Genuine Tourist

I have lived in Kuala Lumpur for the past 10 years, and regularly travel to Thailand by car with my family on vacation.

This year alone we have spent 12 weeks in Thailand (Phuket, Koh Samui, Hua Hin).

My last tip was at the end of October, and we got the usual 30 day visa stamp in our passports.

You can imagine our surprise on the 7th December when we were only granted a 15 day visa at the Sadao border crossing, as we were on our way for a 21 day holiday at the JW Marriott in Phuket.

Our intention was then to have an extra 5 nights in Patong in order to welcome in the New Year!

However with just a 15 day visa we couldn't even complete our holiday at the Marriott unless we went to Phuket Immigration Centre and got a 7 day visa extension for Bt6,000. Even then we could not extend our stay in Patong!!

Does this new rule make sense given the circumstances namely:

the current global economic crisis

the dramatic down turn in tourist arrivals

Thailand is now entering its peak 'high season' period with hotels bookings at 50% normal levels.

I plan to go back to KL after 14 day and spend my money there!!!

Thailand can survive without me.

I can survive without Thailand!

fizzychickensoup, that is the dilemma when you implement umbrella policies, you end-up punishing the

good people with the bad. You state you were told the extension fee is 6k baht? is this also something

new? previously it was 1,900 baht for ext. on stamp or tourist visa or whatever? what is the deal now? :o

fizzychickensoup, that is the dilemma when you implement umbrella policies, you end-up punishing the

good people with the bad. You state you were told the extension fee is 6k baht? is this also something

new? previously it was 1,900 baht for ext. on stamp or tourist visa or whatever? what is the deal now? :o

I should think he meant the total for the whole family. And he rounded the fee up or down.

Well fizzychickensoup (<deleted>? :D:D ) you are precisely the kind of visitors I have been arguing that this new rule will put off from visiting the country. But the voice of reason gets swept away by the howls of those on this forum who class anyone without a formal visa, i.e. those on 30 exemption stamps, as low life illegal workers, whore mongers and drug runners.

I would suggest you write to Thai immigration, cc to TAT, telling them your situation and telling them exactly where they can shove their Land of Stupidity but:-

1. They really don't give a flying duck :o . In their mind whatever they do the tourists will always return in increasing numbers, with increasingly stuffed wallets in line with TAT pipedreams, aka forecasts.

and,

2. From Malaysia unless you fly or go by boat you don't have much option :D .

So it look like either get tourist visas or take your money elsewhere in Malaysia or, via Singapore, to Batam. I assume in your time in Malaysia you've been just about everywhere you want to go. Singapore is not really an option for a family for three weeks and Batam? Well Batam is something else and you'll have to leave your car behind in Rafflesville.

Come on all you guys who get-off slagging Thailand and the Immigration Department! The only problem with the change in policy was its announcement or lack thereof of...that was of course done poorly.

With the new rules in place, anyone planning a trip to LOS should find the correct visa information and if planning a stay of more than 15 days will just get a visa.

What's the problem?

The questions are: How many people are affected? Do Thai immigration consider that to get the cream of those affected they should 'correct' this issue? and finally, Do they care?

I think the last question is the greater one.

You would think with every country trying to get the economy moving and protecting/creating jobs ,Thailand would be in the front row of places that would make you welcome. I would support any rule that if people coming to Thailand can show they have the money to spend, Thailand in there own interest should welcome them .

Genuine tourist and bad tourist, I do not know who created this classification and what system they used to justify it;

Using what ever legal means to stay in Thailand, does not classify your status as a good or bad;

Many bad people – like those who just been caught abusing children- carry a proper valid visas, meanwhile many people using the visa exempt to stay longer or much longer time in Thailand are still of the good people, no matter if they were rich or poor.

When border run is a legal way of entering the country, then it has to be considered equal to any other method.

Nevertheless, this cracking down on foreigners who stay in Thailand is another unproved theory created by people with less understanding to the whole situation.

It does not need a genius to figure it out, any new officer even with low IQ can know who is a genuine tourist, and who is staying in Thailand permanently, just by checking few pages of their passports; When I went to Aranyaprathet last week, a new officer opened my passport and checked the last two pages, then turn his face to me and said: you know, when you come back after an hour or so, I can only give you 15 days, because the rules have been changed; well, is he a magician?

Every one of us has to write his full address, and if the immigration have any doubt or suspect that this guy is working illegally in the country, they can trace him to some extend, and do not tell me they do not have the man power, the police department is the largest organization in Thailand, and their budget is the highest in the country.

Furthermore, if they wanted to crackdown on the border runners, then why they abolished the 90D/6M rules? They could have just added to the 15 days stay rules.

The fact from how I can see it, is that they want more tourism activities in this time of trouble. They want you to stay, but go and get a visa if you can or do more border runs if you cannot, both ways will contribute to the ailing tourism industries, may be not much, but a little from many will certainly make it worth.

The real tourist do not care if they can enter with or without a visa, most of them, specially those coming from far away, who usually take this opportunity to visit other countries in the region, such as Cambodia, Myanmar and Laos, need a visas and they do not complain about it, so why not to add Thailand as well.

The bottom line is, when I decided to come to this country, I did not receive an invitation letter from the government, nor they are begging me to stay; in fact this may be the only country, which gives me a multi ways to stay as long as I desire, therefore, if I like it and been able to handle their rules, then that is fine, if not, then all what I have to do is just pack and leave without insulting them for my own country does not gives the opportunity to the Thai people -even with 10% of what they have gave me-, to go and visit.

This is not against any other opinion, or fact, I can be right as much as I can be wrong. It is just a point of view, so I hope that no one is going to attack me like I am pro-government agent.

Thanks to all other opinions and have a nice day.

Bishop :o

You would think with every country trying to get the economy moving and protecting/creating jobs ,Thailand would be in the front row of places that would make you welcome.

How are people not welcome? 30-day visa free arrivals for many countries and visas on arrival for most of the rest. 60-day tourist visas for anyone planning to stay longer (and usually 2 entries available if requested). So I don't see any "Unwelcome" sign hanging on Thailand's front door :D

Unfortunately, the few travelers who enter Thailand overland from Malaysia, Burma, or Cambodia without a visa will be limited to only a 15-day visa free arrival. This was made necessary by the abuse of the arrival rules by foreigners residing in Thailand under false pretenses :o

You would think with every country trying to get the economy moving and protecting/creating jobs ,Thailand would be in the front row of places that would make you welcome.

How are people not welcome? 30-day visa free arrivals for many countries and visas on arrival for most of the rest. 60-day tourist visas for anyone planning to stay longer (and usually 2 entries available if requested). So I don't see any "Unwelcome" sign hanging on Thailand's front door :D

Unfortunately, the few travelers who enter Thailand overland from Malaysia, Burma, or Cambodia without a visa will be limited to only a 15-day visa free arrival. This was made necessary by the abuse of the arrival rules by foreigners residing in Thailand under false pretenses :o

Basically agree here johndoe (if that's your real name, lol).

Yet, I for one don't rely on the tourist industry for my crust. So, selfishly, the less tourists here the better for a gamut of reasons.

I agree with this.

The problem was the way Immigration enacted the new rules, effective from the day of announcement.

This did not leave the OP with time to prepare for a visa.

What is left for the OP now would be a short trip back to MY via Sado or a 2-3hrs. ferry ride to Langkawi from Pukhet (not sure if a same day turn-around is possible). This would give the OP the additional 15 days needed.

opalhort

What is left for the OP now would be a short trip back to MY via Sado or a 2-3hrs. ferry ride to Langkawi from Phuket (not sure if a same day turn-around is possible). This would give the OP the additional 15 days needed.
Yes, you can take a boat from Langkawi, then land transfer to Phuket, but it takes a lot longer than 2-3 hours. Sadao from Phuket is a good 8-10 hours drive and then there and the same back - not too much fun for a holiday.

Much better option - Ranong is a 4-5 hour drive from Phuket, skirting Kao Suk National Park (very nice drive north of Takuapa). Then there's about 400 THB for a return long tail to Burma, plus the Burmese Visa which costs $10 per person. Result - a bit of adventure, plus another 15 day stamp -total cost for a family of three about 1500 THB, plus petrol - say max 2500 THB - better than almost 6,000 THB for 7 day extensions.

Okay, sorry. I stand corrected.

I do not have personal experience but based my reply on what a foreign customer told us.

Early this year he was in Pukhet and told me that he took a boat directly from Pukhet to Langkawi.

opalhort

Sorry, as posted already, the amount is Thb1,500 per person, hence a total of Thb6k

I have no problem with getting a Visa in KL next time, now I know the rules have changed. It was the shock from 5 weeks earlier, and no flexibility/leeway, and now the hassle of an extension.

We will probably to the Ranong run - (could also be fun). It sounds like a better option that the Malaysian Border as that is a minimum of 6 hours each and about Thb3,000 worth of fuel