Christmas Dinner

uptheos

Last night I met a really nice couple from the UK (in their 40's).

They have lost both remaining parents this year and will be staying in Chiangmai until after New Year, as they don't want to be home over this holiday period. They asked me if I could recommend somewhere that does a nice 'homestyle' Christmas dinner.

I said that I'd ask around, so can anyone recommend a place for dinner based on a previous positive experience please?

Also, all ideas for New Years eve celebration appreciated.

Thanks a lot :o

My favorite Holiday Dinners in Chiang Mai

The Holiday Inn has been through a lot of name changes, but has always had Chiang Mai's best buffets since they opened as the Westin Hotel many moons ago. For years, it was THE PLACE to be on holidays, and - other than The Duke's - it probably still is.

The Duke's has only been open for a few years, but it has taken Chiang Mai by storm. It is the most successful foreign restaurant by far, and they recently opened a second branch in the Night Bazaar. The owner loves kids - he has a bunch of his own - and he loves holidays and he really knows what he is doing in the kitchen. This is a great combination for us, and he has promised to outdo himself this year!

053 249 231 Ask for David

Bake and Bite (main branch on Chang Klan road, near Night Bazaar) is another Chiang Mai favorite known for good food and reasonable prices. They serve a few basic, but delicious, holiday dinners for much cheaper prices than the big boys, but I swear that their Turkey is the best in town. In fact, no matter which place I choose, I ALWAYS get a turkey dinner from Bake and Bite delivered to my bachelor pad as well.

Bake and Bite also delivers whole cooked Turkeys and any and all the trimmings to your house if you are planning a party.

053 820 761 Ask for Gai

There are also some trendy, somewhat expensive restaurants around that I usually find disappointing compared to these three. When I go there, I often end up feeling like I have spent much more money for smaller portions of similar or lesser quality. I should have gone to The Duke's.

I have not tried some of the newer, even more expensive places like The Chedi or The Oriental, but I have heard good things about them and hope to try them some day.

I found out that Bake and Bite also have a buffet dinner with more stuff and it sounds like all you can eat. The regular Turkey dinner is 320 and it is plenty for me.

My favorite Holiday Dinners in Chiang Mai

The Holiday Inn has been through a lot of name changes, but has always had Chiang Mai's best buffets since they opened as the Westin Hotel many moons ago. For years, it was THE PLACE to be on holidays, and - other than The Duke's - it probably still is.

The Duke's has only been open for a few years, but it has taken Chiang Mai by storm. It is the most successful foreign restaurant by far, and they recently opened a second branch in the Night Bazaar. The owner loves kids - he has a bunch of his own - and he loves holidays and he really knows what he is doing in the kitchen. This is a great combination for us, and he has promised to outdo himself this year!

053 249 231 Ask for David

Bake and Bite (main branch on Chang Klan road, near Night Bazaar) is another Chiang Mai favorite known for good food and reasonable prices. They serve a few basic, but delicious, holiday dinners for much cheaper prices than the big boys, but I swear that their Turkey is the best in town. In fact, no matter which place I choose, I ALWAYS get a turkey dinner from Bake and Bite delivered to my bachelor pad as well.

Bake and Bite also delivers whole cooked Turkeys and any and all the trimmings to your house if you are planning a party.

053 820 761 Ask for Gai

There are also some trendy, somewhat expensive restaurants around that I usually find disappointing compared to these three. When I go there, I often end up feeling like I have spent much more money for smaller portions of similar or lesser quality. I should have gone to The Duke's.

I have not tried some of the newer, even more expensive places like The Chedi or The Oriental, but I have heard good things about them and hope to try them some day.

I found out that Bake and Bite also have a buffet dinner with more stuff and it sounds like all you can eat. The regular Turkey dinner is 320 and it is plenty for me.

Bake and Bite's buffet Christmas dinner that we went to last year was a ridiculous amount of heavy food. I agree, the regular dinner is enough.

Although the food at Bake & Bite is excellent it sounds like the couple in question may be looking for somewhere with a bit of atmosphere, I'm afraid Bake & Bite is lacking in that department.

One of the farang/expat pubs would be a better recommendation for anyone wanting to get into the spirit of things.

Mad Dog always gets my baht for a christmas lunch or dinner, I'm sure that Christmas at Tuskers would be right on the mark, I've heard good things about the Chiang Mai Saloon's Christmas spread and I'd be surprised if The Pub or the UN Irish Pub let anyone down at Christmas.

JxP

Have done the Saloon before now and can vouch for Ron's massive wedges of turkey 'n ham. Reckon Chas n Rach (Tuskers) would have a better atmosphere though... the Saloon does tend to attract that roughian element on the way to the entertainment plaza. A picnic in the sun over a lake will do us this year, though :o

A couple of places with absolutely ridiculous prices are (a) The Chedi where the price of New Years Eve Dinner is Baht 8,888.00 and (:D The Ratilanna where they are charging Baht 7,000.00

I hope that neither of these places get a single solitary customer between them :o

Edited by john b good

That is why I recommend the places that I do.

In my experience, most times in Thailand, the places that are far more expensive are not even as good as the better reasonably priced ones and you feel like you just threw a bunch of money in the toilet. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

juniorExPat.

I'd be surprised if The Pub or the UN Irish Pub let anyone down at Christmas !..... uhhh ??????

I think your probably right about the food there but if your expecting any atmosphere fron the surly , sour faced management permenently sat on a bar stool with a drink in their hand !

i would look for somewhere else to enjoy my xmas dinner : )

Enjoy the menue ..... dave2

edit .... im talking about the UN Irish bar NOT the Pub .... dave2

Edited by dave2

The Captain's Table at Ocean Marina Yacht Club has an excellent Christmas dinner reasonably priced. Outstanding service and views. Excellent parking and very nice strolling areas around the marina.

Didn't know there was a yacht club in Chiangmai? I'll be donning my deck shoes and cracking open the rum. Where exactly can I park me yacht, matey, ahar? :o

juniorExPat.

I'd be surprised if The Pub or the UN Irish Pub let anyone down at Christmas !..... uhhh ??????

I think your probably right about the food there but if your expecting any atmosphere fron the surly , sour faced management permenently sat on a bar stool with a drink in their hand !

i would look for somewhere else to enjoy my xmas dinner : )

Enjoy the menue ..... dave2

edit .... im talking about the UN Irish bar NOT the Pub .... dave2

A bit harsh, I can't believe that anyone would have an axe to grind with Santa Sandy, Jolly Judy or Gregarious Greg I guess you must have been unlucky or unfortunate . . . Like I said I'd be surprised, they seem to have a fair sized hard core of locals/regulars and I would expect that to suggest the likelihood of a good Christmas atmosphere.

To plug somewhere else though, I've seen that the Christmas Roast at Mad Dog has been posted on their website . . .

More ho, ho, hoes and less bar humbug that's what I say, :o

JxP

The Captain's Table at Ocean Marina Yacht Club has an excellent Christmas dinner reasonably priced. Outstanding service and views. Excellent parking and very nice strolling areas around the marina.

The Yacht Club huh? Now is this marina located on the Mae Ping? Looking forward to taking a "stroll" around this marina sometime.

What planet are you on?

They have lost both remaining parents this year and will be staying in Chiangmai until after New Year, as they don't want to be home over this holiday period. They asked me if I could recommend somewhere that does a nice 'homestyle' Christmas dinner.

I said that I'd ask around, so can anyone recommend a place for dinner based on a previous positive experience please?

Who knows of an upscale venue? I would really like a big buffet that will let me have oysters, smoked salmon, and champagne before the turkey. What will the Holiday Inn and the Mandarin Oriental have?

Who knows of an upscale venue? I would really like a big buffet that will let me have oysters, smoked salmon, and champagne before the turkey. What will the Holiday Inn and the Mandarin Oriental have?

My guess is that they will both have all those items - although you might have to pay extra for champagne - but the Holiday Inn will probably be much cheaper.

If I were rolling in dough, I might try the Oriental, but the Holiday Inn is quite a treat for the price. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I really don't understand this christmas dinner silliness.

I'll be going to a good Thai buffet in a hotel and it will be a half if not less the price of turkey and dried roast potatoes.

The Empress was my first choice (Western roasts, Chinese, Japanese and Thai) but someone told me they stopped running their buffet lunches.

And for dessert I'll look for some humbugs.

I really don't understand this christmas dinner silliness.

Silliness is fun at any age. Indulging one self is fun. Why not put the two together?

I called to check and the Holiday Inn will have a Xmas buffet similar to their Sunday buffet (oysters on half shell, other sea foods, their normal variety of hot foods, great desserts, etc. ) and turkey for the occassion. Affordable luxury, in my opinion, and a great way to spend quality time with friends and relatives. Sometime you need a specially occassion to get together.

Check out this other thread running currently in the CM forum. Tuskers have a very nice menu and a very nice athmosphere for Christmas dins.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Christmas-Spirit-t230191.html

Something happening at the Queen Victoria Pub. Xmas dinner of some sort. New Management. I am in bkk now so cant check but the new owners fixing up and very nice now.

Merry Christmas Chiang Mai !!

I'm looking forward to my Bake and Bite Christmas Eve Dinner that I have delivered to my shop in the afternoon, but there are also two buffets in the evening at the main branch on Chan Klan Road. The first seating is 5:30 and the second is at 7:30, I think.

To reserve, call 053 820 761 and ask for Miss Gai.

I guess it is too late for this year but if you are looking for a turkey for next christmas the I can highly recommend the pre cooked ones that Rinping Supermarket does. I devowered one last night and it was the tastiest bird I have had in years ( i will leave this sentence in so it can generate some spice to yet another food thread ).

It cost just under 200THB a kilo cooked and then they can also add in the extras. The stuffing was not that great nor was the gravy.

Fell asleep soon afterwards dreaming or jelly beans and wheels going round and round ....

Like UG, I enjoy eating and this turkey was unbeatable and I have cooked and eaten many.

Check out this other thread running currently in the CM forum. Tuskers have a very nice menu and a very nice athmosphere for Christmas dins.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Christmas-Spirit-t230191.html

Something happening at the Queen Victoria Pub. Xmas dinner of some sort. New Management. I am in bkk now so cant check but the new owners fixing up and very nice now.

Merry Christmas Chiang Mai !!

Snowbird, eh?

I had the Queen Vic Xmas lunch today - juicy juicy turkey. Had two plates. Good gravies. Good mashed. So-so dressing. Xmas pudding tasted like rum (so I complained!).

Good feed. Good quality. Merry Xmas everyone.