Birdwatching In Isan

isanbirder

Chong Mek market on the Laos border in Thailand (Thai side) earlier this week had a shop that had probably 20 cages of Red Whiskered Bulbuls. I guess the shop owner might have been a fan of the bird, but Im pretty sure they were on sale. The place crawls with border police but I guess they are totally uninterested in that part of the law!

I guess I can't add caged birds to my sighting recordsrolleyes.gif ?

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have just moved to Buriram and started birdwatching here. There are few records from this area, and birding here is full of surprises... species which are not known within hundreds of miles. I would like to get in touch with other birders, especioally in Buriram and Surin provinces.

Isanbirder

Well I am no professional but I like to watch the birds around here. We have some very beautiful falcons, magpie robins, black and wite flysnappers, egrets and so on. My neighbour has a lot of chicken but I don't think they count.

Where do you live in Buriram ?

Oh i get it you are referring to birds with wings, I thought you were talking about birds without wings.

I live in Bangkok (collared doves. pigeons and Sparrows) outside the city I lived in Surin and then Pak Chong for a few years and clocked up a number of species. Khao Yai was a huge breakthrough. To watch the hornbills (black, pied, great) was awesome. Has anybody observed hornbills outside of the national parks in Isaan?

I'm guessing the rural Thais have hunted the hornbills for its meat outside the parks. Once saw a Thai man in a village in Surin walking along the path with a black-shouldered kite he had caught in a trap.

I was at Lam Chae Dam couple of weeks back (N14deg 20' 41.14" E102deg 14' 54.01")near Khon Buri on a fishing trip and I sighted a solitary Pied Hornbill flying across a narrow stretch of water. The surrounding forest is degraded and I was pleasantly surprised to see this bird. And over at Lam Plai Mat Dam (N14 17' 05.78" E102 25' 20.16")which I frequent, there is a healthy population of Black-naped Monarch and I've had several sightings of Asian Paradise Flycatcher and White-crested Laughingthrush are well established here too even though the surrounding areas are irreparably degraded. Lately, a very large flock of whistling ducks has taken up residence at this reservoir together with hundreds of Openbills. There is also at least 2 Oriental Darters here. And there is this black and white woodpecker with a rather stubby tail and unmistakable WP flight pattern that I have seen a number of times but never seen perched. Still unsure what it is. So for most of the area being denuded, this part of Isaan still provides a sanctuary for the hardier species.

I live in Bangkok (collared doves. pigeons and Sparrows) outside the city I lived in Surin and then Pak Chong for a few years and clocked up a number of species. Khao Yai was a huge breakthrough. To watch the hornbills (black, pied, great) was awesome. Has anybody observed hornbills outside of the national parks in Isaan?

I'm guessing the rural Thais have hunted the hornbills for its meat outside the parks. Once saw a Thai man in a village in Surin walking along the path with a black-shouldered kite he had caught in a trap.

I was at Lam Chae Dam couple of weeks back (N14deg 20' 41.14" E102deg 14' 54.01")near Khon Buri on a fishing trip and I sighted a solitary Pied Hornbill flying across a narrow stretch of water. The surrounding forest is degraded and I was pleasantly surprised to see this bird. And over at Lam Plai Mat Dam (N14 17' 05.78" E102 25' 20.16")which I frequent, there is a healthy population of Black-naped Monarch and I've had several sightings of Asian Paradise Flycatcher and White-crested Laughingthrush are well established here too even though the surrounding areas are irreparably degraded. Lately, a very large flock of whistling ducks has taken up residence at this reservoir together with hundreds of Openbills. There is also at least 2 Oriental Darters here. And there is this black and white woodpecker with a rather stubby tail and unmistakable WP flight pattern that I have seen a number of times but never seen perched. Still unsure what it is. So for most of the area being denuded, this part of Isaan still provides a sanctuary for the hardier species.

The woodpeckers are probably Spot-breasted, which is a species hived off from the Fulvous-breasted, now found only in the north.

A surprising number of species manage to survive in Isan's often unpromising-looking landscape. Openbills are everywhere this year, even up in Udon and over in Laos.

My pride and joy are the breeding Rufous-winged Buzzards.... two or three pairs of them. I've watched one pair at the nest three years running now.

Although I cannot be 100% certain, the Fulvous breasted WP has a longer body length and red crown or vent which would have at least offered me a glimpse of compared to this pure blk/wht WP I sighted. Definitely more 'stubby' and almost tailless plus I think has a breast/chest broader than the Fulvous.

I am very tempted to call Heart-spotted but don't know if this degraded forest would support this particular specie.

Only thing left is hopefully get a pic of it next encounter.

The female Spot-breasted doesn't have the red crown.... but you may be right! So little is known about birds across the whole eastern stretch of Thailand (outside Khao Yai) that you may get all sorts of surprises.

One day I had three Red-necked Phalaropes in the middle of a paddyfield.... why, oh why? Couldn't they find anywhere better?

Although I cannot be 100% certain, the Fulvous breasted WP has a longer body length and red crown or vent which would have at least offered me a glimpse of compared to this pure blk/wht WP I sighted. Definitely more 'stubby' and almost tailless plus I think has a breast/chest broader than the Fulvous.

I am very tempted to call Heart-spotted but don't know if this degraded forest would support this particular specie.

Jack and Isanbirder, What about Pied Kingfisher? The habitat you describe - with darters and ducks and openbills etc. - would match and when moving from place to place the flight pattern could be confused with that of a WP (Though when fishing they hover). Black and white, fairly "stubby" and fairly broad chest.

Just throwing it out as a possibility since the habitat seems to match and you haven't seen it perched yet. I had a pair of these regularly when I was in Surin.

Jack and Isanbirder, What about Pied Kingfisher? The habitat you describe - with darters and ducks and openbills etc. - would match and when moving from place to place the flight pattern could be confused with that of a WP (Though when fishing they hover). Black and white, fairly "stubby" and fairly broad chest.

Just throwing it out as a possibility since the habitat seems to match and you haven't seen it perched yet. I had a pair of these regularly when I was in Surin.

That's an idea!

Jack, if you have Spot-breasted Woodpeckers around, you will hear them drumming. They do this quite frequently. The drumming is distinctively diminuendo.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been wanting to see a Pied Kingfisher since I got to Thailand about couple of years back without success. I hear they are common around Ayutthya. Also have tried Bueng Boraphet with no luck. I am very certain what I sighted isn't one and am positive it is a WP specie. Its stout body should rule out KF and KFs really do stand out with their large bills and fairly large heads too. Mind sharing whereabouts in Surin I could get lucky?

Thanks.

That's an idea!

Jack, if you have Spot-breasted Woodpeckers around, you will hear them drumming. They do this quite frequently. The drumming is distinctively diminuendo.

That is a great tip. Thanks! I'll keep this in mind. I actually have heard WPs (unknown and unsighted) drumming in the woods but try as I might I couldn't catch a glimpse of. Did you mean spot-breasted (fulvous) or heart-spotted?

Spot-breasted, which all the ones in my area are. I really don't think you're going to see Heart-spotted!

AjarnNorth showed me his Pied Kingfishers near Huai Saneng, but I couldn't be more precise than that. Maybe he can pm you.

I've been wanting to see a Pied Kingfisher since I got to Thailand about couple of years back without success. I hear they are common around Ayutthya. Also have tried Bueng Boraphet with no luck. I am very certain what I sighted isn't one and am positive it is a WP specie. Its stout body should rule out KF and KFs really do stand out with their large bills and fairly large heads too. Mind sharing whereabouts in Surin I could get lucky?

Thanks.

I will PM you directions to the spot where I would regularly see Pied Kingfisher at Huai Sanang, Surin. When you do get a positive ID on your woodpecker I will be curious to know what it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks to AjarnNorth, I've successfully located the spot but dipped on the Pied KF. Instead I saw this raptor doing circuits over the fish ponds and managed a couple of shots. Hopefully they are clear enough for a positive ID. Thanks.

Pic 1. overexposed to show underwing markings.

Pic 2. normal exposure.

post-128422-0-53666300-1370430929_thumb.

post-128422-0-79456800-1370431001_thumb.

I didn't even know this book, but Craig Robson is also the author of the most up-to-date books for Thailand and South-East Asia (see earlier in this thread). I use his book (the 2008 version) on SEAsia, plus the older one by Lekagul and Round, and then Google the species I want to find out about. It works well. From memory, I think the Oriental Bird Club has a gallery of birds within its region, but I haven't looked at it recently.

• 2 weeks later...

Scarlet-backed Flowerpecker, Lower NE Isaan area. 100km by road to Korat city.

I am in this part of Thailand and I had the good fortune yesterday of finally sighting a female scarlet-backed flowerpecker with possibly a juvenile in my own backyard where I have a fruiting cherry tree. I know this is a very common species and I have seen them in downtown BKK. Just like to know if fellow Isaan residents do find this bird in their local patch. I have been here nearly 2 years and this is the first time I've sighted this specie. Thanks for feedback.

• 4 months later...

Whilst I've never heard of anyone actually killing an owl the locals in our village certainly don't like them. If one hoots you will hear lots of shouting and banging of dustbin lids or whatever to scare the bird away. In fact just last night a bird came into a tree near our house whilst the missis and I were sitting on the verandah. When it hooted my wife got very agitated and stated they come when someone is about to die. Despite being told not to be so silly, she got up, shouted and clapped her hands as loud as she could to chase the thing away.

Whilst I've never heard of anyone actually killing an owl the locals in our village certainly don't like them. If one hoots you will hear lots of shouting and banging of dustbin lids or whatever to scare the bird away. In fact just last night a bird came into a tree near our house whilst the missis and I were sitting on the verandah. When it hooted my wife got very agitated and stated they come when someone is about to die. Despite being told not to be so silly, she got up, shouted and clapped her hands as loud as she could to chase the thing away.

Farmers in Europe used to kill owls until not so long ago.

Many of the owls and owlets in Asia do not hoot and generally many of the species are still quite common.

The little Spotted Owlets are common round my area; they used to perch in the vents of the temple crematorium, but have not been there recently. A few days ago, I saw four in a row lined along a dead palm-frond. They, by the way, are diurnal.

The Barn Owl, familiar from Europe, also occurs here, though, as it is nocturnal, you won't see it very often. My only 'sighting' was a dead bird in a farmer's net.

I've also heard Collared Scops Owl and Barred Owlet.

• 2 weeks later...

A happy update from my local patch:

Chestnut-winged cuckoo.

Lifer for me. Happy to snap a pic although it is an awful shot.

Recent sightings but no pics include a single Blue-bearded bee-eater and once again that

stout all black and white woodpecker in flight. Tail is almost non-existent and I could see clearly

a large white band/patch near its rump as it flapped its wings.

post-128422-0-12522900-1383728213_thumb.

A happy update from my local patch:

Chestnut-winged cuckoo.

Lifer for me. Happy to snap a pic although it is an awful shot.

Recent sightings but no pics include a single Blue-bearded bee-eater and once again that

stout all black and white woodpecker in flight. Tail is almost non-existent and I could see clearly

a large white band/patch near its rump as it flapped its wings.

How big is the woodpecker. The only ones that spring to mind are Black-and-Buff and Heart-spotted Woodpecker.

Archived