Pattaya Crime

APMann

wasn't there a thread a few weeks about the Mayor asking for bad news to be toned down?? And Howard denied it. Maybe it is true

I don't think he denied it - he said he wasn't going to abide by it, as his newspaper was fearless and they will continue to report every crime without fear or favour. (or something like that :D )

Pattaya's press? The pride of free thinking journalists throughout the civilised world. :o

wasn't there a thread a few weeks about the Mayor asking for bad news to be toned down?? And Howard denied it. Maybe it is true

I don't think he denied it - he said he wasn't going to abide by it, as his newspaper was fearless and they will continue to report every crime without fear or favour. (or something like that :D )

Pattaya's press? The pride of free thinking journalists throughout the civilised world. :o

I think he said the mayor had not asked for such a restriction and nor would he. But something's up for sure, and some sort of censorship seems to be going on. There is a lot less crime being reported in the English speaking local press at the same time as there seems to be a major increase in crime, which will only get worse as people get more desperate.

No doubt the newspapers continue to fill up with Raimon Land junkets, city worthies attending the opening of an envelope and more photos of self-serving press owners and their families gracing the fragrant meetings of Pattaya's Great and the Good.

Last night I was taking a stroll down walking st., and almost opposite Tony's disco there were some vendors

selling jewelry on a makeshift table. Apparently they had some disagreement with a potential customer so

in full view of 50 tourists, they (3or4 of them) punched him in the face and kicked him while he was on the

ground. If I hadn't seen this 10 times already I would be shocked. And the very smug expressions on their

faces made it clear they saw nothing wrong with this. Even the police, who made an appearance later, seemed

to just casually accept whatever story was told them, and ignore the fact these thugs had just assaulted a

tourist. And of course they all ran off like rats except for the one vendor left to fabricate their excuse. yuck. :o

Last night I was taking a stroll down walking st., and almost opposite Tony's disco there were some vendors

selling jewelry on a makeshift table. Apparently they had some disagreement with a potential customer so

in full view of 50 tourists, they (3or4 of them) punched him in the face and kicked him while he was on the

ground. If I hadn't seen this 10 times already I would be shocked. And the very smug expressions on their

faces made it clear they saw nothing wrong with this. Even the police, who made an appearance later, seemed

to just casually accept whatever story was told them, and ignore the fact these thugs had just assaulted a

tourist. And of course they all ran off like rats except for the one vendor left to fabricate their excuse. yuck. :o

Thanks. Another example of Pattaya's Tourism Offensive. Could you tell the nationality of the tourist? And whether he was he seriously hurt?

I'll take a wild guess and say I think he was east-european? but he wasn't being loud or obnoxious, they

just appeared to have some kind of disagreement? it happens so fast you know you miss the preceeding

2-5 minute build-up, all you see is 10-15 seconds of sucker-punching by 3-4 guys and then kicking the

defenseless person while they're lying on the ground. obviously it's a small minority of thais who behave

this way but some of them are just nasty and they seem to take very little provocation to assault tourists

especially if they have a gang of friends nearby and the consequences of getting hurt themselves or

getting in trouble with the police seems slight. i want to believe they only do this with good reason but i've

just seen it happen too many times. always to people that have had drink and are basically defenseless.

well, he wasn't unconcious but bleeding profusely while the attackers all fled their act of cowardice.

I'll take a wild guess and say I think he was east-european? but he wasn't being loud or obnoxious, they

just appeared to have some kind of disagreement? it happens so fast you know you miss the preceeding

2-5 minute build-up, all you see is 10-15 seconds of sucker-punching by 3-4 guys and then kicking the

defenseless person while they're lying on the ground. obviously it's a small minority of thais who behave

this way but some of them are just nasty and they seem to take very little provocation to assault tourists

especially if they have a gang of friends nearby and the consequences of getting hurt themselves or

getting in trouble with the police seems slight. i want to believe they only do this with good reason but i've

just seen it happen too many times. always to people that have had drink and are basically defenseless.

well, he wasn't unconcious but bleeding profusely while the attackers all fled their act of cowardice.

Thanks. A Nasty business, but as the poorest and less stable of Thais at the bottom of the tourism heap start to feel the chill winds of post-airport Thailand, these incidents may increase.

I won't be holding my breath to read about it in the censored local press: "Russian Tourist viciously assaulted on Walking Street".

I would hope one of the 50 tourist took a video and uploads it on youtube.

witnessed a chain snatch this afternoon. we were behind a baht bus as we were waiting to get around Dolphin Roundabout. a thai woman on the baht bus started to scream after a bike with 2 young guys on it had driven up to the baht bus and grabbed her necklace straight off her neck and took off. we tried to catch up to get the license but we were in a truck and they were on a motorbike. they were out of sight within seconds...

A useful reminder that the threat of crime in baht buses isn't just from the inside, with pickpockets, but can also come from outside grabs.

Even though a lot of Thai on foreigner crime is unreported, the Thai on Thai stuff is probably off the scale. Maybe that's why misterman21 (no relation) reports that the mayor thinks the city is crime-free - because so little is being reported!

What are all these foreigners complaining about? Just buy a S500 (the AMG with blacked out windows is nice) and no chance of your 10 baht chain being snatched. Pattaya just needs more quality tourists who will travel everywhere in a limousine or tour group. Problem solved.

Unless a few hi so thais have their benz's car jacked at gunpoint as far as they are concerned, it is crime free.