Abhisit Vejjajiva Elected New Prime Minister Of Thailand

george

I wonder how long it will be until we see the airports over run with red shirts????

The red has no guts to take the airport. They have no strong backers left in the country.

you'd be surprise my friend

Red shirts will be out sooooooooon in thousands

trust me, and I hope they do..... :o

I hope you are wrong, I hope they take to the streets in a peaceful manner and protest. But taking the airport would make them just as wrong as the PAD protestors.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These politicians were not voted in by the Thai people and neither was the new Prime Minister, there should be new elections called for. This would also inject billions of bart into the country as the corrupt officials would have to spend some of their stolen money by trying to buy votes again. I would bet that UDD would win by a landslide again. :o

Ehh...what? =)

Every MP was voted into parlament via an election, that is how they get there.

Nice try however.

Excluding party list MPs, although I guess they were indirectly voted for.

Why is everyone writing Thaksin off!! Do you think he is going to just lie down and go away. Not in a million years.

He will never go away not all the time he has a breath of life within him. He will continue to prod and poke from the safety of his new lair wherever that might be. Be prepared for some big shows of strength from his followers and some days of disruption. I hope I am wrong but that guy is Thailand's gypsy's curse and he will not be satisfied until he is back in power even if it wrecks the country he professes to love.

Best of luck to the new PM. To my mind one of his main priorities is going to be to show the rural poor of the northeast that he is their man as much as that of the middle class of Bangkok. Win over the support, or even some kind of acceptance, of those people and he has a chance to make it.

Same as PAD's overtaking of 4 airports, seaport, train, and government building.... ruining the country they profess to love in an effort to get their party in power.

Both sides are willing to drag Thailand down to win.

I wonder how long it will be until we see the airports over run with red shirts????

The red has no guts to take the airport. They have no strong backers left in the country.

I hope you are wrong, I hope they take to the streets in a peaceful manner and protest. But taking the airport would make them just as wrong as the PAD protestors.

How can the red taking the airport make them just as wong? Have you forgotten that the yellow taking the airport is RIGHT (and not wrong). So the red taking the airport will be just as RIGHT.

Every side has their good days and bad days. The political pendulum does not stand still. One party cannot hope to stay in power forever (this isn't singapore lol). The Democrats last held office in 1997. Its nice that the pendulum can swing back. Abhisit will have a small grace period, and has large tasks before him Lets see how he performs, and how the PTP performs as the opposition party.

What would be a success?

Passing the ASEAN policies and holding the ASEAN summit in February would be a great start.

Putting education as a priority, as well as enacting new business policies that will help lift a struggling economy.

As a person familiar with expats (having been one himself), I would look for more progressive policies on foreigners in Thailand, as well as more progressive policies in other areas as well.

Finally, creating a Constitution Amendment Panel that encompasses all strata of society, to make amendments to the existing constitution in a transparent and society-involved way.

I'll put my money on Abhisit to do these things, and do them quickly.

PTP will have to find out how to get along with Thaksin, for he will surely see his passport revoked, and extradition proceedings against him commence. Look for Khunying Pokemon to do a quick runner out of Thailand for good, in the next 2 weeks, as well.

There will be political gamesmanship and power brokering, surely. But first and foremost, this election will help Thailand's image, which is a strong key to economic recovery.

With the PAD watching his every move I would doubt very much that there will be anything remotely progressive about any policies he has concerning expats or foreign business.

This is a government for the establishment and the establishment likes the status quo very much. We are largely in this situation because a phone company got sold to a foreign company lest we forget.

So you are hoping for violence...nice...

funny you did not ask me that question when yellow shirts were out in force for the last few mths??? :D

funny you did not ask me that question when yellow shirts were out in force for the last few mths??? :D

(Fixed the quote you messed up. Must be hard...)

I didn't ask you a question above. You shall note the lack of a question mark after the sentence.

If the red's wanna protest, have fun. Would be fun for the supporters on this forum that claim they are better than the other hooligans however... no more moral high ground.

How can the red taking the airport make them just as wong? Have you forgotten that the yellow taking the airport is RIGHT (and not wrong). So the red taking the airport will be just as RIGHT.

yes in the PAD supporters eyes taking the airport was a necessary evil, thus making it the right thing to do.... So following the same logic would make the RED's taking the airport the right thing to do.

That’s if you buy into the PAD’s crap that taking the airport was necessary, I for one think it was wrong and they all, every single PAD protestor that was at the airports should see time behind bars for their illegal actions.

I can only hope that the RED side has less sheep in the crowd and realize that such actions would have negative ramifications for the country.

So the democrats are in power at difficult times again, but now the crisis is worldwide not just asian wide ! ... I just hope he can keep Newin at arm's length ... as i have a bad feeling about the whole thing (those guys are mean and is N still working for T ? ... only time will tell)

Apart from Anan, Abhisit is the only other prime minister that will meddle well with the international community.

I didn't ask you a question above. You shall note the lack of a question mark after the sentence.

If the red's wanna protest, have fun. Would be fun for the supporters on this forum that claim they are better than the other hooligans however... no more moral high ground.

surely, we didn't come here for the lesson in English, or have we?

I love Taksin and always will my dear friend :D

surely, we didn't come here for the lesson in English, or have we?

I love Taksin and always will my dear friend :D

No, it would be ironic if a person as yourself, with English as your primary language, would receive lessons from someone who has it as his third language.

And love is never balanced nor logical.

I hope he has the strength to be a leader and not just someones puppet. He comes across as an intelligent, thinking man. How honest he is I have no idea, time will tell. My main concern is that I think he is a rather passive person, and may not have the backbone required from a leader, especially in such a volatile time, politically and economically. I wish him well. Can't see any better choice available.

Anyone care to speculate as to how the PAD will react? Will this be enough to keep them from causing any more disruptions?

I wouldn't be concerned with PAD reaction, but rather with the Red Team's. I'm afraid they are capable as yellow one, to cause havoc and disruptions.

As I hope society in general will do - Perhaps its time for TV red shirts and yellow shirts to put the shirts back in the closet for a while, and try to work for the good of the country. A new party in power with a new elected PM deserve time to announce their policies and implement them.

So, now the PAD and the Army have forced the elected Governments from power and put their puppet in place, after I might Add, two years of blatant gerrymandering, poison court decisions, a new charter in the Democrats favour, you expect the rest of the country to fall in behind this sheep!

His first priorities will certainly be to the PAD supporters that are going to be hit hard by the recesion they exacerbated with their facist action.

Happy honeymoon to him, but he is not up to the task. Watch this space! :o

Reading all the other posts so far yours definitely comes across as the most hateful. If you are tapping the general energy that fuels the reds we are in for a brutal next few weeks...

Might be time for those with softer stomachs to look into leaving the country now...

I wasn't worried while the yellows were fighting for the country but now that the reds are getting riled up I am starting to see the kind of energy that runs through Pattaya rear it's ugly head. We all know that Thaksin has no qualms about giving orders to shoot above the waist...

Reds need a reason to demonstrate, they can't just go on rampage to vent their anger.

No one would take them seriously for claiming that Abhisit is a front for the military, no one would take them seriously if they complain that Anupong gave advice on forming the coalition - they had their MPs following Thaksin everywhere, from Hong Kong to Beijing to London on every little issue.

Reds just don't have anything to go on.

First congratulations new PM on keeping your eye on the prize

Now try and keep it

Agenda items:

1. cancel Dr T's passport immediately

2. set the constitution in stone

3. devalue the baht 20%

4. weed out the old guard - retire the over 60's

5. Bring in the new year with lots of style

6. Give Dr T's 78 billion baht to the north (projects not cash)

7. 100,000 baht rewards on all insurgents in the south

8. Bring back RED is a symbol of communism and should be looked on as non progressive in a modern society

CHOK DEE

I just hope the red shirt people will give this the new P.M a chance....and that Thailand will not be front page news around the world,,, let the county heal,,,, With that said i hope the S.E.T. can rally back up to around 500 so i can end the year with a profit,,, HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERYONE!!!! :o

yes in the PAD supporters eyes taking the airport was a necessary evil, thus making it the right thing to do.... So following the same logic would make the RED's taking the airport the right thing to do.

That's if you buy into the PAD's crap that taking the airport was necessary, I for one think it was wrong and they all, every single PAD protestor that was at the airports should see time behind bars for their illegal actions.

I can only hope that the RED side has less sheep in the crowd and realize that such actions would have negative ramifications for the country.

I agree with you that it is not right to take the airport.

BUT, if I put myself in the shoe of of the RED, I would call for the airport to be taken.

PAD can continue on-and-on for months, who cares? Once the airport is taken, Ah situation change.

RED can also go on-and-on for months/years, who care? If they take the airport, at least they can demand a new election.

Pokeman can run, and there is a chance thet Shinawatta may be back in power.

(I truly believe that IF Pokemon is an MP, she would have been PM today).

Try to talk whit a Thai person, they know better about this new PM, all him family come from south Thailand.

All Thai people I know they said one word: Bad.

At the end him is elected from Pad no?

He must to follow the wishes of the party that give to him the power...

Good luck

I hope he has the strength to be a leader and not just someones puppet. He comes across as an intelligent, thinking man. How honest he is I have no idea, time will tell. My main concern is that I think he is a rather passive person, and may not have the backbone required from a leader, especially in such a volatile time, politically and economically. I wish him well. Can't see any better choice available.

I agree with this asessment and would add that he will also need the backbone to just hold his somewhat bizarre caoltion both togther and in check, which will take up time and energy probbaly needed more on other siubstantive issues.

Well he looks every inch a capable man does "Mark"

Lets hope that this is the begining of a great new political dawn in LOS.

I wish him good luck.....he is sure to need it

He does, but unfortunately he is an elitist who have never even bothered to have a look in a rice paddy. A man also who was undermined by Sanan two years ago and now depends on the very same kingmaker to survive as PM. On to of that the biggest political crooks Newin and Suthep bothe corrupted till the bone will influence him. If he is lucky he will stay in power for 6 months.

Bloke's from Newcastle, educated at Eton n Oxford. How more dodgy can you get. Remember the classic tune from "The Jam"

Wife beater tops and Newcastle Brown Ale as standard for his new policies.

Wonder if he'll bail out the footie team........

Still. Can model a good pose for "Men's Health "mag...

Wish him well.

I just read better education should be on his agenda. If that's the case I have a little bit hope for this country. A better education system is the single most important thing for the future of this country.

My boss (one of those who know), mentioned that Ahbisit will take over the Education Portfolio, in addition to the PM. This is the single best news that can come out of the vote today. Education will be on the forefront, and not the back burner. The single best way to help those in the TRT heartland = give them a better education so they can earn more.

Congratulations, Khun Abhisit!

I hope that now the right actions will be taken.... first of all to bring the law upon the PAD leaders, now that they have what they wanted they, too, should keep their promises and "face the music".

Next, revoke Toxin's passport and have him extradicted (spelling?) to face HIS music, too, and let him rot in jail where he belongs!

Next, start educating those without brains who still say "I Love Toxin" so they will know that the person they claim to "love" is a convicted criminal on the run from the law, who made public that his reason not to return to "the land he loves" is because he "doesn't trust the justice system" yet at the same time uses that same justice system to go against his enemies.... a man who contradicts himself twice in every sentence and who's first lie of the day is when he says "good morning", a man who's only reason to cling to power is to fill his his own pockets and who doesn't give a rat's @ss for the country and the people! Sadly, just like Hitler, Toxin has the ability to brainwash people and make them "love" him unconditionally... 100-Baht-notes at the voting booth work wonders, don't they?

I truly hope that the political mess is now over and Thailand can move forward, now that a handsome leader is found who has the brains to steer the white waters ahead.

Now where can i get one of them hand clappers..?

Regards.....

Thanh

I just hope the red shirt people will give this the new P.M a chance....and that Thailand will not be front page news around the world,,, let the county heal,,,, With that said i hope the S.E.T. can rally back up to around 500 so i can end the year with a profit,,, HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERYONE!!!! :o

I just hope the red shirt people will give this new P.M. a hard time....

The PAD has upset me too much already, especially on the airport closure.

Well he looks every inch a capable man does "Mark"

Lets hope that this is the begining of a great new political dawn in LOS.

I wish him good luck.....he is sure to need it

He does, but unfortunately he is an elitist who have never even bothered to have a look in a rice paddy. A man also who was undermined by Sanan two years ago and now depends on the very same kingmaker to survive as PM. On to of that the biggest political crooks Newin and Suthep bothe corrupted till the bone will influence him. If he is lucky he will stay in power for 6 months.

Well, fortunately, we'll be able to see :o

One of the hallmarks of the Thaksin brigade is their inability to accept ownership for their mistakes, and their inability to accept losing gracefully. Its ok though, just makes the other side look better and better.

Anyone care to speculate as to how the PAD will react? Will this be enough to keep them from causing any more disruptions?

The PAD supported this from the outset.

I hope he can bring stability to Thailand but the problem is that neither he, nor his party, was elected by anyone!

The red shirts are not happy that their democratically elected government has been overthrown in what they call a 'silent coup'.

They won't accept this and more protests are likely!

It's not over yet!

From www.thai2english.com: อภิสิทธิ์ (à-pí-sìt ): privilege ; prerogative

Given the Democrat party track record and the way they got the government this time (owing more to upstairs than to downstairs), I don't think the poor hold their breath regarding improvements in education, health care, etc. It would be nice to be surprised to the contrary though.

http://www.thai2english.com/search/prerogative+