Foreign Ministry Revokes Thaksin's Diplomatic Passport

george

It's good that the Foreign Affairs Permanent Secretary was finally able to act on this long overdue matter...and it's unfortunate that he was able to do only after the Foreign Affairs Minister and Thaksin's Chiang Mai boyhood chum Sompong Amornvivat had been kicked to the curb with the other electoral fraud People Power Party executives.

Hopefully we will see a few more matters dealt with that have been buried by Thaksin and his cronies. A few that come to mind are the innocent people slaughtered in the south as well as the so-called drug dealers gunned down on Thaksins implied instructions.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's good that the Foreign Affairs Permanent Secretary was finally able to act on this long overdue matter...and it's unfortunate that he was able to do only after the Foreign Affairs Minister and Thaksin's Chiang Mai boyhood chum Sompong Amornvivat had been kicked to the curb with the other electoral fraud People Power Party executives.

Truth Today removed from TV, Diplomatic passport gone. Then we get to what happens with the attorney general and the DSI which was stuffed with Thaksin loyalists earlier in the year. The investigative and proescutorial apparatus are going to at least become neutral from Thaksin friendly if not down right anti-T. That shift should see even more cases in court where to date he hasnt done very well. As Thaksin said yesterday: "you win some you lose some". However, fotr the immediate future his hand is suddenly a lot weaker.

Hopefully we will see a few more matters dealt with that have been buried by Thaksin and his cronies. A few that come to mind are the innocent people slaughtered in the south as well as the so-called drug dealers gunned down on Thaksins implied instructions.

I agree, this would be a perfect time to start investigating some of Toxins alleged human rights abuses. He's been allowed to pretty much get away with it so far, as he has been in control of the government, but that is not the case now. Hope to see some movement on that.

On a related thread that is now closed, ThaiPaully had a great idea that Taksin should come back, serve his jail time, and re-emerge as a conquering martyr who would save Thailand. Good point, ThaiPaully. Several famous leaders have gone to jail and come back out to lead their people. Vaclav Havel of Czechoslovakia and Nelson Mandela come to mind, also Gandhi and King served time in jail.

Unlike those four international heroes who stayed put and took whatever the powers that be had to dish out, Thaksin fled because he couldn't take the heat. To come back now and serve time would be so obviously cynical a scheme that I doubt it would work. Thaksin's game plan has never included self-sacrifice. Even if the idea occurred to him, I doubt his ego would allow him to spend time behind bars.

I sometimes wonder if the vast majority that post here have only short term memories....Why I suggest this is, when I look at the post as though Thaskin only has 1 case and a judgment for 2 years in prison, so Thailand should not revoke his ordinary passport...

Well he still has an active case in the assets investigation, that has until Jan 25 to run. He then has 7 other cases that are before the courts but are stalled because they require a personal appearance so the charges can be read, and it is clear his is aware of them...(bail at that time is also required).

So the revoking of his Thai passport would be right in line with normal legal procedure, and not uncommon in many countries for indited criminals.

His wife has now also lost her red passport, when she got her new ID card, and no longer carries the Shinawatra name. The "adult children" probably still have red passports.

I sometimes wonder if the vast majority that post here have only short term memories....Why I suggest this is, when I look at the post as though Thaskin only has 1 case and a judgment for 2 years in prison, so Thailand should not revoke his ordinary passport...

Well he still has an active case in the assets investigation, that has until Jan 25 to run. He then has 7 other cases that are before the courts but are stalled because they require a personal appearance so the charges can be read, and it is clear his is aware of them...(bail at that time is also required).

So the revoking of his Thai passport would be right in line with normal legal procedure, and not uncommon in many countries for indited criminals.

His wife has now also lost her red passport, when she got her new ID card, and no longer carries the Shinawatra name. The "adult children" probably still have red passports.

Exactly but the revocation of his normal passport will leave him either forced to beg for refugee status in the country he is in at the time of revocation, use another nationality and passport if he has one, or ask at the Thai embassy for travel papers to return home to jail. It is all potential pressure, but now may not be the time to crank up the confrontation.

Quite sure he could get a Chinese passport quite easily. :o

Chinese for sure not, they don't like corruption.

But some African Passport wouldn't be a problem

As most of us know, it generally isn't possibly to just enter some country and apply for a passport for that country.

Sure, if you spread enough wealth around to the right people anything's possible. But considering the person in question, I'd think many countries would be hesitant to grant Mr T any kind of citizenship and passport.

Even some "less than savoury" countries might baulk at granting a passport (with all the rights that conveys) to a convicted criminal on the run.

And then there's Mr T himself to consider. Do you think he'd want to go to Togo, Lesotho, Chad, Algeria or the "Democratic Republic of Congo" and apply for a passport ? Would his ego be able to bear stooping that low, just to get a passport ?

How would that reflect on his image in Thailand ? Hero of the people, on the lam, travelling on an African passport ?

I think his options are becoming very limited, very quickly.

What is if Thaksin cancel his Thai citizenship (not sure if that's possible) and crying in his video message that the invisible hand don't let him be Thai anymore (even he canceled himself, but can fake the story a bit) but he miss Thailand and only want to help the poor blabla.

He still find some countries to get Visa with his money, he don't need an African passport and he can fake the story that way that he is the victim.

Georgia passport would also fit well.....They have a president who is not that much different with Thaksin.

On a related thread that is now closed, ThaiPaully had a great idea that Taksin should come back, serve his jail time, and re-emerge as a conquering martyr who would save Thailand. Good point, ThaiPaully. Several famous leaders have gone to jail and come back out to lead their people. Vaclav Havel of Czechoslovakia and Nelson Mandela come to mind, also Gandhi and King served time in jail.

Unlike those four international heroes who stayed put and took whatever the powers that be had to dish out, Thaksin fled because he couldn't take the heat. To come back now and serve time would be so obviously cynical a scheme that I doubt it would work. Thaksin's game plan has never included self-sacrifice. Even if the idea occurred to him, I doubt his ego would allow him to spend time behind bars.

These men stoically served time in jail for speaking their minds publically and returned heros.

Thaksin SENT people to jail for speaking their minds publicly.

Or at the very least sued them for 100 times their net worth...

NICE!

I met Mr. Havel briefly several years ago, a very clear speaking gentlemen.

We were both Frank Zappa fans, and the conversation mostly stayed there.

did you really just compare Thaksin to Gandhi??? :o

Thailand's convicted former premier loses diplomatic passport

Bangkok - Thailand's convicted former premier Thaksin Shinawatra has lost his diplomatic "red" passport after failing to appeal an abuse of power sentence, media reports said Tuesday. Thaksin's diplomatic passport was revoked by the Foreign Ministry Friday as Thailand was under a caretaker government.

The Foreign Ministry said the decision was made after Thaksin failed to appeal an October 21 verdict of the Supreme Court that sentenced him to two years in jail for abuse of power when he was prime minister in 2003.

The court found Thaksin guilty of knowingly allowing his ex-wife, Pojaman, to successfully bid on a prime plot of land in Bangkok at a government auction. He had 30 days to appeal the verdict.

The ministry announced the decision after the Thai Parliament voted 235-198 Monday to elect opposition Democrat Party leader Abhist Vejjajiva as Thailand's next prime minister, which was deemed a blow to Thaksin's role as a behind-the-scenes political player.

The past two prime ministers, Samak Sundaravej and Somchai Wongsawat, had close ties to Thaksin. Somchai, who was disqualified as prime minister by a Constitution Court ruling December 2 that found his party guilty of vote-buying in the last election, was Thaksin's brother-in-law.

Samak, a self-described "nominee" for Thaksin, lost his premiership on September 9 when the Constitution Court found him guilty of moonlighting by hosting a culinary television show while in office.

Thaksin, who was prime minister from 2001 to 2006 before being ousted by a coup, lived in self-imposed exile, mostly in London, until February when he returned to Thailand after the pro-Thaksin People Power Party came to power.

He fled again in August after his wife was sentenced to three years in jail for tax evasion.

Two months later, Thaksin officially became a fugitive from justice after the Supreme Court sentenced him to two years in jail and issued a warrant for his arrest.

In early November, British authorities revoked the former first couple's tourist visas, forcing Thaksin and Pojaman to give up their London home.

Thaksin continues to hold a regular Thai passport, on which he has recently travelled to Hong Kong, Bali, Dubai and China, according to close aides.

The Foreign Ministry is looking into procedures for revoking the regular passport, sources said.

"To do so, the Foreign Ministry needs a notification from the police, which it hasn't received yet," said a government source who asked to remain anonymous.

- DPA / 2008-12-16

did you really just compare Thaksin to Gandhi??? :o

I cannot believe I just read that. :D

Thaksin's name in the same paragraph as Gandhi, Mandela, M.L.King and V.Havel is an insult to four great men. :D:D

Gandhi, Mandela ,Havel and King all served time in prison for their human rights activities.

All four are considered heroes in the world.

Thaksin Shinawatra will be remembered as a dodgy Thai politician who ignored human rights and whose sole interest in life was self aggrandizement.

He has yet to serve his time in prison.

In twenty years he will be forgotten by the world..

Edited by ratcatcher

Prasong: Thaksin's Ordinary Passport Should Be Cancelled Soon

A former Constitution Drafting Committee Chairman is confident that the Foreign Ministry will soon cancel the ordinary passport of ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra, after having revoked his diplomatic passport last Friday.

Former Constitution Drafting Committee Chairman and Foreign Affairs Minister Prasong Soonsiri commented that it will not be long before the Foreign Ministry cancels the ordinary passport of ousted and exiled leader Thaksin Shinawatra if he is found guilty by the court in any of the legal cases against him.

Prasong said that if any passport holder is convicted of a crime, the revocation is required as stated by the passport control regulations of the ministry.

On Monday, news broke that the Foreign Ministry has already revoked diplomatic passport of Thaksin Shinawatra, since December 12, and the ex-premier was already informed about it.

Prasong went on to say that, currently, the Foreign Ministry is waiting for the legal interpretation of related laws by the Council of State before it can review Thaksin’s eligibility to travel and his rights to hold an ordinary passport.

While saying that he does not want to complain about the ministry’s tardiness in wrapping up the issue, Prasong is confident that sooner or later Thaksin will be stripped of the rights to travel outside the country.

The revocation of Thaksin's diplomatic passport came about after Prasong filed a petition with the Permanent Secretary to the Foreign Affairs Ministry. He called on the ministry to duly cancel Thaksin's diplomatic passport as specified by the ministry's passport control regulations.

The former Foreign Affairs Minister had also threatened to file a lawsuit against the Permanent Secretary to the Foreign Affairs Ministry if he failed to properly carry out his duties.

- TOC / 2008-12-16

Does he still have his personal passport though ?
Yes

ofcourse he is Thai... you cant' just take someones identity...

Of course, they can't/won't strip his citizenship. But they could cancel his regular Thai passport as well. That is not the same thing at all as stripping citizenship. A passport is a privilege. There are a number of countries which will sell Thakky a new passport and citizenship for travel purposes and that would be humiliating for him (well deserved).

Prasong threatened to sue the FM for not revoking dip. passport, and with Somchai gone, the officials decided to protect their own asses - they are still in shock after Thai-Cambodian communique disaster.

Traditionally the new govt should work out gentelmen's agreement with Thaksin whereby he gets to keep his passport for a while but shuts his trap in exchange. Tradition for Democrats, though, means they should let the judiciary do their jobs, but if Abhisit lets the process go on itself he might have to deal with jailing Thaksin sooner than he wants - very dangerous thing for the country.

Shouldn't Potjaman's passport be revoked or confiscated as well?

I heard she is on bail, what's preventing her from leaving the country again? :o

Well the last government made it easy for her to come and go.

May be a bit harder to leave shortly.

She IS under appeal, after conviction.

But someone should think about calling in her passport yes.

These men stoically served time in jail for speaking their minds publically and returned heros.

NICE!

Never have I understood so much from so few words. :o:D:D

As you are so specific, who did he send to jail? Were there no court appearances etc. Please enlighten.

City of tiny lights indeed!

NICE!

Never have I understood so much from so few words. :o:D:D

As you are so specific, who did he send to jail? Were there no court appearances etc. Please enlighten.

City of tiny lights indeed!

No, amend that he sent some home to meet their maker.

Besides Bangkok Post reporters hauled in and an editor fired,

and other meddlesome journalists from Thai papers...

In those days : 'The truth shall get you time in stir."

You don't like Zappa that's your problem, he was enough of a

serious composer to get the London Symphonie behind him.

He also was an astute social commentator and that's what

Mr. Havel enjoyed in his work, noting some of the same themes were in his stage plays,

besides Zappa's jazz and classical influences grafted to rock.

It was far from just 'Yellow Snow'.

Better to light a tiny bulb that to curse the darkness.

Curiouser and curiouser.

You make a statement about sending people to jail and sueing them.

When I ask who, you change the entire story.

Now its the Bangkok post editor fired! Or are you going to tell me who he killed for speaking his mind.

FTR I did like Frank Zappa!

See Tak Bai.

Didn't like the gathering's ideas, order them

stacked like cordwood in a 100 degree hot truck..

oops dead, sorry, shouldn't have talked against Thasin's decisions.

Actually I did say WHO, just not the family names.

See Post editor fired after being called to jail,

See Post reporter hauled in to jail too then fired

both over airport cracks. Reporter beat the lawsuit.

After Thaksin fell. Editor was still fired.

Both spent time in a cell as far as I know.

I could never pronounce the Thai journos names, from that time,

but he made life tough for any dissenting voices back them.

His old cop buddies hauled in many writers for dissenting opinions in public.

It was one of the first things that turned me off to Dr. T.

You of course bypass the real point,

no comparison to King, Ghandi, Havel or Mandela.

Edited by animatic

Curiouser and curiouser.

Now its the Bangkok post editor fired! Or are you going to tell me who he killed for speaking his mind.

Back in my day, we had to walk 10 miles to school, through snow drifts 10 feet high. You darn kids have it too easy today

Hi Guys,

So if they revoke Thaksin's Thai passport and he is currently in another country he must be there illegally. Does this mean that the immigration in that country will have to send him back to Thailand. I am just trying to get an angle on the actions of the Thai foreign ministry.

It must be killing him not to be able to watch the English football team in which he has a vested interest.

Cheers, Rick

Curiouser and curiouser.

Back in my day, we had to walk 10 miles to school, through snow drifts 10 feet high. You darn kids have it too easy today

Uphill in your fathers pyjamas i suppose !!!!!!!!!! LOL 555

Editorial

Foreign Ministry must revoke Thaksin's passport

Free from the grip of the fugitive former PM, the Foreign Ministry can enjoy a new lease of life

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, after finally revoking the diplomatic red passport belonging to former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, must now also revoke his standard passport. His legal status as a convicted criminal and fugitive should be understood by all countries.

As a convicted felon, he is automatically disqualified from the right to possess a Thai passport.

Thaksin is no different to any other Thai citizen who has a passport. This travel document belongs to the Thai government, and it can be withdrawn at any time.

The privilege of owning a diplomatic passport was at last removed from Thaksin after months of wrangling. Following the formation of a Democrat-led coalition government on Monday, the Saranrom Palace did the right thing in revoking the diplomatic privilege. Indeed, the Foreign Ministry should have done this long ago, if only to prove that it can act independently. But the political burden that would have come with such a move stalled its willingness to make a decision on the matter.

This time the decision can be viewed as a willow bending with the political wind. The ministry quietly revoked the diplomatic passport after Thaksin did not appeal his case when he was convicted of malfeasance concerning conflict of interest over the Rachadaphisek land deal. In October, the Supreme Court sentenced him to a two-year jail term in absentia. That should have been sufficient ground for the ministry to revoke his passport then. The ministry now says that it consulted the government before making the decision.

The ministry's handling of the passport case shows the true nature of the senior officials in control at the moment. They will do anything to survive. The professionalism of this respected ministry receded rapidly following the rise of the Thaksin government in 2001. Until 2006, Thaksin's government interfered with the ministry at every turn. Every policy was tempered and tampered with, especially those that concerned neighbouring countries, because Thaksin's personal vested interests were involved.

Senior officials who followed Thaksin's long wish list were rewarded. Those who dared to challenge him were punished mercilessly and relocated to inactive positions. This helps to explain why the morale of the ministry's officials sank to a low level. Some senior officials still act as if they were nominees of Thaksin, protecting his long-standing interests in neighbouring countries

It is important that the new government restores some much-needed professionalism to the ministry at all levels. First of all, the ministry needs a new direction. Three ministers have come and gone in four months. Nothing substantive was achieved because none of them stayed long enough to do anything. The ever-changing governments also cowed the ministry's officials and forced them into submission. For instance, the negotiation between Thailand and Cambodia over the Preah Vihear Temple dispute has stalled and no decision has been concluded. Furthermore, the 14th ASEAN Summit has been held hostage by the political crisis and rescheduled twice. So it is incumbent for the ministry to get its act together.

The Thai Parliament has a growing role under the constitution of 2007, and elected officials and the Foreign Ministry have not really shown an appreciation of the significance of Article 190, which mandates that all documents affecting the national interest be vetted and approved by Parliament.

Of course, such screening will take time, but it is necessary as part of our democratisation process. Under Thaksin, key foreign policy decisions were made by him alone, with no input from anyone else at all. His decisions were riddled with self-interest. Article 190 was born out of Thaksin's abuse of power.

With the new government, the ministry should come out with new policy orientation that will place the national interest first. It is fortunate that Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva does not own any businesses. So, the ministry should feel free to propose the best policy options regarding our neighbours and the rest of the world.

- The Nation / 2008-12-17

So soon you all forget.....Remember these headlines......a mere 5 years ago, when Thailand own reincarnation of Eide Amine was in power.....

Gandi,,,,,,I think NOT.

THAILAND: Extrajudicial killing, impunity

URGENT ACTION URGENT ACTION URGENT ACTION URGENT ACTION URGENT ACTION

ASIAN HUMAN RIGHTS COMMISSION - URGENT APPEALS PROGRAM

14 February 2003

---------------------------------------------------------------------

UA-08-2003: "War on drugs" death toll rising

THAILAND: Extrajudicial killing, impunity

---------------------------------------------------------------------

SUMMARY

Since February 1, hundreds of alleged drug dealers have been killed in Thailand's latest "war on drugs", launched by Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. While addressing the drug problem in Thailand is a serious matter, the current government is in effect encouraging the police to sidestep judicial procedure and simply execute alleged offenders. This also makes it increasingly easy for the police and other authorities simply to do away with anyone they don't like; indeed, some reports indicate that police have planted drugs and then detained or killed alleged 'suspects'. The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights has requested that a special representative be allowed to visit Thailand to investigate, but has been refused by the Thai authorities. Readers are urged to write to the Prime Minister protesting his "war", which is part of an ongoing and marked attack on human rights and basic civil liberties in Thailand under his government.

DETAILS

On 1 February 2003 the Thai government of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra launched a major crackdown on the drug trade in Thailand, set to last for three months. While a serious effort must be made to address the spiraling drug trade in Thailand, the manner in which the latest campaign has been undertaken is highly problematic. Thousands of people have been arrested and hundreds have been killed under uncertain circumstances. Evidence also suggests that the police have planted evidence in order to carry out arrests and killings.

The Prime Minister is reported to have expressed his satisfaction with the result of the first 10 days of the campaign, during which an estimated 100 people were killed. However, the exact number of casualties is difficult to establish. The Bangkok Post has put the death toll from February 1 to 9 at 183, with 87 of these being drug related. Other media reports cite 144 deaths. NGO sources suggest far higher numbers. But police have accepted responsibility for only about 20 deaths, citing self-defense on their part. Major-General Pongsaphat Pongcharoen alleges that the other deaths were all the result of dealers "killing each other to avoid the risk of betrayal should their accomplices turn themselves in". Prime Minister Thaksin has also defended police, saying, "Do not put the safety of drug dealers above that of police. If the police do not shoot when they fight, they will die." Thailand's Interior Minister, Wan Muhammad Nor Matha has even endorsed the practice of disappearances, by stating that drug dealers should "be put behind bars or even vanish without a trace… Who cares? They are destroying our country."

Apart from those killed, at least 7000 people have been arrested. An additional 70,000 are reported to have turned themselves in, 50,000 of these being drug users afraid of getting hurt or killed either by the police or by their drug dealers.

Police and local officials have been given incentives to carry out as many arrests and killings as possible, including financial bonuses. Many have also been threatened with transfers if they fail to achieve the campaign's objectives.

The actions that the police have been taking in Thailand are in direct violation of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), which Thailand has signed. Article 6(1) of the ICCPR states, "Every human being has the inherent right to life. This right shall be protected by law. No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his life." Article 9 further states, "(1) Everyone has the right to liberty and security of person. No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest or detention… (3) Anyone arrested or detained on a criminal charge shall be brought promptly before a judge or other officer authorized by law to exercise judicial power and shall be entitled to trial within a reasonable time or to release."

The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights has requested that a special envoy visit Thailand to assess the situation, however the government has refused the visit by saying that the appropriate officials were currently unavailable for meetings. The National Human Rights Commission, for its part, will hold talks with the Ministry of Justice and legal experts on February 28.

SUGGESTED ACTION

Please write to the Thai Prime Minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, to express your outrage at the recent extrajudicial killings, disappearances and mass arrests in Thailand. A suggested letter follows:

----------------

Dear Prime Minister

Re: Human rights abuses arising out of anti-drug campaign

I am greatly concerned by the reports of widening human rights abuses arising out of your ongoing campaign against drug dealers. The manner with which alleged suspects are being arrested and killed appears to fall outside of any fair legal procedure. Your government also seems to be creating a climate within which it is easy for the police to arrest and execute people with impunity, regardless of whether or not they are genuinely guilty of any offence.

Just procedure for arrest, trial and punishment is a cornerstone of the rule of law and democracy. When a government tacitly permits extrajudicial killing, disappearances and mass detention it rapidly leads to the erosion of the very foundation upon which all human rights and democratic values stand. Hence, in light of recent events in Thailand, democracy in your country now faces a very grave threat indeed.

I urge you to immediately reassess the manner in which the current campaign against drugs is being undertaken. I fully understand and support your concern about the negative effects of the drug trade on your society, but believe that the methods you are undertaking to eradicate it will be ineffective in the long term and will only lead to a decline in the rule of law in Thailand. I also urge you to arrange for a visit by the Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General on the situation of human rights defenders at the nearest possible date and request that you communicate regularly and seriously with the National Human Rights Commission regarding this ongoing crisis.

Yours sincerely

---

PLEASE SEND YOUR LETTERS TO:

Mr. Thaksin Shinawatra

Prime Minister

Government house,

Pitsanulok Road, Dusit District,

Bangkok 10300

THAILAND

Fax: +66 2 282 8631

Email: [email protected]

SALUTATION: Dear Prime Minister