How To Open A Bank Account In Thailand?

Hi,

I need to open a Thai bank account for my stay in Thailand.

Which bank is best for convenience? I like a bank that has a lot of ATMs and branches around the country.

How can a foreigner open a Thai bank account? What documents do I need and what is the minimum deposit?

There have been heaps of threads about this.

They might refuse to let you open an account when you don't have a work permit. If this happens, just go from one bank to another, there will be one willing to open an account soon enough. It can even happen that in the same city, one branch office of the same bank refuses you, and another branch office accepts.

For a foreigner I think Katsikorn Bank is the best (they are networked very well with foreign banks), second best is Bangkok Bank. Both Katsikorn and Bangkok Bank have lots of branch offices and ATM's.

Bring your passport, and work permit if you have one. If there is a minimum deposit, it will be very low. For an ATM card you will be charged a few hundred Baht.

Edited by keestha

I have read up on a few threads.

I was wondering if I need to bring a statement from my local bank stating that I am in "good standing" with them, my utilities/phone bills and my latest bank statements.

I would most likely go to Bangkok Bank at Silom road.

As noted, this question is asked just in this sub-forum about twice a week. From previous threads you will see that each bank employee, in each branch, in each bank works in there own little bubble about what they see as allowable/necessary re: starting an account.

So no point asking here what papers to take - take all you have. If they still say no then walk down the road and try your luck in the next bubble.

I was wondering if I need to bring a statement from my local bank stating that I am in "good standing" with them, my utilities/phone bills and my latest bank statements.

Dont think that will make one bit of difference opening an account here,either they will tell you, you need a WP, if they tell you this then you have to try other banks and eventually you will find one who will open an account for you

I opened one in Udon with Kasikorn, No work permit, just home address and passport. Charged 300 Baht for ATM card all done in 10 min.

I just opened a Savings account at Bangkok Bank on 2nd road in Pattaya in October so what I am saying is fact and not guess work. I did this on a tourist visa.

All Bangkok Bank wanted was a Residency Certificate. I got this from Immigration in Jomtien on Soi 5. The hardest part of all this was getting a contract written up and signed by the guy I was renting my room from with his CONTACT details (address and phone number or essentially my contact details as to where I live). Once I had this, a copy of the contract, a copy of my passport, a couple passport pictures, a copy of the entry stamp and departure card in my passport plus 200 baht I got the Residency Certificate.

I went back to Bangkok Bank with this and I had my savings account with ATM card in about 15 minutes. NOTE: They will not give you access to on-line banking unless you have a one year visa.

I have heard that Kasikorn Bank does not require anything and that is hear-say, not fact.

Edited by oneday

The posters that say they had no problems opening an account 6 months ago, 1, 2, or 3 years ago are not trying to open accounts yesterday or today. We all know TIT and everyday is a new experience in what they come up with.

As stated gather up all your documents and start asking in the bank of your choice. They all do something called banking, they are all in competition with each other for your money. Some do a better job of what we call service. If it's just a simple savings account with an attached ATM card almost any bank will do. Some have a stronger presence in areas of the country than others.

Get out from behind the keyboard and start asking and then you can post your results here and add to the growing list of folks that have had a new experience opening a bank account.

You can get Savings Accounts with Bangkok Bank and K-Bank if you have an Non-Immigrant B visa, it doesn't have to be a work permit, although junior staff will give you the standard "need a work permit" response. Ask for a manager, and I think it makes sense to go to a larger branch.

I haven't heard of any banks that will open an account these days without at least a Non-Immigrant B. With a work permit you can get one almost anywhere. You just need to bring your passport and can walk out with a debit card.

I just opened a personal bank account at a Kasikorn bank branch. They only asked for my passport, Thailand address, email address and mobile number. I bought a dtac prepaid card when I landed at the airport. Minimum deposit is 500 THB. 300 THB for the ATM card, which is a VISA debit card. I also applied for internet banking, which is free. The bank teller told me that it would be activated within 3 days.

I also just learnt that Kasikorn bank is actually a Chinese Thai farmers' bank. Interesting....

I just opened a personal bank account at a Kasikorn bank branch. They only asked for my passport, Thailand address, email address and mobile number. I bought a dtac prepaid card when I landed at the airport. Minimum deposit is 500 THB. 300 THB for the ATM card, which is a VISA debit card. I also applied for internet banking, which is free. The bank teller told me that it would be activated within 3 days.

I also just learnt that Kasikorn bank is actually a Chinese Thai farmers' bank. Interesting....

What did you do for an address? As I will be living in Hotel for first few days that I arrive in LOS, I would like to setup and get the ball rolling on my transition.

Hi,

I need to open a Thai bank account for my stay in Thailand.

Which bank is best for convenience? I like a bank that has a lot of ATMs and branches around the country.

How can a foreigner open a Thai bank account? What documents do I need and what is the minimum deposit?

:o

1. I have had a Thai bank account with Bangkok Bank for 20 years. Then it was easy to open one. It isn't so easy today.

2. Bangkok Bank or Kasikom Bank, as mentioned, are the best choices.

3. Bangkok Bank has many branches in BKK. If one won't take you, another may. Keep trying.

4. They will tell you that you need a work permit...but this is Thailand (TIT) so you never know.

5. Your 'minimum' deposit may be low, but if you really want to open an account,then try to make an initial deposit of as much as you can afford. You can remove that amount after the account is opened, and keep the balance down if you want to. No one will notice. Thai banks are just as "money interested" as any bank. If you can put at least a $1000 in as a opening balance, even if you take much of it out a few days later, a clerk may be more interested than if you try to open an account with $100.

6. If you have a Thai partner to open a joint account with, you are much more likely to get an account than otherwise. Of course, you need one you can trust. I have one, so I took that route. It also gives you credibility if you have a "real" Thai address you can list. Use the partner's address.

7. Irregardless of what and where you try to open an account, remember, you are on display to the bank. So show up well dressed, and have a vailid reason you want to open the account. ( I intend to be living in Thailand for some time, and I need a bank to handle transfers into the country from the U.S./U.K./Germany/Japan/etc. is a good one) Don't be the obvious demanding Farang and don't raise your voice. Don't make the clerks lose "face"...it is important in Thailand and you will get nowhere if you do.

8. But the most important thing is to be polite, but keep trying. Good luck.

:D

Edited by IMA_FARANG