mill house in warrington or wigan!!I think its each persons own choice and ability to put down roots where ever they feel at home, As for me everywhere is home,I whinge were ever I am :o

Dad? Dad, is that you? I didn't know you posted on Thaivisa.

I have never really had a "home", per se, as I moved about every 6 months my whole life. Thailand is the longest I have ever stayed anywhere! I do feel very at home here but I am still a foreigner and will never be accepted into the Thai circle. I am okay with that for now, but eventually I will probably go back to my own people.

Indeed, when I worked in Portugal I considered moving over there until I realised I would never become Portuguese.

Nowadays I live in Thailand and will always consider myself an expat.

rogercw said it best.................comfortable foreigner.

Been here a bit over 2 years permanently. It's the place my wife and I want to be. Will never feel like I fit in but that doesn't bother me much. Must say the Thais have always treated us well and we like them. Will never feel like home but must admit anymore I don't know what home is suppose to feel like.

Have no where I would rather be so guess that is close enough to home.