Paragon Ocean World Ripoff

kojack99

I too dislike dual pricing. I simply won't pay it. That means my wife doesn't go either. They have lost two customers. Actually I wouldn't mind paying a small foreigner premium but NOT double or more.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dual pricing is disgraceful, racist and insulting considering foreigners put so much into the Thai economy. Last year I noticed that some National Parks reduced their prices to a more reasonable figure so I visited 2 of them. Ticket issuers USED TO acknowledge years' visas, Thai driving licences etc.; but not now. The only recourse we have is to veto those places with dual pricing rates.

And when did they stop acknowledging driving licences? I had no problem getting the lower price with my driving licence on Koh Chang in late October this year . . . . .

Edited by grtaylor

".....Foreigners pay more for education, too. "

I do not know about all univ. around the world, but in America, the above statement is not accurate.

There is a price difference between "state and non state" residency students. For example, if I live/reside in Texas, I get cheaper rates than a student from Michigan. This is because I have paid taxes in the state of Texas.

Garbage!

If you're a International student at Walla Walla Community college, Washington, you pay almost 3 times more than resident.

http://www.wwcc.edu/CMS/index.php?id=827

Does this make them RACIST or OPPORTUNISTIC? IAW to all your posts, this makes the US just as racists as Thailand.

Dual pricing is disgraceful, racist and insulting considering foreigners put so much into the Thai economy. Last year I noticed that some National Parks reduced their prices to a more reasonable figure so I visited 2 of them. Ticket issuers USED TO acknowledge years' visas, Thai driving licences etc.; but not now. The only recourse we have is to veto those places with dual pricing rates.

And when did they stop acknowledging driving licences? I had no problem getting the lower price with my driving licence on Koh Chang in late October this year . . . . .

I have used my driving license to get into duel priced places in the last 6 months

http://www.siamoceanworld.co.th/visitor_in...ation/price.htm

Thought go and visit there then log on to their web site looking for price and found this scam.

Different price in Thai and in English.

Farang Adult - 850 abht, Thai adult 350 baht.

Farang kid - 650 baht, Thai kid 250 baht.

And more than that they're trying to hide it by print the Thai price in Thai words and not in numbers.

Didn't realize that a respected place like paragon will act like a stall in the market... but I guess they're all the same...

i'm caucasian (farang)

i read thai script to a very high level (can read the daily newspapers etc....)

nothing is hidden, it is plain to see.

the word ฝรั่ง is not mentioned at all.

poor you ,are you a bitter 30 day stamp on arrival TOURIST perchance ?

Why the outburst...if you check the travel forum there is a thread on double pricing for hotel rates. ironically the local Thai pay more than the farang, why no outburts from the farangs.... :o

as this has been explained in the other thread by an email from the ceo or similarly high up in the company, showing any form of thai identification gets you the resident price.

to reiterate: Siam ocean world will give you a resisdent rate if you show them something that establishes you as a resident.

OK. I wasn't aware that was their policy. Under those circumstances I withdraw my objection. A business is certainly entitled to offer discounts to locals, as they are much more likely to be repeat customers. I think it is difficult to argue that incentives such as this are unfair. As long as the same incentive is offered to all residents, regardless of nationality or skin color.

Truthfully though, if this is their policy, it should be clearly displayed so everyone understands. That would stop most of these complaints. The fact that it isn't stated openly makes everyone jump to conclusions.

Mmmm... nobody is "made" to jump to conclusions.

Some will, others might check first.

Might I suggest an alternative to Siam Ocean World and at a fraction of the price. Bueng Chawark Park. It is a couple of hours drive from Bangkok but worth both the drive and the savings.They not only have many aquariums-walk thru etc(I'm sorry I can't compare it to SOW as I took one look at the price and ran) but also huge crocodile area and there was another building in progress-forget what for. Anyway the admission price of 30 baht is for everybody.They also have a walk thru aviary, tons of (white) tigers, lions etc again with the same entry fee. There is also a lovely garden which I haven't been to for years but can only guess that is also 30 baht entry.Each of these sites covers a wide area, the place is very clean and I am sure offers much more for your baht than a whizz around SOW for mega baht. Bueng Chawak also has waterside accomodation starting from 800 baht. Tel 035-430099-100.No I don't have shares in the place-in fact I believe it is one of the Kings projects-hence the low entry fees.

On the other hand, yes my Thai drivers license works pretty much everywhere for the "Khon Thai" price

My issue with this is the use of Thai script to deceive the non-Thai visitors. The simple solution is to have the dual pricing in both languages so there's no confusion. Do you think that will happen? Unlikely, in my view, because more visitors will become aware of the policy and refuse to accept it.

Does it say "Farang" or "Tourist" or "Non-Thai"? - because there is a difference.

I disagree with this "dual-pricing" anyway and usually avoid such places, especially when they write the Thai price using Thai characters - it is so obvious that they are trying to hide the price difference to the non-Thais.

The Thai bit just says 'poo yai' (adult) and 'dek' (child) and specifies 80-120 cm (height) for the latter. In English is is just adult and child with same height definition. It seems doubly sneaky not to even say Thai and non-Thai adult/child, but just to use language and English/Thai numerals to conceal the different pricing.

I agree, I went to Pala-u falls last week and they refused to accept a thai drivers license and wanted to charge me (get this) 250 baht for entry! Small beer but why pay more than the Thais?!

After stonewalling her crocodile smiles for about three minutes and explaining I wasn't a two week tourist and actually spent many months each year here she relented and lowered the price to 50 baht. I was about to turn around and leave, luckily

If I hadn't of spoken good thai I wouldn't of been given the Thai price.

Years previous the producing of a Thai drivers license would be carte blanche for getting around the 2-tier pricing, not now it seems! :o

All around me the unknowing tourists just happily put there hand in their pocket and paid the *wrong* price not knowing the ways.

It's not the same now, they truely are hungry for the white mans baht and don't mind charging silly money.

My issue with this is the use of Thai script to deceive the non-Thai visitors. The simple solution is to have the dual pricing in both languages so there's no confusion. Do you think that will happen? Unlikely, in my view, because more visitors will become aware of the policy and refuse to accept it.

Make them aware, get yourself a sign and protest ...you're allowed

I just vote with my feet, if they don't accept my Drivers License, Tax ID Card and work permit, then I simply walk away. I have generally always gotten into places at the Thai price when providing those documents. The only exception has been going to the boxing at Lumpini stadium. I was stonewalled by the ticket seller and even though I arrived with one of the favourite fighters who was fighting that evening, I still had to pay for the uber expensive ringside seat.

If everyone feels so strongly about this, there are options. Simply print out about 500 flyers and pay some uni students 500 baht each (total cost will not be more than 2000 Baht) to hand them out to any tourists that they see entering Siam Paragon. There is no paper trail to get you into trouble and all tourists learn about this rippoff. It will also cause major loss of face for the management of the Oceanarium.

Edited by Rabeang

I too dislike dual pricing. I simply won't pay it. That means my wife doesn't go either. They have lost two customers. Actually I wouldn't mind paying a small foreigner premium but NOT double or more.

So there are at least two voices of reason here.

If you do not like dual pricing...DON'T PAY IT! Most of the complaints have been regarding either National Parks or the Siam Paragon Aquarium...missing either or both is hardly a life-altering event.

I have missed both, BTW...the Aquarium, my (Thai) wife and I went not too long after it opened, we were in the queue...when she saw the price, *she* pulled us out of the line..."too expensive, we do not need to see this". The National Park was near Chanthaburi (I forget the name). On that one I refused to pay the 5x "farang" fee. I told the rest they could go in, I would wait. Instead we went to another place nearby, no fee, neat waterfall area with some nice natural pools. I was sure to leave a donation at that one.

I also understand the sentiment of "it is only x dollars"...I do not agree with it, but I understand it. It just comes down to what something is worth to the individual.

By all means, make a scene, raise hel_l about it if that is your deal...I just politely refuse to pay and leave. Simple as that.

You are charged the normal price. The Thais are given a well deserved discount.

Any farang making 150 baht a day?

Any Thais making more than 150 baht a day?

More to the point, any Thais making Bht150 a day shopping at Paragon?..... I doubt it some how.

Thought go and visit there then log on to their web site looking for price and found this scam.

And more than that they're trying to hide it by print the Thai price in Thai words and not in numbers.

Didn't realize that a respected place like paragon will act like a stall in the market... but I guess they're all the same...

You EXAGGERATED what the sign actually said. NOT 1 WORD ON THAT SIGN SAID ANYTHING OF "FARANG"

It said:

Adult - 850 abht, Thai adult 350 baht.

kid - 650 baht, Thai kid 250 baht.

I don't see any of you whiners complaining about Universities in the US charging international students 3 times more than the local residents. :o

You EXAGGERATED what the sign actually said. NOT 1 WORD ON THAT SIGN SAID ANYTHING OF "FARANG"

It said:

I don't see any of you whiners complaining about Universities in the US charging international students 3 times more than the local residents. :o

The statement regarding charging international students 3 time is MORONIC. There is no SUCH THING. It is strictly a matter of in state or out of state tuition. BOTTOM LINE END OF STORRY. If you don't know this, than obviously you never laid a foot on a college campus. A person from TEXAS will be required to pay the same tuition fees as an international student if the college is in Michigan, Lousiana, Vermont, Virginia, Montana etc etc. If the student is from Texas and wants to attend a college within Texas, then the studen will be required to pay IN STATE tuition fees, which are much less than OUT OF STATE FEES.

BUT if you want to bring up US college as a topic. Did you know international students.... students that have never paid a single dime in taxes are illegible for schollarships?

I do not know about all univ. around the world, but in America, the above statement is not accurate.

There is a price difference between "state and non state" residency students. For example, if I live/reside in Texas, I get cheaper rates than a student from Michigan. This is because I have paid taxes in the state of Texas.

Garbage!

If you're a International student at Walla Walla Community college, Washington, you pay almost 3 times more than resident.

Does this make them RACIST or OPPORTUNISTIC? IAW to all your posts, this makes the US just as racists as Thailand.

Walla Walla!!!!!!! Sorry, when I say college, I mean a real school not a community college or a school wiht a campus within a prison!!!! (community college :o )

I was speaking of schools such as:

http://finance.tamu.edu/sbs/tuition/cost_attendance.asp

http://www.nmsu.edu/~uar/schecosts/schcosts.htm

Foreign nationals who are present in the United States on visitor, student, or other visas that have authorized only temporary presence in this country do not have the capacity to intend to reside in Utah for an indefinite period and therefore are classified as non-residents for tuition purposes. Foreign nationals who have been granted legal immigrant or permanent U.S. resident status are classified for purposes of resident status according to the same criteria applicable to U.S. citizens.

http://www.sa.utah.edu/admiss/resInstruct.htm

http://www.ltadm.latech.edu/vpadmaff/FEEScurrent.HTM

I could keep this up all day and all night.

Private institutions such as Baylor, BYU etc, I do not know what or how they charge... all I know is they are high regardless of where you came from.

Toodles

Garbage!

Walla Walla!!!!!!! Sorry, when I say college, I mean a real school not a community college or a school wiht a campus within a prison!!!! (community college :D )

I was speaking of schools such as:

http://finance.tamu.edu/sbs/tuition/cost_attendance.asp

http://www.nmsu.edu/~uar/schecosts/schcosts.htm

Foreign nationals who are present in the United States on visitor, student, or other visas that have authorized only temporary presence in this country do not have the capacity to intend to reside in Utah for an indefinite period and therefore are classified as non-residents for tuition purposes. Foreign nationals who have been granted legal immigrant or permanent U.S. resident status are classified for purposes of resident status according to the same criteria applicable to U.S. citizens.

http://www.sa.utah.edu/admiss/resInstruct.htm

http://www.ltadm.latech.edu/vpadmaff/FEEScurrent.HTM

I could keep this up all day and all night.

Private institutions such as Baylor, BYU etc, I do not know what or how they charge... all I know is they are high regardless of where you came from.

Toodles

Yeah, that really make a difference in regards of you saying "I do not know about all univ. around the world, but in America, the above statement is not accurate" in regards to foreigners pay more for education.

Now put your tail between your legs and make more excuses :o

In your case, racism only applies when it serves YOUR PURPOSE

Edited by Misplaced

Truthfully though, if this is their policy, it should be clearly displayed so everyone understands. That would stop most of these complaints. The fact that it isn't stated openly makes everyone jump to conclusions.

Mmmm... nobody is "made" to jump to conclusions.

Some will, others might check first.

Yes, well, one can also forgive a black man who walks into a restaurant that says "We prefer negroes to sit in their own area" for jumping to conclusions that the restaurant is racist, rather than asking if it is OK if he sits in the white section.

When you are the owner of the business, it is your responsibility to explain your policies to your customers. Expecting people faced with indignity to ask if possibly the business owner might not be the scoundrel that he appears to be is a little far fetched for those of us who are human.

It said:

The statement regarding charging international students 3 time is MORONIC. There is no SUCH THING. It is strictly a matter of in state or out of state tuition. BOTTOM LINE END OF STORRY. If you don't know this, than obviously you never laid a foot on a college campus. A person from TEXAS will be required to pay the same tuition fees as an international student if the college is in Michigan, Lousiana, Vermont, Virginia, Montana etc etc. If the student is from Texas and wants to attend a college within Texas, then the studen will be required to pay IN STATE tuition fees, which are much less than OUT OF STATE FEES.

BUT if you want to bring up US college as a topic. Did you know international students.... students that have never paid a single dime in taxes are illegible for schollarships?

"NO SUCH THING" ? ....Here's the site again. HAVE A GOOD LOOK and stop being a MORON (your own terminology). BOTTOM LINE END OF STORY!

INTERNATIONAL student are charged 3 times higher tuition fee than local at this college in USA.... RACIST or opportunist?

It said:

"NO SUCH THING" ? ....Here's the site again. HAVE A GOOD LOOK and stop being a MORON (your own terminology). BOTTOM LINE END OF STORY!

INTERNATIONAL student are charged 3 times higher tuition fee than local at this college in USA.... RACIST or opportunist?

\

Flashing the race card here is out of line. I.E. a White student from Denmark pays more at a U.S. school becuase the school is supported by tax payers or grants from taxpayers. Same race different price. <deleted> I support 3 tiered pricing. You pay taxes to support something so why should people who pay no taxes there get the same price. I fact if you live in and area and pay couty/provincial taxes you should get a price break over people who live in the same county but don't pay to support a facility but pay regional/national taxes and then the tourist who pay no taxes whould pay a premium to carry part of the burden of the area. OK, golf on any Island in Hawaii. live that island, v live hawaii, v tourist.... 3 levels. Phuket Zoo Thai and Farang, I show my thai DL with a Phuket Address and I get something off but not to the Thai level.

Now, as to the Aqua thingo in Siam Paragon... It is what is know as a boutique set up rather than big places. I have no problem with the Thai/Farang prices. I give you the best one. The elephant event in Nov in Surin. I'm there with a nurse from Patong, (Thai) and they want to charge her farang price because she is with Farang. She complained and the guy laughed, "pointed at me and said... Baht Mahk Mahk, mai pen rai... I just laugh and point to him whilst noding to my very lovely girl friend and said MiDai.... he could get and extra 20 baht for her but she was with me, and not some thai banana salesman.... You see, I like three tierd pricing... Works both ways! next bags of bannas we went do a different guy and she was 1 meter from me and got Thai price. BTW, I showed my Thai DL and got in on the Thai Price. One more..OK

flight cancelled at HKT big line for stand bys on the next flight... I simply held out my thai DL and was call out from the crowd to step forward.... A few dirty looks from a couple of fat fraus.... So what... Have a nice day and if you can't afford the bill of fare, stay home and have a wank!

Would I pay more to go to "Oxyford" sure. Look I had to pay 3 times the cost to go to school with Harry Potter cause I'm a yank... I paid more and now I just waive my wand and my wand get hard!

Garbage!

Walla Walla? Why do you mention it? Did you live there? I lived there for three years. Small place. Small world. And, if I was an international student, there is no way I'd even want to go to WWCC. I can't imagine any would. A community college? They should just stay in their own country and go to a technical college if they're going to do that.

Garbage!

Walla Walla? Why do you mention it? Did you live there? I lived there for three years. Small place. Small world. And, if I was an international student, there is no way I'd even want to go to WWCC. I can't imagine any would. A community college? They should just stay in their own country and go to a technical college if they're going to do that.

Did not lived there but I was in Spokane with my ex-girl for a month. Met a lot of nice people though. My college friend lived in Washington so we used to talked frequently about the place.

I mentioned Walla Walla to set example for Dakhar who doesn't seem to realized that there are institutions in the United States who charge foreigners more than local residents. It's nothing new! It happens every where not just Thailand. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RACISM. IT'S ECONOMICS!

Garbage!

Did not lived there but I was in Spokane with my ex-girl for a month. Met a lot of nice people though. My college friend lived in Washington so we used to talked frequently about the place.

I mentioned Walla Walla to set example for Dakhar who doesn't seem to realized that there are institutions in the United States who charge foreigners more than local residents. It's nothing new! It happens every where not just Thailand. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RACISM. IT'S ECONOMICS!

You mentioned WALLA WALLA wanke_r to prove a point. Which is not in my view, and apparently others, a "college" in the first place. But apparently it is a great place to get some form of education while in PRISON. Check the website/link again. Also, the tuition is not 3 times greater than a US citizen, it is 3 times greater then a resident, and double that of a non-resident. I have heard of some colleges requireing foreing students to live in their dorm accomadations. They place this requirement on foriengers because they usually do not have cars, drivers license, care insurance etc etc etc. So they just "make it earsier on them" and mandate living on campus. (A fairly common practice and they do charge more due to this) What Wally World does, I have no idea, I don't keep track of community colleges (caugh)