Pad Resuming Protest? What Are The Chances?

Hey just a quick question on your educated guesses/opinions. What do you think are the chances that PAD will resume their airport protests in the next few weeks? I've been hearing on various news sources that PAD were saying they may come back to block of airport operations if a government were formed with the old members under a different name.

This will cause havoc anew. Lets hope 250,000 tourists can get out of there before anything serious happens again. As for me... my trip is screwed this year. My airline does not have any seats and all other airlines flying from my region cost too much for my wallet. :S Guess I will just go for Songkran! :o

Let me hear your opinions!

Regards,

Martin

(uneducated opinion warning!) I remember living in Bangkok, and everytime there's a coup, I'll have to try and explain to friends abroad that no, it's not the kind of coup their mind conjures, not the latin american types. At least to my sheltered self, it's usually not a melodramatic process, it's not people going out and fighting for some falsified image of glory, it's kinda like swapping the hard drive on your computer.

I'd venture to say that today's Thailand has shifted somewhat from the Thailand I knew and used to live in. People have become increasingly agitated over local politics, undoubtedly spurred on by the media and what some people try to sell as progress (blind leading the blind?), that they're going to feel the need to fight over these things.

My trip was going to be in two weeks' time, I got my visa right before the protestors went to swampy, and I cancelled my hotel booking right before they decided they're going to get out. It's just bad luck on my part, and my bad mood will color my opinion... but I think the situation will just keep on being unstable for a while yet. My airline ticket's not cancelled, so I could go if I wanted to, but you know, it's not the same Thailand I remember. I too will probably have to settle for Songkran or later, and pay those crap cancellation fees.

Edited by mezzoninny

Now might be the time to come and support the Thai People working in the Tourist Industry. Certainly might be easy to book a room.

Why would anyone come just to do that , it is not like so many give class 'A' service or something , better to support the services in ones own country at this time , to ensure they will still be there next week

I actually believe in spending money intently to help other people, e.g. I would pay the full price instead of seeking discounts, if I feel I've been given good service at a more expensive place. I do that on a regular basis, and I wouldn't hesitate to do that for Thailand.

The problem is that right now, living outside of Thailand, I don't have enough of a grasp on the situation. For one, I don't know what's available right now, if there are supposedly still so many visitors stuck in Bangkok. I probably won't even be fired if I get stuck (lucky me), but I wouldn't want to be caught up trying to run off to BITEC or what not, wait in lines to check-in, and rip a hole out of my travel budget for the rest of the year.

If you feel you can comment on my adolescent worries, why not chime in, because I do want my holiday, and I'm not happy about the uncertainty and how everyone's going to treat my cancellation as my own initiative. The airline's not exactly giving me my money back :o

Just my opinion.

I read in the Post (take it with a grain of salt) that the PAD did not completely vacate Suvarnabhumi. There is supposedly a small contingent sticking around to see the results of the election. If they don't like the new PM, which is very likely, they could head straight back for more of the same. Next week should be interesting.

Has this increased the chances of the PAD coming back ?

Pojaman Is Landing In Bangkok Tonight, Ex-wife of Thaksin to return home Friday night

I don't think so, but I think it will depend on todays decision on who the new PM will be! :o

I haven't read anywhere of the PAD threatening to re-take the airport if they aren't too chuffed about the new PM - just reads like a bit of scare-mongering.

Actually, the PAD would have to re-group and everything first before they could do even think of doing something damaging again. The near future for Bangkok and the tourism situation is sure to be calm - but, in the long-run, who knows?