Visa-exempt Entry From Laos?

My Thai student visa is about to expire but I plan on staying in Thailand for about another month after it does. Just before my student visa expires I have a short trip to Laos planned, crossing the land border both ways. If I don't get a re-entry permit, am I correct in assuming that my student visa gets automatically cancelled upon leaving Thailand for Laos and that this will allow me a visa-exempt entry back into Thailand for an additional 30 days? Or will I be charged money for a new visa at the Lao-Thai border when I attempt to cross back into Thailand? How much would that cost? (I'm an EU passport holder)

Not 100 % sure on the ED visa, but I would guess with no re-entry permit it will be cancelled.

The flaw in your plan is that you will only get 15 days visa exempt at a land border - read more on the numerous threads on this topic.

My Thai student visa is about to expire but I plan on staying in Thailand for about another month after it does. Just before my student visa expires I have a short trip to Laos planned, crossing the land border both ways. If I don't get a re-entry permit, am I correct in assuming that my student visa gets automatically cancelled upon leaving Thailand for Laos and that this will allow me a visa-exempt entry back into Thailand for an additional 30 days? Or will I be charged money for a new visa at the Lao-Thai border when I attempt to cross back into Thailand? How much would that cost? (I'm an EU passport holder)

If your Visa has expired which it will when you leave,you will only get 15 days on re entry to Thailand.

You can get a Tourist Visa from Vientiene. 1,000 Baht. This will get you 60 days. You cannot get one at the border.

Please do not confuse things by calling it a VOA.

It is a visa exempt entry.

A Visa On Arrival is not the same. You have to apply and pay for it when you arrive and only gives 15 days at any time and is only given to people from certain countries.

Edited by ubonjoe