Are Diamonds Appreciated As Gifts By Thais?

Svenn

You need to ask the question??

If she prefers 'thai gold' to diamonds she is so uneducated and ignorant it's embarrassing to even ask the question.

If you think her ignorance and lack of education is an excuse, then offer neither and see how much she loves you.

If she prefers 'thai gold' to diamonds she is so uneducated and ignorant it's embarrassing to even ask the question.

If you think her ignorance and lack of education is an excuse, then offer neither and see how much she loves you.

hel_l hath NO fury like a woman scorned .

I would love to see the look on the face of your highly educated, knowledgeable & intelligent Thai 'lady friend' as she tries to cash in her $200 diamond(s)!

The 'uneducated & ignorant' lass will be walking out of the gold shop with a large smile on her face after converting her highly liquid asset of Thai gold (typically 23 carat 96.5% gold content) into a fistfull of baht!

To the OP - buy her the gold!

Hard times are upon us - turn to gold.

Look what is happening in the US - billions of US$'s being pumped/dumped into the economy, similar actions being taken in Europe etc.

Inflation anyone?

US$ up / gold down, US$ down /gold up, the Federal Reserve is about to crank up the printing presses & the US$ will turn to shit, gold predicated to hit US$2000+ sometime soon (late 2009/2010?).

Asians hold gold jewellery because it is a great storer & maintainer of wealth & easily converted to cash when times get tough. Farangs prefer the sentimentality of cheap costume jewellery, which may harbour fond memories but offer no real practical value.

up the printing presses & the US$ will turn to shit, gold predicated to hit US$2000+ sometime soon (late 2009/2010?).

Dont hold your breath...

Its nice to see with this posting that TV members once again managed to take a simple question and turn it into a judgemental, class based, racist, sterotyping discussion about Thailand...all the elements are there.... all people from Issan are low class, only uneducated people buy Thai gold, Hi-So's. BG's etc etc.

We all know that the vast majority of high profile TV member's wives, GF's, never came from bars, are all Phd educated Hi-so's and would never consider wearing Thai gold because its low class and a minimum of 1 carat diamonds are the only things good enough for their teerak's... :o

All rather pathetic....

Is it a good idea to give my Thai gf some inexpensive diamond earrings (in the roughly $200 USD range) or do Thais generally only prefer things like 24kt gold that can be resold easily? I want it her to be able to sell it so it's not wasted money, but I'm worried cheap diamonds like that might not have a market in Thailand... thanks

I think you should make an effort to see what her friends are wearing when they are together in different venues like casual day activities, shopping together in the mall, evenings out at a nice restaurant, parties as someone's house. Compare what they are wearing with what she wears. Most women (and men) seem to emulate their peers in clothing and jewelry to feel comfortable. Then when you understand what she might like when, guess where she is "deficient" either in quality or quantity. Should be fairly easy from there to select the gift.

Its nice to see with this posting that TV members once again managed to take a simple question and turn it into a judgemental, class based, racist, sterotyping discussion about Thailand...all the elements are there.... all people from Issan are low class, only uneducated people buy Thai gold, Hi-So's. BG's etc etc.

It always amazes me how these clowns manage to interact on a daily basis with the "uneducated & ignorant" masses of Thailand. Maintaining the arrogance, disdain & contempt for the detritus of Thai society must be quite debilitating, but as you say, regular purchasing of 1 carat diamonds for their foreign University educated & multiple MBA holding hi-so's does go a long way in alleviating some of the pain.

Holding my breath? - no I don't think so (although it would be nice if F1fanatic tried if for a year or so).

If you or I remember, we can always come back here & see if I am close to the $2000 mark. The odds me getting it right are about the same as the so-called experts. :o

If the OP is still here - I find the contrast of Thai gold with the dark skin of your average Thai lady be quite beautiful & bordering on the erotic, especially tasteful earings. :D

Im closing this thread for now.

If the OP wishes to still get more answers, PM me and Ill see what I can do about cleaning up the unnecessary judgemental remarks.

could take a while... so OP what say you?

I just dont get it, why cant people only ANSWER THE QUESTION? if you feel the need to discuss your opinion judging the whos who and hows how, I suggest you each start your own blog.