Are Thai Upcountry Massage Parlour Owners Farang Friendly?, Why No Signs In English?

Mobi

With no signs in English, for those of us morons who can't read Thai they are sometimes quite difficult to find :D

Is it because they are worried that farangs might lure away their most beautiful (i.e. valuable) assets with a swathe of ATM cards?

Or are they just plain anti farang?

Don't you think it is very rude to effectively bar one of the main benefactors of Issan culture from one of the most popular pastimes in Thailand?

I think there should be a law stating that every Massage parlour and karaoke bar carry signs in English.

After all, the road signs are all in English - well they are until you almost reach your destination, whereupon they suddenly appear in Thai only.

What say you? Shall we all gather together and march on U-Tapao Airport? :o

Whistle what -- COLONEL BOGEY?

What don't you understand or have yet to learn about massage parlours or karaokes in Thailand? I think they are all similar in every Province

Gosh, horsedoctor lady, I think if you read the OP and his subsequent post, there is a smidgeon of sarcasm in there. This is not as well constructed as Sir Burr's lament on his domestic staffing problems because it is so obvious. Surely, you don't believe that someone actually expects brothels to hang out a sign that advertises All The Delights of Sodom Gomorrah, for just 299baht. Come try our lay away plan?

How do you sustain or grow a business? By marketing and advertising - and if you'll excuse the expression, word of mouth. If the management of a business doesn't provide an English facility then I assume that they do not want my business. Suits me fine. I'll spend my money elsewhere.

I've visited only three up country palaces displaying coloured lights. The appearance and quality of the staff have ensured that I'll never visit another one. I do have a gik in five different towns now, in my view, a much more sensible and rewarding arrangement.

One tried-and-tested method, to get round this apparent problem, is simply to speak more loudly in English, or alternatively use franglais , I've heard ? Johnny-foreigner gets there in the end, gadzooks ! :D

You've given me a wonderful idea.

On my next trip up country I'll hire one of those pickups with a microphone and speakers stacked at the back. Then I can travel through the villages shouting as loud as I can through the PA system in English asking for directions to the nearest massage parlour.

I could also sell a few vegetables on the side :o

All The Delights of Sodom Gomorrah, for just 299baht. Come try our lay away plan?

"Lay" away? Isn't that where some agreeable service provider follows a person back to his (or her) abode? I would think that most massage parlours offer the "getting laid in" (like dine in) service.

One tried-and-tested method, to get round this apparent problem, is simply to speak more loudly in English, or alternatively use franglais , I've heard ? Johnny-foreigner gets there in the end, gadzooks ! :D

You've given me a wonderful idea.

On my next trip up country I'll hire one of those pickups with a microphone and speakers stacked at the back. Then I can travel through the villages shouting as loud as I can through the PA system in English asking for directions to the nearest massage parlour.

I could also sell a few vegetables on the side :D

Brilliant !

Perhaps one of our local-election politicians might also sponsor you ? There's nothing like getting paid twice ... for the same job ! :o

1 reason for not having an english sign is 20.000bht a year tax,as we learnt with our salon in Issan.

But we do have a union jack and thai flag next to the sign, so that should give people a clue,

Mrs salon does massage,100bht 1 hr, thai oil massage, 140bht, hairwash head massage haircut,80b, steam herbal sauna as long as you want,100bht,

manicure pedicure with colour,80bht, shave,50bht, mudpack facial,150bht,leg and arm waxing 100bht.hair relax and straightning im not sure of the price [mrs asleep]

I must add with the massage,thats it, no err extras.....

No apointment needed, call in anytime between 7am 6pm, 7 days a week.

Mia didnt believe me about the Karaoke bars, so I took her to one in Ubon. I got her to ask the nice ladies outside, what music we could expect to sing. They replied, What ever the farang wants. I asked her to find out the price of a song, she refused and dragged me home.

Alright no I totally didn't get it was a wind up and climbed on my high horse accordingly. No need to be abusive though - I am not priggish or self important but have met enough people for whom this would be a totally reasonable question to believe that this was genuine.

With no signs in English, for those of us morons who can't read Thai they are sometimes quite difficult to find :D

Is it because they are worried that farangs might lure away their most beautiful (i.e. valuable) assets with a swathe of ATM cards?

Or are they just plain anti farang?

Don't you think it is very rude to effectively bar one of the main benefactors of Issan culture from one of the most popular pastimes in Thailand?

I think there should be a law stating that every Massage parlour and karaoke bar carry signs in English.

After all, the road signs are all in English - well they are until you almost reach your destination, whereupon they suddenly appear in Thai only.

What say you? Shall we all gather together and march on U-Tapao Airport? :o

Why should they? Its their country.

Did you ever try to catch a train in Japan? Not even one sign in English on the time table in stations.

Ever visit Italy, Spain or France no English is used. Even in Hotels they hardly speak English.

BTW the most beauty full massage girls you do find in the non-tourist areas

Alright no I totally didn't get it was a wind up and climbed on my high horse accordingly. No need to be abusive though - I am not priggish or self important but have met enough people for whom this would be a totally reasonable question to believe that this was genuine.

Unless you read even 50% of the posts.

For example, driving through an Issan village, with speakers blaring in English, asking for directions and selling vegetables on the side??? :D

My apologies if you consider my riposte abusive (that's a bit harsh!!).... but really.... :o

Why should they? Its their country.

Did you ever try to catch a train in Japan? Not even one sign in English on the time table in stations.

Ever visit Italy, Spain or France no English is used. Even in Hotels they hardly speak English.

BTW the most beauty full massage girls you do find in the non-tourist areas

:o:D

"Come into my parlour", said the spider to the fly.... :D

I would just like to remind everybody that:

1) You will not use thaivisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, referencing prostitution (including bargirls and barboys), referencing suicide, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law. You also agree not to post negative comments criticizing the legal proceedings or judgments of the Thai Court of Law.

is against Thai Visa forum rules.

So please refrain from discussion of "fish bowls" and pricing that obviously is not for standard Thai massage therapy.

Thankyou.