If You Ride A Motorbike, Why Dont You....

I am interested to know what the main reason is that expats on the island don't wear a crash helmet whilst riding a bike on Samui. Is it vanity, laziness, gets too hot, or whatever, I personally have no idea! I would imagine probably 90 per cent of regular contributors to this particular forum would know someone that has lost some one they know in a road related accident. If someone can shed some light on this, please let me know as it seems apparent that I am missing something.

I am interested to know what the main reason is that expats on the island don't wear a crash helmet whilst riding a bike on Samui. Is it vanity, laziness, gets too hot, or whatever, I personally have no idea! I would imagine probably 90 per cent of regular contributors to this particular forum would know someone that has lost some one they know in a road related accident. If someone can shed some light on this, please let me know as it seems apparent that I am missing something.

Expats= cool & invincible.

Drive slowly, nobody needs a helmet. That's just a bs like safety belts, airbags etc. What the hack those things helping us? Just that we can be faster?? There was a study ones in the us that all this crab is actually not helping us, it gives us just the feeling to be more safe and making us driving faster and more crazy. It is an illussion like all! Believe it or not it is up to you. But it should be also up to me if yes or not? They try again here on KPG like every 2-3 year to implement it with the police! Do you actually realize that Thais driving about with 30 km/h? Of coarse not all but the most! And you really think that those strange helmets people wearing, that this helps in the case of an accident? It is just another tool to manipulate people :D

It is just my personal view! I don't like it at all! I rather drive carefully and slowly and everybody should be able to choose by himself. I don't need somebody to tell me what to wear or not :o

Drive slowly, nobody needs a helmet. That's just a bs like safety belts, airbags etc. What the hack those things helping us? Just that we can be faster?? There was a study ones in the us that all this crab is actually not helping us, it gives us just the feeling to be more safe and making us driving faster and more crazy. It is an illussion like all! Believe it or not it is up to you. But it should be also up to me if yes or not? They try again here on KPG like every 2-3 year to implement it with the police! Do you actually realize that Thais driving about with 30 km/h? Of coarse not all but the most! And you really think that those strange helmets people wearing, that this helps in the case of an accident? It is just another tool to manipulate people :D

It is just my personal view! I don't like it at all! I rather drive carefully and slowly and everybody should be able to choose by himself. I don't need somebody to tell me what to wear or not :o

....and your serious aren't you? :D

I dont usually wear one if riding locally, BUT from now on i will, i was riding in Cambodia 3 weeks ago (with a helmet ) and a dog ran out and had me off, i was knocked out,had 2 cracked ribs, burst blood vessels in my leg,lacerations and a black eye, and a new $300 helmet was wrecked,. i had no time to react, from now on ill ALWAYS wear a helmet,.( another new one is on the way :o )

I almost always wear a helmet and personally am more prone to wearing them at low speeds (where they can hep)
You are correct, and its a fact that most accidents happen within 3 miles of your home, so ive decided to take no chances and park mine just over 3 miles away from my house and walk home. :o

There was a study done for bicycle riders, it seems that a fall without a helmet going as slow as 9km/hr could cause serious and permanent injury, even death. Saying that, I wear a helmet only when going for a "ride". Hopping on the bike for a couple of blocks, I guess I'm too lazy. No excuses, it is stupid...

There was a study done for bicycle riders, it seems that a fall without a helmet going as slow as 9km/hr could cause serious and permanent injury, even death. Saying that, I wear a helmet only when going for a "ride". Hopping on the bike for a couple of blocks, I guess I'm too lazy. No excuses, it is stupid...

Exactly ---- I used to do that. I prefer riding without a helmet and at 90 kmh + there is no way what I wear would help me. That being said I don't go without even at speed 99% of the time.

That's ridiculous! You might be a good safe rider/driver but there lots of other things which will get you. E.G Holes in flooded roads. Drunk and or incompetent

drivers knocking you off, Dogs and other animals etc etc. Once you have done your brain in because you weren't wearing a helmet it is the next of kin who will be suffering and faced with terrible decisions as you lie in a coma. Suggest you talk to the doctors in the hospital accident units. Since I have lived here I have known at least six motorbike accidents to farang which caused brain damage. all of them preventable had a helmet been worn.

many reasons :

-look similar to everyone.

-you don't want your hair to touch the helmet and break the hair dresser's work.

-wind is the cheapest head cooling system.

-your neck is painfull when you wear a helmet.

-helmet is smelling bad.

I can't believe this is a serious thread!?! I had a crash in Samui 2-3 years ago, going slowly, hit a hole in the road and smacked the road hard. Spent 3 days in hospital. Had I not been wearing a helmet it could have been much longer (or I could have been killed!!). Always wear a helmet even if it's a cheap one, it's better than nothing. Mine was a light weight helmet but conforming to European standards which I brought with me, I'm so glad I did.

Always wear a helmet for goodness sake.

i wear a full face helmet about 99% of the time, one day i was in a hurry and didnt do the strap up, the wind blew the helmet off and it bounced along the road. i picked it up and there were only a few small marks on it, it cost 250 baht from tesco and i was mighty impressed it didnt crack. now i always do the buckle up just in case, better to look like a pin head than be in hospital!! :o

in belgium until few years ago if you were driving a 2 wheel vehicule at less than 40km per hour(max speed of the vehicule), you didn't need a helmet as the speed isn't much higher in samui i guess a lot of people do the same as in belgium and maybe other european countries.

in belgium until few years ago if you were driving a 2 wheel vehicule at less than 40km per hour(max speed of the vehicule), you didn't need a helmet as the speed isn't much higher in samui i guess a lot of people do the same as in belgium and maybe other european countries.

The roads in Belgium are 100% different than Samui and the laws have changed. I think the 2 wheel rule was for bicycles.

I really don't think that the average Thai or Farang when setting off on the Honda without a helmet thinks...."well if it's Ok for the Walloons and Flems then it's fine with me". :o

The roads in Belgium are 100% different than Samui and the laws have changed. I think the 2 wheel rule was for bicycles.

I really don't think that the average Thai or Farang when setting off on the Honda without a helmet thinks...."well if it's Ok for the Walloons and Flems then it's fine with me". :o

this was good for motorcycle class "A" wich were supposed to go to 25km/H maximum but had an allowance until 40 kmp/h, the roads in thailand(main roads and at least on the mainland) are a lot better than in belgium, our roads do look more like gruyere(cheese) than something else.

speaking for myself only, i don't wear a helmet exept when i feel a police crackdown like in maenam at lunch time, it's true this is stupid, unsafe but this is my choice and i don't represent a danger on the road for unlike people who drive like if they were on a formula one circuit.

i let everyone bypass me and i don't hesitate to stop on the left side of the road to let the trucks and other "heavy wheight" of the roads follow their straight line.

this was good for motorcycle class "A" wich were supposed to go to 25km/H maximum but had an allowance until 40 kmp/h, the roads in thailand(main roads and at least on the mainland) are a lot better than in belgium, our roads do look more like gruyere(cheese) than something else.

speaking for myself only, i don't wear a helmet exept when i feel a police crackdown like in maenam at lunch time, it's true this is stupid, unsafe but this is my choice and i don't represent a danger on the road for unlike people who drive like if they were on a formula one circuit.

i let everyone bypass me and i don't hesitate to stop on the left side of the road to let the trucks and other "heavy wheight" of the roads follow their straight line.

I think its more about other people hitting you than maybe the way you drive. One cannot account for what others are going to do at any time. More so if they are under the influence