Accommodation And Newbie Advice For Trip To Phuket

GDeV

Calling Phuket!

A friend of mine is coming to Phuket for a holiday and has asked me for some advice. I've given him general advice about Thailand, however, I've never been to Phuket, so I am hoping some of you can help me with his more specific requirements.

He would like to be in a quiet area, i.e. somewhere where you are not woken up by fellow drunken Brits shouting and singing outside at 4 a.m. or prevented from sleeping in the first place by thumping music from discos and bars. BUT – he also wants to be near the nightlife.

I've done some basic research, and think that he will find what he is looking for in Soi Bangla on Patong beach, and I've told him Bangkok price ranges for ST and LT, I assume they are much the same in Phuket? However, I assume that is too noisy an area to stay in. I was going to suggest that he stays on the neighbouring Karon beach and commutes to the night life, but then I read on this forum that a tuktuk from Karon to Patong costs 400 baht each way. This seems outrageous (I live in Bangkok and 400 baht would get you a long way in a taxi here), but I assume it's a TIT thing.

He is looking for a clean, guest friendly room, with a/c (I know it's cool in Phuket now, but he's coming from an English winter, so might take him a few days to acclimatise), UBC (most importantly BBC World), daily room cleaning, safety deposit (at reception is OK, does not have to be in the room). A swimming pool and sea view would be nice, but his budget might not stretch, especially with the collapse of the pound against the baht.

Comments and ideas please?

i dont know how you came to the conclusion that soi bangla is quiet! not the perfect choice for him i would say, especially if he does like to sleep sometimes.

i used to stay at a place called Jinnys whcih is up near Montes pub on Sainamyen road. nice little guesthouse with a pool.

I would Recommend Rawai area, if he wants quiet, i think one of the nicest beaches on the island ( nai harn ), you have to remember if he can drive a motorbike, its not a big deal to go over the hill to kata for a night, or if he wants to go to patong, its no big deal to hire a tuk tuk over here, its better to be drunk as a fart in the back of a tuk tuk then to be driving your motorbike.

If you are serious about Bangla area of Patong then I recommend the Ex Pat Hotel which is a short stagger from Bangla Road yet has quite a tranquil atmosphere, small pool, nice cheap restaurant, nice staff, guests allowed, 5 min to beach, good value for money. Just google 'expat patong' for more info.

Calling Phuket!

A friend of mine is coming to Phuket for a holiday and has asked me for some advice. I've given him general advice about Thailand, however, I've never been to Phuket, so I am hoping some of you can help me with his more specific requirements.

The pinned topic "Phuket Hotels" on this board should be helpful, have your friend look around a bit:

http://www.r24.org/hotels.thaivisa.com/phuket/hotels

P.S. when I use to come here as a tourist I would stay at The CNN at the top of Soi Bangla. No pool, but the VIP rooms have an extra large bathtub.

Edited by huggybear