Deleting Posts

lostvan

An interesting area of copyright law that I don't believe has been tested.

Cheers

Are you referring to TV's policy of not (normally) deleting a member's posts upon request ?

As we are all supposed to read and agree to the Forum Rules, one would have to remember the following bit:

When a message is placed in any forum on thaivisa, you are granting a soft license to Thaivisa.com to use it.

The forum rules also apply to Photo Galleries, Classifieds and Member Web logs, Blogs, Live Chat.

So in effect, once you've added anything to the site, it becomes the property of ThaiVisa as I understand it.

Like you've said though, I'm not sure if that has ever been tested. Wouldn't it be similar to writing a letter to the editor that gets printed ? No chance you'd ever be able to go back and ask them to "unprint" it.

Once something has been posted to a public internet forum, it would be exceedingly difficult to erase for the "net", as there would be virtually no way of knowing if it had been copied, by who, how many times, or cached by gahd knows how many search engines, spiders/bots, etc.

Edited by Kerryd

Kerryd is right in most points.

At the same time you're place a post on an public forum you grant that the forum has all rights for to use that post in any way they want within that forum.

Or let say it in easy words: It is still your property but you didn't have any control over it because you had transferred that control to the forum and it's on the will of that forum to do with your property what the forum want.

Cheers.