Condo = Visa?

Hi,

Something i've never heard of before, but is there any truth to the scenario that ownership of a condominium can in some way furnish the owner with a Non Imm visa?

Regards,

Yes I was offered a business visa since I owned a BKK condo cost more than 6m Bahts. But I chose the retirement visa since it asked for less paperwork.

The condo must be worth 3mil +. If my info is correct, it must also be in a brand new development.

That is correct.

And would that also apply to building a new house or buying a newly-built house?

No, because foreigners cannot own land, so the house would not be in your name.

Thanks, Zovox - should have spotted that point for myself! :o

The condo must be worth 3mil +. If my info is correct, it must also be in a brand new development.

That is correct.

And would that also apply to building a new house or buying a newly-built house?

I was under the impression you could own the building but not the land, whats the difference between owning a condo and a house, if they are built on land you don't own?

In the UK you can have a freehold house (own the land) or a leasehold house (don't own the land)

It has probably been posted before but can a farang lease land???

Edited by andyadam

That is correct.

I was under the impression you could own the building but not the land, whats the difference between owning a condo and a house, if they are built on land you don't own?

In the UK you can have a freehold house (own the land) or a leasehold house (don't own the land)

It has probably been posted before but can a farang lease land???

Yes, you can split the land and the building on it, and own the building. But this is not widely done, as i believe there are problems when coming to sell the property. How such ownership is considered for the purposes of the visa, i'm not sure, but best to take legal advice from a lawyer before doing this.

Thanks,

Where can i read up on the exact details/amounts as i'm in the middle of a new condo development purchase. Cheers.

Go to www.thaiimigration.com

Had a go at the above link, but the only figure i could find related to property was 10m Baht.....so in light of whats been posted by others (3m+, 6m, etc.) can anyone give a definitive figure???

Rgds,

Edited by kir

Thanks,

Where can i read up on the exact details/amounts as i'm in the middle of a new condo development purchase. Cheers.

Go to www.thaiimigration.com

Had a go at the above link, but the only figure i could find related to property was 10m Baht.....so in light of whats been posted by others (3m+, 6m, etc.) can anyone give a definitive figure???

Rgds,

It's 3m or more.

3 million or more is the correct figure. You had better do it while you can though.

A friend I know in real estate said the government may discontinue it. They started it to spur investment, not to help us get long term visas, so when bussiness is good, they may stop it. When who knows. Try this link My Webpage

Pol. Col. Chalermpong is the man who originally gave me the information.

If this link doesn't give you what you need, go to Suan Plu immigration and and talk to him in person.

You can also type '3 million baht visa' into the search box here or go back in this topic area to post "3-mil Baht Investment Visa, is it a good choice?"

Edited by mbkudu