Abhisit Vejjajiva Elected New Prime Minister Of Thailand

george

Imagine what Einstein could have been if he had attended university. :o

Da_n! I wish I'd said that........ :D

And I wrote the script for a dramatised biography of him............ oh, the shame. :D:D

I also wrote one about Hitler and he rose quite far without having a degree..... Hmmm, no - you're right......... best not to go there........ :D

Hitler wanted to painting, but university rejected him twice.

If they would have taken him, he might got a well known artist.

Not correcting your English - just adding more deatil.

" ............, he might have been a great artist (INSTEAD)."

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Da_n! I wish I'd said that........ :D

And I wrote the script for a dramatised biography of him............ oh, the shame. :D:D

I also wrote one about Hitler and he rose quite far without having a degree..... Hmmm, no - you're right......... best not to go there........ :D

Stalin went to college :wai:

Kubla Kahn didn't.

? Many universities in Outer Mongolia in the 12th century were there? Managed to rule the largest empire the World has ever seen though...

But, your focus is interesting in so much as it's consistent, PADites do tend to live a few centuries out of date; you know, before democracy became common...

So you flame me as a PADite, and say i am living in few centuries out of date eh?

Just because I can pull an appropriate reference for a pantheon of post-christian historical personages?

I would more acurately see myself as centrist seeing merit in some of PAD's goals,

which says little about their methods. I would have been willing to see merit in

even Samaks end results if there had been anything worth noting...

No one side has exclusive rights to the domain of truth.

No one group is without sin and mistakes and thus

siding on all points exclusively with one group ignores truths.

Getting retro is clearly late 1950's tube technology for me.

But that reality really doesn't fit your desire to ignore the points being made

and shoot the messenger for perceived biases, in support of your OWN biases.

Your 1st comment was good, your second one just shows your blanket biases.

Thaksinistas vs PADites is an arbitrary line in the sand drawn by partisans, to make

themselves feel better in a group, rather than standing alone within their own philosophy.

Kubla Kahn is a bit before my prefered historical reading.

I lean more toward 1,000-1,500AD european studies.

A better crucible of humanities development relative to today in some ways.

Edited by animatic

I have no degree in my speciality,

When I learned most of it there WAS no degree available,

but for 15 years a certain college level school

tried to recruit me to teach there in their new 'degree' program.

Some things there is just no substitute for actually doing it for several dozen years.

I don't have any degree, start to work when I was 15, but had an rather successful career,( middle management).

but I regret I do not have an degree in filosofy and didn't study Latin and ancient Geeck, because its give you a wider perspective on things, andi n all honesty sometimes I feel sometimes handicapted by that lack of knowledge,because i had to find out everything by the university of life, and that was not always easy.

I did study latin and find it useful mostly for parsing words...and little else.

I also did study philosophies, but partly because my father taught philosophy at university level,

so it was just something around the house to talk about. But that talk extended outwards in time.

He also taught remedial lating to 1st year flunkers.

If you decide to stop learning, then you rise to your last level and stop.

But if you decide to keep learning many directions can be taken.

They need not be in the directed tangent of a degree course load.

Of course the books and course curriculum for most any degree program

ARE available on the net to anyone, and you can buy the books and read them.

You then will HAVE the knowledge within for yourself. That is the true end goal.

Total cost is the books, and the time to read them.

DaVinci said, (aproximately)

Master 1-2 things in your life,

be very conversant on several others,

learn all you can about most anything you find interesting

and learn something about a few things you don't find interesting, but can make useful.

Edited by animatic

On reflection (i.e. after refreshing my memory via Google :D ), I'm glad I didn't say it. Einstein did attend Swiss Federal Polytechnic School* in Zurich and received a diploma

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics...nstein-bio.html

before going to work as a technical assistant at the Swiss Patent Office where he did so much of his work to create the famous theories.

*elsewhere referred to as a university

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein

On reflection (i.e. after refreshing my memory via Google :D ), I'm glad I didn't say it. Einstein did attend Swiss Federal Polytechnic School* in Zurich and received a diploma

before going to work as a technical assistant at the Swiss Patent Office where he did so much of his work to create the famous theories.

Of course today managment would be on his case as a slacker wasting government time

thinking extra curricularly. If he worked for a company they would expect to own the patents... :D

Totally agree. He can be the most educated guy going it will not mean a dot to the Thais when it comes to who has money and power. You have centuries of Thai culture and in the end the person who wins over or panders to the rich and powerful will be the one in power (puppet). What have the poor to offer.

The poor have the greatest power of all. (Voting power in numbers) Toxin proved that with his landslide victory, But as i said in another thread sometime ago. He gave a carrot to the poor and took a giant water melon in return. Good deal or what?

I welcome the new PM with open heart and wish him every success. I hope he is the Obama of Thailand

Of course today managment would be on his case as a slacker wasting government time

thinking extra curricularly. If he worked for a company they would expect to own the patents... :D

In fact, it happened then to him. Fortunately the office management was over-ruled - sometimes (only sometimes) a higher authority does the right thing.

The poor have the greatest power of all. (Voting power in numbers) Toxin proved that with his landslide victory, But as i said in another thread sometime ago. He gave a carrot to the poor and took a giant water melon in return. Good deal or what?

GROWING DEBT FORCING RICE FARMERS TO PUT THEIR FARMLANDS UP FOR SALE

Bangkok Post Dec 21, 2008

Mounting debt is forcing rice farmers to sell their farmlands, a trend officials fear would doom the future of the rice sector, a senior Agriculture and Cooperatives Ministry official said yesterday.

Despite rice prices skyrocketing early this year rice farmers did not benefit as they had to bear higher fertilizer, pesticides and land rental fee costs, according to the director-general of the Rice Department, Prasert Kosalwit.

The higher rice prices did not help improve their income because the costs involved in growing the rice were also much higher, he said.

Landowners made the situation worse by raising the fee charged on farmland rented by landless farmers, he said.

The only people to benefit from higher rice prices were the millers and exporters.

The farmers' problems are reflected in their debt records. Last year the total debt owed by farmers was 90.64 billion baht, according to the Siam Commercial Bank and the Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives.

But their total debt in the first three months of this year alone has already reached 83.74 billion baht. The figure does not include the illegal loans that they may have also acquired.

Although fuel prices are now dropping, rice production costs are still the same.

The cost of producing the main rice crop is approximately 3,000 baht per rai, and the second crop 4,300 baht per rai. Each farmer normally earns between 2,000 and 4,000 baht, with most of the revenue used up for debt repayment, he said.

continues: bangkokpost.com/news/local/8441/growing-debt-forcing-rice-farmers-to-put-their-farmlands-up-for-sale

EC is all set to hold by-election on Jan 11

The Election Commission (EC) is prepared to hold a by-election to replace 29 disqualified MPs on January 11 with a total budget amounting to 340 million baht.

Election Commissioner (EC) Mrs. Sodsri Satayatham disclosed today (December 21) that the royal decree was endorsed by His Majesty the King to hold a by-election on January 11, 2009. Applications for the by-election can be submitted between December 22 and 26.

The by-election covers 26 constituencies in 22 provinces, totaling 29 MPs. Voters could cast their ballots in advance between January 3 and 4, 2009.

She asserted that provincial ECs expressed their full readiness over the by-election following meetings between all concerned authorities last week. 340 million baht was set aside as the budget for holding the by-election.

The by-election would be held following the Constitution Court's ruling to dissolve three previous coalition Parties, including People Power, Chart Thai, and Matchima Thipataya on December 2 on charges of election frauds. It resulted in 29 MPs, as former executives of the three parties, being disqualified as MP's as stipulated in the Constitution.

- ThaiNews / 2008-12-21

EC is all set to hold by-election on Jan 11

The Election Commission (EC) is prepared to hold a by-election to replace 29 disqualified MPs on January 11 with a total budget amounting to 340 million baht.

Election Commissioner (EC) Mrs. Sodsri Satayatham disclosed today (December 21) that the royal decree was endorsed by His Majesty the King to hold a by-election on January 11, 2009. Applications for the by-election can be submitted between December 22 and 26.

The by-election covers 26 constituencies in 22 provinces, totaling 29 MPs. Voters could cast their ballots in advance between January 3 and 4, 2009.

She asserted that provincial ECs expressed their full readiness over the by-election following meetings between all concerned authorities last week. 340 million baht was set aside as the budget for holding the by-election.

The by-election would be held following the Constitution Court's ruling to dissolve three previous coalition Parties, including People Power, Chart Thai, and Matchima Thipataya on December 2 on charges of election frauds. It resulted in 29 MPs, as former executives of the three parties, being disqualified as MP's as stipulated in the Constitution.

- ThaiNews / 2008-12-21

Can anyone tell me how a budget of 340 Million is calculated? What is costing that much?

Bangkokpost 19-Dec-2008

Meanwhile, Democrat secretary-general Suthep Thaugsuban said he does not know about Mr Nipit's revelation to the media that an 80 million baht donation was given to the party.

But he insisted that the party will not offer anything back to any donor.

His statement came after Mr Nipit, a fellow southerner, said the party is being influenced by business groups.

"If

the person who said this can prove that I sell any cabinet post, then I

will resign from all positions in the Democrat party," Mr Suthep said.

Mr

Suthep said that he tipped Mr Veerachai as a cabinet member

because of his close connections with the Chinese business community

and his expertise in economic affairs.

Mr Veerachai is said to

have edged out Mr Nipit for the post of PM's Office minister in the

final cabinet line-up of the ruling party.

So 80 million is the price for a cabinet seat. Gee it didn't take the Democrats very long to get their noses in the trough. I wonder if the judiciary will investigate?

Yes , for full article : Aphisit denies money influenced choices :

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/tops...s.php?id=135512

As if 80 million baht could possibly influence anyone ? The very idea !! :o

Bangkokpost 19-Dec-2008

Meanwhile, Democrat secretary-general Suthep Thaugsuban said he does not know about Mr Nipit's revelation to the media that an 80 million baht donation was given to the party.

His statement came after Mr Nipit, a fellow southerner, said the party is being influenced by business groups.

"If

the person who said this can prove that I sell any cabinet post, then I

will resign from all positions in the Democrat party," Mr Suthep said.

Mr

Suthep said that he tipped Mr Veerachai as a cabinet member

because of his close connections with the Chinese business community

and his expertise in economic affairs.

Mr Veerachai is said to

have edged out Mr Nipit for the post of PM's Office minister in the

final cabinet line-up of the ruling party.

So 80 million is the price for a cabinet seat. Gee it didn't take the Democrats very long to get their noses in the trough. I wonder if the judiciary will investigate?

Yes , for full article : Aphisit denies money influenced choices :

I know Khun Kasit on a personal base when he was still a young diplomat in the Brussels embassy. he was even a guest in my house on several occasions and the best man of my wife on my wedding.

Since than he made a brilliant career, at one moment he was even ambassador in Japan. He have a vast international experience , I think hies the best choice as minister of foreign affaires.

Landowners made the situation worse by raising the fee charged on farmland rented by landless farmers, he said.

The only people to benefit from higher rice prices were the millers and exporters.

So actually the landowners also benefitted, not just millers & exporters, as stated ?

[/i]Yes , for full article : Aphisit denies money influenced choices :

I know Khun Kasit on a personal base when he was still a young diplomat in the Brussels embassy. he was even a guest in my house on several occasions and the best man of my wife on my wedding.

Since than he made a brilliant career, at one moment he was even ambassador in Japan. He have a vast international experience , I think hies the best choice as minister of foreign affaires.

Well thats very nice for you Henry , (excuse familiarity ) , but be that as it may ,there are many within the democrat party itself that feel Khun Kasits close relationship with the PAD makes him a questionable choice for the important post of foreign minister :

Democrats unhappy about his PAD links

http://www.bangkokpost.com/191208_News/19Dec2008_news01.php

His comments about the takeover of the airport by the PAD being " a new innovation for public protests " ( albeit true ) seem to suggest that he wouldn't object if the DAAD pulled the same stunt ? If he really wants to be confirmed in the position of foreign minister he might do well to be a little more thoughtful about what he says.

Philip Golongai of the Malaysian Star has a useful account of Abhisit's road to power.It would be richly comic save for the fact it is all too true.

Saturday, December 20

Planning a coup? Here’s how

Thai Takes

By PHILIP GOLINGAI

PSST, do you want to bring down a democratically-elected government? Here’s a blueprint on how to install a squeaky clean politician whose party does not have an overall majority in parliament as prime minister.

While the targeted prime minister is out of the country – say, in New York to address the United Nations general assembly – get the military to launch a coup.

Call it “Happy Coup”. Impose martial law and install a former general as prime minister.

But that’s not quite enough. A military junta can’t rule forever; the civilised world demands an elected leader.

Before the election, get the court to dissolve the most powerful party (the only party to have won an outright majority in your country’s political history) and – for good measure – ban its 111 executives, including the ousted prime minister, from politics for five years.

Oops! Your party failed to win the election although it outspent the reincarnated party of the disbanded party by three to one.

Mai pen rai (Thai for “don’t worry”). It’s not your fault. Voters – especially the poor from the north and north-east – don’t understand democracy.

Although your party has only 166 MPs (in the 480-MP parliament) propose the squeaky clean politician as prime minister. Don’t be too disappointed, however, when MPs from the reincarnated party and its five coalition partners vote in for a loud-mouthed prime minister.

Four months later, unleash a movement (give it a name with democratic sounding words like “People”, “Alliance” and “Demo­cracy”) to attack the government for being the puppet of the deposed prime minister.

Don’t forget to storm Government House (the prime minister’s office).

Don’t worry when the prime minister declares a state of emergency as the military will refuse to enforce the rule of law. Plus you have sen (Thai for “connection”) to a powerful invisible hand.

Despite losing his office, the premier still clings to power. It’s time for a judicial coup. Get the court to remove him from office for moonlighting as a chef in a television cooking show.

For the second time, propose the squeaky clean politician as prime minister. He loses again? Ah, the ruling party has the numbers.

But, mai pen rai, as the newly elected premier is a brother-in-law of the deposed prime minister, this will legitimise the anti-government movement’s claim that a puppet government is running the country.

Now for a TV coup. Get the army chief – flanked by the navy chief, the air force chief and the police chief – to appear on television, demanding that the prime minister resign, as surely somebody must take responsibility for the bloody clash between the police and the movement with the democratic-sounding name.

The army chief’s demand is ignored? It’s time to close an airport or two.

Mai pen rai. When the government declares emergency rule at the besieged airports the invisible hand will order the soldiers to refuse to enforce the rule of law.

The stubborn government is still clinging to power? Well, it’s time for another judicial coup.

Dissolve the ruling party and its two coalition partners for electoral fraud and ban 109 of the executives – including the prime minister and 29 MPs – from politics for five years.

Let’s look at the latest numbers now. The disbanded ruling party has 219 MPs and its five coalition allies 65, compared with your party’s 165. Mai pen rai. For the sake of national unity or a lucrative Cabinet portfolio or 40 million baht (RM4mil), there are parliamentarians who can be persuaded to support your coalition government.

If the politicians still need persuasion, arrange for the army chief to “advise” them in his home. But make sure they know the location of the general’s house. If not, a military escort will have to fetch them at a nearby petrol station; and those pesky reporters will find out about this super secret deal.

On the eve of the parliament vote, lock the parliamentarians whose loyalty you’ve secured in a safe hotel. And don’t forget to confiscate their handphones so they do not receive any calls topping up the price of loyalty.

Congratulations, your coalition has won a slender parliamentary majority (235 votes to 198). Now your squeaky clean and very handsome politician is a prime minister.

(Published in The Star on December 20, 2008)

Philip Golongai of the Malaysian Star has a useful account of Abhisit's road to power.It would be richly comic save for the fact it is all too true.

Saturday, December 20

Thai Takes

By PHILIP GOLINGAI

Oh - but didn't he once go for a coffee with the cousin of the maid of the aunt of the infamous Sam Moon (now better known as SuperMoon) ? :o

NO credibility whatsoever! :D

Saturday, December 20

Thai Takes

By PHILIP GOLINGAI

PSST, do you want to bring down a democratically-elected government? Here’s a blueprint on how to install a squeaky clean politician whose party does not have an overall majority in parliament as prime minister.

While the targeted prime minister is out of the country – say, in New York to address the United Nations general assembly – get the military to launch a coup.

Call it “Happy Coup”. Impose martial law and install a former general as prime minister.

But that’s not quite enough. A military junta can’t rule forever; the civilised world demands an elected leader.

Before the election, get the court to dissolve the most powerful party (the only party to have won an outright majority in your country’s political history) and – for good measure – ban its 111 executives, including the ousted prime minister, from politics for five years.

Oops! Your party failed to win the election although it outspent the reincarnated party of the disbanded party by three to one.

Mai pen rai (Thai for “don’t worry”). It’s not your fault. Voters – especially the poor from the north and north-east – don’t understand democracy.

Although your party has only 166 MPs (in the 480-MP parliament) propose the squeaky clean politician as prime minister. Don’t be too disappointed, however, when MPs from the reincarnated party and its five coalition partners vote in for a loud-mouthed prime minister.

Four months later, unleash a movement (give it a name with democratic sounding words like “People”, “Alliance” and “Demo­cracy”) to attack the government for being the puppet of the deposed prime minister.

Don’t forget to storm Government House (the prime minister’s office).

Don’t worry when the prime minister declares a state of emergency as the military will refuse to enforce the rule of law. Plus you have sen (Thai for “connection”) to a powerful invisible hand.

Despite losing his office, the premier still clings to power. It’s time for a judicial coup. Get the court to remove him from office for moonlighting as a chef in a television cooking show.

For the second time, propose the squeaky clean politician as prime minister. He loses again? Ah, the ruling party has the numbers.

But, mai pen rai, as the newly elected premier is a brother-in-law of the deposed prime minister, this will legitimise the anti-government movement’s claim that a puppet government is running the country.

Now for a TV coup. Get the army chief – flanked by the navy chief, the air force chief and the police chief – to appear on television, demanding that the prime minister resign, as surely somebody must take responsibility for the bloody clash between the police and the movement with the democratic-sounding name.

The army chief’s demand is ignored? It’s time to close an airport or two.

Mai pen rai. When the government declares emergency rule at the besieged airports the invisible hand will order the soldiers to refuse to enforce the rule of law.

The stubborn government is still clinging to power? Well, it’s time for another judicial coup.

Dissolve the ruling party and its two coalition partners for electoral fraud and ban 109 of the executives – including the prime minister and 29 MPs – from politics for five years.

Let’s look at the latest numbers now. The disbanded ruling party has 219 MPs and its five coalition allies 65, compared with your party’s 165. Mai pen rai. For the sake of national unity or a lucrative Cabinet portfolio or 40 million baht (RM4mil), there are parliamentarians who can be persuaded to support your coalition government.

If the politicians still need persuasion, arrange for the army chief to “advise” them in his home. But make sure they know the location of the general’s house. If not, a military escort will have to fetch them at a nearby petrol station; and those pesky reporters will find out about this super secret deal.

On the eve of the parliament vote, lock the parliamentarians whose loyalty you’ve secured in a safe hotel. And don’t forget to confiscate their handphones so they do not receive any calls topping up the price of loyalty.

Congratulations, your coalition has won a slender parliamentary majority (235 votes to 198). Now your squeaky clean and very handsome politician is a prime minister.

As simple as 1,2,3! :o

Saturday, December 20

Thai Takes

By PHILIP GOLINGAI

Oh - but didn't he once go for a coffee with the cousin of the maid of the aunt of the infamous Sam Moon (now better known as SuperMoon) ? :o

NO credibility whatsoever! :D

No I don't think so but I could be wrong.I believe however he did once flew in the same flight from Bangkok to Chiengmai with Jonathan Head...say no more squire, say no more.

Well thats very nice for you Henry , (excuse familiarity ) , but be that as it may ,there are many within the democrat party itself that feel Khun Kasits close relationship with the PAD makes him a questionable choice for the important post of foreign minister :

His comments about the takeover of the airport by the PAD being " a new innovation for public protests " ( albeit true ) seem to suggest that he wouldn't object if the DAAD pulled the same stunt ? If he really wants to be confirmed in the position of foreign minister he might do well to be a little more thoughtful about what he says.

The main reason why I think Kasit is a good choice is because hies a career diplomat who has been in the diplomatic service from more than 30 years. Because of this he have many contacts all over the world. Therefore he must have a vast experience in foreign relationships.

Or do you prefer somebody as foreign minister who had never left the country.

The name Kasit is of no importance as long its somebody with the same experience.

PS calling me henry is no familiarity at all, feel free to do so.

Forgot to mention in my last posting, that because Kasit was staying abroad most of his life, protests like occupation of airports, road block and so on is not alien to him. His statement can only mean that he regarded this as an democratic tool, maybe strange in Thai politics, that's why he called it a new innovation in the way of publis protest to become genuine democracy. Also the new PM said he didn't mind if the red shirts will demonstrate against him, because its there democratic right. Its up to the government to convince the public that they are genuine in their pro misses to exclude nobody in achieving a better Thailand.

Saturday, December 20

Planning a coup? Here's how

Thai Takes

By PHILIP GOLINGAI

PSST, do you want to bring down a democratically-elected government? Here's a blueprint on how to install a squeaky clean politician whose party does not have an overall majority in parliament as prime minister.

Call it "Happy Coup". Impose martial law and install a former general as prime minister.

But that's not quite enough. A military junta can't rule forever; the civilised world demands an elected leader.

Before the election, get the court to dissolve the most powerful party (the only party to have won an outright majority in your country's political history) and – for good measure – ban its 111 executives, including the ousted prime minister, from politics for five years.

Mai pen rai (Thai for "don't worry"). It's not your fault. Voters – especially the poor from the north and north-east – don't understand democracy.

Although your party has only 166 MPs (in the 480-MP parliament) propose the squeaky clean politician as prime minister. Don't be too disappointed, however, when MPs from the reincarnated party and its five coalition partners vote in for a loud-mouthed prime minister.

Four months later, unleash a movement (give it a name with democratic sounding words like "People", "Alliance" and "Demo­cracy") to attack the government for being the puppet of the deposed prime minister.

Don't forget to storm Government House (the prime minister's office).

Don't worry when the prime minister declares a state of emergency as the military will refuse to enforce the rule of law. Plus you have sen (Thai for "connection") to a powerful invisible hand.

Despite losing his office, the premier still clings to power. It's time for a judicial coup. Get the court to remove him from office for moonlighting as a chef in a television cooking show.

But, mai pen rai, as the newly elected premier is a brother-in-law of the deposed prime minister, this will legitimise the anti-government movement's claim that a puppet government is running the country.

The army chief's demand is ignored? It's time to close an airport or two.

The stubborn government is still clinging to power? Well, it's time for another judicial coup.

Let's look at the latest numbers now. The disbanded ruling party has 219 MPs and its five coalition allies 65, compared with your party's 165. Mai pen rai. For the sake of national unity or a lucrative Cabinet portfolio or 40 million baht (RM4mil), there are parliamentarians who can be persuaded to support your coalition government.

If the politicians still need persuasion, arrange for the army chief to "advise" them in his home. But make sure they know the location of the general's house. If not, a military escort will have to fetch them at a nearby petrol station; and those pesky reporters will find out about this super secret deal.

On the eve of the parliament vote, lock the parliamentarians whose loyalty you've secured in a safe hotel. And don't forget to confiscate their handphones so they do not receive any calls topping up the price of loyalty.

And all of this as published in a newspaper of a country where MP's are appointed by the king, A country where there is no real freedom of religion, A country where some ethnic groups don't have the same rights as the others. A country where women can't married a man from another religion. A country where a man get a 15 year jail sentence because he converted himself to a different faith.

They better comment the injustices in their own country, oops sorry can(t do because there is no freedom of the press also, some foreign magazines are even forbidden.

Shame on them to have the audacity to point the finger to another country.

The main reason why I think Kasit is a good choice is because hies a career diplomat who has been in the diplomatic service from more than 30 years. Because of this he have many contacts all over the world. Therefore he must have a vast experience in foreign relationships.

Or do you prefer somebody as foreign minister who had never left the country.

The name Kasit is of no importance as long its somebody with the same experience.

PS calling me henry is no familiarity at all, feel free to do so.

Personaly, I think there are valid points in what you say. It certainly would be preferable to have someone in the post with experience and foreign connections and in this respect, his CV fits the bill .

However, the wounds of the recent troubles are not yet healed and there are those who will say that in supporting the PAD and thereby bringing the Democrats to power, he has been feathering his own nest. Or worse, that his position has been negotiated for by the same people who have financed the PAD.

I am sure that what you say is true that on a personal level he is a very decent person. Sadly, I have sometimes known and been close friends with people who although charming , affable and honest to me personaly have treated other people outside their own close circle less agreeably. Nonetheless, Aphisit doesn't seem to have lost any time or sleep in making his decision so it looks like those within his party who are not happy about it will just have to put up with it. Every decision he makes is bound to make both friends and potential future enemies.

And all of this as published in a newspaper of a country where MP's are appointed by the king, A country where there is no real freedom of religion, A country where some ethnic groups don't have the same rights as the others. A country where women can't married a man from another religion. A country where a man get a 15 year jail sentence because he converted himself to a different faith.

They better comment the injustices in their own country, oops sorry can(t do because there is no freedom of the press also, some foreign magazines are even forbidden.

Shame on them to have the audacity to point the finger to another country.

Oh Henry! Looks like another trip to Canossa for you......... :o

Malaysia is a federal constitutional elective monarchy. It is nominally headed by the Paramount Ruler or Yang di-Pertuan Agong, commonly referred to as the King of Malaysia. Yang di-Pertuan Agong are selected for five-year terms from among the nine Sultans of the Malay states; the other four states, which have titular Governors, do not participate in the selection. The king also is the leader of the Islamic faith in Malaysia. The system of government in Malaysia is closely modeled on that of Westminster parliamentary system, a legacy of British colonial rule.

The bicameral Parliament consists of the Senate (Dewan Negara) and the House of Representatives (Dewan Rakyat). All seventy Senate members sit for three-year terms (to a maximum of two terms); twenty-six are elected by the thirteen state assemblies, and forty-four are appointed by the king based on the advice of the Prime Minister. The 222 members of the Dewan Rakyat are elected from single-member districts by universal adult suffrage. Parliament has a maximum mandate of five years by law. The king may dissolve parliament at any time and usually does so upon the advice of the Prime Minister.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_Malaysia

Plenty that I don't like about the Malaysian situation, too - but none of it has anything to do with that article. You condemn the country and have nothing to say about the article?

Forgot to mention in my last posting, that because Kasit was staying abroad most of his life, protests like occupation of airports, road block and so on is not alien to him. His statement can only mean that he regarded this as an democratic tool, maybe strange in Thai politics, that's why he called it a new innovation in the way of publis protest to become genuine democracy. Also the new PM said he didn't mind if the red shirts will demonstrate against him, because its there democratic right. Its up to the government to convince the public that they are genuine in their pro misses to exclude nobody in achieving a better Thailand.

Are you completely out of your mind? It may come as news to you but any prominent figure who gave active support to the PAD is tainted.It is also spectacularly inappropriate to compare the illegal seizure of public infrastructure as something Europeans might be familiar with and understand.

As the Bangkok Post put it in its editorial today, "Kasit has shown abysmal andtotally undiplomatic judgement.His open and frequent speeches for the PAD clearly placed him in the small and extreme political minority.That is his right, yet there his no doubt that his solid backing of PAD makes him a questionable choice for government.Most appalling was his opensupport for the takeover of the Bangkok airports by his friends and leaders in the PAD"

This guy is going to be a huge PR disaster for Abhisit.In his professional life he was competent and I have no doubt he is a decent man but that's not the point.He has ruined his reputation by his ill advised active association with the gruesome PAD leadership.

And yet and yet.Despite his shockingly bad recent judgement he wasn't he one of the Ambassadors who helped pull the rug under that complacent fat faced (Surakiart Sathirathat) creep's ludicrous Thaksin backed campaign for the post of UN Secretary General.I guess Kasit is due some credit for that.

Plenty that I don't like about the Malaysian situation, too - but none of it has anything to do with that article. You condemn the country and have nothing to say about the article?

It's become a comic game.Any foreign correspondent who covers the absurdities of political events in Thailand is immediately traduced by PAD ideologues for being in the pay of Thaksin, for being a communist, for being from the wrong country etc etc.As you suggest it's very rare the actual content is analysed and discussed.

Prize for the silliest theory? Clearly it must be the Moon Conspiracy.

Bangkok airport protests were fun, says Thailand's new foreign minister

Thailand's new foreign minister has described last month's hijacking of Bangkok's main international airport as "a lot of fun".

By Thomas Bell in Bangkok DAILY TLEGRAPH.................

Last Updated: 8:09PM GMT 21 Dec 2008

Kasit Piromya, 64, will be sworn in on Monday as Thailand's new foreign minister. His job of rebuilding Thailand's battered international image will not be helped by the fact that he was a prominent supporter of the protests, and still is.

More than 350, 000 travellers were stranded three weeks ago when a few thousand demonstrators from the ultraroyalist People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) stormed the airport. Investor confidence has been badly shaken and analysts say that lost tourism business could cost 1 million jobs.

But Mr Kasit told an audience of astonished diplomats and foreign journalists on Friday that the protests were "a lot of fun".

"The food was excellent, the music was excellent," he explained.

The PAD accused the then government of corruption over its links with the exiled former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra. Although the government was elected only a year earlier, many people in Bangkok's middle class and the old elite find Mr Thaksin's influence in politics completely unacceptable.

Mr Kasit was a regular speaker at the protests, which helped bring the pro-Thaksin government down. His Democrat Party has now formed a new coalition, although they were defeated in each of three general elections held so far this decade.

"Look at it [the PAD protests] as pushing the process of democratisation forward," suggested Mr Kasit.

Many observers believe that the PAD was able to conduct its protest with impunity, and help topple an electorally popular administration, because it enjoys backing from powerful anti-Thaksin elements in the army and the royal palace.

The army is responsible for airport security but did nothing to prevent demonstrators from hijacking one of Asia's most important aviation hubs.

It is widely reported that senior army figures were instrumental in persuading MPs to switch sides to the new coalition. Asked what role the army played in bringing his party to power Mr Kasit said, "I don't know".

The new prime minister, Abhisit Vejjajiva, has promised to bring the PAD to justice. Yet, besides his pick for foreign minister being a prominent supporter of the group, one of PAD's top leaders is a prominent MP in Abhisit's Democrat party.

Dr Pasuk Phongpaicit of Bangkok's Chulalongkorn university said, "It can't be denied that the PAD was instrumental in bringing the Democrats to government. So I think we are going to be disappointed with what this government will do about enforcing the rule of law with respect to the PAD and its activities." Foreign Minister Kasit berated Western diplomats and the foreign media for not being more sympathetic to the PAD's cause.

"You should be happy that for the first time ordinary people came out in full force to oppose corruption," he said. "If society has to be changed it has a price." The PAD employed "security guards" armed with clubs, guns and explosives but Mr Kasit criticised foreigners for dwelling on the movement's violent tendencies.

"People said we were armed," he complained. "My wife used to go every evening. What was she armed with? Only food and medicine!"

Text Size Email this

It's not the first article to take a piss about Thailand's recent politics and there's nothing orignal in it.

What kind of comments do you expect on it?

I bet you heard a hundred times that TRT had to be dissolved and the EC ruling recommending exactly that was issued nearly half a year before the coup. I stopped paying attention when I reached that paragraph.

It's become a comic game.Any foreign correspondent who covers the absurdities of political events in Thailand is immediately traduced by PAD ideologues for being in the pay of Thaksin, for being a communist, for being from the wrong country etc etc.As you suggest it's very rare the actual content is analysed and discussed.

Prize for the silliest theory? Clearly it must be the Moon Conspiracy.

And of course the complete inverse including blatant flaming from the Pro Thaksin camp.

Why do you imagine only one side has a monopoly on truth?

Both sides have done good and bad,

but each did DIFFERENT good and different bad

and so are roundly criticized for their acts.

And the good is ignored to focus on the bad.