Us 54 Retiring With Children 15 &12

I am a 54 year old American widower with 2 daughters ages 15 and 12. They have both US and Japanese passports.

If I deposit 800K in a Thai bank and have funds to live, would my children be able to piggyback on my retirement visa?

We are planning for a quiet beach on Phuket. We looked at a Catholic school someplace near Phuket City for their school. I am a teacher and writer, so I can supplement their education.

would $2500USD a month about 97,000bhat be enough to live a simple lifestyle? WE tend to eat local foods. I cook and don't need many imported foods. I assume things like soy sauce, teryaki sauce in commerical quanities are availble.

Thanks

Sounds good, sounds doable. Yes, you should be able to do it. But even the Thai catholic school won't be as good as a decent suburban American high school and junior high. Do THEY want to come to Thailand? My biggest mistake raising my kids was moving them around to places they didn't want to go.

Age 15 and 12. What future do you offer them?

It is nice for you to retire but in my humble opinion you can only do so , after the children have finished their education and do have a reasonable chance on a independant life.

The reason I say that (and dutch seems to be thinking along the same lines) is that I used to move the kids from pillar to post. The oldest two cried their hearts out the last time I moved them, and they haven't moved 10 miles since then (1982). So, for my twin girls whom I raised myself, I waited until they were 17.9 years old and independent. Then I left the country by myself.

We looked at a Catholic school someplace near Phuket City for their school. I am a teacher and writer, so I can supplement their education.

Can your girls read, write, and speak fluent Thai? Can you?

If this school is similar to Catholic schools I have looked at in the Eastern Seaboard area, then it will all be in Thai and the staff will have very limited, if any, English.

Would be tough to stick a 12 and 15 year old in a school where they would not understand a thing. Even though kids pick languages up pretty quick, could be fairly unpleasant for them for a while.

But yes, I believe dependents can get visas based on your retirement visa.

TH

Once you have your retirement visa the two girls should be able to gain entry as you dependants, until they reach 21.

Local schools generally teach in Thai.

If you require teaching in English, then the major expense for you will be the price of two places at one of the International schools.

Once you have your retirement visa the two girls should be able to gain entry as you dependants, until they reach 21.

Local schools generally teach in Thai.

If you require teaching in English, then the major expense for you will be the price of two places at one of the International schools.

Then the B I G expense kicks in. Maybe it is time to rethink the idea.

Age 15 and 12. What future do you offer them?

It is nice for you to retire but in my humble opinion you can only do so , after the children have finished their education and do have a reasonable chance on a independant life.

They were born in Japan and have been to Thailand. We moved from Japan when my wife died

we moved to the US where we have been living for 4 years.

We live in Georgia which is not bad but, the drool is off the pie and we are ready to move back to the orient.

I gave them 4 choices which were Japan easiest because we have family there, but comes with major pressure in school, China which would be valuable to them since this will be the next great economy and power. They are half Japanese and quite stunningly attractive

Next choice was Indonesia where we have been as well and Thailand

Thailand won the vote.

No we do not read or speak Thai, but I have the impression Thai people managed to learn and my daughters will learn as well.

The school we looked at years ago taught in both Thai and English and had quite a few foreign kids in it. The International School was somewhere in the 20 to 30K USD for the two kids and overrated as best I could tell. I also find the spoiled little sh!ts who go to them are just the type of people who could make Thailand a horrible experience.

I prefer they go to regular schools and mix with regular people and learn the culture. The Catholic school seemed quite nice and the nuns spoke English.

So I appreciate your concerns about them. We actually have quite a good relationship. I have been staying at home for the last 5 years, after their mother died. I do the papa job quite well.

So does anyone have any recommendations of where to look to live on the Phuket City side of the island? near a beach ( requirement for all of us)

thanks