I Think I Was Just Sworn At!

Hannahcopacabana

I was just walking down to 7 to pay my bills when a motorcy guy from my soi yelled something that sounded distinctly like "Birdsh!t" at me. I turned around to meet his eye and his face was totally blank so I couldn't identify the sentiment behind it. His friend asked him, in Thai, if I had understood and the first man said something back that I didn't catch. Then they both laughed. :o

I know that there is a derogatory expression in Thai, which translates as "birdsh!t foreigner." Is it likely that this is what he was saying? Or is there a (more friendly!) Thai phrase that he was saying and I totally misunderstood him?

If it helps, the first syllable was elongated, with a high tone, and the second syllable was clipped and mid-tone.

I'm always polite and friendly to everyone I meet so I can't believe I have earned the ill feeling of my neigbours. Having said that - I was looking rather scruffy and wearing fisherman's pants cos it's laundry day so maybe I asked for it! :D

did he say 'farang kii nok'?

No, he said "Birdsh!t." If he had said "farang kii nok", I wouldn't have had a clue -I don't know any swear words in Thai (maybe I should learn! :o )

I read the thread DavidHouston linked and it was very interesting. Perhaps seeing a farang doing her own washing was enough to prompt a spiteful response, I don't know. But I was surprised (maybe unfairly) that moto driver would know the English translation of a Thai epithet. That's why I asked if there was a Thai phrase that sounded like "Birdsh!t."

In my experience it's really unlikely that anybody, including motorcycle taxis, would just spew out an insult unprovoked, unless you've given them the impression that jabbing you is okay.

I hate to disagree with a mod, but even though it does not happen often, the fact is, it does. It has happened to me over the last 8 years probably 15 to 20 times. I suppose in the scheme of things that's not a lot, but it was still 15 or 20 times unwarranted and unprovoked and demonstrated the low (no) class of some Thais and the underlying racism and xenophobia some have. But as constantly discussed on this site , it's something that is not going to change.

In my experience it's really unlikely that anybody, including motorcycle taxis, would just spew out an insult unprovoked, unless you've given them the impression that jabbing you is okay.

I hate to disagree with a mod, but even though it does not happen often, the fact is, it does. It has happened to me over the last 8 years probably 15 to 20 times. I suppose in the scheme of things that's not a lot, but it was still 15 or 20 times unwarranted and unprovoked and demonstrated the low (no) class of some Thais and the underlying racism and xenophobia some have. But as constantly discussed on this site , it's something that is not going to change.

Well, experiences can differ.

If you're sure you're right I obviously can't say otherwise since I'm not you, and wasn't there. All I can say is that I've never had it happen to me in 7 years of living here, and another 6 coming here regularly. And I do understand the language quite well by now, at least well enough to know all the common insults. :o

While we're on the subject - a street vendor outside my offices yelled "Bow" (as in bough) at me this week (High/falling tone). What's that about? :o

It can't have been the state of (un)dress that time as I was wearing business formal!

I'm being told it means Man, but I don't get how it's used. Is he just yelling "man" at you? Some sort of acknowledgement?

Interestlingly, on my first day in Thailand, a little over two years ago now, a motorcy driver asked me: You want motorcy? I turned to him and said in English "Not today," with a Thai smile. I moved on and heard him shouting at me in English: "<deleted>*k you". It made me cry. I had just arrived from India where I lived for many years and I was still wearing my yogini robe and shawl, quite similar to what the Thai nuns wear. Because of that, I was even more stunned.

Edited by tulipgirl

You really get the broad spectrum with the moto-taxi drivers. This seems to be the vogue thing now

saying "fug-ou" if you decline their services. Other favorites are "hee-ah" short for "a-hee-ah" or

"dum" short for "jai-dum" and "nook" short for "kee-nook". I try to seek out the nice fellas and just

consistently use the same guys. I'm not going to waste time sugar-coating it. Some of them are

impossibly nice and polite, others are complete as_holes who shouldn't be working in service industry.

You really get the broad spectrum with the moto-taxi drivers. This seems to be the vogue thing now

saying "fug-ou" if you decline their services. Other favorites are "hee-ah" short for "a-hee-ah" or

"dum" short for "jai-dum" and "nook" short for "kee-nook". I try to seek out the nice fellas and just

consistently use the same guys. I'm not going to waste time sugar-coating it. Some of them are

impossibly nice and polite, others are complete as_holes who shouldn't be working in service industry.

Sorry for being so dumb, but I too have heard Thai friends joking with each other and saying "hee-ah"

what does this mean?

Dave

It means literally "monitor lizard", supposedly a grevious insult but this is the problem with joking

and swearing. Yes, I also hear the Thais incessantly calling each other this. I suppose it is the

inflection or emotion you put into the pronunciation as to how it should be construed. I used to go

watch Thai movies and of course they're swearing at each other with every breath, it's hard not

to begin realizing what some of these things mean. The other thing I've noticed lately is the

constant coughing up of plegm when someone passes as if that is an insult? In defense of the

Thais, for no good reason I stay in the patters area and we have absolutely the worst of the worst.

It means literally "monitor lizard", supposedly a grevious insult but this is the problem with joking

and swearing. Yes, I also hear the Thais incessantly calling each other this. I suppose it is the

inflection or emotion you put into the pronunciation as to how it should be construed. I used to go

watch Thai movies and of course they're swearing at each other with every breath, it's hard not

to begin realizing what some of these things mean. The other thing I've noticed lately is the

constant coughing up of plegm when someone passes as if that is an insult? In defense of the

Thais, for no good reason I stay in the patters area and we have absolutely the worst of the worst.

Thank for the explanation and your last sentence comes as no surprise :o

Merry Xmas

Dave

"hee-a"

It means literally "monitor lizard", supposedly a grevious insult because

it is the same word for c..t in Thai.

To be fair to some of these guys I am sure they understand how strong the insult f..k you is to say to someone in English.

If you watch some of the popular Thai comedy films a the cinema the last few years I have been hearing this quite a bit thrown into the Thai dialogue.

constant coughing up of plegm when someone passes as if that is an insult?

Isn't that the same in every language/culture? Friends use vulgar terms for each other, without meaning it as an insult, is certainly very normal in Spanish and English.

Some people in one circle of Thai friends like to joke around by coughing AND saying ไอ้เหี้ย at the same time (I'm not sure if that is widespread or not, though).

It does seem very much the same. And the more I add to my tiny body of Thai language

knowledge, the more I see similarities in patterns of joking, or swearing at loved ones

in an endearing fashion. :o Still, the insulting thing is becoming something of a national

pasttime and it happens everywhere in Thailand. More in the tourist centers because there

is a higher density of foreigners and disgruntled service workers. I can only imagine that

starting to use English language insults without mastery of tones is perhaps disingenuous.

I'm also from the school of thought that it's somewhat dangerous understanding all the "bad words" that

on a moment of anger perhaps you would chose to use them but here, it's an everyday occurence

listening to this stuff and even just from context, after 20 times of being called something by strangers

you begin to realize it's a derogatory term. So, maybe it's beneficial to know what they mean, perhaps

it gives you some warning or awareness, I don't know. It definitely is a window into the soul of some of

these people. Just the other day I was exiting the royal garden and some Thai vendor is sitting on the

steps singing this song he made up to passersby. "mun-seeuh, mun-seeuh, dum,dum,hee-ah,hee-ah"

I guess he figured with the musical quality he was giving it, no-one would guess he was being insulting. :o

...More in the tourist centers because there is a higher density of foreigners and disgruntled service workers...

You are probably right about that.

Now that you mention it I did actually notice a couple of motorcycle drivers in Jomtien shouting the f word at a westerner who refused to acknowledge their existence.

Exactly, when they begin shouting TAXI,TAXI,TAXI, your Thai friends tell you

the polite thing to say is "mai-ow krap" but then you still get an earful? So then

you try and just wave them off politely as if to say "no thank-you" and you still

get an earful so eventually you just completely ignore them, often looking in

the other direction as if they're speaking martian. But what do they care? If

they're obnoxious with 100 potential customers during the day and score 10

with inflated ride prices they will still come out ahead. They are not all like that

but many are. Viewing all foreigners as one-shot-only tickets. Anything goes. :o

Exactly, when they begin shouting TAXI,TAXI,TAXI, your Thai friends tell you

the polite thing to say is "mai-ow krap" but then you still get an earful? So then

you try and just wave them off politely as if to say "no thank-you" and you still

get an earful so eventually you just completely ignore them, often looking in

the other direction as if they're speaking martian. But what do they care? If

they're obnoxious with 100 potential customers during the day and score 10

with inflated ride prices they will still come out ahead. They are not all like that

but many are. Viewing all foreigners as one-shot-only tickets. Anything goes. :lol:

I'm a fairly big guy with a no-nonsense demeanour and look about myself. I've never had a problem with motorcycle taxis (I don't use them) more for the fact that I think my size scares them into a bit of humility (eg: engage brain before opening my mouth to a rather large ferang). Mind you I was on Soi 25 Sumkhumvit at night recently and was rather impressed by a bunch of motorcycle taxi lads having a few bottles of beer while waiting for customers. The Thai copper walking past with a blind eye to the drunken merriment was the icing on the cake...funny how Thong Lor cop shop is just down the road...hmmm

Is there anybody with an answer to the OP?

Same thing happened to me yesterday, motorbike taxi guy said "Birdshit" (not "kee nok") as I was getting onto the back of another bike in the same gang. I couldn't 100% say that it was directed at me but seemed that way.

These are my local motorbike taxi gang that I use at least twice a day. I generally give them a bit more than the going rate so don't think they could have been implying that I'm stingy (although there is every possibility they could have been saying that I am stupid!)

Yes, I suppose it helps to be a strapping foreigner with a menacing air about you.

They do seem to have that unfortunate tendency to pick on the old , the weak or

the mild-mannered among us. OR just simply act like your crazy, raving mad etc.

Somebody said before perhaps there is more than one clear meaning to this

expression. I can see how it could mean someone choosing to stay a long-time

instead of just a low-class tourist / backpacker / penniless white person. :o

It is kind of a gang mentality. When you get 5-6 of them together they appear very

bold with comments they make to strangers. However, if you happen to catch them

alone, they're usually not so quick with the unpleasant comments meant to impress

their peer group. In general, the trash-talking is getting way out of hand though.

birdshit - in thai accent - burrtchee - which means- need to piss? :o

And theres not way they would know that keenok means birdshit in english and be able to say it, unless some other farang has been having laughs teaching them these things. Maybe its one of the guys' names. Or maybe he was wanting to go to "pleon Chit!".

Edited by OxfordWill

Is there anybody with an answer to the OP?

Same thing happened to me yesterday, motorbike taxi guy said "Birdshit" (not "kee nok") as I was getting onto the back of another bike in the same gang. I couldn't 100% say that it was directed at me but seemed that way.

These are my local motorbike taxi gang that I use at least twice a day. I generally give them a bit more than the going rate so don't think they could have been implying that I'm stingy (although there is every possibility they could have been saying that I am stupid!)

And, who says that the English language is not penetrating deep into Thai culture? For those of you who are teachers of English here, you should be gratified at the extent of the penetration, if not with the content. Congratulations!