American Poolhall In Cm?

Super Hans

I read on another site that one of the large poolhalls in Bangkok has recently shutdown, with the Brunswick tables sold to someone in CM - any one know anything about this?

Also, I was drinking with a Thai chap a while ago, who told me he managed an American Poolhall - from my time in CM last year I don't recall seeing such an establishment.

think there may be one ön the super highway - along from the highway entrance to "tawan dang" night club car park.. (back of neimenheman)

certainly pool hall. whether they play pool or not.. i dont know.

Edited by SomNamNah

I don't believe that their is a single regulation size pool table in Chiang Mai at any commercial venue. Wish I was wrong as I really enjoy 9 ball!

Well unless Stickman has it wrong, a load of Brunswicks are heading up your way soon. Nice tables. I couldn't stand those tables you guys play on up there, and don't get me started on the rules...just sooo wrong.

I dont know of any American pool halls in Chiang Mai, though there are certainely a few Thai Snooker Halls, though im sure they have pool, aswell as Snooker! :o Suppose they are off the tourist track a bit though.

If you want a good game of pool, i guess stick to a pub/bar, such as O'Malleys, or The Half Moon Bar, etc, etc.

I read on another site that one of the large poolhalls in Bangkok has recently shutdown, with the Brunswick tables sold to someone in CM - any one know anything about this?

New pool hall, Cue Bar or Q Bar (not sure), opening this weekend on Nimman Soi 9, with 8 Brunswick tables. 150 baht/hour. Praise the Lord!

I don't believe that their is a single regulation size pool table in Chiang Mai at any commercial venue. Wish I was wrong as I really enjoy 9 ball!

You are wrong. Warm Up has an excellent 9 ball table, with one of the best views in Chiang Mai (near the female toilets). 20 baht / game.

There's another table near Payap apparently, but I've never played there, or really know where it is to be honest.

I dont know of any American pool halls in Chiang Mai, though there are certainely a few Thai Snooker Halls, though im sure they have pool, aswell as Snooker! :o Suppose they are off the tourist track a bit though.

If you want a good game of pool, i guess stick to a pub/bar, such as O'Malleys, or The Half Moon Bar, etc, etc.

Round Chang Pheuak district there are many local "snooker" halls, but pool is the game usually played. It's not really my thing, but I believe they are full size snooker tables and you get a choice of a snooker or pool set of balls.

Godzilla, on Manee Nopparat Soi2 (Northern outer moat) behind the gas station is a good example, can think of a few others if anyone is interested. Doubt anyone speaks much English though. Food and alcohol available too.

I've seenThe Warm Up pool table. Are you sure its regulation size? Perhaps the great view distorted your vision or maybe my vision was disturbed.

Great news about the pool hall!!!

ok, it's not 9x5, more like 8x4, but it's still a good table, and was for a long time the best in Chiang Mai.

Yeah it is great news!

There's going to be a weekly 9 ball competition, thursday nights I think. I'll post more info when I know for sure.

Edited by keo

New pool hall, Cue Bar or Q Bar (not sure), opening this weekend on Nimman Soi 9, with 8 Brunswick tables. 150 baht/hour. Praise the Lord!

You are wrong. Warm Up has an excellent 9 ball table, with one of the best views in Chiang Mai (near the female toilets). 20 baht / game.

There's another table near Payap apparently, but I've never played there, or really know where it is to be honest.

Thanks for that. Will be interested to see how successful the new poolhall is - I had it in the back of my mind to open one in CM myself, as there are a lot of very good players about, who I think will take to 'proper' tables rather easily if they are given the choice. The table in the Irish bar near the night bazaar was about the only fun table I found.

Where is Warm Up?

Round Chang Pheuak district there are many local "snooker" halls, but pool is the game usually played. It's not really my thing, but I believe they are full size snooker tables and you get a choice of a snooker or pool set of balls.

Godzilla, on Manee Nopparat Soi2 (Northern outer moat) behind the gas station is a good example, can think of a few others if anyone is interested. Doubt anyone speaks much English though. Food and alcohol available too.

There's a world of difference between the quality of tables though - the tables in some of the Thai snooker places are functional at best - the proper pool tables on their way are in an entirely different league - you are playing on ice rather than wading through treacle!

Where is Warm Up?

Nimmanheiman (?sp) on the right hand side if you are coming from the amari rincome towards Suthep road, nearer the suthep road side.

I expect a Thai clientele similar to the one in RCA in Bangkok. (A nightclub area for young Thais.) I expect loud, bad music, but hope for the best...

talk about pessimistic! I'm not sure what interest young hi-so nightclubbing posers would have in hanging out in a pool hall? I expect a clientele of people who like to play pool on good tables. As for the music being bad, well that's subjective I guess. What is your preferred aural accompaniment to a pool session?

Anyway, I'm going to check it out tonight or tomorrow evening. I will report back.

Shooter's Bar and Cue in RCA, an American style pool hall with techno music etc. is nothing but young nightclubbing Thais. They like to play eight ball.....

ah I see, I thought RCA was just a nightclub. Sounds quite interesting, I might check it out next time I'm down.

anyway, update for those interested - the opening of the new pool hall on soi 9 has been delayed due to the situation at the airport. workers/materials not able to be transported to Chiang Mai. Not sure of the new opening date yet, but I'll post it as soon as I know.

There's a world of difference between the quality of tables though - the tables in some of the Thai snooker places are functional at best - the proper pool tables on their way are in an entirely different league - you are playing on ice rather than wading through treacle!

The skull shaped dents and bloodstains on the cues don't help either :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I went to the Cue Bar this afternoon and played for a couple hours. Tables are Chinese made 4.5x9 America style and they play good. They are level and fast. House cues are not bad although I did not recognize the brand.

For serious US style pool play, the Cue Bar is definitely way above any of the bar tables I have played on in Chiangmai.

Not cheap at 150 baht/hr.

I went to the Cue Bar this afternoon and played for a couple hours. Tables are Chinese made 4.5x9 America style and they play good. They are level and fast. House cues are not bad although I did not recognize the brand.

For serious US style pool play, the Cue Bar is definitely way above any of the bar tables I have played on in Chiangmai.

Pockets the size buckets not particulary a challenging game for us that play on the main tables found in chiang mai

Pockets the size buckets not particulary a challenging game for us that play on the main tables found in chiang mai

playing on those tables around the moat is more of a chore than a challenge, if you ask me. More often than not the balls, cues, cloth and cushions (i.e. everything) are of really substandard quality. I used to play for one of the teams in the Chiang Mai league, but packed it in as I was sick of playing on those horrible tables.

Like bjohn34 said, everything at Cue Bar is tip top, and in a different league to anything else in Chiang Mai. Makes for a much more enjoyable pool experience.

And don't spout this "the pockets are like buckets, it's too easy" pish. If you think it's that easy, why don't you come along to the competitions when they start up, and you'll find out really how challenging pool in Chiang Mai can be.

Or you can continue playing bar girls on those god awful excuses for pool tables, thinking your playing like Paul Newman.

Up to you :o

playing on those tables around the moat is more of a chore than a challenge, if you ask me. More often than not the balls, cues, cloth and cushions (i.e. everything) are of really substandard quality. I used to play for one of the teams in the Chiang Mai league, but packed it in as I was sick of playing on those horrible tables.

Like bjohn34 said, everything at Cue Bar is tip top, and in a different league to anything else in Chiang Mai. Makes for a much more enjoyable pool experience.

And don't spout this "the pockets are like buckets, it's too easy" pish. If you think it's that easy, why don't you come along to the competitions when they start up, and you'll find out really how challenging pool in Chiang Mai can be.

Or you can continue playing bar girls on those god awful excuses for pool tables, thinking your playing like Paul Newman.

You are correct!. And if they will use international rules for 9 ball and eight ball instead of the "locally modified" rules which allow chicken s**t legal hits and safeties the cream will rise to the top. I am not the cream by the way.

Just stopped laughing at this post almost slit my sides I was laughing so hard.

I happen to play the best players in chiang mai not bar girls I also play on good tables I agree most places the tables are sub standard and so are the cues (I have my own) however a good player can adapt to any table and ajust his play within a few minutes and to say playing is a chore shows you probably are not skilled in the game enough to play on what is basically a snooker table and it requires way more skill to play on those tables and actually get the ball in the pocket instead of it hitting the cush 3/4 down and still going in on the bucket tables you like so much.

As for the competitions I am fully aware of the skilled players in chaing mai as I play the very best of them on a regular basis in the competitions already being run on good tables.

At 150 baht an hour which is 3 quid is outrageous and more expensive than the UK not sure they will make it

anytime you fancy a game maybe I will take you to school

UP TO YOU :D

Edited by FarangCravings

Sounds like a bet coming up. :D

Maybe we could make it a night.. :o ' Be interesting.

Would love to play, but I do not gamble. Quit many years ago.

Suggest these international rules for 8 ball or 9 ball.

General Rules - http://www.bca-pool.com/play/tournaments/rules/rls_gen.shtml

9 ball - http://www.bca-pool.com/play/tournaments/rules/rls_9bl.shtml

8 ball - http://www.bca-pool.com/play/tournaments/rules/rls_8bl.shtml

or any other published and complete set of rules which everybody can read and understand before hand

Just stopped laughing at this post almost slit my sides I was laughing so hard.

I happen to play the best players in chiang mai not bar girls I also play on good tables I agree most places the tables are sub standard and so are the cues (I have my own) however a good player can adapt to any table and ajust his play within a few minutes and to say playing is a chore shows you probably are not skilled in the game enough to play on what is basically a snooker table and it requires way more skill to play on those tables and actually get the ball in the pocket instead of it hitting the cush 3/4 down and still going in on the bucket tables you like so much.

As for the competitions I am fully aware of the skilled players in chaing mai as I play the very best of them on a regular basis in the competitions already being run on good tables.

At 150 baht an hour which is 3 quid is outrageous and more expensive than the UK not sure they will make it

anytime you fancy a game maybe I will take you to school

UP TO YOU :o

Glad to have amused you FC :D I was just jestin about the bar girls!

So educate me; where are the good tables in Chiang Mai? Where do the "very best" of Chiang Mai's players play? Where are the competitions already being played on good tables played?

My biggest gripe with the snooker-esque pool tables in Chiang Mai is the balls. Absolutely no weight to them whatsoever. Like playing with ping pong balls.

If you think 3 quid an hour is more expensive than the UK... when was the last time you were in the UK??!! When I left (2 years ago) an hour at the Riley in Scotland was at least £6/hour and you'd be very lucky to get a game in a pub for 50p - more often than not it was £1. My mate lives in Guilford and it's £12/hour at Riley.

Anyway, each to their own. I prefer high quality american tables with big balls and big pockets, you prefer thai tables with small balls and small pockets.

As for you taking me to school... I'm ready when you are! But the lack of punctuation in your previous post would suggest that perhaps it's you that needs to go to school :D

Glad to have amused you FC :o I was just jestin about the bar girls!

I have been known to play with Bar Girls but thats not important right now :D

So educate me; where are the good tables in Chiang Mai? Where do the "very best" of Chiang Mai's players play? Where are the competitions already being played on good tables played?

The best players play at Blue Sky Bar on the moat just up from Mad Dog the tables there are decent although not top knotch by any means but acceptable, Competitions are held every sat evening starting at 9pm (8 Ball) Ladies tournament on sundays and a 9 ball tournament on tuesdays.

If you think 3 quid an hour is more expensive than the UK... when was the last time you were in the UK??!! When I left (2 years ago) an hour at the Riley in Scotland was at least £6/hour and you'd be very lucky to get a game in a pub for 50p - more often than not it was £1. My mate lives in Guilford and it's £12/hour at Riley.

Fair comment cant say I have been there lately but 150 an hour here is on the very high side considering pool is free in 99% of the bars in chiang mai

Anyway, each to their own. I prefer high quality american tables with big balls and big pockets, you prefer thai tables with small balls and small pockets.

I can play on any table just that when you play on the snooker tables when you change to the big pocket tables its just very easy as the pockets are so big and the table allows for inaccurate play and the ball still goes in, on the small pocket tables you have to be spot on.

I agree most Bars SHOULD have the big pocket tables instead of the snooker tables as most punters are not good players this allows for quicker games as any player can get the balls in easier and games are over quickly if they are charging per game as in BKK this makes more sense.

As for you taking me to school... I'm ready when you are! But the lack of punctuation in your previous post would suggest that perhaps it's you that needs to go to school :D

As to punctuation CAN'T BE ARSED to worry bout that crap I will allow the Spelling and punctuation police here on TV (presume you are a one of em) to rip me apart and I shan't lose any sleep over it

As for the challenge I think it should be two pronged on both the big and small tables best of 9 frames. You choose the big venue I choose the small venue

Name the time and place

P.S heading out on a Bike trip today till friday so anytime after that

Edited by FarangCravings

The best players play at Blue Sky Bar on the moat just up from Mad Dog the tables there are decent although not top knotch by any means but acceptable,

There are some very good players in that bar. The tables are ok by CM standards.

My biggest gripe with the snooker-esque pool tables in Chiang Mai is the balls. Absolutely no weight to them whatsoever. Like playing with ping pong balls

Correct. Try playing long distance screw shots - very difficult indeed.

however a good player can adapt to any table and ajust his play within a few minutes and to say playing is a chore shows you probably are not skilled in the game enough to play on what is basically a snooker table and it requires way more skill to play on those tables and actually get the ball in the pocket instead of it hitting the cush 3/4 down and still going in on the bucket tables you like so much

It is not a question of not being skilled - it is more that a different skill is required. Snooker is about precision: pool is about playing with controlled power.

Playing pool on a snooker table is just crap for those of us who have got used to American tables. Pool requires aggression you just cannot put into your play on a snooker table. Having bigger pockets enables the player to play positional shots that are impossible on tables with small pockets. There's absolutely no fun in playing a deepscrew to try to develop balls, for instance, only for the object ball to wobble in the jaws. You can either play for pot or position - it is usually not possible to do both. Playing pool on a snooker table is more akin to playing shove ha'penny - slow, boring, frustrating, irritating.

There is also absolutely no chance a "good player can adjust his play within a few minutes". No chance whatsoever. The players in BSB have been playing on such tables for years.

And if they will use international rules for 9 ball and eight ball instead of the "locally modified" rules which allow chicken s**t legal hits and safeties the cream will rise to the top.

I remember being absolutely stunned at the rules they play in CM. It was embarrassing. Games lasted 30 minutes, and that was with good players! Go for a pot if you can't play a safety/snooker...it's just so wrong. The rules they use discourage positive, attacking play, and hence leads to slow, tactical games. I'd rather watch paint dry.

There are a lot of really good players in CM. There's no doubt they'll take to American tables if they give them a chance. I know I did. Either way, they MUST change the rules they play up there.