Excellent Gay Farang Blog

Steve2UK

I came across this by accident - linked from another blog site I was reading - and it's so good I want to recommend it to others. The author appears to be a mature (up to you how you define that) farang, previously teaching in BKK and now working for a company there - and he has a long-term 30 year-old Thai boyfriend. The writing is excellent, the insights nicely observed and wryly phrased - and he is also very self-knowing. Very much a BKK-centric view of life - but still with enough to inform/entertain those who live away from the megalopolis.

Oh - I nearly forgot to mention.......... the written entries are adorned with enough Thai-guy eye-candy to satisfy even Peaceblondie (well, for a while anyhow :o )

http://bkkmindscape.blogspot.com/search/la...hai%20boyfriend

I found it rather tedious. Bland pictures of Chinese models.

Conversations with the guy at 7/11. Mwa.

Wow - you're a fast reader........ or did you not get any further than "conversations with the guy at 7/11"? There is a lot more than that. Rather reminds me of the Woody Allen gag: "I took one of those speed-reading courses and got through 'War and Peace' in five minutes........... it's about Russia". :o

As to the pictures - each to their own :D .

Edited by Steve2UK

Actually, that blog started here, by a member whose idea this subforum was originally (and who was asked to be one of the original mods) but because of terminal trolling it moved elsewhere.

That blog made me ill with its constant ragging on a class of Thais and then making generalizations from that. But simply an internet forum isn't the place for blogging if people do not want different opinions to be expressed about the writing and the subject matter.

As Orchis and Jdinasia said...TEDIOUS! BORING! It's just bad writing. "My boyfriend has some old clothes...blah, blah...old lady down the hall, blah blah!" I did not even read the 7/11 story!

Though I disagree about the Chinese models! Those I like, but certainly would not log on to this site to see them as most are old stock photo's that have been used for several years.

But I have thought of one use for this blog. Being a flight attendant I suffer from jet lag...so maybe a quick read after arriving on that early morning flight into BKK will put me out for for the afternoon.

Very mundane. Other than the usual thai twinkie shots - offers no additional insight into being farang in a candystore.

I have to agree. The blogster has way too much time on his hands. To read his blog further, I have too little time.... :o

Really nothing interesting in it. Rather run-of-the-mill kind of stuff. Do we constantly have to be reminded that he has a "Thai boyfriend"?

Well - some interesting reactions.........

I didn't know that this blog had started here; a fine pedigree but I can readily understand IJWT's point about "terminal trolling" and think it's far better where it now is. I doubt that - even when it was here - the writer intended it as a manual for how any let alone all gay farang should handle life in LOS - more as a description of events in his life and his thoughts about them. Agreeing with his thoughts or not is, to me, neither here nor there - I get enjoyment and some enlightenment from seeing another's perspective well expressed.

Liking/disliking a style is inevitably 100% subjective. While happy with a Grisham, I also really enjoy Garrison Keillor ("Lake Woebegone Days" etc). Not a lot happens but the wit is dry and the observations wry. Before those who type quicker than they think jump in - no, I'm not saying the writer has Keillor's stature, only that the style and feel are IMO similar..........

Regarding the final comment quoted above.............. Erm, the title of the blog section is "Thai boyfriend". I suppose you could have "War and Peace" without mentioning Russia so much - but somehow it just wouldn't be the same. As it happens, there are many other subjects the blogger covers under their own headings, including some that comment on political matters :o - but that's a whole other can of worms....... :D

Finally, for the sake of accuracy, I should really have said "asian-guy eye candy" in the OP and not 'Thai-guy". It seems I don't have flightcrew1's connoisseur eye and expertise in this field :D - but then it also doesn't bother me if they're models, Chinese or otherwise. As it happens, many are Thai and some aren't.

I'm happy if I drew the attention of some to something they might enjoy - but, again, each to their own.

Liking/disliking a style is inevitably 100% subjective. While happy with a Grisham, I also really enjoy Garrison Keillor ("Lake Woebegone Days" etc). Not a lot happens but the wit is dry and the observations wry. Before those who type quicker than they think jump in - no, I'm not saying the writer has Keillor's stature, only that the style and feel are IMO similar..........

Your completely right. What is interesting to others is not to some. But that said, thank you for bringing it to my attention. I did pass it over to another friend who has said he has enjoyed the bits he read.

My comments and feeling still stand but I have found many interesting things through referrals on Thai Visa so do keep them coming if you run across anything else.

Oh and as for the having a connoisseur eye...mmmmm Thank you?? ha ha.