Democrats To Form New Coalition Government

jdinasia

They should run new elections, really, if they want to avoid all kinds of legitimacy questions and wobbly coalitions.

On the other hand I'd like see some kind of a political reform, too, and not because I don't want PPP back in power (it will be too late for Thaksin anyway), but to clean up politics as a whole.

Why should it be too late for Thaksin?

If you have a majority to change the constitution you can make everything.

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" but too many on the other side viewed Thaksin's money as their prime motivating factor'..I read it as now the 'too many' are changing sides caused they can get more from the other side :o ..Dems , a clean party in Thailand, you really have a sense of humor :D:D:D

It is without doubt the cleanest party in Thailand.....

Actually it is the only party in thailand. All the others are just projects to get money/power without any ideology

best friends with the PAD cult of terror, best friends of the Juntas camouflage "democracy" and now best friends with Newin & friends.... clean as a dark corner on suk&vomit road.

call them loser, baby.

" but too many on the other side viewed Thaksin's money as their prime motivating factor'..I read it as now the 'too many' are changing sides caused they can get more from the other side :o ..Dems , a clean party in Thailand, you really have a sense of humor :D:D:D

Actually it is the only party in thailand. All the others are just projects to get money/power without any ideology

best friends with the PAD cult of terror, best friends of the Juntas camouflage "democracy" and now best friends with Newin & friends.... clean as a dark corner on suk&vomit road.

call them loser, baby.

I would call someone who was premier, many people thought premier for 20 years, and rich who is now a divorced criminal on the run a looser.

Not even with his huge amounts of money it is possible to bribe corrupt politicians in his government. As even they feel the wind of change.

Of course he can still make problems but the Newins and Banharns are leaving the sinking ship.

call them loser, baby.

I would call someone who was premier, many people thought premier for 20 years, and rich who is now a divorced criminal on the run a looser.

Not even with his huge amounts of money it is possible to bribe corrupt politicians in his government. As even they feel the wind of change.

Of course he can still make problems but the Newins and Banharns are leaving the sinking ship.

This country needs to get rid of the ex Army cadet/military money oriented rednecks that have dominated the political scene.This is a chance to install an intelligent leader who can communicate and portray a new Thai image to the rest of the world.

Newin is far from a fave of mine .. wouldn't surprise me that this is an attempt to postpone house dissolution and a snap election until the new party members of PTP have been in the party long enough to contest the next elections.

Share your objection in the view of how things are done here... how about let the "good guys" start, take over and then frame them in a way they will NEVER ever make a come back and then pull the strings a bit more until "the poor rural people" will cry loud for his help to 'rescue" them?

A highly likely, could be scenario - Pokemon is steering the galleon right now!

Expect that what one hears ans sees is NOT what is happen!

Besides time is needed to heal some wounds, to make some advances, to fill some old trenches, dig new foxholes...

Don't let yourself be fooled.

This is Thailand.

It's all bout the money.

At the end of the day , it doesn't matter who you support or who you vote for , you fools.

It's about hte next Benz for the next Mia Noi, you morons.

Usually the mia noi gets something a bit less than a Merc, if only to show the respective positions of the mia luang and the mia noi and to fit with her cute image. But your overall point stands.

If this is true its the best news since years for Thailand. The democrats have young corruption free politicians, the party has a corruption free reputation. Most of their young politicians got their education abroad. Maybe a new wind will blow over Thailand.

Non of the former PM of the democrats from Kikrut Pramoy till Chuan was ever accused of corruption, and they always give the young ones in their party a change by making place for them.

I only hope that Thai people turn a page and will give them a change and time.

I hope this will be the definitive end of the reign of Thaksin and his cronies.

Because Thailand is going to an transition very soon, we all know why. And this is not the time to let stir up things by a corrupt man who have dictatorial ambitions.

And indeed if a man like Chalerm will be caretaker its a big mistake. Corruption will not be stopped on the contrary, just look the murder case where his son was involved with. Chalerm buy of the mother of the victim to drop charges.

I also wanted the Dems to be voted in last time, and for the young Etonite to be given his chance, but his actions before, during and after the last coup have been shameful. Just another Thai politician, with no regard for anyone, making deals with army generals and minority social pressure groups in order to get his chunk of power.

The end does NOT justify the means, and the voting public have seen his colours, literally. Once the next election arrives I'd expect his numbers to plummet. Thaksin will have a field day with him come election time - rightly so.

It's very sad, as he should of been symbolic of Thailand's bright future, just like Thaksin before him, and he's proven himself to be just another one of the self-serving un-demomocratic @#*#@...

.........edited.....

Wait and see, don't think he has given up - in for the time being, maybe, but han;t given up for sure.. would you let 2 Bill. US$ just let go...?

and those "defectors", specially those 2, barnharn after his emotional reaction on the dissolution of his party... make my suspicion rising like the morning sun!

It's long from over, long way till there might be time for celebrations!

Who has come just recently back, who is wheeling and dealing behind the curtains? She hasn't come back to knit woolen socks... and bake some cookies!

Sadly until the military's influence in civilian government is utterly expunged, and the laws which prohibit freedom of speech are erased from the lawbooks (LM and "libel" as a criminal offence where you can be sued for even writing the truth), I fear we're in for much of the same - regardless of who eventually sets up the next government.

Actually, given that one of Sondhi's parting shots was that any new government must further the regressive abomination that is "New Politics" or the PAD will rise again, perhaps "more of the same" is being overly optimistic...

This is Thailand.

It's all bout the money.

At the end of the day , it doesn't matter who you support or who you vote for , you fools.

Usually the mia noi gets something a bit less than a Merc, if only to show the respective positions of the mia luang and the mia noi and to fit with her cute image. But your overall point stands.

Einstein would have said " it's all relative " .

Nevermind,. I know a lot of Thai so called Hi-So's who have bought( where the money comes from is the real question) Mercs or Beemers for their many Mia Nois.

Thanks for being smart enough not to not let them fool you .

None of them , on either side of the current political divide, gives a shit about democracy, people's welfare or Thailand's international reputation.

It's just about making sure they get their disgusting nose in the trough , next time around .

Now you can choose to wear your yellow or red blinfolds 24/7, but it ain't gonna change nothing.

This is Thailand.

It's all bout the money.

Nevermind,. I know a lot of Thai so called Hi-So's who have bought( where the money comes from is the real question) Mercs or Beemers for their many Mia Nois.

None of them , on either side of the current political divide, gives a shit about democracy, people's welfare or Thailand's international reputation.

It's just about making sure they get their disgusting nose in the trough , next time around .

Now you can choose to wear your yellow or red blinfolds 24/7, but it ain't gonna change nothing.

Right on !!!!!! Anyone that thinks different is a fool.

.........edited.....

Wait and see, don't think he has given up - in for the time being, maybe, but han;t given up for sure.. would you let 2 Bill. US$ just let go...?

and those "defectors", specially those 2, barnharn after his emotional reaction on the dissolution of his party... make my suspicion rising like the morning sun!

It's long from over, long way till there might be time for celebrations!

Who has come just recently back, who is wheeling and dealing behind the curtains? She hasn't come back to knit woolen socks... and bake some cookies!

Come on lads, any comments of this nature towards her are uncalled for, you know she,s only home to see her sick mother :D

LFSI

marshbags :D:o

Edited by marshbags

call them loser, baby.

ratssinkingshipuk0.jpg

enjoy your new flip flop friends, hypocrite.

for various reason Newin never was really welcome by the TRT. that he became a part of the thaksin cabinet was controversial, a bitter pill to swallow. and i doubt that Newin collect any plus points during the time with thaksin.

Pro-Thaksin Party claims to have Thai majority

BANGKOK (Reuters / 20 minutes ago) - The Party containing allies of ousted Thai leader Thaksin Shinawatra claimed on Sunday to have enough support to form a coalition government to succeed the administration sacked last week by the courts.

Puea Thai Party (PTP), the replacement for the now banned People Power Party (PPP) -- itself a replacement for Thaksin's banned Thai Rak Thai Party (TRT) -- countered claims by the opposition Democrat party they had picked up enough defectors to lead a coalition.

"Now we've got more than 222 votes, which exceeds the half of votes needed to form a government," Deputy PTP Leader Kanawat Wasinsungworn said. "Our former coalition partners will join us. We now have enough votes."

However, in a sign of more twists in store in interminable political strife that saw anti-Thaksin protesters take over Bangkok's main airport last week, Democrat Party Spokesman Buranaj Smutharaks said his Party and its new allies had secured 260 votes in Parliament which has a normal strength of 480.

"I can confirm that we now have about 260 votes as we said yesterday," Buranaj told Reuters.

Normally, Thailand's parliament has 480 seats but that number has been thrown into confusion by last week's court ruling against PPP, which saw dozens of MPs from PPP and two other parties barred from politics for five years.

It is unclear when by-elections will be held to fill the empty seats, or whether there might have to be another general election -- the fourth in as many years.

It is also unclear when parliament will convene to choose a new Prime Minister.

Immediately after Tuesday's court ruling, the interim PPP Cabinet said the vote should happen on December 8 and 9, although King Bhumibol Adulyadej did not grant his approval for the special session.

The influential 81-year-old monarch has since been taken ill, missing his traditional birthday eve address to the nation on Thursday. The palace said on Saturday his condition had improved.

The anti-Thaksin People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) ended its blockade of the airports the day after the court ruling, but has vowed to take to the streets once again if what it terms "Thaksin nominees" ever get close to power again.

Edited by sriracha john

call them loser, baby.

ratssinkingshipuk0.jpg

enjoy your new flip flop friends, hypocrite.

for various reason Newin never was really welcome by the TRT. that he became a part of the thaksin cabinet was controversial, a bitter pill to swallow. and i doubt that Newin collect any plus points during the time with thaksin.

If everyone who isn't amazed by the good-doings of the PPP governments is a hypocrite in your eyes than I like to be one as well.

This is Thailand.

It's all bout the money.

Right on !!!!!! Anyone that thinks different is a fool.

Yes of course ... that is why without an educated crowd this country will never move forward ... perhaps they should change the flag (once more) to have the proper colors ... red/yellow and (pink? green? ...)

takeaway.

guess the "forces of good" figured out it was cheaper to bribe MP's then it was to finance airport seizures.

do what you got to do.

What's with all this bribe and payoff nonsense. While all politicians are not sqeaky clean, at least the Dems have the country in the best interest not their personal finacial gains. At this piont anyone is better than Toxin and his kleeng ons. Thailand will be better off with a young fresh mind!

Toxin got the support because the development of the villages of northeast and northern was very slow under other government.

Yes because the Democrats had no money after Chavalit lead the country into crises, with the help pf Banharn and Thaksin.

Politicians always have money

Democrat Party seeks parliamentary session to elect new PM Monday

BANGKOK: -- The Democrat Party is gathering names of at least one third of all MPs in the House of Representatives to submit to the House Speaker to petition his opening of an extraordinary session of Parliament to elect new prime minister on Monday.

After a Sunday afternoon meeting of party executives and MPs, Democrat spokesman Dr. Buranaj Smutharaks told a press conference that the meeting agreed to the Democrat Party forming a new government and assigned party secretary-general Suthep Thaugsuban to gather names of one-third of all members of Parliament to formally ask that an extraordinary session of parliament open Monday morning to elect a new prime minister.

The spokesman also said the party was concerned about group of critics who spread untruths that the army had a hand in setting up the new coalition government, charges that tarnished both the Army's image and that of the parties.

Dr. Buranaj emphasised that the army was not involved in any process and the party has held to its values of not doing anything unlawful, unconstitutional or otherwise inappropriate in a democratic system.

He said the political factions who had decided to join the Democrat party wouldn't return to join the other side, and that it is the right of all MPs to apply their beliefs and ideals to choose the future of the country by themselves.

-- TNA 2008-12-07

Thaksin loyalists desperate to stay in power

BANGKOK, Thailand (Associated Press / 1 hour ago) — Loyalists of exiled former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra tried desperately to remain in power Sunday, even offering the prime minister's job to smaller parties that have abandoned their coalition and joined the opposition.

The offer came a day after the opposition Democrat Party announced that it is ready to form the next government after mustering the support of about 250 lawmakers in the 480-member lower house of Parliament. It said enough members from the pro-Thaksin coalition have defected to give the Democrats the required number.

"The number of lawmakers that the Democrats have is 250ish," said Buranaj Smutharaks, a Democrat Party spokesman. Thaksin loyalists can't form the new government "as far as I know," he said.

The jockeying for power has suddenly shaken Thailand out of a political paralysis which set in when the People's Alliance for Democracy, an anti-Thaksin activist group, occupied the prime minister's office six months ago. Its campaign culminated in its shutdown of the country's main international airport on Nov. 25.

Thaksin remains at the center of the country's political turmoil. He fled the country in July and is living in the United Arab Emirates, but continues to have a heavy influence on politics.

More than 300,000 travelers were stranded by the week-long airport shutdown, which dealt a heavy blow to the country's tourism-dependent economy.

The airport siege ended Wednesday, a day after the government — made up of the pro-Thaksin People's Power Party and its five coalition partners — was toppled by a court order for election fraud. The People's Power Party and two others were abolished and Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat was banned from politics for five years.

But many members of the People's Power Party regrouped in the new Puea Thai Party (PTP), while some of its coalition partners joined the Democrats.

In an apparent bid to woo back the defectors, Puea Thai Party's newly elected Leader, Yongyuth Wichaidit, said Sunday he is willing to give the prime minister's job to one of them.

"Puea Thai Party does not want the prime minister's post. The people from the coalition parties will work together and say who will be the prime minister," Yongyuth told reporters.

The political wrangling will not be resolved until Parliament meets within the next 30 days to form a new government, to be led by whichever group controls a majority of the seats. No date has been set for the session.

If the Democrat Party holds the majority, its Oxford-educated leader Abhisit Vejjajiva, 44, is expected to become the new prime minister.

On Sunday, he invited more lawmakers "who share the same values to work together and extricate the country from this crisis" to join the Democrats. "If the Democrat Party forms the government, I will try to boost the confidence and revive the tourism industry and the image of the country," he said.

His party's supporters include Bangkok's middle class, influential military figures and foreign investors who see him as a stabilizing force.

DAAD denounces Democrat coalition as 'coup in disguise'

BANGKOK: -- The pro-Thaksin Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship Sunday alleged that the formation of the Democrat-led coalition was a "coup in disguise" because it was arranged by the military.

DAAD leaders, who are hosts of the Truth Today programme on NBT, vowed to expose alleged military interference in politics during the planned mobile Truth Today gathering at the National Stadium on Saturday (Dec 13).

The Truth Today hosts - Veera Musigapong, Jatuporn Promphan and Natthawut Saikua - held a press conference to attack the military and the Democrat Party.

Veera said he was informed that leading members of certain political parties were called to a meeting at the house of a senior military officer Saturday night and they were told to support the Democrat as the next coalition leader.

Veera said the general told the parties' representatives that he received an order from someone.

"So, we, in the name of red-shirted people, would like to call this as a coup in disguise," Veera said.

-- The Nation 2008-12-07

"So, we, in the name of red-shirted people, would like to call this as a coup in disguise," Veera said.

Trash talk all you like, but just try and take the airports, redcoats, and see what happens!

Double standard?

You bethca!

Edited by Jingthing

Very good article in BKK Pundit about formation of new govt.

New Rule

Posted by Bangkok Pundit | 12/07/2008 04:00:00 PM

Can Thai politicians not form governments on weekends! If isn't Thai politics complicated and busy enough we have government-forming on Friday night, Saturday night and then Sunday morning. I had planned to catch on other things. Argh! End of rant.

Briefly, as of 4pm, Tulsie still thinks that it is not certain.

Ok, I'm still in a couple of minds on how to about on the day's events whether in one post or multiple posts. First, Matichon has some interesting articles, particularly this one and this highlighted (by Matichon) part:

"แต่ที่สำคัญสำคัญคือ มีคำขอจากนายทหารใหญ่อ้างบุคคลที่ไม่อาจปฏิเสธได้ ซึ่งคิดว่า ถึงเวลานี้(ค่ำวันที่ 6 ธันวาคม) คงอนยู่กับพรรคประชาธิปัตย์แน่นอน แต่เชื่อว่า ในวันลงมติเลือกนายกฯคงมีการทุ่มซื้อตัว ส.ส.กันอย่างมาก" แกนนำพรรคร่วมรัฐบาลเดิมกล่าว

"But what was important, there was a request from a senior military person who referred to a person who cannot be refused. thought that it was time (evening of December 6) that I will definitely be with the Democrats, but believe that on the day we choose the PM there will be great payment for the purchase of MPs" said of the leaders of the former coalition government.

BP: Anupong's spokesman has admitted that Anupong spoke to some politicians on Friday night. Person who cannot be refused? Who could that possibly be? Hmm.. Which person has moved coalition partners to the Democrats in the past? For an idea on who, read McCargo's network monarchy article.

btw, how many joined up yesterday to strengthen their bargaining position (ie value) today?

Trust me on this one.

Newin Chidchob is a very powerful figure in the Northeast and always in the thick of trouble with his father giving him guidance.

Any corruption talk in Buriram and there is plenty usually has his name not far from it.

As his roots are Khmer you also get the usual Voodoo talk. This freaks the locals out and you can't get to much on it from them.

Without doubt the majority of the everyday people in his area are playing flat out for the red team.

I can t see any way Newin can side with the Democrats for long or be counted on as a trusted vote for them.

As I said before its a Trojan horse situation with this guy.

Edited by nickynomates

oo29.gif

Yongyuth Vichaidit

1533.jpg

Miss Yingluck Shinawatra

Puea Thai Party selects Yongyuth Vichaidit as new Leader

Members of Puea Thai Party selected Yongyuth Vichaidit as the new Party's Leader today (December 7), together with 12 party's other executives.

Miss Yingluck Shinawatra, former premier Thaksin’s younger sister, was not nominated as earlier anticipated.

The Party was established to be the new Party of the dissolved People Power Party MPs. Puea Thai Party acting Registrar Kamol Bandaipetch nominated his Party's acting Leader Yongyuth as the Party's new Leader during its extraordinary meeting today.

Yongyuth was the only nominated Leader.

The Party’s resolution was in line with the Constitution's Article 35. The meeting also selected 12 other executives, including Deputy Leader, Secretary-General, Treasurer, Registrar, Spokesman, Deputy Spokesman, and three other executives.

Miss Yingluck also attended the meeting.

Former premier Somchai Wongsawat and his wife Yaowapa, also Thaksin's younger sister, went to the party and spent one hour there before leaving.

- Thai News / 2008-12-07

Edited by sriracha john