Govt To Issue Guidelines For Coping With Teenagers

george

Govt to issue guidelines for coping with teenagers

BANGKOK: -- The government plans to issue an official “parents handbook” to be used as guidelines for children who are at risk of becoming juvenile delinquents.

The government is taking this action to help curb the growing problems of of juvenile delinquency.

The handbooks, due to be published and distributed in a month's time, are intended to help parents to deal with their unruly teenagers, Social Development and Human Security Minister Sora-at Klinpratoom said on Wednesday.

The handbooks are part of the government's overall strategy to reduce juvenile delinquency.

This also includes the existing 1507 call-centre service for parents seeking immediate advice on problems, including teenage addiction to alcohol, cigarettes and online games.

The government is also planning to launch a series of nation-wide campaigns to promote awareness among the country’s youths of the dangers of addictive substances.

The government also plans to impose stricter controls on computor game shops which open 24 hours to ensure minors are not served after 10 p.m.

--TNA 2004-12-16

I'd be most interested in finding out specifically what the Government recommends in their handbook. What parenting strategies are advocated? Where to obtain a copy of it for translation?

Actually, it's certainly a step in the right direction, provided, of course, that their recommendations are sound. It's also a practical method of disseminating information via a booklet as well as their dedicated call center service phone line.

Certainly it's no easy task as teen-ager rearing is EXTREMELY difficult and complicated, no matter what the cultural upbringing. Certainly, Western societies are no better off in this regard. Juvenile delinquency is an international problem. I applaude any effort, by any government, to at least face it.

I'm the first to oppose any Draconian laws. Good grief Thailand has enough of those, but far too many to list here. Having said that, sending the kids out of the computer shops at 10pm is reasonable. As a former Internet Cafe devotee, I've been dismayed to see youngsters still sitting in front of monitors at midnight on a school night. If they were doing research for a school project on the Net, I'd say, "go for it", but they're not. They're doing nothing constructive enough to justify the late hours.

I have to chuckle with fourbaht's assessment. Anyone who reads my posts must know my feelings about the current government. I would add to his line that we're still waiting out the expired 30 day deadline to eliminate bird flu. I certainly hope that this topic reaches a better degree of success than that one as it's an important one.

I'd be most interested in finding out specifically what the Government recommends in their handbook. What parenting strategies are advocated? Where to obtain a copy of it for translation?

I'm pretty sure the government is recommending that parents buy a mobile phone with an expensive monthly service plan for each of their offspring, or perhaps even two phones per child! :o

I'm pretty sure the government is recommending that parents buy a mobile phone with an expensive monthly service plan for each of their offspring, or perhaps even two phones per child! :o

My cynical side would add that along with the governmental recommendation for subscribing to AIS... "as communication is important in dealing with a teen-ager". "Also, as importantly, is to expose your son/daughter to the educational benefits of watching the ITV channel."

My hopeful side simply wants the government to deal with the issue in an open and honest manner.

Perhaps the booklet could contain some tips on actually being a good parent and role model for the kids from day 1 !!

For example:

- ensure child in bed before midnight

- ensure child does not witness alcoholic abuse by either parent

- assist child when needed with schoolwork

- encourage child to read books

- dont smoke in front of child

- dont expose child to stories of male infidelity at massage joints

etc etc

Perhaps the booklet could contain some tips on actually being a good parent and role model for the kids from day 1  !!

For example:

- ensure child in bed before midnight

- ensure child does not witness alcoholic abuse by either parent

- assist child when needed with schoolwork

- encourage child to read books

- dont smoke in front of child

- dont expose child to stories of male infidelity at massage joints

etc etc

That would be commom sense advice followed by honorable persons. Most people can't define honor and commonly don't know a thing about common sense.