Tourist Arrivals On Samui Down 50%

LaoPo

Why on earth would anyone come all the way to this island for holiday only to spend one second of it at Tesco?

i would imagine the only extra falangs going to tesco would be families who come here to stay their own houses or houses that they rent.the normal tourists in resorts and hotels/guest houses would n't bother.fisherman's village and banrak are quiet but would imagine chaweng and lamai to be busy.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Movie theatre, bowling ally, shopping, food.

Tesco's food court is pretty colorless cuisine. The thing they call pizza there, if it is still sold, was so bad the last time (and only time) I tried it (last year) that I wouldn't even call it pizza. The "Thai food" is sort of like the "Chinese food" you get in the malls in the US. Looks and tastes like foreigners expect that alien grub to be.

Shopping for what? Unless you are living here, or here for a good deal of time, why aren't you spending your money on carved soap or overpriced and stupid pukka neckaces? I mean, isn't that crap what you are supposed to buy on holiday on the beach?

"OK, sweetheart, let's go to Tesco and buy some stuff we can buy at home, only we can do it here."

"Great honey! I can buy a donut!"

Bowling alley...hmmm...I guess if you come all this way for the sun, beach, beer, Thai food, aforementioned souveniers and massages, bowling might be the cornerstone of a successful trip....then again, you can always take your rent-a-girlfriend there.

Movie theater. Another, "Why do it here, when you can do it at home" event.

This is sort of the MacDonald's thing. I look at people, not residents here, eating Big Macs or whatnot and think, "You guys must be touched."

...and on a tangent for the 50 percent of the potential people who are actually here, Windguru says it's going to pour on NY eve...shiiza!

Tesco's food court is pretty colorless cuisine. The thing they call pizza there, if it is still sold, was so bad the last time (and only time) I tried it (last year) that I wouldn't even call it pizza. The "Thai food" is sort of like the "Chinese food" you get in the malls in the US. Looks and tastes like foreigners expect that alien grub to be.

Shopping for what? Unless you are living here, or here for a good deal of time, why aren't you spending your money on carved soap or overpriced and stupid pukka neckaces? I mean, isn't that crap what you are supposed to buy on holiday on the beach?

"OK, sweetheart, let's go to Tesco and buy some stuff we can buy at home, only we can do it here."

Bowling alley...hmmm...I guess if you come all this way for the sun, beach, beer, Thai food, aforementioned souveniers and massages, bowling might be the cornerstone of a successful trip....then again, you can always take your rent-a-girlfriend there.

Movie theater. Another, "Why do it here, when you can do it at home" event.

This is sort of the MacDonald's thing. I look at people, not residents here, eating Big Macs or whatnot and think, "You guys must be touched."

...and on a tangent for the 50 percent of the potential people who are actually here, Windguru says it's going to pour on NY eve...shiiza!

Mark,you might want to check the latest updates.

http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=30397

Mark,you might want to check the latest updates.

http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=30397

Yes, but it still says rain...It rained last year too, but let up enough to allow for folks to shooooot their wads (of fireworks...). I certainly hope it holds off from at least 11:30pm to 12:15am or therabouts.

I used to come with an empty suitcase ang go back full of summer cloths. The stuff they were selling on the street was very bad quality with a brand name on it.

Now they are still bad but I can import them to Thailand from home cheaply, all Bangla Desh very good cotton t-shirt....

Anyway a trip to Tesco in a long vacation is a must. Still do not know if Bigc is better....

well, the week weather is shitty, but no big rain as predicted by the very variable guru....

when our the wingewrs starting the ... too much traffic no parking and too many tourists thread hahahaha

whatever spock... :o ...clearly I am correct...and, unfortunately, you are not...good luck to you and those who live on planet vulcan :D

yes you are correct ... and we are wrong.

we who have been living here for the past 9 and more years are wrong yet you who have just joined the forum know better.

you know better that bkk air has available flights in the new airport... (you know the one that was not yet opened last year)... and can handle more flights. which they are at thsi moment. today they had 6 more flights then they did the same day last year.

you know better then the Russian agency Tez tours who are recruiting staff because they expect 40% increase in Russian tourists on January.

and you know about world economy and its effect on samui because you are realy prof rubinni who just came to teach us about the economic trends effecting the travel industry..

you know better then every one.. you are the only one who knows and all of us are just in the dark.

I am truly sorry i have upset you.

So when i go out tonight and sit 20 minutes in traffic trying to get into chaweng. or not find parking from all motor bikes parked on every street and when i see all those partyes and clubs packed with people ... i will remind my self that i am dilusional and that you are the one who knows.. :D

you still do not get it...do you spock (yes, look at my earlier posts about the fact that this week would be "busy"...by this year's standards anyway....for the rest, all your businesses, all your land...etc...it is now spit) ...this is NOT the last years...this is NOW.

check BKKAir's website....if one wanted to book two tickets to Samui from BKK TOMORROW...available...on ALL flights....if one wanted to book two tickets to BKK from Samui on Wednesday (not tomorrow or Tuesday...because all the one week tourists who bought their tickets before the world economy collapsed have to leave Thailand now)....available...on ALL flights....hope you all enjoyed your week of "prosperity" :D ...sorry to be correct spock :D

check BKKAir's website....if one wanted to book two tickets to Samui from BKK TOMORROW...available...on ALL flights....if one wanted to book two tickets to BKK from Samui on Wednesday (not tomorrow or Tuesday...because all the one week tourists who bought their tickets before the world economy collapsed have to leave Thailand now)....available...on ALL flights....

well, BKK airways is doing a huge number of flights this days, it must be impossible to have plane full on both ways, that means they are selling 2 tickets for price of one....

a cheap airline would have just said, all full, wait one week......

check BKKAir's website....if one wanted to book two tickets to Samui from BKK TOMORROW...available...on ALL flights....if one wanted to book two tickets to BKK from Samui on Wednesday (not tomorrow or Tuesday...because all the one week tourists who bought their tickets before the world economy collapsed have to leave Thailand now)....available...on ALL flights....

well, BKK airways is doing a huge number of flights this days, it must be impossible to have plane full on both ways, that means they are selling 2 tickets for price of one....

20 flights? a "huge number"...during the "peakest of the peak high season?"(actually I think they are running 5-10 flights less than in peak seasons in recent past and even less flights than in recent mid to low seasons)..sorry, don't think so. AND ALL flights having open seats a day before? really do not think so....

Hi,

I am coming to Samui end of the week for 6 days then on to Phuket, Koh Phi Phi etc..

Been looking at some common sites online (Agoda, asiarooms) and noticed most of the hotels in Samui have cut thier rates 40 percent or more (Even since the last time I was there)..... so. Would it be better to book with them or to show up and try and talk a deal at the end of the week. All opinions welcome.

Best regards,

J

20 flights? a "huge number"...during the "peakest of the peak high season?"(actually I think they are running 5-10 flights less than in peak seasons in recent past and even less flights than in recent mid to low seasons)..sorry, don't think so. AND ALL flights having open seats a day before? really do not think so....

It's huge, i do not remember another route with more frequent fly, apart SFO/LAX 5 years ago, the famous United shuttle every 30 minutes.

And they are all coming empty and go back full, bad business.

Hi,

I am coming to Samui end of the week for 6 days then on to Phuket, Koh Phi Phi etc..

Been looking at some common sites online (Agoda, asiarooms) and noticed most of the hotels in Samui have cut thier rates 40 percent or more (Even since the last time I was there)..... so. Would it be better to book with them or to show up and try and talk a deal at the end of the week. All opinions welcome.

Best regards,

J

deal with them here...they are desperate.

It's huge, i do not remember another route with more frequent fly, apart SFO/LAX 5 years ago, the famous United shuttle every 30 minutes.

And they are all coming empty and go back full, bad business.

ah, I see you are now comparing a route between SF and LA...with who knows how many airlines...I would hazzard at least a dozen or so...with our little airport monopolized (and owned, don't forget) by one airline, BKKAir (ah yes, except for the couple of ThaiAir flights a day they have so graciously recently allowed. Also, this number of flights is pretty "normal"...and was larger in the past...despite the fact we are in...or, sorry, just coming out of "peak" season.

Hi people

I am a very infrequent poster here, preferring to read rather than comment

Up until last year, I was a frequent visitor to the island of Samui. My opinions and thoughts on the traffic system, cleanliness, building work etc are not pertinent to this topic. Safe to say that the reason I returned so often were the friends I made when first visiting the island.

Unfortunately, i was unable to visit the island last year and I can only hope that I get the chance to visit this year. My reasons for staying away are solely down to finances. When I first visited the island i would expect around 71baht to £1 sterling, good accommodation was around 800baht and the price of a Bacardi Breezer was about 90baht. I would normally visit Lamai but enjoyed seeing other parts of the island. I came to enjoy my vacations and always did.

Forgetting the increasing costs of airfares. Which are marginally up due to fuel duties.

Exchange rate - now around 50baht to £1 sterling

room rate - 1200baht for the same room (50% increase in 3 years), not taking into consideration that I now get less baht to the pound sterling.

Drinks - A Bacardi Breezer was reported by my friend as now being 150baht at one of my old haunts.

So lets do the maths here with the exchange rate

A room that cost me £11.50 sterling now costs £24.00

A drink that cost me £1.27 sterling now costs £3.00

So in the good old days coming on holiday with £2000 to spend got me a wonderful time, now I would need to bring £4000 or even £5000 to have the equivelant enjoyment. You can cut out ringing the bell and you can eat at cheaper restaurants, but where is the fun in that when I'm on vacation.

Inflation on the island has been too high for too long and now that we have a global economic crisis the previously strong currencies are on their knees. Well tourism is going to be hit. Also I have to save for my holidays and the cost of living in England isn't going down, so I have less disposable income than previously. All this has an effect. A negative one.

Anyway just my 2 cents. Its a shame there is a negative impact for the island I do love visiting and will again, but not as frequently as before.

V

Forgetting the increasing costs of airfares. Which are marginally up due to fuel duties.

room rate - 1200baht for the same room (50% increase in 3 years), not taking into consideration that I now get less baht to the pound sterling.

Drinks - A Bacardi Breezer was reported by my friend as now being 150baht at one of my old haunts.

So in the good old days coming on holiday with £2000 to spend got me a wonderful time, now I would need to bring £4000 or even £5000 to have the equivelant enjoyment. You can cut out ringing the bell and you can eat at cheaper restaurants, but where is the fun in that when I'm on vacation.

LV

I don't think that you can discout the airline cost - as Feb 09 LHR-BKK £401 (Etihad) - cheaper than I've paid in a long time

Like you I like to visit Samui often - agreed re the cost of hotels - now happy that bought a house for £1.75m in 2003 having spend 15 holidays there over the last 5 years, and I'm 49 so many more to go!

I don't know how long your holidays are - but I spend 3 weeks at a time - so the cost is air fare and - well I've got to eat/drink in the UK so no extra then (apart from accountant fee each year and house cleaning when I'm not there)

OK - maybe some for a bike and girlfriend rent (still cheaper here than the UK)

LV

I don't think that you can discout the airline cost - as Feb 09 LHR-BKK £401 (Etihad) - cheaper than I've paid in a long time

Like you I like to visit Samui often - agreed re the cost of hotels - now happy that bought a house for £1.75m in 2003 having spend 15 holidays there over the last 5 years, and I'm 49 so many more to go!

I don't know how long your holidays are - but I spend 3 weeks at a time - so the cost is air fare and - well I've got to eat/drink in the UK so no extra then (apart from accountant fee each year and house cleaning when I'm not there)

even at today's exchange rate that would be ~ 75.000.000 Baht must be some HOUSE!

50.000 p.M. rents quite a decent place these days this would make it only 18.000.000 Baht... for 30 years you would be 79 by then...120 years of rental would still bring it only to 72.000.000... got to be an Oyster of a house!

Edited by Samuian

even at today's exchange rate that would be ~ 75.000.000 Baht must be some HOUSE!

50.000 p.M. rents quite a decent place these days this would make it only 18.000.000 Baht... for 30 years you would be 79 by then...120 years of rental would still bring it only to 72.000.000... got to be an Oyster of a house!

Samuian - I think you will see the difference if you notice the 1. infront of the 75m!

I would be interested in your recalculation!

[

Sorry Samuian - I stand corrected - 1.75m Baht - woops!

• 1 month later...

LV

Where is Mr. Spock now to tell us how great the tourist numbers are "really"? :o

Any update on the Samui situation?

2009 seems not so bad as forecasted, at least until end of chinese year.

now it is getting worse, lot's of bike to rent everywhere......

horrible....hotels, bars, restaurants...empty...it is a ghost-town. kind of nice though, reminds me a bit of Samui 20 years ago.

horrible....hotels, bars, restaurants...empty...it is a ghost-town. kind of nice though, reminds me a bit of Samui 20 years ago.

I´m glad i´m not in a tourist depending buisness nowadays. Hotels are offering "pay one day-stay 3" and still with 70 % vacansy. I´m sure samui tourism association, and thaivisa poster "highdiver" and others that for some reason like to paint a faulse picture of the situation will come in and say "samui tourism is doing better than ever", but the truth being, this was the shortest "peak season" samui ever saw. Its a ghost-town again. And the bargains came back! You can eat and drink cheap again. If it was not for bangkok airways scam and the taxi scams i would start reccomending this island for tourists now. Bu those 2 factors are still there to rob the hel_l out of you.

Weather is nice now though. If you want a cheap beach-hotel and sunshine guarantee, you go to Samui for holiday now! Bargains are here! :o

Edited by mattias33

Got to be a parallel universe ou there!

think I am on a different Samui then....

yesterday Bar and several Restaurants in Chaweng packed on the 21th Anniversary of the RP packed out,

never ever before I saw that many people there!

Green Mango Square, not packed but still enough of People around..

Last weekend Mae Nam the live Music event @ lazy Coconut - packed!

And Yes, at certain times Beach Road pretty busy...

edited to correct 12 = 21st!

Edited by Samuian

yesterday Bar and several Restaurants in Chaweng packed on the 12th Anniversary of the RP packed out,

First of all it was their 21th anniversery, and second of all it is always packed. You offer free food and free drinks and you get all the expats to go there and celebrate what they dont even know they are celebrating. Have nothing what so ever to do with tourism being up or down.

Edited by mattias33

yesterday Bar and several Restaurants in Chaweng packed on the 12th Anniversary of the RP packed out,

Define "packed"...so WHAT...a few folks at an event...at a venue that is small...like ALL venues on Samui, including Mango and Reggae...so WHAT...a few folks on beach road "at certain times" (read: 12:37 a.m. to about 2:48 a.m.)...ya, THAT is money for Samui. What is with you guys, why do feel so dedicated to denying the truth?? :D EVERYONE I know here and talk to says business is DEAD...but you don't even have to ask, just walk around. eh hem...when is the last time you saw a cement truck on ring road? :o ...

For the rest of you, "Samuian" has his head in the sand or he's just lying (probably a property agent or developer or resort want to be owner :D ) the TRUTH is that Samui IS a ghost-town, business is dead....AND...it's kind of nice again :D