Pedestrian Crossings/motor Cycle

southern1

Hello everyone,

can any of you please tell me if, pedestrian crossings in Bangkok, are safe to use,is there a right or wrong way to cross.

My friend here on holiday,was hit by a motor cycle while attempting to cross Silom on a painted erea that resembled a pedestrian crossing.The motor cyclist and his two adult helmetless passengers,after picking themselves up from the ground demanded,in broken English,cash compensation for their fall.My friend,not knowing at this time,his leg had received a compound fracture,told them in broken English, he was using a crossing and that the motor cycle should have given way.No said a policeman,who had arrived on the scene,this is Thailand not the same as your country,you must pay three thousand baht,one thousand baht to each person on the motor cycle.Protesting my friend payed and then went to a hospital, after x rays were taken was told the news.BE WARNED........

Season greetings and a very happy new year to you all.

Hello everyone,

can any of you please tell me if, pedestrian crossings in Bangkok, are safe to use,is there a right or wrong way to cross.

My friend here on holiday,was hit by a motor cycle while attempting to cross Silom on a painted erea that resembled a pedestrian crossing.The motor cyclist and his two adult helmetless passengers,after picking themselves up from the ground demanded,in broken English,cash compensation for their fall.My friend,not knowing at this time,his leg had received a compound fracture,told them in broken English, he was using a crossing and that the motor cycle should have given way.No said a policeman,who had arrived on the scene,this is Thailand not the same as your country,you must pay three thousand baht,one thousand baht to each person on the motor cycle.Protesting my friend payed and then went to a hospital, after x rays were taken was told the news.BE WARNED........

Whether it is 'legal' or not, my experience is that the biggest object gets the right of way. Pedestrians are the the bottem of the food chain.

The safest way to cross a Bangkok street is to be in the middle of a pack of school children or old ladies.

I am sorry this happened to your friend.

Seems, I am one of the very few who actually stops for pedestrians at the zebra-crossings. The local pedestrians are always utmost suprised and don't trust me.

The tourist keep their heads up in the sky, ignoring anybody in or on a vehicle and the drivers behind me get upset that I stop without reason or do hit my car.

if you cannot cross at a set of traffic lights or over a skybridge and do not possess the speed and agility of a startled gazelle the zebra crossing must be braved.

what you do is wait at the crossing until you have a few hardy souls for company ready for the treacherous ordeal and then the person who is closest to the oncoming traffic should start to edge out into the closest lane. As you start to take up the first lane doing your penguin bunch style the cars will veer around you at speed - do not move quickly, the drivers will be trying to avoid hitting you. You continue this technique one lane at a time until you reach the middle. At the middle , still your beating heart and the person who is at the side closest to the oncoming traffic will repeat the manouvre started at the beginning until you have crossed the road. Take advantage of any gaps (if any) in the traffic to rapidly cross.

once you feel you have this down pat - head out to some of the crossings at sapham mai to refine your technique. :D

when you feel you are skilled enough to utilise finesse , you can try the ' sell them the dummy strategem ' . this is best used at the start of the secondary trek from the median strip to the finish. When you are in the middle you look at the driver and pretend you are just going to walk out in front of them , this should cause them to brake hastily while screaming 'fareng bah' at you , but then when they have stopped you may now advance one lane. :o:D

Pedestrian crossings/zebra crossings are just "mere decoration" in Thailand. No one has any respect for them unlike other non-Asian countries.

They just do not stop for you here and its always "me first". Flashing of their headlights here mean "get the ###### out of the way, I want to go first" and not at all an indication of "after you or you first" like in Europe.

Bummer! :o

if you cannot cross at a set of traffic lights or over a skybridge and do not possess the speed and agility of a startled gazelle the zebra crossing must be braved.

what you do is wait at the crossing until you have a few hardy souls for company ready for the treacherous ordeal and then the person who is closest to the oncoming traffic should start to edge out into the closest lane. As you start to take up the first lane doing your penguin bunch style the cars will veer around you at speed - do not move quickly, the drivers will be trying to avoid hitting you. You continue this technique one lane at a time until you reach the middle. At the middle , still your beating heart and the person who is at the side closest to the oncoming traffic will repeat the manouvre started at the beginning until you have crossed the road. Take advantage of any gaps (if any) in the traffic to rapidly cross.

once you feel you have this down pat - head out to some of the crossings at sapham mai to refine your technique. :D

when you feel you are skilled enough to utilise finesse , you can try the ' sell them the dummy strategem ' . this is best used at the start of the secondary trek from the median strip to the finish. When you are in the middle you look at the driver and pretend you are just going to walk out in front of them , this should cause them to brake hastily while screaming 'fareng bah' at you , but then when they have stopped you may now advance one lane. :o  :D

Some other points to remember. Remain perfectly erect (body in an upright position) while crossing. Never lean forward to look beyond the person by your side that is acting as your human shield. You should always select a shield that is shoulder height or less anyway. Leaning forward without protective head wear can result in contact with oncoming vehicles.

At the same time, do not lean back either thereby exposing your toes to become integrated with the road surfacing material. Vehicular tyres cannot differentiate toes from frogs, ground lizards or snakes.

If one is sporting an enlarged midrift (or excessive stomache muscle/spare tyre etc) then caution should remain in the forefront of one's mind as this liquid storage area can be rendered useless simply by a solidly mounted wing mirror.

Sorry to hear this. Such humiliation. :o

I can't believe it happened in Silom area. This's one of the busiest areas in Bangkok with loads of tourists. Bloody h3ll.

To assure you, of course, your mate was scammed. First of all, only one passenger is legally allowed on a motorbike. Helmetless is another thing. And hit your mate. Your motorbike #@^%&* should be fined for those.

The cop was a %!@#$&* too. So, you may want to try this one.

http://www.police.go.th/cpl/cpl_jaray.html

No need to fill in all your contact details - even though all information is strictly confidential (as they state). Maybe only email address.

In the last box, give them all details of the accident. Where, when, how, who, why. Everything. At least, it's a start.

Drivers in bangkok treat pedestrians just like other cars; it's basically who's there first. I find you have to be very forceful with drivers, and sticking out hands indicating you want to cross works great. If they still don't stop, then bash their bonnets - that works great ! It also helps if you are built like 'shit brick'.

Thanks for the information LC. It is very important for non-Thais to know these things, but most of the time we have no way of knowing.

I am not surprised that the cop assisted in the extortion. This is common-place. He most-likely got a cut of the money. I don't even know the tourist, but this kind of incident makes my blood boil. It is deeply unjust to hit someone with a vehicle, and then demand compensation. But here, the cop assists and they demand more than double from a non-Thai!

This is really upsetting, but, they don't only take advantage of foreigners. We are the most obvious targets, but Thais are also victims. When is enough going to be enough?

Edited by kat

Hello everyone,

/quote]

The safest way to cross a Bangkok street is to be in the middle of a pack of school children or old ladies.

Good opportunity to market inflatable schoolkids for pedestrian tourists.

Drivers in bangkok treat pedestrians just like other cars; it's basically who's there first. I find you have to be very forceful with drivers, and sticking out hands indicating you want to cross works great. If they still don't stop, then bash their bonnets - that works great !

If they complain then tower over them and say "You ran me over, I will call the police"

It also helps if you are built like 'shit brick'.

My approach exactly.

I glare at the oncoming drivers as well to add to the point.

I like to stop for pedestrians, but since it is not normal for cars to do that, I always look behind me... If there is a car behind me, I don't stop...

I feel sorry for pedestrians, but I'm not willing to confuse other drivers by going against the rules of the road... Unlike California, where even jaywalkers have rights over cars once they've stepped onto the street, Thailand pedestrians have zero juice...

.My friend,not knowing at this time,his leg had received a compound fracture,

Excuse me?!?!?

A compound fracture is defined as a fracture in which the broken bone is sticking through the skin. Also called an open fracture.

And he did not notice he had one!

Smacks of major trolling here.

Maybe he meant to write "compression fracture"; an entirely different animal.

.My friend,not knowing at this time,his leg had received a compound fracture,

Excuse me?!?!?

A compound fracture is defined as a fracture in which the broken bone is sticking through the skin. Also called an open fracture.

And he did not notice he had one!

Smacks of major trolling here.

I expect he confused it with one of those multiple fractures, p1p; when the bone is broken in many places.

Sad truth in Muang Thai is, whether the farang is driving and gets hit by another vehicle or the farang gets run over, their mentality is that if the farang wasn't there it wouldn't have happened. I love Thailand, but sometimes their thinking needs to be moved on a century or so.

Sad truth in Muang Thai is, whether the farang is driving and gets hit by another vehicle or the farang gets run over, their mentality is that if the farang wasn't there it wouldn't have happened. I love Thailand, but sometimes their thinking needs to be moved on a century or so

Frankly, I've had a number of dealings over the years with police, and I have never found that kind of atitude in my cases... Though I certainly would agree that their general thinking needs serious updating. :D

Maybe it suggests more that it's almost impossible to know how any authorities may act here in any given situation. Personally, I find that big question to be more disconcerting than knowing what's going to happen, either way.... In my cases, I may have simply been very lucky- and I can accept that.

Reminds me of the Wild Wild West in so many ways. :D

All part of the challenge of living here without going bananas :o

Ped Xing in Bangkok? You're Alice in Wonderland.

Bangkok is a jungle and the law of the jungle applies.

That law says, the biggest gorrila wins. 10 wheelers and above, that includes buses, move out of the way.

Next, smaller trucks.

After that, cars in general.

Next, motorcycles. Bicycles are next

and last and least are pedestrians.

If you think crosswalks ae going to make any difference in whether you get your ass ran over or not, close your eyes and walk across the street in the middle of a cross walk.

But before you do, please name me as a beneficiary on your life insurance policy.

Edited by Thaigrr

There's a pedestrian crossing near the Villa supermarket on Sukhumvit road - about soi 33. Many's the time I've risked life and limb trying to get across 6 lanes of "me first" loonies. I used to wait until there was a gang of us waiting to cross - but I nearly always waited for someone else to go first. The alternative was to wait for a traffic jam and weave through all the traffic (that stopped right on the crossing of course).

As far as third world countries are concerned, Thailand is not too bad in the traffic department. At least here, you don't have people throwing themselves in front of your car in order to collect money.

If you want to see real mayhem on the road, go to China, India or just about any African country (or Italy).

TH

Thanks to all of you for your kind and contructive advice.

Sorry I'm not so sure of what "trolling" acutely means, I can only assume it means Lying!

When I used the term "compound fractur"not being medically minded, I may well have misunderstood what it was my friend told me about his injury.Next time if something unfortunate happens to any one I know,I will get them, to give me, the exact details in writing of their medical condition, that way no mistakes.By the way his leg was broken in two places.Sorry for being human.

Thanks to all of you for your kind and contructive advice.

Sorry I'm not so sure of what "trolling" acutely means, I can only assume it means Lying!

When I used the term "compound fractur"not being medically minded, I may well have misunderstood what it was my friend told me about his injury.Next time if something unfortunate happens to any one I know,I will get them, to give me, the exact details in writing of their medical condition, that way no mistakes.By the way his leg was broken in two places.Sorry for being human.

Sorry southern1 - there are a lot of suspicious people on this forum :o . A troll is a person who "makes posts that are solely intended to provoke responses from others, or to cause annoyance or offense."

Some people thought that your story was so unlikely that you were a troll. This is a problem for many newbies who have genuine but strange stories to tell.

As in most asian countries, you pick your gap and walk slowly across the road, dont stop and dont run.....that way they can anticipate your movements.

This can also be done on a lane by lane action, pick your gap for the first lane and then the second lane and so on.

But where possible always use pedestrain bridges or traffic lights remembering that in Thailand traffic can turn left at any time, even on a red light.

and some eye contact with the drivers might be helpful to read each others intentions.

But every year around this time I see tourists crossing blind, really believing the zebra-crossing is the same as back home.

I remember the first time that i came to live in BKK. I was going to work in Bang Sue and was going to cross the road near my school. It was a zebra crossing. So this car looked as if it was gonna stop. So i started to cross with caution. Just at that point the ######er sped up. i was so close that i banged my hand down on his windscreen. Fukcing shit myself. ######r! So now i just make a dash for it when i'm crossing the road in BKK. I try not to cross at that crossing in Bang Sue. Its fukcing mental. I'm surprised that none of the kids have been killed. Touch wood it never happens.

I think the law is that they are supposed to stop!