Thai Gold

BIG SPUDS

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 baht(weight) = 15.2 grams  ~ 8150 baht(money)

The key phrase is approximately equal to 8k ThB. The price fluctuates, as does all gold on the world market. And contrary to popular opinion and some advertisements, I believe that prices can be haggled and negotiated somewhat depending on the store.

I've negotiated on the workmanship fee, but never the gold price. In fact, I would be highly suspect if they were negotiable on the gold price...

I also wouldn't buy any unstamped gold piece, because that offers you some protection...

Agreed on all points, I was referring to jewelry, and for sure, the stamp is the first thing I look for.

Cheers ... :o

I think that Thai gold looks cheap and plastic. I can afford to buy gold for my gf. But she says the same. I got her a white gold engagment ring with 14 diamonds. It cost more than the Thai gold one that was similar in style.

And so yellow. I really dont like Thai gold.

I think that Thai gold looks cheap and plastic. I can afford to buy gold for my gf. But she says the same. I got her a white gold engagment ring with 14 diamonds. It cost more than the Thai gold one that was similar in style.

Each their own mate- got many compliments from my Thai Gold. Makes western gold look rubbish. White Gold/Platinum- might as well wear silver. :o

The gold in the chinese red goldshops has a minimum of 18k an up to 99,9 % and this is called 24K.

Less than 18k is not allowed to be sold as gold in Thailand!.

Its mixed up (mostly)with silver and copper so then the purity of the gold goes down but it will be stronger and last longer.

In foreign countries it's mostly 14k about 56% gold.

The difference in price is mostly workmanship for what you can sometimes bargain, not the gold price qause that is everyday set in combination with de National bank of Thailand and the SET index.

Each their own mate- got many compliments from my Thai Gold. Makes western gold look rubbish. White Gold/Platinum- might as well wear silver. :o

True! Each to their own. But Thais will always comment on gold as its seen as wealth. Personally and as you said each to their own. I think and many of my friends think It looks cheap and plastic. But then it doesn't matter if i like it or not. As long as you do. Just my opinion.

.... I think and many of my friends think It looks cheap and plastic. But then it doesn't matter if i like it or not. As long as you do. Just my opinion.

I think you'll find that most Thais love the colour of Thai gold and think that the pale yellow of western gold looks cheap. I have a 2 baht chain but rarely wear it - it's just not "me" - but it looks a lovely colour compared to the pale 9 carat signet ring that I can't get off.

Again. Each to their own. But we can sit here all night and argue. My opinion is different than yours. I dont like it you do, Thats life. You are right, On some accounts, the Thais like their gold and nothing will change their mind. Its an individual choice

Simcity, sounds like a good price(2 bahts bought at 16700 bahts). Be careful. I buy gold at the same red store each time. I trust the head guy. As far as Australia is concerned I figure the red stores sell vast amounts of gold to farang tourists so the Thai stamps are recognized worldwide. I have seen asian jewelery stores in the U.S. asking nearly double the Thai price for 23k items.

White gold does not tarnish not so for silver. Platnium looks better than WG but Platnium is very expensive when labor is added to the price of an item.

-a

Edited by aughie

How can you know it's a Thai stamp? Here's an example of one stamp...Notice that this one is on the clasp, which could be moved to most any other necklace...

stamp.jpg

See anythng 'Thai'? I wouldn't trust any overseas shop that sells 'Thai' gold without certifying its gold percentage.

In Malaysia, the government certifies the purity of the gold sold in all stores there... I would trust that more than I'd trust Thai gold outside of Thailand..

Here's a table of gold percentage vs karat...

Gold Percentage/ Karat/ Fineness

100.00 24 1000

91.67 22 .916

83.33 20 .833

75.00 18 .750

58.33 14 .583

50.00 12 .500

41.67 10 .416

I have bought gold at my favorite gold shop and trust them because they will buy back or tradein my gold. They look for thier stamp near the clasp, weight the gold to a fraction of a gram then make you an offer depending on the price of gold that day. Some shops have a tv going with gold price in real time.

1 baht gold weighs 15 grams. A troy ounce of gold is 30 grams. So 2 baht is 1 troy ounce. The large gold jewelery can be deceptive because it is hollow and weight seems light.

Purity of gold is very difficult to determine and could be cost prohibited to do. This is why you should trade at the same shop. They can recognise thier stamp and are confident in doing a trade in with thier former merchandise.

Workmanship cost about B400 the last time I bought. So add this cost to each item of gold jewlery plus the gold price.

I am no expert so take my advice with caution,

LLL

it looks cheap.. didn't say it was.. i hate gold, so it makes no odds to me.. too tacky!

That's what eveyone says when they can't afford it!!!

That was a funny retort but I have to say I'm in agreement with Terdsak. I can't understand why people want to waste their money on gold jewellery, but each to their own. Give anything a high value and some people will claim it as precious and desirable.

I can't understand why people want to waste their money on gold jewellery, but each to their own.

My wife made about 10k baht in the last year buying and selling gold. Not much I know but she thinks it is great.

She also sees it as "money in the bank".

hello ..

can thai gold be sold in australia ? and what will be the value given as it do not have australian stamp ?

said 2 bahts bought at 16700 bahts ( gold price plus workmanship fee )

Yes it can, but you will find that mostly only asian jewellers will deal in it, most big commercial traders would be suss on it as it has been bought in Asia.

G'day LLL.....missed you in town about 3 weeks ago.....caught up with Foss and Nick though......

Edited by gburns57au

Ajarn, the omega clasp has a stamp because it is gold. The chain should also have a stamp. I couldn't recognize Thai stamps. I think Oz jewelers could. Pawn shops probably would.

Buying gold anywhere I would have to determine whether I trust the dealer/jeweler. In Bkk I am given a certificate with a signature, it describes the item and states "Quality Guaranteed Return Fully Refunded At Current Price". Sure the cert. could mean nothing. I have sold gold back to them. "Current Price" is their current price.

Edited by aughie

Ajarn,  the omega clasp has a stamp because it is gold.  The chain should also have a stamp.  I couldn't recognize Thai stamps. I think Oz jewelers could.  Pawn shops probably would.

Buying gold anywhere I would have to determine whether I trust the dealer/jeweler.  In Bkk I am given a certificate with a signature, it describes the item and states "Quality Guaranteed Return Fully Refunded At Current Price".  Sure the cert. could mean nothing.  I have sold gold back to them.  "Current Price" is their current price not the currrent quote for gold.  So it is a negotiation process.

Bought back at the bullion price as I understand, since much of what gold is sold back is melted down.... Not sure how the bullion price relates to the quoted gold price, except that there wouldn't be any workmanship fee, I assume

As for the stamp on necklaces...I called a few Thai friends just now and asked them to check where their stamps were located. Each said it was on the clasp only... I've seen the stamp on the insides of rings and bracelets directly on the piece, but not the necklaces...

See anythng 'Thai'?

What I meant by that was, the stamp is likely not going to be recognized by anyone as anything, outside the shop is was bought at... Can't see any words or images- even at the fairly high magnification shown...

My point being that such a stamp is not going to help you except at the shop where it was purchased. Anyone could forge such an unclear stamp and call it Thai gold. Being only on the clasp means even the original shop can't trust that the clasp is connected to the same piece they sold... Nor can anyone else trust the piece without an assay certification of some kind. As I said, I wouldn't trust any shop outside of Thailand claiming to sell Thai gold without proper certification.

Edited by Ajarn

Ajarn,  the omega clasp has a stamp because it is gold.  The chain should also have a stamp. ...

.....I called a few Thai friends just now and asked them to check where their stamps were located. Each said it was on the clasp only... I've seen the stamp on the insides of rings and bracelets directly on the piece, but not the necklaces...

Just checked my chain - has a stamp on the clasp and has "96.5%K1" printed very small on the first (and larger) link. :o

Ajarn,  the omega clasp has a stamp because it is gold.  The chain should also have a stamp. ...

.....I called a few Thai friends just now and asked them to check where their stamps were located. Each said it was on the clasp only... I've seen the stamp on the insides of rings and bracelets directly on the piece, but not the necklaces...

Just checked my chain - has a stamp on the clasp and has "96.5%K1" printed very small on the first (and larger) link. :o

That's a first for me. None of my pieces have anything more than I mentioned earlier... In fact, there is only one possible spot on the first 'O' link to maybe stamp something and nothing is there... Any stamp on a link would damage the link considerably because of its 'wrapped' (hollow) construction.

My best guess is that they stamp the piece itself when possible- otherwise, it's only on the clasp...

This thread has made a lot of sence to me. I have two pieces - bought by the mother in law for seperate occasions - the necklace in particular gave me cause for concern because it has since snapped (or worn down) twice. Soft gold perhaps ? Either way each time i have "upgraded" to a nicer piece to hold my buddha pendant. I just checked and yes there are press marks. Perhaps tomorrow i will investigate further.

One word of warning. The family jewelers are in BKP mall - had my necklace cleaned once and i think they forgot to wash off whatever burning substance they applied - needless to say, guess who had a burning neck and an acid rash for a few days :o

I blame the mother in law personally :D

Thai gold is indeed about 22k. And it is just as often a heavy 22k plating. Thai gold is a nice liquid commodity within Thailand, that is easily exchanged for currency, but caveat emptor. I learned by experience that once outside Thailand baat gold is not as liquid as in the country. Many Chinese gold shops outside of Thailand will not purchase the stuff.

I am also aware that the really wealthy folks in Bangkok prefer to travel to Hong Kong to purchase gold jewelery and tend to avoid the Yaowarat shops.

I am also aware that the really wealthy folks in Bangkok prefer to travel to Hong Kong to purchase gold jewelery and tend to avoid the Yaowarat shops.

The wealthy like novel items. The walls of gold chains in the red shops are not novel or high end designer pieces. I think the wealthy like to shop inconspicuously and they like to receive individual attention. Perhaps this is another reason why they don't shop at Yaowarat.

Edited by aughie

This thread has made a lot of sence to me. I have two pieces - bought by the mother in law for seperate occasions - the necklace in particular gave me cause for concern because it has since snapped (or worn down) twice. Soft gold perhaps ? Either way each time i have "upgraded" to a nicer piece to hold my buddha pendant. I just checked and yes there are press marks. Perhaps tomorrow i will investigate further.

One word of warning. The family jewelers are in BKP mall - had my necklace cleaned once and i think they forgot to wash off whatever burning substance they applied - needless to say, guess who had a burning neck and an acid rash for a few days :o

I blame the mother in law personally :D

Usually gold is cleaned in an ammonia solution.

• 5 months later...
A lot about thai gold on :

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22794&hl=

if you buy jewelry the content is a bit lower as if you buy a bar .

price around 8200 – 8500 depends of the day !

Good work, you just linked back to this very same thread ! :D

(and if you were trying to link to the "Gold, What Measurement" thread, it already has a link to this thread)

with all these links to threads that are linking threads to threads, I'm starting to wonder if this forum is about sewing and tailoring (in Thailand of coure !) :o