The Money Tree

mommysboy

Luckily, I'm immune from the global downturn as I have a money tree at the end of my garden. Things get a little tight I just have to wait till the wind blows a bit and go and pick up all those new crisp clean notes. Fivers, tenners, twenties, and in a bumper year I even get the odd fifty.

My friend doesn't have a money tree, but every year, usually around late December, the postman knocks on his door and presents him with the usual big brown package containing newly minted notes. Before taking his leave postie jovially says not to worry if he runs short in Thailand as their is plenty more where that came from.

The point to these absurd stories ??

Many Thais regard 'Farang' as having an inexhaustible supply of money. You'd be surprised that such a belief is not necessarily confined to the BGs. But surprisingly, in their arguments at least, some people on this board seem to have fallen for the same notion.

For example then: we get someone arguing that Thai tourism will bounce back. Perhaps a valid point had the recent troubles occurred in easier times. But, the overiding point is that many would be tourists simply can't afford to come, ie, the money tree went barren, postie won't come a knocking this year.

Look for yourself, and see how many times this simple error is made in all sorts of arguments- arguments that stand good at other times miss the financial imperative.

So at last in a posting I get to write those immortal words: 'Wake up smell the coffee' :o

minimum wage for thais in thailand is about 3k a month or so and for farang teachers its 30k a month

does that answer your question?

Luckily, I'm immune from the global downturn as I have a money tree at the end of my garden. Things get a little tight I just have to wait till the wind blows a bit and go and pick up all those new crisp clean notes. Fivers, tenners, twenties, and in a bumper year I even get the odd fifty.

My friend doesn't have a money tree, but every year, usually around late December, the postman knocks on his door and presents him with the usual big brown package containing newly minted notes. Before taking his leave postie jovially says not to worry if he runs short in Thailand as their is plenty more where that came from.

The point to these absurd stories ??

Many Thais regard 'Farang' as having an inexhaustible supply of money. You'd be surprised that such a belief is not necessarily confined to the BGs. But surprisingly, in their arguments at least, some people on this board seem to have fallen for the same notion.

For example then: we get someone arguing that Thai tourism will bounce back. Perhaps a valid point had the recent troubles occurred in easier times. But, the overiding point is that many would be tourists simply can't afford to come, ie, the money tree went barren, postie won't come a knocking this year.

Look for yourself, and see how many times this simple error is made in all sorts of arguments- arguments that stand good at other times miss the financial imperative.

So at last in a posting I get to write those immortal words: 'Wake up smell the coffee' :o

minimum wage for thais in thailand is about 3k a month or so and for farang teachers its 30k a month

does that answer your question?

Well, No Dave.

Care to elaborate.

People seem to forget who controls the money tree. If you have a mate who thinks there is no bottom in the well, whose fault is that? My well is certainly not bottomless but I happen to control how much I draw out of the well. Some people should look for a new mate.

People seem to forget who controls the money tree. If you have a mate who thinks there is no bottom in the well, whose fault is that? My well is certainly not bottomless but I happen to control how much I draw out of the well. Some people should look for a new mate.

This is getting near the point I was trying to make. To go back to the original posting:

"Many Thais regard 'Farang' as having an inexhaustible supply of money. You'd be surprised that such a belief is not necessarily confined to the BGs. But surprisingly, in their arguments at least, some people on this board seem to have fallen for the same notion."

Next year is going to be very challenging. It's all about what people can afford. Not a lot, is my contention.

Right on! Anyone who allows a person who doesn't understand the words budget, living within your means and save for the future, free access to their funds deserves to be "taken to the cleaners" by their Thai honey. From the beginning I made it clear to my now Thai wife that she will not have free access to my money (which was made prior to our meeting), I am not the answer to any family financial problems and I will not support a life of luxury, even if I have the funds to do so.....I don't believe in it. I told her not to marry me if she can't understand and agree to all of that.

Well, 8 years later we are still married, are financially sound (even after me being unemployed in US for 6 months now and making mortgage payments etc.) and live a comfortable life, having everything we NEED and some of what we WANT. Gotta know the difference between needs and wants.

The success of this started from the beginning....had a agreement with family that if the wedding ceremony yielded less than 100,000 Baht from the guests......the family would refund from the Sin Sod half the difference of the shortage of 100,000 and if it were more than 100,000 we would give family half the difference (share in the feast or famine). It came in at about 70,000 and I told my wife she had 24 hours to get my 15,000 from the family. Although she wanted to let it go, I did not and received my money......setting the standard with her and the family that I stick to my agreements and will not be a "financial pushover". Agreements are agreements and they are made on the honor of a person, family or group.......hold them (wife, family and yourself) to their word from the beginning and you won't have a problem of running out of money, provided you know how and have the stomach to say no.

Regards,

Martian

edited grammar

Edited by Martian

Right on! Anyone who allows a person who doesn't understand the words budget, living within your means and save for the future, free access to their funds deserves to be "taken to the cleaners" by their Thai honey. From the beginning I made it clear to my now Thai wife that she will not have free access to my money (which was made prior to our meeting), I am not the answer to any family financial problems and I will not support a life of luxury, even if I have the funds to do so.....I don't believe in it. I told her not to marry me if she can't understand and agree to all of that.

Well, 8 years later we are still married, are financially sound (even after me being unemployed in US for 6 months now and making mortgage payments etc.) and live a comfortable life, having everything we NEED and some of what we WANT. Gotta know the difference between needs and wants.

The success of this started from the beginning....had a agreement with family that if the wedding ceremony yielded less than 100,000 Baht from the guests......the family would refund from the Sin Sod half the difference of the shortage of 100,000 and if it were more than 100,000 we would give family half the difference (share in the feast or famine). It came in at about 70,000 and I told my wife she had 24 hours to get my 15,000 from the family. Although she wanted to let it go, I did not and received my money......setting the standard with her and the family that I stick to my agreements and will not be a "financial pushover". Agreements are agreements and they are made on the honor of a person, family or group.......hold them (wife, family and yourself) to their word from the beginning and you won't have a problem of running out of money, provided you know how and have the stomach to say no.

Regards,

Martian

edited grammar

Just so I have the maths right on this are you saying you managed to buy your wife for 15,000 baht - if so you clearly made a good deal.

What's new is that for every stranded tourist - will go home & tell 10 friends

NEVER EVER GO TO THAILAND FOR ANY REASON

a mob can close down the airport (illegally) for weeks on end. Pathetic.

:o

My wife says that . . . about the UK.

The success of this started from the beginning....had a agreement with family that if the wedding ceremony yielded less than 100,000 Baht from the guests......the family would refund from the Sin Sod half the difference of the shortage of 100,000 and if it were more than 100,000 we would give family half the difference (share in the feast or famine). It came in at about 70,000 and I told my wife she had 24 hours to get my 15,000 from the family. Although she wanted to let it go, I did not and received my money......setting the standard with her and the family that I stick to my agreements and will not be a "financial pushover". Agreements are agreements and they are made on the honor of a person, family or group.......hold them (wife, family and yourself) to their word from the beginning and you won't have a problem of running out of money, provided you know and have the stomach to say no.

Regards,

Martian

The problem is Martian, we have one in ten who think that way. They have done it to them selves and blame a system they didnt understand in the first place.

Hello Orac,

If your comment was meant to degrade my wife's and mine's true relationship...it is not welcome and you are way off of the true facts and ignorant. My Sin Sod, since I called it that was primarily spent on the wedding expenses and really not much was left over. As well your math isn't correct because you don't know the difference between the Sin Sod and the gift money from the guests at the wedding. The "refund" was based upon the wedding receipts, not the Sin Sod.

If your comment was not intended to insult....never mind..but your math is still wrong and I didn't purchase my wife, our union is one of love and respect. My wife had the chance to marry a long-time Thai boyfriend and didn't do so because he didn't respect her family. She then met me and I respected her family from the beginning and we fell in love and are still happily married after 8 years.....more than can be said about many others who have married due to "purchase" or "love" before us or after us.

Not all farang and Thai relationships are about money grubbing. In fact, most men the world over are in denial that in one way or another, if you want to analyze things in a cold pure way.........they pay for sex and a wife but it is just in more subtle and socially acceptable ways.

My wife's and mine's relationship is about love and respect, even if we did respect the cultural traditions.

Regards,

Martian

edited grammar

Edited by Martian

Yes Peterpan,

Its is a lot about the case of I am the victim even though I failed to control things I could have controlled. Must have been someone else's fault, not my own mentality. Those people are doomed to being victims and go on blaming everyone else.

Lack of personal accountability, same old story.

Regards,

Martian

Hello Orac,

If your comment was meant to degrade my wife's and mine's true relationship...it is not welcome and you are way off of the true facts and ignorant. My Sin Sod, since I called it that was primarily spent on the wedding expenses and really not much was left over. As well your math isn't correct because you don't know the difference between the Sin Sod and the gift money from the guests at the wedding. The "refund" was based upon the wedding receipts, not the Sin Sod.

If your comment was not intended to insult....never mind..but your math is still wrong and I didn't purchase my wife, our union is one of love and respect. My wife had the chance to marry a long-time Thai boyfriend and didn't do so because he didn't respect her family. She then met me and I respected her family from the beginning and we fell in love and are still happily married after 8 years.....more than can be said about many others who have married due to "purchase" or "love" before us or after us.

Not all farang and Thai relationships are about money grubbing. In fact, most men the world over are in denial that in one way or another, if you want to analyze things in a cold pure way.........they pay for sex and a wife but it is just in more subtle and socially acceptable ways.

My wife's and mine's relationship is about love and respect, even if we did respect the cultural traditions.

Regards,

Martian

edited grammar

Martian,

Please accept my apologies for what was a very sarcastic comment that I should not have made. My comment was based on the fact that the financial transaction of your marriage was so important to you however, in hindsight and since this is the very subject of the topic, I posted too quickly without thought.

Once again my humble apologies for any offence I caused.

Orac

Regards,

Martian

edited grammar

Very well put. Especially for a Martian who has grasped this all to well :D

My current g/f decided to make the running for me. As it happened, one of her friends knew a good Thai friend of mine and it led on from there.

She was told in advance that I do not have a money tree or a mattress stuffed with £ notes and I would not fund her and the family. If she still wanted to make the running then I let it be known I would be happy to meet her.

All is OK so far. She still works 7 days a week and - surprisingly - I find out that she despises women who go to the bar / pub looking for a free night out from a foreigner or Thai male, telling me she thinks they should work for a living.

The g/f asked for a motorcycle. She cited her need to get to work and back. The need to go and see her parents and her baby on a weekend and to go to school [college]. She reasoned it would be cheaper and easier than me taking her in the car. I bought the motorcycle but have it in my name - as we agreed. She is more than happy.

When I try to give her money - as I do once a week for petrol, phone and other incidentals - it is a struggle to get her to accept it. Yet I do know she has to give her mother enough of her own wage each month to pay for upkeep for the baby.

Her mother is a different kettle of fish entirely. I am led to understand from the g/f cousin the mother has said that if I give the g/f 2 Baht of gold for her neck, her wrist and her finger ( 6 baht in total ) then she can move in with me. The g/f told me, 'no problem. I already live with you'. And she laughed.

On requesting a ring for her finger while I am back in the UK for 5 weeks, I listened to her argument in favour of that too. She will be working at the sugar factory and wants everyone to see she has a man in her life. Stops her getting pestered. 3,500 baht for the ring. Her mother pulled a face and complained about it being too cheap but the g/f told her she was more than happy.

Friends who have tried to 'freeload' have been stopped from coming out on a night, by the g/f, unless they go 'American Share' after some started taking the p*ss with ordering food they could not eat and drinks they would not normally have etc.

She pays her own way in life in most instances but there are times when, as a couple in a relationship, you buy some things. Yet it is the way these purchases are made and why that really counts. As has been said, there is a difference between need and want.

The g/f also understands now that there is a Thai price and a Farang price all too often. When we go to the market or shops she insists on Thai price and I let her do the haggling :o

This one seems a gem in most respects.

Yes, I have been there before and made mistakes with ladies thinking they can bring a load of mates along and freeload, ladies asking for fridges, freezers, beds and heaven knows what for all and sundry. You pay land, you buy house etc. You pay for school, hospital. The list can be endless and not one of them has been a bar girl.

They have all been given the heave-ho.

Setting the agenda from the start does help. Then, I feel, both parties understand each other better and live happier for it.

And I hope my current g/f lasts as long as Martian's and in the same way.

Just my twopennorth :D

So far it seems that thailand does not see the need to reduce prices to aid tourism.

If tourist numbers are halved next year, then prices must be doubled in order to obtain the same income.

Simple mathematics.

Then halve that the following year ? Already many are leaving LAL (laugh a little)Thailand for destinations giving better value for their diminishing dollar(Baht) and easier to live conditions , where is the simple math for " You ain't got no customers "?

who offers better value than thailand. where r these tourist going?

u think people who live here long time going to leave just coz airport shut down for a week. god help us all

Keep praying , many neighbours offer better value for the hard earned buck , they also have a welcome mat , no surly immigration officials , easy visa attainment , and many other attributes tunnel vision people such as yourself fail to see , it is the overall package people are interested in , especially when there are not so many 'Die hard wanabee natives ' such as you most apparently are . You appear to be too lame-brained to see the broader aspect because of your Tunnel 'vision and thinking , as has been said before "Wake up and smell the coffee " , there is an accumulation of petty problems expats live with , the aiport closure and visa changes are just the straw finaly breaking the camels back .

Go on , ask the obviouse question "how the heck would you know ? " Well , for the benefit of the unenlightened , despite the fact i spent several years in Thailand that i enjoyed , many people have e-mailed me from this and other forums for a run down on Cambodia and cost of living and all the other pertinant information a concerned expat/tourist would be interested in , primarily because i try to present an unbiased opinion as to how it has affected me personally .I do not tell lies because i have a poor memory , i have helped a number of people to relocate including expats who have thanked me for my assistance and there are several still in 'Interim mode ' . May i suggest you change your way of thinking and somewhat degredation of people in what you communcate on Tv , you are actually an instagator in some peoples exodus , think about it if your attention span can last more than a few biased seconds .

my deer friend

have u ever thought that these neighbor countries r open to foreigners becoz they know noone wants to go there anyway, they might as well make it ez to get the few out of the box thinkers. im sure thai officials figure they dont need foreigners to live thai style,, they got lots of them.

expats who live thai style drain the economy not help it.

So far it seems that thailand does not see the need to reduce prices to aid tourism.

If tourist numbers are halved next year, then prices must be doubled in order to obtain the same income.

Simple mathematics.

Then halve that the following year ? Already many are leaving LAL (laugh a little)Thailand for destinations giving better value for their diminishing dollar(Baht) and easier to live conditions , where is the simple math for " You ain't got no customers "?

u think people who live here long time going to leave just coz airport shut down for a week. god help us all

Keep praying , many neighbours offer better value for the hard earned buck , they also have a welcome mat , no surly immigration officials , easy visa attainment , and many other attributes tunnel vision people such as yourself fail to see , it is the overall package people are interested in , especially when there are not so many 'Die hard wanabee natives ' such as you most apparently are . You appear to be too lame-brained to see the broader aspect because of your Tunnel 'vision and thinking , as has been said before "Wake up and smell the coffee " , there is an accumulation of petty problems expats live with , the aiport closure and visa changes are just the straw finaly breaking the camels back .

Go on , ask the obviouse question "how the heck would you know ? " Well , for the benefit of the unenlightened , despite the fact i spent several years in Thailand that i enjoyed , many people have e-mailed me from this and other forums for a run down on Cambodia and cost of living and all the other pertinant information a concerned expat/tourist would be interested in , primarily because i try to present an unbiased opinion as to how it has affected me personally .I do not tell lies because i have a poor memory , i have helped a number of people to relocate including expats who have thanked me for my assistance and there are several still in 'Interim mode ' . May i suggest you change your way of thinking and somewhat degredation of people in what you communcate on Tv , you are actually an instagator in some peoples exodus , think about it if your attention span can last more than a few biased seconds .

my deer friend

have u ever thought that these neighbor countries r open to foreigners becoz they know noone wants to go there anyway, they might as well make it ez to get the few out of the box thinkers. im sure thai officials figure they dont need foreigners to live thai style,, they got lots of them.

Let me explain something to you and your persitant talk about things you have not experienced first hand , read the reports from people who have recently moved to neighbour countries and see what they have to safe from FIRST HAND experience .

Incidentally , that brown goo exiting your ears is definately not wax , it is a sign you are full of 'IT' .

Simple mathematics.

my deer friend

Can't get my head round that one. If you can't draw on benefits, use utilities for free, etc, then I don't see how you can be a drain. Please justify.

frugal farang spends 250$ a month living thai style. how much of that is going to the public coffers for his share of los infrastructure he consumes. sidewalk use, police and fire safety,etc.

how much does 4 sex tourists spending 1000 each for a week contribute? u do the math.

fred - To me it adds up to $250 more being spent in Thailand, and is equivalent to some people's monthly wage. The costs you present are fixed costs too, and I think the sidewalks will bear the extra strain.