Aot Confident Suvarnabhumi Can Make'top 10 World Airports'

george

AoT confident Suvarnabhumi can make'Top 10 World Airports'

BANGKOK: -- Airports of Thailand (AoT) remains confident that Suvarnabhumi International Airport will eventually be listed in the top ten ranking of the world's best airports as during the past two years, it was able to serve airlines and passengers flawlessly despitebeing later seized by anti-government protesters for 10 days beginning November 24, according to acting AoT president Serirat Prasutanond.

People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) demonstrators surrounded Suvarnabhumi Airport to apply more pressure against the Somchai Wongsawat government which they claimed was a nominee of fugitive former prime minisiter Thaksin Shinwatra and demanded that Mr. Somchai resign. The move had virtually crippled the country's tourism industry and damaged import and export sectors.

Mr. Serirat, who also serves as Suvarnabhumi Airport director, said AoT would pursue its plan to nominate Suvarnabhumi as the world's best airport, targetting to be listed in the top ten list of best airports.

He said during the past two years, the airport had taken very good care of both airlines and passengers, therefore, he believed it would be recognised as one of the best airport.

Meanwhile, Chaisak Angsuwan, Transport Ministry Permanent Secretary, who is acting Department of Civil Aviation (DCA) director-general, said that after meeting executives from the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO), the aviation organisation was satisfied with the operation of the airport after it was fully open.

He said that all systems involved in flight operations were unaffected by the protest and cound run normally and at international standard.

However, he expressed concern over the protest in the future as this was the first time that Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports were forced to close.

AoT and DCA will further discuss and draft the security measures to prevent a repeat of the incident, he said, adding that strict security measures should be enforced.

-- TNA 2008-12-05

Oh, this is the best laugh I have had all day.

it was able to serve airlines and passengers flawlessly despite being later seized by anti-government protesters for 10 days beginning November 24, according to acting AoT president Serirat Prasutanond.

:o:D

A momentary lapse such as this is all it needs for someone to walk in and blow the place to smithereens. This fact hasn't escaped the notice of the aviation industry. Thai style apologetics and cover ups aren't going to work whatever the causes.

Have to give the guy marks for trying I suppose, very funny.

But what makes, or breaks, a top ten airport?

Obviously a couple of portacabins on a windswept moor beside a runway won't make the grade unless, like myself on occasions, it is your lifeline home. What do we look for in an airport?

I don't go to airports for fun, I go there because I have to. I go there to get on an airplane and fly away to somehwere I want to be. For me an airport is a portal, a doorway, nothing more nothing less. My perfect airport is one where I get out of the taxi, go through the portal and get on the plane that then taxis out and takes off. Unfortunately I can't afford a personal Lear jet as I'm not CEO of a failing US auto manufacturer.

But that's, in a nutshell, what I want. To be able to transit the airport as quickly and effortlessly as possible. Obviously the ideal is just not possible so what do I need? I'm not interested in shops, fancy restaurants or duty frees. A basic snack bar where I can grab a sandwich and a beer and somewhere comfortable to sit and a restroom to dispense with the beer (after internal processing).

Suvarnabhumi, in general, functions fine for me but there is too much unnecessary cr@p that clutters the place up but I understand that any airport authority makes a lot of it's money from the shops etc.

So ignoring recent events would I put Swampy in the top ten? Possibly but mainly because for 50% of the transits I am entering Thailand so as far as I'm concerned it could be that group of portacabins.

<edit : bulddy tyop :o >

Edited by PhilHarries

The first step is restoring confidence of airlines and passengers to actually use the place. Talking about top 10 ranking now is nothing more than laughable.

Couldn't agree more. I think however that the statement made wasn't meant for an international audience, but more likely for an internal audience. In the traditional Thai way, sweep away everything bad, pretend it never happened, smile and then bluntly explain that everything is normal again... :o Works like a charm every time! :D

Serious suggestion: Get rid of the Taxi-touts at arrivals!!! Better signs to get to buses and taxi-station, More seats for the restaurants, More snack-bars, More Toilets... Oh, and more smiles from the Immigration officers, I thought the Kingdom was called LOS for a reason, but whenever I have my passport checked I have my doubts... :D Could be for totally different reasons of course... :D

Between AOT, TAT and all the othe incompetent government departments the only top ten they will get into, is for making ludicrous claims, of which they will probably be a clear number one.

Thailand is clearly the hub of idiocy at present. :o

Top 10 airports? :o:D

Not if security is part of the criteria - at the moment Suvarnabhumi ranks well behind such exotic locations as Baghdad and Kandahar airports.

Someone make the chap that came up with this nonsensical idea a very strong coffee.

AoT confident Suvarnabhumi can make'Top 10 World Airports'

BANGKOK: -- Airports of Thailand (AoT) remains confident that Suvarnabhumi International Airport will eventually be listed in the top ten ranking of the world's best airports as during the past two years, it was able to serve airlines and passengers flawlessly despitebeing later seized by anti-government protesters for 10 days beginning November 24, according to acting AoT president Serirat Prasutanond.

People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) demonstrators surrounded Suvarnabhumi Airport to apply more pressure against the Somchai Wongsawat government which they claimed was a nominee of fugitive former prime minisiter Thaksin Shinwatra and demanded that Mr. Somchai resign. The move had virtually crippled the country's tourism industry and damaged import and export sectors.

Mr. Serirat, who also serves as Suvarnabhumi Airport director, said AoT would pursue its plan to nominate Suvarnabhumi as the world's best airport, targetting to be listed in the top ten list of best airports.

He said during the past two years, the airport had taken very good care of both airlines and passengers, therefore, he believed it would be recognised as one of the best airport.

Meanwhile, Chaisak Angsuwan, Transport Ministry Permanent Secretary, who is acting Department of Civil Aviation (DCA) director-general, said that after meeting executives from the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO), the aviation organisation was satisfied with the operation of the airport after it was fully open.

He said that all systems involved in flight operations were unaffected by the protest and cound run normally and at international standard.

However, he expressed concern over the protest in the future as this was the first time that Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports were forced to close.

AoT and DCA will further discuss and draft the security measures to prevent a repeat of the incident, he said, adding that strict security measures should be enforced.

-- TNA 2008-12-05

This is simply a typical press release that any authority puts out trying to save face after another horrendous incident affecting said authority. The question is why Thai authorities come out with outrageous pap in the first place. Do they teach it in business school? Most know that these "old ginger" guys and their yes men sit around in the boardroom and actually think about releasing stuff like this while airport operations are struggling. Why not have the meeting address security and service along with traveler confidence before they eat their catered meal and take off for the afternoon for an expensive massage palace.

More asian style ego building. What is it with asians that they lack so much self esteem that they continually need to be proped up with fascicle ideas and schemes.

No ryhme nor reason , just pumped up personal pomposity to prevail on peoples presumed prepositions of perfection perpretating prosperity .

More asian style ego building. What is it with asians that they lack so much self esteem that they continually need to be proped up with fascicle ideas and schemes.

No ryhme nor reason , just pumped up personal pomposity to prevail on peoples presumed prepositions of perfection perpretating prosperity .

I take it you're "Peed" off with these people. :o

We let our airport get taking over for days, there are cracks in the runway, parts of it are unfinished..... All that aside its the top 10....

Who are they kidding it was no were near the top 10 before the take over now, just days after getting back they make a statement like this.... Nothing like having the whole world laugh at your press releases... :o:D:D:D

We let our airport get taking over for days, there are cracks in the runway, parts of it are unfinished..... All that aside its the top 10....

Who are they kidding it was no were near the top 10 before the take over now, just days after getting back they make a statement like this.... Nothing like having the whole world laugh at your press releases... :o:D:D:D

I glanced at your picture and thought you were h90 and almost fell off my chair in shock. Then I put my glasses on and reality revisited.

I feel for the head of the AoT. He's trying to restore confidence as best he can, while having all sorts of idiots meddling with his work. He has to project an aura of confidence. If he were to come out with doom and gloom comments it wouldn't help. All he's doing is trying to set a goal. Maybe they won't get there, but it's better to have a positive goal than to give up.

This should be called A Frequent Flier's Wish. :o If only wishes came true.

My perfect airport is one where I get out of the taxi, go through the portal and get on the plane that then taxis out and takes off.
Edited by geriatrickid

The next public statement will state that the airport was never closed, it was just a rumour.

I love the Thai logic as I will never understand it: What ever happened yesterday didn’t really happen; it was all a bad dream.

THAILAND’S tourism business, its export industries and its reputation have been wrecked by recent events. Crowds of royalists have occupied the government’s offices for months and then seized Bangkok’s airports. The police refused to evict them. The army refused to help. This week the siege was ended after the courts disbanded three parties in the ruling coalition. But the parties plan to re-form under new names and continue governing, so fresh strife threatens. It is as if a thin veneer of modernity, applied during the boom of the 1980s and early 1990s, has peeled away. Until recently a beacon of Asian pluralism, Thailand is sliding into anarchy.

Snippet from thwe Economist Dec 04

I would like to see the IATA certification for airport. Or even find out the expiry of the last one.

And I'd like to see some evidence that a complete and competent (read "up to Western standards") security sweep of both airports was done before they were allowed to serve passengers again. It's on public record that the PAD has munitions and there's no way to know if something was placed in the ductwork as part of a "scorched earth" strategy and forgotten.

The next public statement will state that the airport was never closed, it was just a rumour.

I love the Thai logic as I will never understand it: What ever happened yesterday didn’t really happen; it was all a bad dream.

That would be quite correct, the airport was never closed. You could go along there any day you liked, wearing a red shirt would not have been advised though, and you could have entered the terminal. There was no planes flying anywhere and no staff on hand to help you out but it was not closed.

Besides which the word "closed" with all it's negative vibes has such an air of finality about it. The airport was merely experiencing a period of less than optimum performance.

Besides which the word "closed" with all it's negative vibes has such an air of finality about it. The airport was merely experiencing a period of less than optimum performance.

If you don't already you should be the head of some company's marketing/pr department.... I have not seen such a great spin on the facts! :o

This should be called A Frequent Flier's Wish. :o If only wishes came true.
My perfect airport is one where I get out of the taxi, go through the portal and get on the plane that then taxis out and takes off.

In my perfect airport, the plane is already at the end of the runway & ready to start its take-off roll, but is waiting for me to arrive & board first ! :D