Abhisit Vejjajiva Elected New Prime Minister Of Thailand

george

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The big question in that scenario is what comes after? It is highly unlikely to be a new democratic government. I do get the impression that this is the last chance parliament is allowed at getting it "right" with "right" defined as what the real power brokers want. In that scenario the new government may last longer than we think but to avoid what may come next as much as anything else.

Thailand has never had a democracy. There has never been any intention to allow it a democracy, only the superficial trappings to keep the masses quiet, and gain face in the world IMHO.

Thaksin stirred all these quiet, harmonious waters up. The question now is how much has really been awakened here. Has it started a groundswell beyond the Thaksin bogeyman, or not. If it has, turmoil lies ahead, irrelevant of Thaksin. We cannot really know, as a free press and free speech is not allowed here. The generally held 'truths' may be way off. This could be a pressurized bottle on the point of shattering, or it could simply die down to placid waters again, for a while.

Yes that is the imponderable and one that is very hard to call. Even spending time upcountry I come away still unable to call that one way or the other. However, we will find out.

I think your comment on Thai democracy also applies to much of the developing world. Enough democracy to get MFN status, avoid blacklists, get WTO and free trade agreements advatageous to the local ruling classes while avoiding giving toomuch power away seem pretty much to be de rigeur for the developing world.

What I don't get is those who now declare smugly that Abhisit was appointed via the democratic process, whereas they've always claimed Thaksin/Samak/Somchai weren't.

I'm not sure anyone is smug about the way Abhisit became the PM.

Dems could/should have done exactly the same thing after the Dec elections, and they were more than ready, but political etiquette demanded they had to give chance at forming the government to PPP first. Smaller parties had no political or ideological affiliation with PPP and they put up a whole list of demands that PPP had to agree. If that hadn't worked out, Dems would have been in the govt themselves.

Only Newin's people are legitimate defectors from the 2007 elections point of view, but lots of things have changed since then already, it's Newin's responsibility, and his own gamble with his voters.

>>>>

I agree that Abhisit looks like he was handed the power, that he didn't really seized it, apart from doing a round with roses (that was very gay, imo).

On the other hand, the political winds have changed and only Abhisit was up there ready with all his sails up - he simply caught the wind, that's where his power comes from. He is nobody's puppet but a slave to the popular demand for a change after a year under PPP.

:o:D :D

I agree, but he has a wife and two children.

:D :D :wai:

Pro-PTP Protesters Await New Cabinet before Holding More Rallies

Pro-PTP protesters upcountry are reportedly planning more protests against Democrat Party Leader Abhisit Vejjajiva afer he was elected as Thailand’s 27th Prime Minister.

Meanwhile, pro-Thaksin Shinawatra, Khon Rak Udon or “We Love Udon Thani” group, is waiting to see the faces of the new Cabinet before it, too, decides to launch a protest against the premier-elect.

The Khon Rak Udon (We Love Udon Thani) group leader, Kwanchai Sarakam, also known as Kwanchai Praiphana, said that he is not currently planning any movement after Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva was elected as the new premier.

He admitted that members of the pro-PTP red-shirt protest group in the Northeast have already contacted him about initiating a movement against the new Democrat-led administration, but he would prefer to wait to see who will be in the new Cabinet first.

Kwanchai, however, affirmed that his group cannot accept Abhisit and the Democrat Party as the government leader as the party fail to honour the country's Parliamentary process, while suggesting that former coalition MPs who switched their allegiance to the Democrats would soon learn their lessons from grassroots voters.

Meanwhile, more than a hundred red-shirt protesters in Ubon Ratchathani, led by Theerapat Watcharapol, have rallied on the street with a coffin which was printed with the names of Abhisit Vejjajiva, Democrats Secretary General Suthep Thuagsuban, Newin Chidchob, and all MPs who voted for Abhisit. They then placed the coffin in front of Democrat Party office in Muang District.

Later, the demonstrators protested in front of a vegetarian food shop that belongs to the “Dharma Army” of the Santi Asoke sect to launch a rally against the group for their support for the People's Alliance for Democracy and allegedly causing deep political conflicts in Thailand.

A number of police officers have been stationed at the shop to prevent the repeat of the vandalising caused by red-shirt protesters on November 22.

In Nakhon Ratchasima, the pro-PTP group has launched a demonstration at the Thao Suranari statue against the Democrat Party, the Friends of Newin group, and all former coalition MPs who abandoned the PTP.

Protest leader, Papaschanat Ching-in claimed that Monday's election of the new prime minister was plagued with vote-buying. She also said that the group will continue to rally every evening against the new government as Abhisit did not honestly win the majority of voters to lead the country.

And, yesterday evening, a group of red-shirt demonstrators in Phitsanulok placed a wreath in front of the house of former PPP MP Monchai Wiwattanart, who voted for Abhisit in the special House session on Monday. They claimed that Monchai has betrayed voters before burning his effigy.

- TOC / 2008-12-16

Snoh tipped to be opposition leader

Pracharaj Party leader Snoh Thienthong might be nominated for the position of opposition leader because the main opposition party lacks qualified candidate to fill the vacant seat, Pheu Thai MP Withaya Buranasiri said on Tuesday.

Since Pheu Thai Party leader Yongyuth Wichaidit has no House seat, the party may ask Snoh to lead the opposition on its behalf, Withaya said.

The Nation

So I don't see any comments with people to claim things were just peachy

my comments came on the heels of these posts...

Tourism was only down slightly because of the economy. We were kicking butt - selling well - for weeks before the closing of the airport. The PAD ruined tourism this year pretty much by themselves!
As for the PAD not being responsible for ruining tourism - well quite simply they were responsible.

I know a huge number of people in the tourism industry and PAD actions decimated business for Dec.

What is now happening for 2009 is that there are very few new bookings being made, so it has pretty much trashed 2009 so far too.

PAD is directly responsible, no question about it.

I only have anecdotes from a member of the board international airline representatives, and some hotel owners I know. One hotel owner was looking forward to Christmas period of 95% occupancies, then the airport closed cancellations came streaming in and they are now faced with occupancy rates of 10%.

The airlines estimated that the fiscal damage the airport closure could amount to almost one trillion Baht. This was disclosed over a business lunch so sorry no source for you to quote John. The major concern he had was not direct tourism arrivals, although that was bad, but rather from transit passengers, who will now be seeking alternative stop overs to each their destinationm, like say Singapore or HCM. This group is important because the industry regards them as future tourists (on the basis that if they stop over for a night or two they'll like it and come back), this has largely dried up.

Yes the tourism market was looking bleak before Suvarnaphumi, but this was largely because of the PAD too, whose previous actions also included shutting down Phuket Airport which didn't exactly help matters.

Many hotels are running staff right now on 3-4 days unpaid leave a week, to say that this was not because of the airport is off the mark.

Edited by quiksilva

Data can be used to draw conclusions about long-term effects of the airport closure.

For example, one could look at monthly trends in tourism number for the year before and after.

Then compare these trends to tourism numbers in other countries in the region.

If the numbers for Thailand dropped significantly more than other countries, one could then make the conclusion that the increased drop is not to the global economy.

srirachi john is simply proposing that we look at data before making conclusions about how X effected Y. This seems reasonable to me.

Data can be collected to estimate the long term effect if any is a direct result of the airport closer, but no one was arguing long term effects. The statements were made that the HUGE drop in tourism after the airport closer was a result of the closer.

Long term effect remains to be seen, but nobody was talking about long term effects in this post. People were talking about this high season NOW and a few months in the future. Nobody was talking 6+ months.

Agreed, it has much more to do with the world-wide down-turn, and quite a lot to do with the recent policy of the BoT to maintain a Strong-Baht policy, against the best interests of tourism & exporters and the workers formerly employed in those industries.

One might hope that the Democratic Party might try hard, over the next few weeks, to get this message across to the people who are/will-be affected, so that the blame rightly lands on ex-PM Somchai and his self-acknowledged Thaksin-nominee PPP-government.

Why did they pursue this damaging policy to the bitter end ? Hopefully it will now swiftly be abandoned, in whatever face-saving fashion can be devised, by Abhisit.

Those in the tourism industry would disagree. The plunge in tourism is directly attributable to the airport fiasco.

One might hope that the Democratic Party might try hard, over the next few weeks, to get this message across to the people who are/will-be affected, so that the blame rightly lands on ex-PM Somchai and his self-acknowledged Thaksin-nominee PPP-government.

Oh, you can be sure that they will, but it is a LIE.

The PAD drove out the tourists who were here and scared the rest into canceling their vacations for this year. It is too bad that there is no way to make them pay the poor for their lost income along with the airlines and the hotel industry. :o

It would be great if you could source your claims with numbers and prospective visitors feedback, not just anecdotal evidence.

I have anecdotal evidence too with both relatives and friends of friends (i.e. the latter not here to see me in any capacity, just heard about them visiting) that both are here and that are coming in the coming weeks. None of them has canceled anything. Tourists from northern Europe won't be canceling their vacations over Christmas due to an airport being hijacked earlier in the year.

Second anecdotal evidence is that the decrease of tourists around the office downtown have pretty much been a linear decrease over the past few months, and should mostly be attributed to the downturn in global economy.

Not saying the actions of red and yellow fighting, yellow taking airports and reds killing yellows doesn't affect tourism in any way, sure it will. But do you think tourism in India will die down from the events in Mumbai or will economy actually have a bigger role? I think so.

So before you start crying that PAD ruined your life or income, take note that the events isn't over yet (the reds turn to get offensive against the Police) and that the facts might not support it. Simple answers rarely are.

So I don't see any comments with people to claim things were just peachy

my comments came on the heels of these posts...

Tourism was only down slightly because of the economy. We were kicking butt - selling well - for weeks before the closing of the airport. The PAD ruined tourism this year pretty much by themselves!
As for the PAD not being responsible for ruining tourism - well quite simply they were responsible.

I know a huge number of people in the tourism industry and PAD actions decimated business for Dec.

What is now happening for 2009 is that there are very few new bookings being made, so it has pretty much trashed 2009 so far too.

PAD is directly responsible, no question about it.

I only have anecdotes from a member of the board international airline representatives, and some hotel owners I know. One hotel owner was looking forward to Christmas period of 95% occupancies, then the airport closed cancellations came streaming in and they are now faced with occupancy rates of 10%.

The airlines estimated that the fiscal damage the airport closure could amount to almost one trillion Baht. This was disclosed over a business lunch so sorry no source for you to quote John. The major concern he had was not direct tourism arrivals, although that was bad, but rather from transit passengers, who will now be seeking alternative stop overs to each their destinationm, like say Singapore or HCM. This group is important because the industry regards them as future tourists (on the basis that if they stop over for a night or two they'll like it and come back), this has largely dried up.

Yes the tourism market was looking bleak before Suvarnaphumi, but this was largely because of the PAD too, whose previous actions also included shutting down Phuket Airport which didn't exactly help matters.

Many hotels are running staff right now on 3-4 days unpaid leave a week, to say that this was not because of the airport is off the mark.

I appreciate your anecdotal input...particularly in that it was given in a rapidly-disappearing-from-Thaivisa, straight-forward, non-derogatory manner. To clarify once again, I never said the airport closure didn't have any impact on tourism, simply that based on pre-airport closure threads, I've been reading about the downturn in tourism for weeks and weeks due to a whole host of non-PAD related factors. I was a bit taken aback when reading today that, all of a sudden, all of these many other factors were essentially somehow insignificant.

Again, thank you for your post.

Edited by sriracha john

In which case ALL of the PTP members and other parties members involved

would be EARLIER on that list for dissolution since they have been working with him for YEARS.

As usuall you dont understand what this is all about. Newin was just banned for 5 years. Its not something he have been for years. This is about Abhisit conspiring with a banned party politician to get a platform for forming a new government. There is two articles in the constitution that cover this, and is broken - AND its the EC themselfs that put that on the table. The thing about laws is that they should apply for all sides, not just the one you support.

Whatever happen to the MPs that been working with Newin after he got banned I dont care. They probably get what they deservere for letting themselfs be bought old style. As for the future of Abhisit, is a PM that is so stupid he let himself be seen with a banned faction leader really the right person to see Thailand trough troubled international financial times?

The yellow shirts been using the constitution court to stage a "silent" coup, now they might face the dual edged sword of "justice" themselfs. And come January 11th, the 238 votes will be a minority vote. Its a government that dont have the parliament backing it. Thailand would be better off if the democrats had taken the offer of one of the smaller parties to lead the government.

Sorry Charlie he wasn't JUST banned. Get your facts right.

He was banned WITH Thaksin BEFORE PPP came into being.

Why do you think the Buriram faction of PPP

was called"Friends Of Newin"?

Because he was banned with TRT years ago and still has 3 years to go.

He was in Thaksin's, 'Shinawatra Building War Room' of ex TRT execs plotting

as recently as this summer.

So the LAST 2 PPP coalition governments were in bed with Newin controling his faction

quite openly for the last year. He just switched sides, and now they are trying to cry foul,

make and issue of what they just did for a year themselves.

This is total bullshit from PTP.

Edited by animatic

It would be great if you could source your claims with numbers and prospective visitors feedback, not just anecdotal evidence.

I have anecdotal evidence too with both relatives and friends of friends (i.e. the latter not here to see me in any capacity, just heard about them visiting) that both are here and that are coming in the coming weeks. None of them has canceled anything. Tourists from northern Europe won't be canceling their vacations over Christmas due to an airport being hijacked earlier in the year.

Second anecdotal evidence is that the decrease of tourists around the office downtown have pretty much been a linear decrease over the past few months, and should mostly be attributed to the downturn in global economy.

Not saying the actions of red and yellow fighting, yellow taking airports and reds killing yellows doesn't affect tourism in any way, sure it will. But do you think tourism in India will die down from the events in Mumbai or will economy actually have a bigger role? I think so.

So before you start crying that PAD ruined your life or income, take note that the events isn't over yet (the reds turn to get offensive against the Police) and that the facts might not support it. Simple answers rarely are.

your anecdotal evidence is not reffering to hotels, or tour agencies telling you their numbers a week before the airport closer and a week after the airport closer... You are reffering to some people traveling, not same at all....

You honestly think that the short term (1-6 months in the future) decline in tourism to India will be more about the economy and less to do with the attacks in Mumbai? Am I reading your post correctly?

your anecdotal evidence is not reffering to hotels, or tour agencies telling you their numbers a week before the airport closer and a week after the airport closer... You are reffering to some people traveling, not same at all....

You honestly think that the short term (1-6 months in the future) decline in tourism to India will be more about the economy and less to do with the attacks in Mumbai? Am I reading your post correctly?

Well since India and Mumbai have decades of terrorist attacks,

historically I would say the economy is going to be the bigger stopper,

because one can reasonably expect a terrorist attack in Mumbai anyway.

I know I was just wondering when the next one would be a week before that happened.

I have to stop wondering I guess.

What I don't get is those who now declare smugly that Abhisit was appointed via the democratic process, whereas they've always claimed Thaksin/Samak/Somchai weren't.

I'm not sure anyone is smug about the way Abhisit became the PM.

Dems could/should have done exactly the same thing after the Dec elections, and they were more than ready, but political etiquette demanded they had to give chance at forming the government to PPP first. Smaller parties had no political or ideological affiliation with PPP and they put up a whole list of demands that PPP had to agree. If that hadn't worked out, Dems would have been in the govt themselves.

Only Newin's people are legitimate defectors from the 2007 elections point of view, but lots of things have changed since then already, it's Newin's responsibility, and his own gamble with his voters.

>>>>

I agree that Abhisit looks like he was handed the power, that he didn't really seized it, apart from doing a round with roses (that was very gay, imo).

On the other hand, the political winds have changed and only Abhisit was up there ready with all his sails up - he simply caught the wind, that's where his power comes from. He is nobody's puppet but a slave to the popular demand for a change after a year under PPP.

:o:D :D

I agree, but he has a wife and two children.

:D :D :wai:

Actually in France and around those parts,

Roses are an EXTREMELY socialist , populist icon.

I suspect this was his iconic gesture,

which may have been lost on many.

But I saw it as such immediately.

^^^:o

ALeqM5gARcyvtKWc7Er0VF7EderXGz_wiA.jpg

Thai policemen stand guard as taxi drivers protest against Thailand's new prime minister

ALeqM5jRmkLSzu3XrAkh9MhDUWwK0i7xdQ.jpg

Thai taxi drivers wave flags during a protest against Thailand's new prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva

New Thai government mulls Cabinet as police stand guard

BANGKOK — Thailand's new government began working on its Cabinet line-up Tuesday, as hundreds of police stood guard to prevent disruptions from angry supporters of the old administration.

The Democrat Party managed to win over enough lawmakers previously aligned to the former ruling party to clinch a Parliament vote Monday nominating its leader Abhisit Vejjajiva as the new Prime Minister.

His appointment came nearly two weeks after a court dissolved the ruling People Power Party (PPP) linked to ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

Democrat Party Secretary-General Suthep Tuagsuban vowed that the new Cabinet would strive to boost the economy.

"Abhisit will oversee the economic team because this government gives priority to economic matters," Suthep told reporters. He said Cabinet positions were still being hammered out and would be divided up between the Democrats and their smaller coalition partners, whose defection from the now-dissolved PPP gave Abhisit his slim majority.

The 44-year-old Oxford graduate is awaiting the official decree from the King in the coming days installing him as Thailand's 27th premier, and said only that he was "preparing for work."

As Democrat leaders met behind closed doors, about 300 police stood guard outside their Bangkok headquarters where dozens of supporters of Thaksin dressed in red shirts had gathered to denounce Abhisit's election.

"Police have deployed forces at the Democrat Headquarters since Monday, and this morning (Tuesday) we will send more police there," said Police Major-General Amnuay Nimmano, Deputy Metropolitan Police Commander.

Clashes broke out between police and the "red shirts" on Monday, after about 100 protesters gathered outside Parliament and hurled traffic barriers and stones to try to block the main gate to the building.

There were about 40 protesters outside the Democrat Headquarters on Tuesday, and they left after representatives of a pro-Thaksin group laid a wreath, denouncing the party as a puppet of the army.

"The 'red shirts' with Thaksin behind the scenes will try to mobilise. This brings us back to the cycle of crisis and confrontation," said political analyst Thitinan Pongsudhirak.

- AFP / 50 minutes ago

Edited by sriracha john

Agreed, it has much more to do with the world-wide down-turn, and quite a lot to do with the recent policy of the BoT to maintain a Strong-Baht policy, against the best interests of tourism & exporters and the workers formerly employed in those industries.

Why did they pursue this damaging policy to the bitter end ? Hopefully it will now swiftly be abandoned, in whatever face-saving fashion can be devised, by Abhisit.

Those in the tourism industry would disagree. The plunge in tourism is directly attributable to the airport fiasco.

Oh, you can be sure that they will, but it is a LIE.

The PAD drove out the tourists who were here and scared the rest into canceling their vacations for this year. It is too bad that there is no way to make them pay the poor for their lost income along with the airlines and the hotel industry. :o

More anecdotal evedence.

The resort down the street has 50% occupancy for the 1st time EVER,

and they are over the moon about it.

I know two places that are booked through Feb, no rooms till March,

and some of the Spa's are doing well too, particularly Kamalaya.

I wonder if a larger percentage of north vs south resort bookings are differing?

ALeqM5gARcyvtKWc7Er0VF7EderXGz_wiA.jpg

Thai policemen stand guard as taxi drivers protest against Thailand's new prime minister

As Democrat leaders met behind closed doors, about 300 police stood guard outside their Bangkok headquarters where dozens of supporters of Thaksin dressed in red shirts had gathered to denounce Abhisit's election.

"Police have deployed forces at the Democrat Headquarters since Monday, and this morning (Tuesday) we will send more police there," said Police Major-General Amnuay Nimmano, Deputy Metropolitan Police Commander.

*and now, the copycat "rally on a stage" begins here...*

Pro-PTP Protesters Set Up Stage Next To Democrats HQ

In a protest against the election of former opposition leader and Democrat Party Leader Abhisit Vejjajiva as the new premier of Thailand on Monday, members of the pro-PTP group have set up a stage next to the Democrat Party Headquarters.

The pro-PTP protesters, also known as the red shirt protesters, have set up a rally stage next to the Democrats Headquarters. Key red shirt protesters have taken turn on the stage to criticize Abhisit and the Party. They have accused the Party of being controlled by the military.

Police maintain a close watch on the group to prevent the red shirt protesters from instigating more attacks against the Democrats.

The red shirt protesters reacted angrily on Monday when Abhisit was elected as the new premier instead of the PTP-sponsored Police General Pracha Promnok. They attacked cars and vans that were transporting Democrats MPs out of Parliament. A number of Democrat Party MPs suffered injuries after rocks and bricks were thrown at their vehicles.

- TOC / 2008-12-16

More anecdotal evedence.

The resort down the street has 50% occupancy for the 1st time EVER,

and they are over the moon about it.

I know two places that are booked through Feb, no rooms till March,

and some of the Spa's are doing well too, particularly Kamalaya.

I wonder if a larger percentage of north vs south resort bookings are differing?

Just been speaking to a friend of mine in Chiang Mai, bookings are really down on last year!, they will struggle to get through this "High Season"

FF

Can't see the "red shirts" having anywhere as much opportunity to create chaos on the streets of Bangkok as their yellow shirted cousins.

My post was 17 seconds too late.

Can't quite see the point you're making with this post, SJ. Or why you filleted thailandjunkie's post by editing out his second sentence. Naturally, these protestors are not going to be given the carte blanche given to PAD.

Can't see the "red shirts" having anywhere as much opportunity to create chaos on the streets of Bangkok as their yellow shirted cousins.

My post was 17 seconds too late.

Can't quite see the point you're making with this post, SJ. Or why you filleted thailandjunkie's post by editing out his second sentence. Naturally, these protestors are not going to be given the carte blanche given to PAD.

Carte blanche????

You missed 7 October.....I never saw such cruel before.

Actually in France and around those parts,

Roses are an EXTREMELY socialist , populist icon.

I suspect this was his iconic gesture,

which may have been lost on many.

But I saw it as such immediately.

Do you think he makes such a gesture who no one including the receiver won't understand?

So north is doing worse.

Anecdotally.

Friends reporting that Chiangmai is very quiet. One close friend who is an owner of a well known, long established bar in Chiangmai tells me takings and business are well down on last year. Golf courses are much less populated by the yearly influx of Japanese and Korean groups. Tee off times freely available at most.